Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Is anyone looking to hire a programmer in Nashville? Flexible on front-end or back-end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Analytic Engine posted:

Is anyone looking to hire a programmer in Nashville? Flexible on front-end or back-end.

Check your PMs, I might have some good connections for you.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Analytic Engine posted:

there might be some openings with bridgestone, they're my client, I don't have listings or anything, but I would try to check them out.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Welp, my position was just made redundant, so I needs a new job pdq. Anyone looking to hire a Linux/Unix admin in the DFW area?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Welp, my position was just made redundant, so I needs a new job pdq. Anyone looking to hire a Linux/Unix admin in the DFW area?

Describe why you don't suck.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

H110Hawk posted:

Thats a hard argument to make when I paid to post on this here forum.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

H110Hawk posted:

And after you successfully do the above :wink: , message me and I'll hook you up with a recruiter in my Dallas office.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Eh, I may as well throw this out here:

Job Seeker:

My experience: 9 years in IT, 6 years working with Cisco devices, running the gambit from design, implementation, and support. Have configured and installed routers from 1900 to ASRs, switches from 2960s to 9000 series Nexus, 2504 and 5508 controllers, lightweight and autonomous APs, CUCM clusters, 5500 series ASAs, and a few others I'm not thinking of at the moment. I'm used to being the sole network engineer at a site with 1800+ users, with the majority of the work being security and consulting related. I'm pretty good user facing as well, nothing but positive feedback with the people I work with and I'm fairly extroverted.

Active CCNP, CCNA, CWNA certifications. Expect to have CCDA by the end of the month with a CCDP probably within 6 months.

What I'm looking for: Network Engineer II / Senior Network Engineer

What I'm NOT looking for: Junior jobs. Contract-to-hire.

Where I live: Clayton, CA

Where I'm looking: A 40 mile radius around the Portland, OR area. Wife already has a job there and I've love to follow her up there. :)

When I can start: 3-4 weeks

Requirements: Full-time positions with benefits.

Can be reached via: thread, PM, or email (kirios86 at gmail dot com)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My company is now hiring for a Windows sysadmin position in Boston as well. Edited version of my previous posting below. I don't know offhand if relocation assistance is available for this job. But if that's the only thing stopping you from asking about it, hit me up and I'll check with management.

We're also still hiring for a senior Linux sysadmin in Boston!

Docjowles posted:

Job Posting

Boston, MA. Walking distance from North Station.

Who We Are
Subsidiary of TripAdvisor focused on building outstanding software platforms for finding, booking, and advertising trips.

What We Need
Mid-level to senior Windows and network admin. This role would be a blend of internal IT and "DevOps" for lack of a better word. Our office IT infrastructure (AD, GPO, WSUS, DNS/DHCP) needs some love, but we're only a couple hundred users so that's not a full-time job long-term. We've also acquired some companies that run their production infrastructure on Windows and we'd love to integrate that into our Chef and OpenStack environments. But we need someone with Windows chops to do it.

This is a dedicated server admin role. We have a separate help desk team and an IT Manager who handle the day to day "oh god i unplugged my computer and now it won't turn on" issues.

Why Work Here?
Very competetive salary and benefits (health, retirement w/ match, stock, reimbursements for lots of common expenses)
Catered lunch several times per week. Free snacks and drinks.
We get the freedom of a startup inside of a larger corporation with deep pockets that we can leverage when necessary
Work on small teams that directly impact the success of the business
Great respect for work/life balance

If you have experience with some of these, we'd love to hear from you!:
Strong Windows Server administration experience
Basic to mid-level networking/firewall/VPN experience
PowerShell scripting a huge plus
Experience with Windows DSC and config management (Chef, Puppet, etc) a huge plus
Microsoft SQL Server experience a plus
Interpersonal communication skills. You'll be working with developers and business stakeholders daily

Interested?If you'd like to talk, send me a PM or email jhenry 82 at the google mail thing

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

This, but desktop support / junior administrator in the Northern Colorado area. I'm taking my CCENT on the 19th, I've got hardware and software support experience, AD/O365 account administration, Meraki network monitoring.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Here we go. I figure I'll throw my name out there just in case there are any openings with my name on them.

My Experience: 10+ years in customer service experience, 2+ years in phone-related troubleshooting and technical support, experience in HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Visual Basic 6 (Yeah, my current job actually uses it). I'm currently working at a print vendor as a customer/technical support role that combines dealing with upset customers, programming, and small levels of graphic design.

