Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i havent liked anything kanye has released since like 2013 but this song is hot af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
the retardedly good yeezy track had me revisit college dropout, graduation, and 808's. below are some thoughts on them that nobody should read for any reason

college dropout is nearly sonically perfect. i loving love it.

graduation is right near the bottom of the yeezy pile for me. there's a lot of great sounding moments but it really is ultimately forgettable. it wasn't until this listen-through though that i appreciated how well 'stronger' segued flawlessly into freddie gibbs's thuggin

808 is hard to look at objectively knowing how retrospectively important it was, but it's still a thoroughly fantastic album and maybe even my favorite (?)

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
you really ought to listen to late registration again. since it was his best and all...

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Am I the only one who isn't gonna listen to good Friday's cuz I wanna hear swish without knowing half of the songs? Good Friday was awesome, and DTF's versions were different, but already knowing the songs kinda took away from "OMG MBDTF!!!!!!!" idk

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

ol yeller posted:

you really ought to listen to late registration again. since it was his best and all...

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
ANyone have a link to the new yeezy?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

eriddy posted:

KanyeWest.com

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

eriddy posted:

https://soundcloud.com/kanyewest/real-friends-no-more-parties-in-la-snipped

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I like the new Ye but you guys really put my expectations through the roof and I don't think it's that amazing.

That being said dude has never put out an album that is less than great (arguably 808s but influential blah blah blah) so I don't know why anyone is worried about him falling off.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

goldblums eyes posted:

Am I the only one who isn't gonna listen to good Friday's cuz I wanna hear swish without knowing half of the songs? Good Friday was awesome, and DTF's versions were different, but already knowing the songs kinda took away from "OMG MBDTF!!!!!!!" idk

You're not, I haven't listened to anything he's put out since Yeezus. I'd rather hear it all in one complete package.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
I know I'm way late but where should I start with Young Thug? Particularly with what's on Spotify or easy to get rather than scattered tracks. I've listened to Barter 6 and a couple other random songs.

Previous Jesus fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 9, 2016

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Rich Gang Tha Tour vol 1
Just listen on repeat until like Tuesday
Enjoy

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
or alternatively just have blanguage on repeat for however long it takes you to realise that you liked thugger all along

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.

Marching Powder posted:

or alternatively just have blanguage on repeat for however long it takes you to realise that you liked thugger all along

same, but danny glover instead

most of thug's music isn't on spotify, slime season 1 & 2 were removed for some reason. i would start with the slime seasons if you liked barter 6, but if you didn't you should start with rich gang pt. 1. don't skip any tracks and replay the tracks with hooks that you find yourself murmuring back to yourself under your breath throughout the day

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Yeah slime season 1&2 got taken down from Apple Music too thanks a lot Steve Jobs/Birdman. I've said it before but download spinrilla to listen to them

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
there is some thug stuff on spotify it's just on these really obscure albums.. like Blanguage, Milk Marie, Best Friend, Take Kare, some other good songs like that but yeah it would be nice if they'd put the entire tapes back up :colbert: (at least they have Barter 6 though)

new kanye track is really good. i liked all day but the rest of the poo poo he has been releasing since yeezus has ranged from mediocre to bad for me. cautiously optimistic about swish...

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
Barter 6 is his best and most complete body of work imo.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Previous Jesus posted:

I know I'm way late but where should I start with Young Thug? Particularly with what's on Spotify or easy to get rather than scattered tracks. I've listened to Barter 6 and a couple other random songs.

Seriously think you gotta start with all the I Came From Nothing mixtapes. Young Thugga Mane La Flare is pretty fuckin excellent too. Mostly just loop Blanguage for like 24 hours including while you sleep.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 9, 2016

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Previous Jesus posted:

http://www.cocaineblunts.com/blunts/?p=8360

This is a pretty comprehensive list to get you up to speed on 2015.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Previous Jesus posted:

As evidenced by the replies here, there's no clear place to start. That's because Thug has had a few different styles. If you're new to Thug, It helps to divide his stuff up. That way when you don't like a song you know what stuff not to listen to, and when you do you know where to go for more.

