Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mayodreams posted:

I have zero sympathy because RAID5 in a workplace is a really bad idea, and it really should be RAID6 or RAID10. What it comes down to is a lack of understanding on what the actual risks are, and where your points of failure lie. Given 3 RAID cards, the solution is not to stripe them in RAID0, especially for consumer grade SSDs.

If he could have put those cards into HBA mode and used a software raid that was NOT windows, like ZFS, and then even did a RAIDz1, he would have had a much better experience. Hell, even just using Windows Storage Spaces in HBA mode would have been better.

That is just a prime example of someone 'good with computers' who tries doing a business class (not even enterprise) implementation based on those principals is basically doomed to fail.

RAID 10 or RAID 60 are my go to favorites. ZFS is my quick, easy, and reliable favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Buy Once, Cry Once.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Pretty general question here, stabbing in the dark a few goog searches didn't help me.

I just got a Synology DS214se and am talking to it with my BIOSTAR TZ68A+ talking across gigabit network with a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

I managed to get all my videos transferred over the network at ~55MB/s which is what the Synology's writes are rated for, I've successfully streamed to my raspberry pi and Crashplan seems to be working nicely over it. I downloaded a video directly to the Synology over BT which worked fine.

I have a bunch of torrents that I'm seeding, I mapped the synology drive to have an identical drive letter and file structure. I have to force uTorrent to recheck the files, it does so, but after 5-20 minutes I get a hard lock. The files it reads before freezing appear to be fine and will seed but after some point, old fashioned frozen screen. Updated the network driver and still have the same results.

I'm just fishing here, does any of this ring a bell? I can update\or change my torrent client, maybe change settings within the network card driver or on the synology itself. Everything seems like a pretty big shot in the dark at this point.

Thanks!

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Pause all of them and then unpause a small number at a time and force rechecks. I seem to recall having to do something similar a while back. Alternately, install Transmission or Deluge on the Synology box and run your torrents straight from it, so you're not hammering the poo poo out of your network. Remember, what you're doing is passing traffic from the Internet -> PC -> NAS and back, so it's going through your network twice to accomplish anything.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
Synology has its own torrent client called Download Station that will just let you run torrents direct from the unit.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can also install transmission which is infinitely better.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Could probably also get rtorrent on there or something if you really wanted.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
edit: ^^^ Yea, this. It's already in the SynoCommunity pack. One click install, basically.

Don Lapre posted:

You can also install transmission which is infinitely better.

You can also install rTorrent/ruTorrent which is even infinitely better than Transmission.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey dudes, I just sold my PC and I've pulled one of the drives out (a 500GB WD Caviar Blue) and am wanting to use that as a data point for important things like photos, tax information, documents etc. and think a NAS might be the best option?

I have a couple of questions;
1) I know the recommended drive(s) are/used to be Caviar Red/Green, will this drive be okay to use (showing zero errors or bad sectors), in a sense of "will it overhear and die" in a NAS?
2) Assuming it's acceptable to use, what's a recommended 2 Bay NAS (the cheaper the better) by goons? Essentially I will want to access these documents anywhere and add poo poo as I go.
3) Once I have the HDD in the NAS and installed, can I still read the old data on there?
4) I can obviously run a 2 bay NAS with only one HDD? (I realise 500GB is relatively small, hence the want for a 2 bay for the future).

Appreciate any responses!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I know I have all these other options, I was just hoping to keep my old torrents alive. Is having the Synology itself running the torrents pretty well regarded around here? Any other random tips/advice for a new Synology owner? Anything I should do with the NIC settings in device manager?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Guni posted:

Hey dudes, I just sold my PC and I've pulled one of the drives out (a 500GB WD Caviar Blue) and am wanting to use that as a data point for important things like photos, tax information, documents etc. and think a NAS might be the best option?

I have a couple of questions;
1) I know the recommended drive(s) are/used to be Caviar Red/Green, will this drive be okay to use (showing zero errors or bad sectors), in a sense of "will it overhear and die" in a NAS?
2) Assuming it's acceptable to use, what's a recommended 2 Bay NAS (the cheaper the better) by goons? Essentially I will want to access these documents anywhere and add poo poo as I go.
3) Once I have the HDD in the NAS and installed, can I still read the old data on there?
4) I can obviously run a 2 bay NAS with only one HDD? (I realise 500GB is relatively small, hence the want for a 2 bay for the future).

Appreciate any responses!

How old is the 500GB drive?

The NAS is more about data availability, rather than providing a complete backup solution. You'll want to use a cloud based backup system like crashplan for important irreplaceable stuff. I feel the main purpose of my NAS is to avoid having to restore my backup from crashplan, since that would take awhile.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

fletcher posted:

How old is the 500GB drive?