I've got a BA in Psychology with a minor in Sociology but I have an A+ certification from the year 2000. So basically I don't have the school-degree for technical work, but I do have a cert to back up the fact that I'm at least basically, conceptually competent. I'm willing to get more certs, I just don't have the time now. I'm great at working under supervision, on my own, or even supervising others. I can get along with others very well and pick things up pretty quickly.

What I'm looking for: Something entry level, or near entry level. Anything that will help me build skills I need to keep progressing. I'd love something that could train me to be better than I am right now- either software or hardware related since I have an aptitude in both but don't excel in either just yet.

What I'm NOT looking for: A dead-end job, sales, or anything I'm HOPELESSLY under-qualified for.

Where I live: Lilburn, GA (near Stone Mountain, GA)

Where I'm looking: The metro Atlanta area, preferrably the northeast side of the perimeter. If it's a good enough job I won't complain, though. Currently I have a 60-90 minute commute to Alpharetta. Ideally I'd like to drive less.

When I can start: I'd like to give a two week's notice, a little more if at all possible. I really like my co-workers and company, and would love to give them a bit of time to hire and train someone to replace me.

Requirements: Must be in the metro Atlanta area and must pay in the $40-50k/year range.

Can be reached via: PM, erion42@gmail.com

Also, if there are any specific skills people can recommend I wouldn't mind picking up and completing a Udemy course (since they're so drat cheap right now (unless there's the general consensus that Udemy is poo poo)).

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 19, 2016

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This, but desktop support / junior administrator in the Northern Colorado area. I'm taking my CCENT on the 19th, I've got hardware and software support experience, AD/O365 account administration, Meraki network monitoring.
Goddammit why can't you be in DFW like the other guy?

I posted this same basic opening last summer, and we need to add another person already, we can't stop hiring people all over the place.

Who we are: Professional services firm with several offices in the US, and a couple of international offices

What we're looking for: Tier 1 tech support. Currently the IT department is three people, and we need a fourth so we can take care of our increasing employee population. I am at the point where I spend most of my time in meetings and conference calls, and there is no longer enough time to baby sit everyone and all of their requests. We need someone that is comfortable talking to people on the phone, being polite when the other party is losing their mind due to technical issues, and isn't afraid to figure out whatever the problem is and fix it, or escalate if you can't.

The Good: The IT department is pretty autonomous as no one else in the company has really any idea what we do, or how we do it. I wouldn't even know who the 4th most knowledgeable IT person is. While I would not be your boss, I would be your boss's boss, and I am generally a real good time as long as you show up to work and work while you're here. There is plenty of time for goofing off and I try to spend as much of my day laughing or making other people laugh as possible. The IT department is very tight knit and basically operates under an all-for-one, one-for-all approach. If someone is getting slammed with whatever, we all pitch in to get the work done.

The Bad: For being the market leader in the work that we do, our employees are that much clueless when it comes to computers. I had to argue with an employee once that claimed he never had to press the send button in Outlook to actually send an email. He had been using outlook for 10 years at that point and was unable to explain how he sent emails without pressing the send button. This same employee complained this week his skin heat was causing his phone to unlock and randomly call people.

Benefits: Employee-only health insurance is heavily employer subsidized, 401(k) match is 100% up to 5% of your salary, along with the usual insurance benefits. Another benefit is that you would get to work in a department run by me, a goon. Also, this is great for someone who wants to focus on whatever you want to focus on. There will be times when the phone isn't ringing, and if you want to work on Group Policy, or tweaking VM performance, or network switch configuration, or whatever you care about, you will have the opportunity to do so.

We are a Microsoft only shop, I think our web guy uses a mac book, but whatever. Also they are pretty much letting me throw money at whatever to improve our technology infrastructure, so if you have ideas about how you would improve someone's tech setup, we will listen to them, and probably implement them if they aren't terrible. Or you are stupid.

PM me for more info.