I think of his music as being in four categories

ICFN Thugger: (2011-2012)
I Came From Nothing 1,2,3 are very different from the rest of his music. On ICFN 1 and 2 Thug sounds a lot like Lil Wayne, and ICFN 1 and 2 are more similar to each other than to ICFN 3.
I really like ICFN 2 and that's what originally got me into his music. Jamaican Slang is a good track and at one point (sometime late 2013?) Thug said keep in touch was his favorite song (of his own catalogue)

1017 Thugger:(2013-??)
Thug recorded a ton of tracks around this time because apparently he had a deal with Gucci to do 3 or 4 albums or something.

"1017 Thug"
the mixtape is great and I'd suggest you start here. So many great songs: 2 cups stuffed, Nigeria, Danny Glover, Ball, I'm Fo Real
1017 Thug 2:
Not a fan
1017 Thug 3 the finale:
Great, the logical followup to 1017 Thug and I think it's probably a little better. Rich Nigga poo poo, gently caress Ya Girl, Alphabetical Order, 911, Outh the Bowl, and L A Swag are A+++ songs
Purple Album:
A little more experimental than the others so far I think. Tons of great songs. "Texter" single handedly convinced 3 people I know to start listening to Thug. Panoramic Roof, Umm Hmm, Hurt Nobody, Tell Nobody No, are great
Black Portland:
Named after Atlanta, a collab tape with Bloody Jay. Hit or miss depending on the person in my experience. Florida Water is the most popular song from this tape. I like 4 eva Bloody.
Young Thugga mane La Flare:
Also hit or miss. Collab tape with Gucci.

Metro Thuggin
Young Thug and Metro Boomin have a special chemistry. Speed Racer, Blanguage, Free Gucci, Warrior, and Some More are my favorite Thug Songs. Some More birthed the "Metro boomin want some more nigga" tag.

The Blanguage
Speed Racer
Free Gucci
Warrior
Some More
Keep It Leave
Spaghetti Factory
Air It Out
From The Back
Drinking Lean Is Amazing
Brazy / Be Me See Me
No Joke
I Mean
Here
All Over
Hercules

London Thuggin (Present)
London on da Track produced a whole lot of most of these projects. His beats aren't quite as 808 Mafia / Zaytoven styled as the Gucci era Thug tracks or the Metro Thug tracks. Less going on in them, more room for Thug to sing and poo poo.

All these have great tracks too but I'm not gonna list my personal favs now bc I'm running out of time.

Rich Gang Tha Tour: Collab with Rich Homie Quan. They are really great together and clearly influenced each other's styles a lot.
Barter 6: The most popular Thug release.
Slime Season 1 and 2
A ton of leaked tracks

I left a bunch of stuff out but I just wanted to give a rough outline for people who don't know anything about his catalogue.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 10, 2016

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

so loving future posted:

Mostly just loop Blanguage for like 24 hours including while you sleep.

This is how to get into thug. Lock in on one song until it all clicks.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I remember the days when I didn't understand what Young Thug was actually saying..

Now, much like him, I write my lyrics as various scribbles and drawings before I step into the booth.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man good on y'all cause I can't stand Thug's music tried it multiple times

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I wish Thugger was my gay autistic dad

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Rich Gang Tha Tour vol 1
Just listen on repeat until like Tuesday
Enjoy

Seconding this. This is how I got into Thugga now I love him.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Besson posted:

I've been doing this with Hercules so far. There was some other song linked on here a while back that I liked too but I can't find it again. I think it was produced by London on da Track and had kind of an emotional feeling to it? But that probably doesn't narrow it down much.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll probably download both Slime Seasons, Rich Gang Tha Tour Part 1, and check out some of the other stuff.

Can I also get some recommendations for general lighthearted and/or uplifting albums? I'm going on vacation this week and want a bunch of new stuff to listen to on planes and layovers and stuff and I've been kind of down lately and listen to too much sad music.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I AM BRAWW posted:

I remember the days when I didn't understand what Young Thug was actually saying..

Now, much like him, I write my lyrics as various scribbles and drawings before I step into the booth.

You got a link to that quote?

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Besson posted:

2 cups stuffed is the correct song tho

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

a good post thanks. I'm listening to rich gang tha tour now every song is great

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

so loving future posted:

You got a link to that quote?

