Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Uh oh--here it comes!

Time to prepare your ~vision~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

So I've been fiddling with TiC in a creative world now, and are longbows supposed to be wildly inaccurate ? It doesn't seem to matter what kind of fletching I'm using, the arrows just fly everywhere.

I figured they'd be a slower, longer-range alternative to crossbows but crossbows just seem better no matter what. I like crossbows but I kinda wanted to mess with other ranged options.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mechaet posted:

Time to prepare your ~vision~

I gotta remove all diamonds from oregen RIGHT NOW.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
for making seared stone in regrowth - don't just melt cobblestone, craft it into one of the tool parts from tinker's construct that takes 8 stone (like large plates) and melt those, you get your seared bricks 8x as fast

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Anias posted:

You can do the mining laser thing in infinity to get yellorium to make bigger reactors to get the RF to build more mining lasers to get more yellorium...Stop when you're bored.

Is this the laser drill, rather than mining laser? So am I understanding right that if I slap a Yellow Laser Focus on it, it will only spit out Gold/Glowstone/Yellorite/those three other yellow ones?

Also, I was failing to realize that you can use control rods to easily scale down production and consumption of fuel, so now I can just run at 10% unless I need to fire up all my industry at once.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

President Ark posted:

for making seared stone in regrowth - don't just melt cobblestone, craft it into one of the tool parts from tinker's construct that takes 8 stone (like large plates) and melt those, you get your seared bricks 8x as fast
I'm pretty sure you can't do that. Their smelting point is 1 degree hotter than you can get with lava (800 C). I've definitely tried it in the past, though in some packs maybe it was specifically tweaked?
What does (usually) work is compressed cobblestone, if you're playing a modpack that has that and TC.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Devor posted:

So am I understanding right that if I slap a Yellow Laser Focus on it, it will only spit out Gold/Glowstone/Yellorite/those three other yellow ones?

What they do is increase the odds of the generated ores being one of them, with more foci further increasing the odds. You won't ever get just those ores, though.

Unless you've cranked up the fuel consumption config, pretty much any auto-mining setup will let you be swimming in the stuff, in my experience.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't do that. Their smelting point is 1 degree hotter than you can get with lava (800 C). I've definitely tried it in the past, though in some packs maybe it was specifically tweaked?
What does (usually) work is compressed cobblestone, if you're playing a modpack that has that and TC.

it works in the mariculture smelter thing which you need to do before even making a TC2 smeltery

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Was there some mod in Blightfall that allowed hotfixing worlds? I think I'd like that for BFSR so I can update the tutorial dimension. A big impediment I have here is that I can't really release it in increments because existing games would not see the updates. All I can think to do is have some in-game option to overwrite the the tutorial dimension's folder in the save with the templated one on-demand, but that's very heavy-handed.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Devor posted:

Is this the laser drill, rather than mining laser? So am I understanding right that if I slap a Yellow Laser Focus on it, it will only spit out Gold/Glowstone/Yellorite/those three other yellow ones?

Also, I was failing to realize that you can use control rods to easily scale down production and consumption of fuel, so now I can just run at 10% unless I need to fire up all my industry at once.

This usually won't be the case for big modpacks(especially the hqm ones), but by default yes. MFR and big reactors allow you to create really easy positive power loops once you get into any higher tech stuff. A few filters if the right type amplify it a lot.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Was there some mod in Blightfall that allowed hotfixing worlds? I think I'd like that for BFSR so I can update the tutorial dimension. A big impediment I have here is that I can't really release it in increments because existing games would not see the updates. All I can think to do is have some in-game option to overwrite the the tutorial dimension's folder in the save with the templated one on-demand, but that's very heavy-handed.

Yes, but they made it just for Blightfall. You'd have to ask Talonos for it, I expect.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

Devor posted:

You can use rednet cable from Minefactory Reloaded. Put two rednet ports in your reactor, hook them together with rednet cable. On the output, set white to be energy stored in percentage. On the input, set control rod setting to white. It will now put the control rods in as deep as you have energy stored. Which means full output/0% rods if you use all the power, shutting it down/100% rods if you are not using anything. Super easy to set up and will save you a lot of fuel potentially.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Are there any simple "put a stack of whatever in, it crafts nine of them together" machines/blocks out there? I'm sure there are at least some but I'm not familiar with them.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Volatile Penguin posted:

Are there any simple "put a stack of whatever in, it crafts nine of them together" machines/blocks out there? I'm sure there are at least some but I'm not familiar with them.

Botania crafting crate and factorization packer(i think that's what it's called) do exactly this.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Yes, but they made it just for Blightfall. You'd have to ask Talonos for it, I expect.