Also, we fairly recently hired a goon's wife for our front desk position, so this place is probably not so bad. I've been here going on twelve years, for whatever that's worth.

carlcarlson fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 9, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Try bars. I managed to get a couple good job leads for the L2/3 positions I am looking for going and getting drunk in Addison tonight.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

FuriousAngle posted:

Requirements: I'm making x a year right now, so I'd ideally like to stick around that. More if possible, but I can't take much of a pay-cut because my wife is between jobs at

drat son, I work helpdesk in the same area and make more than you. With your experience, you are worth way more than x. Don't settle for that amount or you'll get underpaid for the rest of your career.

lambeth fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 19, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

lambeth posted:

drat son, I work helpdesk in the same area and make more than you. With your experience, you are worth way more than $34k. Don't settle for that amount or you'll get underpaid for the rest of your career.

Yeah don't tell anyone your prior salary.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

H110Hawk posted:

How do you answer when a recruiter/HR drone brings up salary in the first call, like in an initial screening before even having an interview?

Curious on the correct way to handle it since I got lucky in the one time it came up, so I threw out an absurd high number and it ended up working out in my favor. The recruiter owned up to the position paying below market and apologized for wasting my time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

air- posted:

How do you answer when a recruiter/HR drone brings up salary in the first call, like in an initial screening before even having an interview? =

Tell them, "That's something I privately negotiated with my employer and not only that I can't really throw out a number without seeing what the additional benefits are with the position."

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

air- posted:

How do you answer when a recruiter/HR drone brings up salary in the first call, like in an initial screening before even having an interview?

Curious on the correct way to handle it since I got lucky in the one time it came up, so I threw out an absurd high number and it ended up working out in my favor. The recruiter owned up to the position paying below market and apologized for wasting my time.

I usually just ask what the pay band is, and a yes/no if what I want falls within it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

air- posted:

"I was told by my employer that my pay was confidential. I assume you will as well so I want to demonstrate that I will keep that promise. What did you have in mind for the position for someone with my experience?"

Either you're low enough on the totem pole that they will just tell you the salary they're going to pay (L1 helpdesk) or you're high enough that you can somewhat dictate your terms. They do genuinely want to know, but most of them want to find out if they can give you a "killer raise" and still underpay you compared to your coworkers.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 10, 2016

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Regardless of what you currently get paid you should do the research and know what you want to get paid. Don't tell them what you get paid, if they insist on a hard number just say "based on my experience, I would need a salary of X to accept this position." Make it a high number; if it's close to their range and they want you more than casually they'll negotiate. If not, it saves everyone some time.

If someone absolutely insists on you telling them your past or current salary, cut it off early. Not worth your time.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

lambeth posted:

drat son, I work helpdesk in the same area and make more than you. With your experience, you are worth way more than $34k. Don't settle for that amount or you'll get underpaid for the rest of your career.

Haha, yeah, thanks! I actually remember talking to you about a possible part-time job back in 2013.

And yeah, this job was kind of born out of desperation. It was good to get away from retail and banking, but I need to get something else and that really means hopping to another company, I think. So... still lookin'.

H110Hawk posted:

Do you mean don't tell new employers my prior salary, or don't tell anyone here? Or was that not directed to me?

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 11, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FuriousAngle posted:

Do you mean don't tell new employers my prior salary, or don't tell anyone here? Or was that not directed to me?

New employers your previous salary.

But seeing what this thread is, you might be messing that up by telling someone in here!

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
So I just graduated with my BA in Computer Science less than 30 days ago. Im trying to find a job as a software engineer and Ive been sending out applications to various places but so far havent heard back from anyone. To complicate matters I just got laid off from my retail sales job. So now I my income is probably half/nil depending on how my unemployment application goes but on the bright side I have plenty of time for job seeking! I'm kinda lost as to what to do to get a computer programming job, the career counselor at my college is not a programmer so I wanted to get some advice from you guys.

Some stuff about me:
Graduated from UMUC with BA in Computer Science

1 years retail experience
3 years food service experience

Languages I know in order from most comfortable to least comfortable: C++, Java, C, HTML, PHP, SQL, Python

I write code in my spare time with an emphasis on 3d graphics / game design. Right now I've got two projects of significance:
- One builds a goldberg polyhedron of any chosen size from scratch and displays it in a window. Was going to be a stepping stone to a 3d world map for a strategy game I had an idea for. The hard part was actually figuring the algorithm to find the xyz of each vertex of the polyhedron
- A 3d game engine for a voxel based world, sort of like Minecraft although the game was going to go in a completely different direction. Notable features are multithreading and shaders.

I'm not 100% sure what kind of job im looking for right now. I'm not necessarily looking for something involving 3d design. I'm aiming for a job that focuses more where I can use problem solving skills rather than designing a GUI or something like that.