The NAS is more about data availability, rather than providing a complete backup solution. You'll want to use a cloud based backup system like crashplan for important irreplaceable stuff. I feel the main purpose of my NAS is to avoid having to restore my backup from crashplan, since that would take awhile.

It's a late 2012 drive.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Guni posted:

It's a late 2012 drive.

TBH, couldn't you just toss it in a cheap external enclosure, and move it around? It's hardly worth loving about with a NAS for a single 500GB drive. At this point, I've got an old ReadyNAS NV+ with 4x750GB drives that I haven't turned on in 2 years. Too old, too slow, and don't trust the drives after several thousand hours of power on time.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

sharkytm posted:

TBH, couldn't you just toss it in a cheap external enclosure, and move it around? It's hardly worth loving about with a NAS for a single 500GB drive. At this point, I've got an old ReadyNAS NV+ with 4x750GB drives that I haven't turned on in 2 years. Too old, too slow, and don't trust the drives after several thousand hours of power on time.

Yeah that's not a bad idea. I guess the biggest concern is; will the HDD overheat in an enclosure?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Guni posted:

Yeah that's not a bad idea. I guess the biggest concern is; will the HDD overheat in an enclosure?

Not a decent one.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Not sure which thread this question goes in, so this is an educated guess:

I'm about to replace my old Crucial M4 256gb SSD with a Samsung 850 Evo 500gb unit. I don't want to have to reinstall my OS or anything. In the past (like 10+ years ago) I used Norton Ghost to clone the drive, with mixed success. Is this still a thing? Is there now a facility in Windows (10) to do this, or is there better software out there or what? Will Windows 10 freak out about the hardware change?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Samsung has data migration software for free

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Don Lapre posted:

Samsung has data migration software for free

UBCD also comes with free cloning software installed and is USB bootable.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Thank you!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have multiple iSCSI targets on my NAS. On my Linux box, I'd like to automount only one of those. Using Open-iSCSI, which seems to be the standard toolset for this, they tell me I need to do the send_targets discovery, which works and registers all targets. Then they tell me that I need to log into the target and that makes it automagically persistent across reboots. Except it doesn't. I went to the specific node and set node.startup to automatic, that doesn't do anything either. I even changed the scripts for iscsid to output debug messages like there's no tomorrow, it just doesn't care across reboots. When I change the configuration for it to run its internal discoveryd stuff, it automatically connects to all targets, which I don't want. What the hell is going on here? This all makes no sense to me. The tutorials all claim stuff that doesn't appear to want to work. And iscsid also starts after the network stuff, so that's not it either.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You may want to consider LUN masking on the server which should limit which machines can connect to each target. Not sure what your NAS exactly is, but this is sort of the idea for QNAP NASes https://www.qnap.com/i/useng/tutorial/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=61

If you're using iSNS, removing targets from discovery domains won't be enough while you are using the LUN from the initiator (part of why rebooting the iSCSI target would be required to remove the initiator, but uh... you shouldn't do that in a production environment probably).

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/821-1459/fpjwy.html#gbsct

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Turned out to be a code deficiency inside open-iscsi that most Linux distributions fix with some scripts/tweaks in their init system. I'm using Arch and their open-iscsi package doesn't come with any of these "fixes". I have it working now, tho.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My 10 year old ReadyNas NV has packed it in and the LED codes are pointing towards a corrupted boot loader. Trying to restore it via USB by holding the power button seems to have no effect. Minor annoyance as I had some ripped DVDs on there but nothing irreplaceable. Everything important is backed up in a couple other places.

So I'm looking at the new Qnap TS-453A with 4 3TB WD reds, it looks like it'll be fairly future proof. I like the idea of being able to virtualize some Linux machines too for tinkering.

Anyone got one of these yet?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

priznat posted:

My 10 year old ReadyNas NV has packed it in and the LED codes are pointing towards a corrupted boot loader. Trying to restore it via USB by holding the power button seems to have no effect. Minor annoyance as I had some ripped DVDs on there but nothing irreplaceable. Everything important is backed up in a couple other places.

So I'm looking at the new Qnap TS-453A with 4 3TB WD reds, it looks like it'll be fairly future proof. I like the idea of being able to virtualize some Linux machines too for tinkering.

Anyone got one of these yet?

From everything I've read the TS-451 or 451+ is worth the upgrade depending on your use case.

Ryaath
Apr 8, 2003

Need advice on a new disk enclosure.

I have one of these Rosewill 8-bay thingies (not this exact model, mine is probably 3-4 years old). It basically ate hdds with how hot it ran, but life was grand until I went to upgrade the system I have this thing attached to (to one of these) and find that the pcie eSATA controller card fails to be recognized by the BIOS. After trying literally everything for 2 days (according to the internet, this issue plagues this silicon-image sil3132 chipset that is the crux of all these pcie esata solutions), I'm giving up.

