Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

They really didn't though. They could have tied it into the existing games in so many other ways, but it's like they made a clear decision not to and instead went off on weird tangents.

edit: I assume Kiwami will add a bunch of stuff to tie up loose ends from Zero, making it less focused as well.
So what you're saying is we won't see or hear about Park / Katsuya in 0 and that all of this buildup of Majima's past was for nothing?

I appreciate this series not having cheesy sequel bait hooks tacked onto each games ending, but having them tie into one another somewhat wouldn't be a bad thing. It maybe helps 6 in that virtually nobody in 5 got killed off so just maybe some of the new people can show up as a recurring character and actually be involved in the plot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SubG posted:

I don't know about all of the machines, but in the Aladdin ones you have to adjust the speed between normal play and when you're in a jackpot. The game actually points out where you should be trying to get the balls to land, but the only instructions it gives you are in Japanese.

I'm pretty sure if you drop to help there's a mostly translated guide to the game and where to aim.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
I thought I was prepared for anything. But nothing could prepare me for Saejima singing backup on ROUGE OF LOVE.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
best Yakuza song is still Pure Love in Karumocho

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Stelas posted:

I'm pretty sure if you drop to help there's a mostly translated guide to the game and where to aim.
I meant the instructions it gives you verbally when it actually happens.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I was playing on a virtua fighter machine since apparently with those you can just leave and let it run until you win or run out of balls. i never had more than ~280 balls, though, so i'm pretty sure the jackpot I got by using the guaranteed jackpot item was worth maybe 20 tops.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

pick-e posted:

So what you're saying is we won't see or hear about Park / Katsuya in 0 and that all of this buildup of Majima's past was for nothing?
Basically yeah. Majima has a new heroine unconnected to anything in later games as far as I know, and he spends the whole game super serious, nominally because gangsters are watching him waiting for him to screw up, but does it even when no one is watching, and then at the end is like "okay time to go crazy, KIRYU-CHAAAAAN!" (having only briefly met him at that point).

Zero is a fine Yakuza game I guess, but it is not a good prequel.

Edit: forgot to spoiler since this game has a western release date and everything

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 9, 2016

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
How many fistfights with bears are there in this game? I'm up to 3 now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

El Hefe posted:

best Yakuza song is still Pure Love in Karumocho

I don't know, Rouge of Roooooove is pretty strong.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Captain Novolin posted:

I was playing on a virtua fighter machine since apparently with those you can just leave and let it run until you win or run out of balls. i never had more than ~280 balls, though, so i'm pretty sure the jackpot I got by using the guaranteed jackpot item was worth maybe 20 tops.

You should be getting well over 1000 balls from one of those jackpot items on a Virtua Fighter machine. You aren't doing something dumb like overshooting or not shooting balls while the jackpot is active? You want as many balls as possible landing in that little tray near the bottom that opens and closes.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Rouge of Love is the best karaoke song. You do it as Saejima and he surprises you by killing it. If you didn't go do karaoke during the dream sequence, you're bad at this game. Eventually you end up trying it as Shinada and, well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGKuyFfTzOI

I spent a week or so with Pure Love in Kamurocho exclusively stuck in my head and that was real painful but it's great, Akiyama and Hana is the best version. Honourable mention has to go to Get To The Top, but only because of Majima's... attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFoNwoMxjY

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Yechezkel posted:

How many fistfights with bears are there in this game? I'm up to 3 now.

Have they all been with Saejima?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So is the pachinko completion cumulative? I can't tell, because I have literally never won a single ball in pachinko.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Serious Frolicking posted:

So is the pachinko completion cumulative? I can't tell, because I have literally never won a single ball in pachinko.

Nope, gotta earn the required amount in a single session.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

evilalien posted:

Nope, gotta earn the required amount in a single session.

Well, that obviously ain't happening! I don't even see how it is possible, since from everything I've read about that dumb minigame there is no simple trick.

For the coliseum weapon match, what weapon skill should I grind up? That dude with a pistol just fucks me up every time.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The way to win pachinko is to save, go to the parlour, leave it running for a while, then check to see if you're out of balls or not

E: then give up because it's dumb and going for 100% in these games is what you do if you're a hardcore masochist

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Frabba posted:

Have they all been with Saejima?

Yes. The funniest bear battle was at the end of the hunting substory. Saejima finally has his chance to take out the big bear terrorizing the village, but the bear wouldn't go down from the rifle shots. After the bear knocked the rifle out of Saejima's hands, he just decides to have a fistfight with the bear again.

That was up there with the tiger fights from Yakuza 2.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Yechezkel posted:

Yes. The funniest bear battle was at the end of the hunting substory. Saejima finally has his chance to take out the big bear terrorizing the village, but the bear wouldn't go down from the rifle shots. After the bear knocked the rifle out of Saejima's hands, he just decides to have a fistfight with the bear again.

That was up there with the tiger fights from Yakuza 2.