Diabl0658 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 11, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Diabl0658 posted:

So I just graduated with my BA in Computer Science less than 30 days ago. Im trying to find a job as a software engineer and Ive been sending out applications to various places but so far havent heard back from anyone. To complicate matters I just got laid off from my retail sales job. So now I my income is probably half/nil depending on how my unemployment application goes but on the bright side I have plenty of time for job seeking! I'm kinda lost as to what to do to get a computer programming job, the career counselor at my college is not a programmer so I wanted to get some advice from you guys.

Some stuff about me:

Languages I know in order from most comfortable to least comfortable: C++, Java, C, HTML, PHP, SQL, Python

I write code in my spare time with an emphasis on 3d graphics / game design. Right now I've got two projects of significance:
- One builds a goldberg polyhedron of any chosen size from scratch and displays it in a window. Was going to be a stepping stone to a 3d world map for a strategy game I had an idea for. The hard part was actually figuring the algorithm to find the xyz of each vertex of the polyhedron
- A 3d game engine for a voxel based world, sort of like Minecraft although the game was going to go in a completely different direction. Notable features are multithreading and shaders.

I'm not 100% sure what kind of job im looking for right now. I'm not necessarily looking for something involving 3d design. I'm aiming for a job that focuses more where I can use problem solving skills rather than designing a GUI or something like that.

Get a recruiter, it's free to you which means it's going to be a nightmare to wade through the shysters to find someone who actually knows their stuff. They are paid upwards of 33% of your annual salary for a 90-day placement, as low as 10% of your annual salary. Ask them for help writing your resume, but take it with a grain of salt. I've seen some REALLY BAD resumes come in from recruiters. UMUC is not going to be opening doors for you, sorry. I had to google what it was, and it doesn't seem to advertise a "non-profit" status despite being public. You should make sure that your code is available on github and easily found by googling your name, add your github name to your linkedin profile and resume.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

New employers your previous salary.

But seeing what this thread is, you might be messing that up by telling someone in here!

Hah, yeah, the first part I figured. .. too late to do anything about the "telling the other goons in this thread my current salary neighborhood" because it's already been quoted. C'est la vie.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I'm sure people would be willing to unquote the value.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FuriousAngle posted:

Hah, yeah, the first part I figured. .. too late to do anything about the "telling the other goons in this thread my current salary neighborhood" because it's already been quoted. C'est la vie.

Just because people in this thread know your current salary doesn't mean you have to settle for it. Talk to a recruiter.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Diabl0658 posted:

Some stuff about me:

I know things are different since 1997, when I got my first programming job, but my advice is to apply for any and every job that involves programming. First, most jobs don't actually expect you to have all the skills they list. In fact, I'm in my 5th developer position, and haven't had the requested skill set for any of them. People understand that knowing how to program is more important than any specific platform, and the list of skills in a job ad is generally just an idealized wish list. If they really want only people with specific skill sets, they just won't call you back. Second, it's more important to get into position and start getting experience and paying your bills than it is to score a perfect job that exactly matches your interests your first time out. Third, once you have that first job, you'll have to spend time learning the platform and the other ropes for your position. Once you've achieved competence at that, you can start expanding your skills in areas that interest you more. In this industry, you have to keep learning and exploring new things all the time anyway, so don't feel like you'll be stuck forever writing commission reports just because your first job involves that. And no matter what position you find yourself in, use it as a learning experience.

My first job was doing point-of-sale software for retails stores, even though my interests were in science and math. It took me 3-6 months to really catch on to the database software they used (my first day of work, I didn't really know what a database was, or what it was for), and after roughly a year, I was pretty competent, and contributing some pretty good code. That's when I started taking other classes and looking around for new jobs. After another year, I scored a really cool gig at a research institute. These days, you can do a lot of coursework online for free, so you shouldn't even have to request time off to go to class, or have awkward conversations with your boss about why you're taking classes that have nothing to do with your role at the company.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Quoting myself because I'm still looking for that right (non-MSP) fit. I do now have the VCP5-DCV certification as well.