What's the best way of getting a hold of Talonos these days? The Blightfall discussion on Technic is doesn't seem to catch his eyes, and I don't think his profile page on their does either.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Thyrork might have it, I thought he was the one that coded it :shrug:

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Volatile Penguin posted:

Autopackager is a standalone one.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

Thyrork might have it, I thought he was the one that coded it :shrug:

Nah man, I'm just a chatty fanboy with "Good Ideas". :allears:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What's the best way of getting a hold of Talonos these days? The Blightfall discussion on Technic is doesn't seem to catch his eyes, and I don't think his profile page on their does either.

IRC PM probably. He's in the channel as of this post, no idea if hes actually at his pc, but he's at least there.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So Thaumcraft 5 has a grappling hook now, no more nerdpoles!

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Volatile Penguin posted:

the Storage Drawers compacting drawer will basically do that, with the bonus of being able to pull out nuggets or ingots as needed.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Volatile Penguin posted:

The Thermal Expansion Cyclic Assembler is fairly popular (requires a Schematic from a Workbench) and the RFTools Crafter (has three tiers) has become a very popular one, often more in favour than the TE Cyclic Assembler for speed, simplicity, and features (it can use one set of output as the input for the next step without external pipes/automation :) ).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh, I really need to get some RFTools quests in BFSR. I'll be doodling on that when I finish writing some code to update the tutorial dimension in user's saves when new releases come out. It's stopping me from wanted to release any of it, because I otherwise have to get it mostly right and complete the first time.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Question - I tried updating Regrowth from a version a couple months back and my world seems, well, busted as hell. Did the updates its gotten in the past few months necessitate a fresh start, or did I mess something up?

What I did to try to update:

Downloaded the new server files
Made a new folder for them
Added AromaCore and AromaBackups because I like them
Started the server to generate a world
Replaced world with a backup from the old server

Started game, logged in, everything is crazy town

E: I think the update screwed it up? Cause block IDs seem to have changed, all of the cracked sand is now fancy oak signs (which is giving my computer an atomic wedgie from trying to render thousands of the signs nonstop)

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 10, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I think a while back there was a big world breaking update. There has also been one or two minor updates since.

Edit: Direwolf20's been doing a Thaumcraft 5 spotlight and I gotta say the new golems are really cool. I think it looks a little too easy to pollute the aura and get taint but I'm sure its manageable if you spread it around with totems. It also looks like any crystal clusters growing around the place can absorb and turn into flux crystals, essentially removing it from the aura if you make sure to harvest them so they can regrow.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 10, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

lolmer posted:

The Thermal Expansion Cyclic Assembler is fairly popular (requires a Schematic from a Workbench) and the RFTools Crafter (has three tiers) has become a very popular one, often more in favour than the TE Cyclic Assembler for speed, simplicity, and features (it can use one set of output as the input for the next step without external pipes/automation :) ).

To expand on this, the RF Tools Crafter can manage a series of crafts, using the output of previous crafts as the inputs of subsequent crafts, while the Cyclic Assembler from TE can only remember one recipe, but is faster, and has a liquid tank that it can draw from in place of buckets for recipes that need buckets of water / lava / any mod-added liquid in the recipe.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
I have to apologize to KingLemming for the things I said months ago about the crafting recipes for Thermal Expansion. Now that's I've properly played with Thermal Expansion + friends, I think they're among the best-designed mods out there. There's a lot of content and interaction among the machines without the sort of runaway complexity or rampant micro-crafting I was fearing. The recipes are only a couple steps deep, and they're logical enough with few enough basic materials required that I've already started to memorize them. Finally, the servo/filter/retriever duct system is amazing. I honestly don't think EnderIO compares favorably in any of these respects.

I know I'm probably not saying anything y'all don't already know; just like talking about game design. I had sort of a weird reluctance to use the staple tech mods, but that was wrong and stupid. Thermal Expansion + Thermal Dynamics make an interesting design challenge out of the main thing you do in Minecraft: get items and put them in chests.

Still think the dynamo, energy cell, and gear textures are hella ugly though :D

Demiurge4 posted:

Edit: Direwolf20's been doing a Thaumcraft 5 spotlight and I gotta say the new golems are really cool

The new golems look amazing. It seems like 1.8.x is happening now -- Direwolf20 also started a new server play series to show off some of the mods getting released, and some of them are really impressive. I guess the changes/improvements made to the rendering system really unlocked some new possibilities once people took the effort to switch over to it. (Get the feeling that another year of work on Forge has also yielded some real benefits.)