So, I'm in the market for a new disk enclosure... preferably:
  • 5-8 bays?
  • cheap (under $300?)
  • USB 3.0 (unless there is some other cheap hotness I don't know about)
  • SATAIII for the drives
  • won't melt hdds (i mean, it can run hot, cause its going to...)

I've never actually tried to RAID anything in my life, so JBOD. Suggestions?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Ryaath posted:

Need advice on a new disk enclosure.

I have one of these Rosewill 8-bay thingies (not this exact model, mine is probably 3-4 years old). It basically ate hdds with how hot it ran, but life was grand until I went to upgrade the system I have this thing attached to (to one of these) and find that the pcie eSATA controller card fails to be recognized by the BIOS. After trying literally everything for 2 days (according to the internet, this issue plagues this silicon-image sil3132 chipset that is the crux of all these pcie esata solutions), I'm giving up.

So, I'm in the market for a new disk enclosure... preferably:
  • 5-8 bays?
  • cheap (under $300?)
  • USB 3.0 (unless there is some other cheap hotness I don't know about)
  • SATAIII for the drives
  • won't melt hdds (i mean, it can run hot, cause its going to...)

I've never actually tried to RAID anything in my life, so JBOD. Suggestions?

How about one of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It sounds like you're set on getting a new enclosure, it's just a very cheap and easy option if you want eSATA on your computer without adding a lovely controller card.

Ryaath
Apr 8, 2003

smax posted:

How about one of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It sounds like you're set on getting a new enclosure, it's just a very cheap and easy option if you want eSATA on your computer without adding a lovely controller card.

So i tried just running SATA cables out of the side of the PC directly to the weird cards inside the rosewill bay... it spun up the first drive attached to each card, then emitted a lot of beeping and failed to boot any further... so I gave up on that... perhaps too quickly though if you're suggesting it...

I think the pcie sil3132 card thingy does some port multiplying magic that allows for multiple drives? Or is that not how it works at all? I paid $18 for one of these to make sure it wasn't just my card, but had the same BIOS-not-detecting issue.

I'm not set on getting a new enclosure, just ready to pay to get out of this BIOS-wont-detect-my-poo poo hell.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Ryaath posted:

So i tried just running SATA cables out of the side of the PC directly to the weird cards inside the rosewill bay... it spun up the first drive attached to each card, then emitted a lot of beeping and failed to boot any further... so I gave up on that... perhaps too quickly though if you're suggesting it...

I think the pcie sil3132 card thingy does some port multiplying magic that allows for multiple drives? Or is that not how it works at all? I paid $18 for one of these to make sure it wasn't just my card, but had the same BIOS-not-detecting issue.

I'm not set on getting a new enclosure, just ready to pay to get out of this BIOS-wont-detect-my-poo poo hell.

No port multiplying magic, it's just a SATA controller running on the PCI-Express bus like anything else.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys just got a silverstone DS304 with 6 * 4TB HGST NAS drives with the ASROCK board with lots of SATA.

I'm tempted to play with Ubuntu with ZFS off a USB drive - how feasible is it for me to run these features? It's a small home network

ZFS file server
- storing photos for my light room collection
- Universal Media Server (better support for SRT subtitles compared to PLEX)
- rtorrents/transmission
- LDAP / SAMBA / AD to authenticate Windows and Mac Users * Important*

I guess I just want to use this machine as a pet project to store network profiles and personal files. I'm just kind of sick of migrating from one gaming machine to another every few years and reseting my download / my document links / wall paper/ etc all the time. Plus I'm moving into my new home soon and I can simply add users like my girlfriend or my mom or whoever and have all data centralized.

Or am I just better wiping my ancient 80 GB SSD and putting ubuntu in it. And just for curiosity, small home server applications don't really saturate SATA right?

Finally, what's a good cheap way to host a backup DNS/DHCP/DC failover?

caberham fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 14, 2016

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

caberham posted:

Hi guys just got a silverstone DS304 with 6 * 4TB HGST NAS drives with the ASROCK board with lots of SATA.

I'm tempted to play with Ubuntu with ZFS off a USB drive - how feasible is it for me to run these features? It's a small home network

ZFS file server
- storing photos for my light room collection
- Universal Media Server (better support for SRT subtitles compared to PLEX)
- rtorrents/transmission
- LDAP / SAMBA / AD to authenticate Windows and Mac Users * Important*

I guess I just want to use this machine as a pet project to store network profiles and personal files. I'm just kind of sick of migrating from one gaming machine to another every few years and reseting my download / my document links / wall paper/ etc all the time. Plus I'm moving into my new home soon and I can simply add users like my girlfriend or my mom or whoever and have all data centralized.

Or am I just better wiping my ancient 80 GB SSD and putting ubuntu in it. And just for curiosity, small home server applications don't really saturate SATA right?