Cavepimp posted:

Job Seeker

Who am I?:
An IT generalist systems administrator/engineer with 15 years of experience managing Windows environments who enjoys a good challenge. In addition to the normal Windows stuff, I'm well versed in Exchange, SQL, CRM, SharePoint, networking and firewalls, VMware, Hyper-V, EMC VNX and VNXe storage, and have spent the past 8 years or so heavily focused on overhaul and upgrade projects. The past couple years, in addition to handing engineering/admin duties, I took on more managerial/supervisory stuff like hiring/firing, project planning and management, sitting in pointless meetings, and writing policies and procedures. I am also intimately familiar with PCI compliance but have mixed feelings actually typing that.

What I'm looking for
Ideally, I want to correct course and head back down a technical path that has a focus on virtualization, storage, or possibly compliance/security. VMware is the most interesting to me, and I'm about to sit for the VCP5 exam in the next few weeks. At the end of the day, I am really looking for an environment where I am an expert on a particular discipline and not spread as thin as I have been in recent years.

What I'm not looking for
Helpdesk, desktop support, junior positions, overly-generalist situations, or MSPs (unless there is a senior/specialist role)

Where I'm Looking For It
Portland, OR and the surrounding areas. I could probably be convinced to move slightly farther away if the situation was perfect.

Requirements
Health, dental, 401k, decent PTO. Salary should be in the general range of $100k, give or take

How to reach me: Email me at cavepimp AT gmail

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Job Seeker

Education

Freshly minted graduate as of December. I graduated summa cum laude (3.8+ GPA) and as an honors student.
BS in computer science with a mathematics minor and BFA in art. That focused primarily on ceramics but I know some digital stuff too.
Along the way I wandered about doing various things. Did photography for the school paper briefly, public relations for a student org, and piles of art shows.

What I'm Looking For

I'd like to find me a programming sort of thing. I have to pay back my student loans now and go back to the real world so I need to go where the money is. The computer science degree jobs pay better so I'm gearing up to be a software developer. I'll move away if need be but would prefer to stay in this area of the world. I live north of Pittsburgh at the moment. A remote position would be fantastic but I realize I don't necessarily have enough experience for that. Aside from that it should also be mentioned that flex hours are kind of a necessity. I have weird sleeping issues and can't keep a consistent schedule. I can certainly be around for meetings at set times but "you must be in the office precisely at 9 a.m. every day" is not something I can accomplish easily for long periods of time.

Ideally it would be great to use both of my degrees but I would not complain about only using the CS one. I do like to program. I'm honestly not particularly picky about what; I found that code in general is just fascinating and I'm happy to be elbows-deep in basically any project. I'm very curious and not afraid of new things I don't know about.

What I'm Not Looking For

Minimum wage, part time stuff. I will absolutely not do spec work. I'm not interested in tech support either. I am also not in a financial situation that allows me to do unpaid internships. I...kind of badly need money.

Skills

My primary language is C#. We used it a lot in school and I like to program games in my spare time using Unity. It was also what we ended up using for the capstone course's project. I also have familiarity with C++, Java, Assembly, JavaScript, Processing, HTML, and CSS at various levels. I'd certainly be willing to learn more and am working on improving my knowledge of web stuff. I've also read about SQL but never actually used it.

Course work beyond what was required includes basic electronics, linear algebra, extra levels of calculus, and extra discrete mathematics. I also took an AI class and focused my final honors project on AI and games programming. I can send the paper I wrote if that is desired but won't link it publicly. It involves using neural network concepts for path finding and decision making.

I also know some things about 3D graphics, modelling, and pixel art but not enough to do earth-shattering work. They are things I'm working on improving; they're mediocre right now.

How To Reach Me

PM me here or send e-mail to my username at gmail.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I actually need to move kind of urgently to Florida, so here's a new job seeker post.

Job Seeker:
My experience: Almost 2 years years doing software and hardware support on windows PCs, phones, servers, and printers. I've done remote control, hands-on, and phone based walk-through support. I administrate (but don't create) AD accounts and O365 accounts.
What I'm looking for: Preferably a Jr. systems/newtork administrator role / T2 help desk, but I'll consider T1. Alternately, a full time junior/internship level programming job. I'm finishing my AS in CS this semester, I completed all the CS classes already. I do Java and C++, I got trained on C# and SQL at my last job but never used it.
What I'm NOT looking for: Scripted helpdesk, dedicated printer support.
Where I live: Fort Collins, CO
Where I'm looking: Florida. I'm not picky where, but I have to be able to at least commute from someplace not at 4x the national average violent crime rate.
When I can start: As soon as I can arrange a rental and move down there. Probably ~2 weeks.
Requirements: Health insurance, full time.
Can be reached via: thread, eargesplittenSA@yahoo.com