Atlanta producer Dun Deal remembers when he first met a 16-year-old kid named Jeffrey Williams, now better known the rapper Young Thug. "He was always a cool person; he always dressed weird," says Deal, who helped craft Thug's first true viral hit, "Stoner". "And the way he used to write his music was pretty crazy. He would just draw what he wanted to do on paper. That's how he used to record; he would draw, like, a picture."
What kind of picture? "Weird signs and shapes," Deal says. "He'd be in the booth looking at the paper, and one day I went in there and looked at it and said, 'You didn't write any words down.' He looked at me and said: ‘I don't need no words.'"

http://pitchfork.com/features/overtones/9727-chaos-theory-the-glorious-unpredictability-of-young-thug/

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Both Kendrick and Kayne tracks were amazing god drat.

Few pages late but I'll do a best of 2015

Albums
1. Freddie Gibbs - Shadow of a Doubt
2. Kendrick - TPAB
3. Joey Bada$$ - B4.DA.$$

Honorable Mentions
Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo and Youth
Pusha T - King Push

Tracks
1. Lupe - Mural
It annoys me that someone that can put this out can put out so much average poo poo.
2. My Dope House - Freddie Gibb & Kaytranada
Did this fly under the radar a bit? Or just not universally liked?
3. Don't Breathe Out - Roots Manuva

Honorable Mentions
Freddie Gibbs - Fuckin' Up the Count
Future - March Madness
Kendrick - King Kunta, These Walls, Hood Politics, Alright

2015 was a good year.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Previous Jesus posted:

I've been doing this with Hercules so far. There was some other song linked on here a while back that I liked too but I can't find it again. I think it was produced by London on da Track and had kind of an emotional feeling to it? But that probably doesn't narrow it down much.

Hercules isn't a remarkable song and I recommend switching to The Blanguage because it might be his high point.

Also the song you might be thinking of is Numbers but maybe not!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Previous Jesus posted:

Can I also get some recommendations for general lighthearted and/or uplifting albums? I'm going on vacation this week and want a bunch of new stuff to listen to on planes and layovers and stuff and I've been kind of down lately and listen to too much sad music.

May wanna try Rae Sremmurd or Sicko Mobb

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

alansmithee posted:

May wanna try Rae Sremmurd or Sicko Mobb

Alansmithee forgot to sign into this account for this post. (But for real, listen to as much Rae Sremmurd and Sicko Mobb and Fetty Wap as you can)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

After eight hours of listening to almost nothing but YT, I can positively confirm that the exposure therapy works. Can't wait for SS3

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Previous Jesus posted:

I think most of Young Thus's music is lighthearted and uplifting, especially the Slime Seasons. But if you want non-thug music that's lighthearted and uplifting I'd reccomend

Ruben Slikk - King Astroslikk the Magnificent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgGy1bYeQPQ

Available on his Bandcamp for free (name your price)

Shy Glizzy- Young Jefe is also great but his voice might take some getting used to (like thug's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgcYRz6Tc8

Available on Datpiff of Livemixtapes

It's funny to try and think of things matching this description because maybe 80% of trap music is lighthearted and uplifting. Migos - Young Rich Niggas is really great, fits the bill, and imo much better than any of their other music. Also Gucci mane - Chicken Talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkLUtxHXmBw, Mr. Zone 6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lisf1uGQG2k, and Jewelery Selection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KocMXLt2D0 are classics.

Sicko Mobb is super lighthearted, but imo it gets old pretty quick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziZt5d0Ioh0

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 10, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I would say if you cant find a single thug song you enjoy and/or love from barter 6 then he might not be for you but keep trying anyway

PS. what happened to the "thug produces 3 albums for 1017" deal? are gucci and him still cool or no?

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 10, 2016

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

thathonkey posted:

I would say if you cant find a single thug song you enjoy and/or love from barter 6 then he might not be for you but keep trying anyway

PS. what happened to the "thug produces 3 albums for 1017" deal? are gucci and him still cool or no?

I think Gucci's team released The Purple Album and 1017 Thug 2&3 to square off that deal. Young Thug has never afaik acknowledged the existence of those albums but they are official and on iTunes.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 10, 2016

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Dexo posted:

Man good on y'all cause I can't stand Thug's music tried it multiple times

Same but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Pertplus posted:

I think most of Young Thus's music is lighthearted and uplifting, especially the Slime Seasons. But if you want non-thug music that's lighthearted and uplifting I'd reccomend

Ruben Slikk - King Astroslikk the Magnificent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgGy1bYeQPQ

Available on his Bandcamp for free (name your price)

Nigga Bleed Kush has so much funk. Like, you will get hyped as gently caress while smoking to that song.