I wonder if they're doing a callback to Hajime no Ippo, one of the major characters in it also fights a bear, and is voiced by the same VA as Saejima https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJQLQK7tsUc

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Bear fighting is a standard for excessively manly characters in japanese fiction.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I beat the game yesterday, and I was impressed by some of the symbolism in the last battle.

Aizama wants to be a legendary powerhouse like Kiryu, and being Yakuza, they both have their favorite Pokemon tattooed on their backs. It's fitting that Aizama would have Magikarp, while Kiryu has Gyrados.

You might not be aware of this but the whole Magikarp/Gyrados thing is based on an actual japanese myth about a Koi turning into a dragon as an award from the gods for its perseverance.

I might be :thejoke: though.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 10, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Frabba posted:

I wonder if they're doing a callback to Hajime no Ippo, one of the major characters in it also fights a bear, and is voiced by the same VA as Saejima https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJQLQK7tsUc

holy poo poo

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Frabba posted:

Also Saejima voices Frank West's Japanese VA.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Man, the Jo Amon fight is some straight up bullshit.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Holy poo poo, Akiyama's training is loving bullshit...until I realized that doing the flip kick knocks off the trainer's wig and renders him unable to attack...

Yakuza games are awesome.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Playing Zero again, Kiryu is the same person as ever, but Majima is such a completely different person it's nuts. You are told that this isn't the real him, just a role he has to play until he fulfills his debt to the yakuza, but it's far beyond that. The game goes out of its way to demonstrate that he's an expert businessman, an expert manager, and an expert at the hostess business, and always the cool head in the room. Where did all this knowledge come from? Where did it all go later, when he became a career crazy person with no particular interest in money or power?

edit: I guess come to think of it, he probably met Mirei through the entertainment biz (maybe they said explicitly in 5 but I forget), but that doesn't happen in Zero.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 10, 2016

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Playing Zero again, Kiryu is the same person as ever, but Majima is such a completely different person it's nuts. You are told that this isn't the real him, just a role he has to play until he fulfills his debt to the yakuza, but it's far beyond that. The game goes out of its way to demonstrate that he's an expert businessman, an expert manager, and an expert at the hostess business, and always the cool head in the room. Where did all this knowledge come from? Where did it all go later, when he became a career crazy person with no particular interest in money or power?

edit: I guess come to think of it, he probably met Mirei through the entertainment biz (maybe they said explicitly in 5 but I forget), but that doesn't happen in Zero.

He meets MIrei when Kiryu is in prison. That is why Kiryu doesn't know about that person.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

i was annoyed that they never bothered in 5 to like, expound on their marriage because it still seems super crazy. I was expecting Haruka's whole meeting with Park's ex-husband after the concert to actually happen which could have been a pretty cool moment where maybe they talked about it a bit but nope

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nunchucks are just the absolute worst weapon. Piddly damage, no stunning, short range, and lots of useless animations which lock you in place.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think the best weapon for the weapon gp is the Kali sticks. The basic combo has full super armor and does a great job at stunlocking enemies. Shinada can easily clear it with his base proficiency.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I enjoyed the hunting in Saejima's chapter. Haven't reached Haruka yet but I can tell you I dislike rhythm games so I'm not looking forward to that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

IShallRiseAgain posted:

He meets MIrei when Kiryu is in prison. That is why Kiryu doesn't know about that person.
Kiryu doesn't know much about Majima or vice versa for the whole of Zero anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Anyone know how to make Raiden show up in the coliseum? I fought him as Kiryu, and now he is supposed to be in a cutscene at the coliseum front desk but it never triggers.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

Anyone know how to make Raiden show up in the coliseum? I fought him as Kiryu, and now he is supposed to be in a cutscene at the coliseum front desk but it never triggers.
I think you have to qualify for the finals with each of the other characters.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Saejima is the best. Sidemission spoiler.

Uh, that Tojo Clan I mentioned, it's a neighborhood baseball club. We used to be really good.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
So I finally got around to unpacking the correct boxes and tried something I've been wanting to try since the game came out: hooking up my PS2 Taiko Drum Master controller via USB adapter and seeing if it works.

It ALMOST works. The center left part of the drum doesn't register at all and while the other parts do, you have to hit them extremely and unplayably hard for some reason. So close.

e: It wasn't my drum loving up either, that's the first thing I checked

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 12, 2016

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
There's a way to trigger the "Secret of" line of upgrades that rely on timed hits without mashing the button and hoping for the best, right? Right?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I could play an entire game devoted to Haruka and her side missions. So many people with bad opinions in this thread! So many. :colbert:

vv for what it's worth I wish they had put in more songs too, but one would hope an entire game would have more of them, no?

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 13, 2016

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
it's good i just wish it had more than three songs

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like how karaoke is vastly more difficult than singing and dancing on stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
The "Running Girl" job is creepy, and I suck at the handshake events.

• Locked thread