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you are okay with the Ft.Lauderdale area and an MSP, shoot me a PM. I may be able to hook you up with someone.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Trying this again because I just CANNOT. TAKE. ANOTHER. DAY. HERE! These days, I don't get to do much development. I do bitchwork. All of us devs do. I spend my days wasting away making spreadsheets (I taught myself Visual Basic to write a special macro for an assignment FFS), proofreading the writers' content (again, I am a DEVELOPER. You have serious problems if you need an engineer-ish guy to proof your stuff), oh, and since our IT department is so incompetent, we have to maintain our servers, that means we're going to be on-call soon.

But wait! There's more! HR is clamping down even harder on everyone, time wise. Now, clocking in at 9:05am instead of 9:00 earns you disciplinary action (I leave an hour early each day, I still can cut it close if there's a wreck on the bridge). Oh, and my boss hinted that he might not be able to shield me from HR anymore.

Anyone need a PHP guy OR a dev that i will happily learn whatever tech stack your company uses? Either this is a slow time of the year, or Tampa Bay is flooded with developers, but there's nothing out there PHP-wise to apply for. gently caress.

Someone hire me! :(

Dolemite posted:

I've been decently happy with the company I work for now, but things are changing and not for the better. This place is VERY strict on attendance (as in, us developers have to clock in/out. Even for our lunch breaks), offers no flex time and no sick time. Oh, and do you have a doctor's appointment? Kid in the hospital? Emergency fire at the house or something? Well, we used to be able to come in early or stay late over the week to make up the time if we needed to leave early for a doctor's appointment, etc.

Then, HR nixed that! So you gotta take PTO. Oh, used up your PTO? Then if you have a doctor's appointment, you get to take unpaid leave. So far, my manager is okay with me coming in a little later and staying a little later on days I have my son and take him to school. But I gotta worry about just how long HR lets me get away with that. If they nix that, then I'm screwed (anything over ~10 minutes is late and earns you a write up. Get a few of those and you're canned. Even if you tell a manager way ahead of time).

I kinda need to find something else before bad poo poo happens. So...

Job Seeker

Who am I?: A full-stack LAMP developer. I have 5+ years experience developing with PHP (OOP, MVC style), Javascript and I have strong MySQL skills. In addition, I use industry standard tech such as jQuery, SASS, Bootstrap. While not a day-to-day thing, I have written mobile apps for both the iOS and Android platforms (native code - Objective C and Java respectively, not something like Phonegap). Update: I've been learning Angular/Node on the front end, and our company is moving to the Laravel PHP framework, so I'm getting up to speed with that framework as well. Not too hard since MVC frameworks gonna framework.

I have experience working in many different fields and so I feel I would be able to adapt quickly to any environment. I have worked in the advertising, medical, educational, correctional and non-profit sectors. I enjoy new and varied experiences.

Oh, and of course, I'm a tech nerd; So I have taught myself a decent amount of Ruby/RoR, C# and have toyed around with microcontrollers, the Rasbperry Pi and so on. I have experience writing apps with C# so I can come back up to speed with that.

What I'm looking for
A mid to senior web developer role. Ideally with PHP, but I am more than willing to learn whatever language(s) and tools are used by the company. And in the case of Ruby or C#, I'd be more than happy to refresh myself on those languages, assuming the company won't mind me having to take the time to come up to speed.

What I'm not looking for
General IT, Sysadmin stuff, technical support, etc.

Where I'm Looking For It
The Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater, Florida area. I'm based in St. Petersburg.

Requirements
Health, dental, 401k, - your typical stuff. Also, as a single parent, FLEX TIME is a must. When I am on the job, I will absolutely give you my 100%. But having to usher an autistic child out the door, to his school and fight nightmarish Tampa traffic means there will be some days where I end up coming in a little later than others. Work from home is a definite plus.

If your company is a real stickler for time schedules and reprimands you for being 1 minute late (I got a talking to for being literally 3 minutes "late" when I had to take my son to school in the morning - and I'm not the only dev that has been on the receiving end of these lectures.), we won't be a good match.

