Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

there were a comparable number of people there it seems like, just less paid to be there (or last year's number was worked after all)

Hopefully this is the case because that's a massive difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Clearly we can almost know the numbers and draw conclusions from them in some fashion.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

hadji murad posted:

Clearly we can almost know the numbers and draw conclusions from them in some fashion.

you know the company announced the number right

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
people yelling about numbers and I just saw Reigns, Vince and Sheamus putting millions of butts in seats advertised

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
what are you even talking about dude

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Nobody is saying there were 10K less people, just 10k less paid people

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Glad to hear this lived up to expectations, probably going to watch it tonight!

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

My favorite part was all the kicking in Ishii/Shibata

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Mob posted:

My favorite part was all the kicking in Ishii/Shibata

That was actually my fav match of the night. Love watching those guys make each other stupid w/ headbutts.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Good to see Japan's even worse about domestic violence than America is. Who woulda thunk that Wifebeater (not Honma) crippled the wrong Big Japan guy?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

All I know is I'm glad there was enough room that people could get in day of. Hannibal Buress wound up finding out about the show going on hours before on Twitter while in the area, and he loved the show :swoon:

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I wasn't in this thread at all but I watched the whole show. I'm not sure where it stands compared to last year's (and I haven't watched much New Japan in between those two shows besides G1), but it was alright.

English commentary was probably better last year, though; I didn't mind Striker much either time, but Kelly wasn't doing anything for me. Yoshi was doing the Larry Zbyszko thing where he cluelessly shuts down any attempt at banter or conversation, which would be frustrating enough even if his English weren't so heavily accented.

I am disappointed that I missed most of the Rumble, I only got to see the end where Jado came in last, Momoka Ariyasu at his side, and won right away. Imagine being Cheeseburger and getting chopped silly by Fujiwara and the like in the Tokyo Dome, by the way.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I think last year was a better show overall but the top two matches were better this year

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Very good show and those last three matches were fuckin dynamite

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Fell asleep right before Naito/Goto last night and just finished watching what I missed and man, what a hell of a show.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
There was more spectacle in 2013 and 2014, but Im calling this years Okada/Tana as the best dome match of the last 3 years. Thought AJ/Naka on first blush was great but it wasnt that close to the main event. Will need to see the top 3 matches again for sure though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I won't be able to watch the show until later tonight or tomorrow, but I can't wait.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
I'm so sad I didn't get to watch this live. Seriously considering going next year.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I tried to get my WWE watching friends to watch this, they watched the first few matches and said how good it was but ended up turning it off halfway through because they "don't know who anyone is". They'll happily watch raw tonight and complain about it.

WWE Stockholm syndrome is real y'all.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Frankston posted:

I tried to get my WWE watching friends to watch this, they watched the first few matches and said how good it was but ended up turning it off halfway through because they "don't know who anyone is". They'll happily watch raw tonight and complain about it.

I never understand the I don't know who these people are argument. If you watch the show you will learn who they are.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

observations watching not live:
  • glad meng showed up as a cool surprise to do nothing and sell nothing and get eliminated off camera
  • glad sakuraba could make it with his black and blue hosed up face from that stupid loving fight gently caress you sakakibara and takada and aoki and that stupid referee and japan
  • not going to watch any more of this in english
  • doraemon
  • spermgod probably would like yujiro's girl if she was packin another 100lb it's bulk season baby
  • the briscoes should be allowed to be racist
  • "TIME SPRITTER" KUSHIDA
  • holy poo poo it's doc yellow
  • there is a star wars man
  • ishii's new music is a good example of how to effectively use sirens rather than wwe cesaro's theme that seems to opts to aurally administer the AIDS virus to the listener
  • just realised i miss kota ibushi
  • ishii & shibata deliver even though they can never top their first match and headbutts sound and look bad
  • The Match is not even once until now
  • he eat the bullet lol
  • styles & nakamura make me miss minoru suzuki because he matched up so well with both, even though he would match up well with a dishrag or a platter of gourmet cheese
  • that knee made me suck all the air i could into my lungs it did the opposite of knock the wind out of me
  • the blackout in okada's entrance faked me out i thoguht they were going for something extravagant
  • the rainmaker clothesline is dead
  • liger is losing his poo poo
  • NOW YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION
  • njpw is like having a drug tolerance, the adrenaline high of the last 5 mins of the main event took hours to build up to but it was really good

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

acai moonsault posted:

observations watching not live:
  • glad sakuraba could make it with his black and blue hosed up face from that stupid loving fight gently caress you sakakibara and takada and aoki and that stupid referee and japan

What happened at RIZIN? I saw e_key_oide tweet a bit about it but he didn't fully say what actually happened.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

acai moonsault posted:

• The Match is not even once until now

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

What happened at RIZIN? I saw e_key_oide tweet a bit about it but he didn't fully say what actually happened.

Sakuraba got the poo poo beat out of him for 6 minutes

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the match not having been once until then did make it feel real special.

what would kota ibushi have been doing here? naito? shibata?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Shinya Aoki mounted Sakuraba and punched him in the face 60 times with no resistance and the ref wouldn't stop the fight

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I wasn't able to watch live, but here are some thoughts:

The junior tag title match was fun (not as fun as last year) but the wrong team won. Ricochet and Sydal should have gotten more shine and taken the belts so we could get a feud with reDRagon. I wasn't happy about the match being a four way as is and now I feel like we will never get a fresh matchup.

The trios match was remarkably boring for featuring four guys that I like and one that I don't mind (Takahashi can gently caress off, especially when he doesn't even bring Mao to the Dome). The finish was completely heatless and seemed mistimed with how long Tama was on the shoulders. I did enjoy that Mark is way more over in Japan than Jay. Also, the Briscoes' dubbed music was pretty rad.