Finally, what's a good cheap way to host a backup DNS/DHCP/DC failover?

just use freenas dude, it's basically designed for your use case and zfs is probably better implemented there than whatever hacky undersupported implementation ubuntu has. it's designed to run off a usb drive and you can even stick the ssd in there as a secondary write cache/log disk if you're so inclined. only caveat is you'll want a fair bit of RAM, but since you're buying silverstone cases and HGST drives i'd wager you'll probably be ok

home server applications won't come close to saturating the sata bus (which is 6 times faster than gigabit ethernet) but the hard drives you're using in turn won't even saturate 1gigabit. last i checked 2 HDDs in raid0 (or equivalent) would roughly saturate a 1gigabit link though don't quote me on that

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 15, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Generic Monk posted:

just use freenas dude, it's basically designed for your use case and zfs is probably better implemented there than whatever hacky undersupported implementation ubuntu has. it's designed to run off a usb drive and you can even stick the ssd in there as a secondary write cache/log disk if you're so inclined. only caveat is you'll want a fair bit of RAM, but since you're buying silverstone cases and HGST drives i'd wager you'll probably be ok

home server applications won't come close to saturating the sata bus (which is 6 times faster than gigabit ethernet) but the hard drives you're using in turn won't even saturate 1gigabit. last i checked 2 HDDs in raid0 (or equivalent) would roughly saturate a 1gigabit link though don't quote me on that

seq reads from a single hdd can be just barely constrained by gigabit ethernet

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Generic Monk posted:

hacky undersupported implementation ubuntu has

What?

mdadm or zfs on linux?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Moey posted:

What?

mdadm or zfs on linux?

last i checked (not that I'm keeping track of these things) the common wisdom was that linux zfs support was less mature than on freeBSD. that's basically what I'm saying in a roundabout sensationalist way. that and freenas is geared around zfs to the point where it has a decent halfway discoverable GUI for managing zpools.

i guess i prefer the more integrated, specialised solution with a gui i can muddle my way through when I want to change filesystem/sharing stuff, as opposed to googling terminal commands

blowfish posted:

seq reads from a single hdd can be just barely constrained by gigabit ethernet

random workloads would bring that avg down a bit but that's probably neither here nor there for a home media server type dealio

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 15, 2016

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Generic Monk posted:

last i checked (not that I'm keeping track of these things) the common wisdom was that linux zfs support was less mature than on freeBSD

If I remember correctly there are several people in this thread that run ZFS on Linux with no issues

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man transferring movies between HDD's over Gbe is slow. Any one have recommendations to speed up transfer? Would it benefit to transfer between SSD's over the network and then of to the zpool of HDD? Buy 10gbe? The netgear switch is only 768 and I guess in a few years will drop in half

caberham fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 15, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

caberham posted:

Man transferring movies between HDD's over Gbe is slow. Any one have recommendations to speed up transfer? Would it benefit to transfer between SSD's over the network and then of to the zpool of HDD? Buy 10gbe? The netgear switch is only 768 and I guess in a few years will drop in half

It's not your HDD that's slow, it's the network. Short of upgrading to 10gb, I'd just get used to it.

Edit: How slow exactly? Max theoretical for 1gb ethernet is 125 megabytes/s (actual is of course less), which most modern HDDs can do in a sequential read.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 15, 2016

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
ZFS on Linux works perfectly fine. If all you want is a NAS and don't have experience with *nix OSe then FreeNAS is probably easier, but if you want a device that can also be used for other purposes w/o having to rely on FreeNAS-specific plugins, Ubuntu (or whatever full distro of your choice) will offer you much greater flexibility.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

caberham posted:

if this isn't a one-time thing you may want to rearrange where you download those movies to originally. I pull everything down to one pool and then it gets sorted to another, but it's all on the same machine so it's pretty quick moving from one to the other.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

caberham posted:

What kind of throughput are you expecting? I achieve about 101 MBps via rsync with no compression or (strangely) over scp depending upon my TCP tuning parameters and whatever else is going on my hard disks. To get much faster, you'll need to upgrade your network to 10 GbE or gosh, Infiniband, or run simultaneous transfers to take advantage of link aggregation protocols. The same drive that's trying to do a block sequential read transfer is oftentimes the same one that's doing randomized small writes which kinda screws up I/O scheduling on the drive. Only speed-up there is to add more layers of caching like L2ARC, ARC, or ZIL but there's only so much benefit to these like any form of cache unless you access data more than once.

I put in cat6 cabling expecting for something like 4 Gbps effective throughput once 10GbE networks are inexpensive in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
What protocol and OS you're using for file transfer also makes a huge difference. Network file copy performance between a Mac client and an *nix server running Samba via SMB/CIFS, for example, is much worse than if the same *nix server running netatalk via AFP, or if the server was a Windows share.