How to reach me: I don't have plat, so e-mail me at jmgolz AT gmail DOT com

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dolemite posted:

Trying this again because I just CANNOT. TAKE. ANOTHER. DAY. HERE! These days, I don't get to do much development. I do bitchwork. All of us devs do. I spend my days wasting away making spreadsheets (I taught myself Visual Basic to write a special macro for an assignment FFS), proofreading the writers' content (again, I am a DEVELOPER. You have serious problems if you need an engineer-ish guy to proof your stuff), oh, and since our IT department is so incompetent, we have to maintain our servers, that means we're going to be on-call soon.

But wait! There's more! HR is clamping down even harder on everyone, time wise. Now, clocking in at 9:05am instead of 9:00 earns you disciplinary action (I leave an hour early each day, I still can cut it close if there's a wreck on the bridge). Oh, and my boss hinted that he might not be able to shield me from HR anymore.

Anyone need a PHP guy OR a dev that i will happily learn whatever tech stack your company uses? Either this is a slow time of the year, or Tampa Bay is flooded with developers, but there's nothing out there PHP-wise to apply for. gently caress.

Someone hire me! :(

I don't know if we are accepting remote people for the position, but I sent it to you anyways via our internal requisition tracking system. Also it's in python. But you know, who knows!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I don't know if we are accepting remote people for the position, but I sent it to you anyways via our internal requisition tracking system. Also it's in python. But you know, who knows!

I got the jobvite e-mail. Thanks for sending that my way! :)

I'll give applying for it a whirl.

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit
edit: I made it better

Job Posting

America. Seriously, 8 big datacenters, 60+ offices, no problem with working from home full-time

Who we are
Banking software company made of 3 brands and 250+ products, doing everything for financial institutions of every size. We're also large enough to have a substantial non-IT staff presence, for things like accounting, HR, education, print shop, and physical security.

What we're looking for
Everyone, though developers, network admins, SQL DBAs, and AS400-types are currently raking it in. If you want an AS-400 related position there is a literal cash bonus program specifically to attract you.

Storage, ethical hackers, developers of every conceivable stripe, anyone who can work Wireshark, hell we even are hiring call center folks as fast as we can due to a ridiculous growth rate

The Good
* Very generous scheduling, with a heavy presence of working from home part- or full-time.
* Tremendous benefits. I saved about 150$/mo in health insurance, with better coverage, when I switched to JHA. We even have things like $13,000 for child adoption and $9000/yr in grad school reimbursement.
* Similarly generous PTO
* Stock plan is baller, company recently went public but employees still hold majority share
* Also tremendous internal Education department willing to train you to do most anything
* We own several planes and pilots, which you can not only use free but results in people in Monett Missouri flying out to Allen Texas for a daily work commute, no big deal.
* Company has no debt, so things like 2008 didn't result in any kind of workforce reduction or loss of benefits. Job security will exist so long as banks use computers.

The Bad
* We are actually 3 brands and several hundred acquisitions wrapped around some core products. This means departments are often fiefdoms. One department may let you work from home full time, another might demand you come to the office 40hours a week.
* Hope you like the corporate environment.

How do I apply

http://careers.jackhenry.com/jobs/

I have no hiring power and won't be at any interviews. However I've worked here for 2 years and my team is one of the ones that are hiring. If you're a SQL DBA, Windows admin, or Cloud (azure) admin, you can apply for my department here in Springfield Mo. I'll happily answer questions over PM

Biggest tip: Apply for each position you are interested in individually. We do a terrible job sharing applicants between departments

US Foreign Policy fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 17, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'd be interested in the Azure stuff, but I suppose I'd have to at the very least re-locate to those locations?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 17, 2016

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

US Foreign Policy posted:

edit: I made it better

Job Posting

Man, I wish I had any experience as a SQL DBA... I use SQL Server every day but all my responsibilities are ground-level grunt work :< This looks like an outstanding company to work for.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Removed

air- fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

air- posted:

Job Seeker

My experience: 6.5 years of financial analysis and IT/related experience in professional services, databases, and technical support. My most recent positions were client facing software implementation roles.

Education: BS in Finance

What I'm looking for: Similar client facing positions: implementation, consulting, account management, or pre/post-sales engineer. Customer success/support and business analyst positions sound good too!

Where I'm looking: Portland, OR and surrounding areas, remote

Requirements: Full time, benefits, WFH, education/travel reimbursement etc all negotiable. Can also do contractor positions that lead into full-time positions.

My company has an opening in Portland that may be of interest. I don't have PM so can contact me at saforumsguy99@yahoo.com and I'll send you more info.