The ROH Title match was good but understandably short. I was surprised that Big Mike stayed down after only one Lethal Injection with how kick fighting spirit he's learned in Japan.

Taguchi Doc Brown did not live up to any hype as KUSHIDA's back up. Omega's thumbs up T2 taunt was next level great. The work on the arm was so good. To compliment, Omega's one armed powerbomb was crazy. Great match. Shame the shoulder was clearly up on the finish though. Glad KUSHIDA got his moment in the Dome but I wish it had just been a defense after holding the belt since his win in the summer.

THAT'S FUCKIN UNDERTAKER STYLE.

Anderson's trunks had to be a Finn Bálor reference with the color scheme and teeth. The match was good but I find it hard to root for Honma as a lovable underdog now. If that really was Karl's last WK, it will be sad to see him go out in a match that wasn't a showcase of his full abilities. At least we got his run in last year's G1 and his IC title match.

Naito/Goto was too short and didn't feel like satisfying with how much of a dick Naito has been.

Shibata/Ishii was exactly what I hoped from the opening bell. These two murdered each other and my boy Katsuyori finally got a drat singles belt for himself. Probably my second favorite match on the card behind the main event.

How did AJ have the cooler entrance attire?? I was expecting so much after King Shinsuke and Ninja Shinsuke appearing in 2015, but all we got was a velour scoop neck top. Very disappointing. The match itself was amazing. High drama building to an insane climax. I don't know how either man will be able to remember tonight after some of those knees.

I have three words for the main event: Six. loving. Stars. It might be one of the best matches I've ever seen. At one point I shifted to the edge of the couch with fists clenched thinking the end was near and then it just kept going and getting more intense.

Overall, a great show but it did feel rushed at times even without the PPV time restraints. I didn't watch the English feed. How bad was Striker?

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 5, 2016

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

acai moonsault posted:

would like yujiro's girl if she was packin another 100lb it's bulk season baby

i don't only like fat girls ya know. i miss mao.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Great White Hope posted:

Peak Striker was him asking Yoshi to explain what baka meant.

I remember it as them acting like it was a swear word they weren't sure they should translate, with Yoshitatsu saying 'stupid or very dumb'.

It really can't be understated how much Yoshitatsu justified his firing from WWE on commentary.

Frankston posted:

Please be fair. The show started off slow, built to a climax. Most of the match until the last 3 didn't have much heat, and overall weren't that great.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 5, 2016

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Wazzu posted:

It really can't be understated how much Yoshitatsu justified his firing from WWE on commentary.

When he was announced in the role on Twitter I told people to expect him to be horrible. People that I was being mean or whatever. But he's a dumb, awkward guy. In WWE he was known as being difficult to work with as he just doesn't have his wits about him but was too nice ever to get angry towards. You'd probably be told off by the locker room if you did.

rovert fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 5, 2016

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I expected his niceness and personality to translate well on commentary

On the bright side, that's probably the last chance I give New Japan English commentary

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Chris James 2 posted:

I expected his niceness and personality to translate well on commentary

On the bright side, that's probably the last chance I give New Japan English commentary

I remember liking Striker once.....

now he's a parody of himself, the worst kind of wrestling nerd who thinks he's really cool and awesome and down with the kids and making sick references. While using the term 'sick reference, bro' without irony.'

Kevin Kelly was milquetoast

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
English commentary, eh? It was okay imo. Kelly is bearable and I don't dislike Striker any more or less than a typical WWE announcer. I was okay with Yoshi until he failed at the one thing he was really meant to do, which was translate the on mic promos. Man he was terrible at that.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Matt Striker was awesome the few times I saw him on the screen. Granted, that was with the Japanese commentary on and with English commentary muted, but Matt Striker talking without saying any words was probably the best commentary work he's ever done.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was ok with the english commentary when they weren't trying to force Yoshi into it.

Hearing Yoshi being legit upset about AJ Styles hurting him was kind of funny though.

theminx
Jun 7, 2007
I has a bucket.
Watched yesterday Morning, was planning on watching live but got food poisoning.

Top to bottom the show was very fun, as all Professional Wrestling should be.

The top half of the card was a bit better, obviously, and with seeing 3 potential 5 star matches back to back and all entirely unique and different is amazing. New Japan has been on a tear and always delivers.

That being said, the news that broke hours after the show and into Monday Night hurts big time. I have little doubt that New Japan will presevere, and honestly this could potentially be better with more people getting shuffled around the card.

The Match is not even once until now is my pick for MoTN.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Are there official Meltzer snowflakes for this yet?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sub Rosa posted:

Are there official Meltzer snowflakes for this yet?

Can't remember which thread they were posted in, but yes.

Pre-Show Rumble: *
Young Bucks vs Fish & O’Reilly vs Sydal & Ricochet vs RPG ***3/4
Toru Yano & Briscoes vs Fale, Tama Tonga and Takahashi **
Lethal vs Elgin ***1/4
Kushida vs Omega ****
Makabe & Honma vs MGKA and Doc Gallows ***3/4
Goto vs Naito ***3/4
Shibata vs Ishii ****1/2
Styles vs Nakamura ****3/4
Okada vs Tanahashi *****

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was the English commentary feed version of New Year Dash different in video to the Japanese one? It featured the English commentary team on screen quite a few times, but not the Japanese one (whereas WK10 was just the Japanese team with the English commentary muted on top).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There was only English commentary, no excited Japanese guys losing their loving minds during matches :sigh:

• Locked thread