Really looking forward to seeing what else folks come up with.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Goncyn posted:

Still think the dynamo, energy cell, and gear textures are hella ugly though :D

I understand why the dynamos aren't animated but yeah part of me misses massive arrays of Railcraft boilers and steam engines puffing, pumping and clanking away. A still room full of quiet dynamos purring away so efficiently... it's just not quite the same. Same thing for watching items and power travel in the Buildcraft pipes. It was more of a pain in the rear end to set up, required more (and more expensive) materials to get anything done, and it killed server performance but man did it look cool when it was all going.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

chairface posted:

I understand why the dynamos aren't animated but yeah part of me misses massive arrays of Railcraft boilers and steam engines puffing, pumping and clanking away. A still room full of quiet dynamos purring away so efficiently... it's just not quite the same. Same thing for watching items and power travel in the Buildcraft pipes. It was more of a pain in the rear end to set up, required more (and more expensive) materials to get anything done, and it killed server performance but man did it look cool when it was all going.

Yeah, server performance is driving a huge part of the work from folks like COFH/etc, because multiplayer is such a big part. On the other hand, I like that they offer use-parity alternatives like the opaque and clear pipes, it's a good system.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I like the direction that Tinkers Construct is taking with 1.8. The new design is trying to avoid there being one "best" tool and instead introducing a ton of gimmick modifiers that let you build useful tools for different things. For example I really like the magnetic modifier you can get from iron that drags mined blocks towards you.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Rocko, I started playing Baby's First Space Race over the weekend and it's fantastic, as everyone else has said, but can I suggest you add in AppleCore to any future versions? It's the base to all of the terrible mods that other mods use, but on it's own it ads a cool indicator to your food bar that let you see how much saturation you have, and how filling whatever you're about to stuff into your face is. AFAIK it doesn't do anything else on it's own, it's just really nice to have.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Goncyn posted:

I have to apologize to KingLemming for the things I said months ago about the crafting recipes for Thermal Expansion. Now that's I've properly played with Thermal Expansion + friends, I think they're among the best-designed mods out there. There's a lot of content and interaction among the machines without the sort of runaway complexity or rampant micro-crafting I was fearing. The recipes are only a couple steps deep, and they're logical enough with few enough basic materials required that I've already started to memorize them. Finally, the servo/filter/retriever duct system is amazing. I honestly don't think EnderIO compares favorably in any of these respects.

I actually feel the opposite, in that I absolutely hate the servo/filter/retriever system. Making them is a pain in the rear end and clogs my chests with nuggets, then I have to go and spend enderium or other annoying-to-make materials on loving servos to make them go at a resonable rate or get at places to upgrade them and aargh just give me back my pneumatic servos and crescent wrench.

OTOH, trying to ditch TE pipes got me to finally play around with Transfer Pipes from ExU. They're actually pretty terrible if you try to use them for pipes, but at least now I know!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

senae posted:

Rocko, I started playing Baby's First Space Race over the weekend and it's fantastic, as everyone else has said, but can I suggest you add in AppleCore to any future versions? It's the base to all of the terrible mods that other mods use, but on it's own it ads a cool indicator to your food bar that let you see how much saturation you have, and how filling whatever you're about to stuff into your face is. AFAIK it doesn't do anything else on it's own, it's just really nice to have.

I'll try to play with it. In other packs, I assumed that was part of Hunger Overhaul, Spice of Life, or something, so it did not occur to me the bar could be added on its own.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

senae posted:

Seconded, AppleCore itself is a really nice feature to have.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does 1.8 have enough QoL stuff (NEI, WAILA, etc) at this point? I really want to try the new Thaumcraft

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

Does 1.8 have enough QoL stuff (NEI, WAILA, etc) at this point? I really want to try the new Thaumcraft

Not really. I tried something earlier and while it has Just Enough Items, Waila was crashing me constantly. If someone else has/had more success, please feel free to shoot me down, I only put in about 30 minutes effort.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

bbcisdabomb posted:

Making them is a pain in the rear end and clogs my chests with nuggets

Use compacting drawers from Storage Drawers and never worry about converting between nuggets/ingots/blocks again. Other than that, making them doesn't seem any harder than any other crafting task, and the recipes are simple. It's worth it for the flexibility and control you get over how items move around your pipes.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Is there a modpack anywhere that's a middle ground between tekkit and legeneds? I want to like legends but lack of TE and AE2 is a dealbreaker.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Pound_Coin posted:

Is there a modpack anywhere that's a middle ground between tekkit and legeneds? I want to like legends but lack of TE and AE2 is a dealbreaker.

Maybe one of the OMP packs?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im playing no the goon server, and my preference is the fluid/item ducts and servo. the EnderIO stuff, while being able to get all 3 pipes in the same block is good, is just too hard to get the items you want where you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thyrork posted:

Not really. I tried something earlier and while it has Just Enough Items, Waila was crashing me constantly. If someone else has/had more success, please feel free to shoot me down, I only put in about 30 minutes effort.

Is Just Enough Items a rewrite of NEI or something? I'm at work so can't reliably google.