Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Xaerael posted:

The other thing about the two videos I posted that is so drat important. Let's look at the script.

SC: camera pans on DigiOldman. Massive speech about "Blah Blah meanies from space blah blaaahhhhhh" audience golfclaps.

FFXIV: *Melancholic song starts* Camera shows HOLY poo poo THINGS HAPPENING HOLY gently caress WAR HOLY gently caress BIG THREAT PEOPLE DOING STUFF OH NO DRAMA I DON'T EVEN KNOW THESE GUYS YET BUT I FEEL INVESTED. No dialogue.

Rule of the now: Show, don't tell.

exactly, and it's because for Sandi and Chris, and they presume for everyone else, the very fact of having Gary Oldman on screen makes whatever's happening instantly engaging. The dialogue sucks poo poo and the story is packaging foam and the scenery is static but IT HAS GARY OLDMAN IN FRONT OF IT. I HAVE A PICTURE OF GARY OLDMAN IN MY FACEBOOK PROFILE NOW ITS HAPPENING DOT GIF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Gwaihir posted:

That isn't CIG's mocap stuff at all. Remember that for all the talk of building their own studio, they booked time at the Imagination (Andy Serkis's shop) to do the big S42 shoot.

We've never seen pictures of the studio CIG built as far as I know.
That's a good point. I wonder why it's regressed, then?

Shots of Serkis doing Planet of the Apes stuff show a much less intrusive and less awkward setup. And the stuff done in the Imaginarium for Force Awakens looks like they had better kits as well. Maybe they have a discount package? Bring-your-own-tech? Director's choice?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Chin posted:

That's a good point. I wonder why it's regressed, then?

Shots of Serkis doing Planet of the Apes stuff show a much less intrusive and less awkward setup. And the stuff done in the Imaginarium for Force Awakens looks like they had better kits as well. Maybe they have a discount package? Bring-your-own-tech? Director's choice?

Only thing I can guess is that it just depends on what type of performance capture data you want, or maybe what resolution you need. :iiam:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

exactly, and it's because for Sandi and Chris, and they presume for everyone else, the very fact of having Gary Oldman on screen makes whatever's happening instantly engaging. The dialogue sucks poo poo and the story is packaging foam and the scenery is static but IT HAS GARY OLDMAN IN FRONT OF IT. I HAVE A PICTURE OF GARY OLDMAN IN MY FACEBOOK PROFILE NOW ITS HAPPENING DOT GIF.

I have a photo somewhere of me with Danny Devito. I guess I'm Hollywood material now. (He's really tiny!)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Offkorn posted:

Squadron 42 is mentioned in New York magazine's recent Gillian Anderson interview:

It's pretty telling about how dysfunctional the production was when someone like Anderson, who's biggest claim to fame was starring in hugely influential nerd genre fare, is so dismissive towards how this nerd genre role was put together and the content itself.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I still think it would have been better (and cheaper) to buy the rights to Starship Troopers and just reuse the speech at the beginning. You could just dub over the parts about bugs with "Space huns" or whatever we're supposed to be fighting.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Offkorn posted:

Squadron 42 is mentioned in New York magazine's recent Gillian Anderson interview:

The sad thing is that the Shitizen takeaway from that article would be "SEEE?!? Squadron 42 is coming out this year! :smug: "

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know why some people kept raging at Gryphon for so long, it was quite interesting to see him slowly come around to our side. I called it when I said he'd turn before Octopode.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

So from the standpoint of Plato's world of forms, the concept is the most pure and true pixel spaceship right? Or is even the concept of the star citizen ship already a derivation of some other higher form?

I don't really understand Plato's philosophy, but I guess what I'm trying to as is basically this:

If Plato were still alive today, how much money would he have put into Star Citizen?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MeLKoR posted:

I don't know why some people kept raging at Gryphon for so long, it was quite interesting to see him slowly come around to our side. I called it when I said he'd turn before Octopode.

I skipped ahead like two hundred pages and missed this, drat it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fil5000 posted:

I skipped ahead like two hundred pages and missed this, drat it.

I don't think he's confronted it yet, he mostly rolled with the punches when someone called him out for acting like a retarded creep

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

I liked his meltdown

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Offkorn posted:

"So maybe she finds some sci-fi works easier to take than others." lol

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
"OMG!! That was epic. I peed a little."

-Derek "Derek Smart" Smart

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't think he's confronted it yet, he mostly rolled with the punches when someone called him out for acting like a retarded creep

Oh I saw that. I was hoping for a full blown switch over to demanding a refund.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
someone get Gillian Anderson an account so she can join us in laughing at broken dreams.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Actually I am doing it tomorrow!
We will hold you to this Dr Mr Smart PhD. You have been warned :legal:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Raskolnikov posted:

The Amy's Backing Baking Company video is well worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uPOGxUtZvk

Wow. Never saw this but it's freaking nuts.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm the latest to get a PM from Octopedo. Not opening it though

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Anything good happen during the last 5000 loving posts? I haven't been following this clusterfuck lately.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

kikkelivelho posted:

Anything good happen during the last 5000 loving posts? I haven't been following this clusterfuck lately.

D_Smart cracked the case wide open. FBI is raiding Santa Monica as we speak!

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

kikkelivelho posted:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/407yoc/derek_threatens_to_dox_again/cys6ckd

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

kikkelivelho posted:

nah, the OP has you covered with the interesting developments

vvvvv I don't think you're missing anything, they're pretty scammy

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 10, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Anyone else toy around with the latest PTU patch? I didn't really notice any improvements, seemed to be little nitpicks really that they focused on. Did anyone notice anything substantial?

Edit: I mostly ask because I'm still incredulous that they'd claim the PTU constitutes a significant portion of the game. There's almost nothing going on, and usually things aren't working. Either they are bigger scam artists than I thought, or I'm missing something huge.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 10, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fil5000 posted:

Edit: not feeding trolls

That Works fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 10, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Anyone else toy around with the latest PTU patch? I didn't really notice any improvements, seemed to be little nitpicks really that they focused on. Did anyone notice anything substantial?

Edit: I mostly ask because I'm still incredulous that they'd claim the PTU constitutes a significant portion of the game. There's almost nothing going on, and usually things aren't working. Either they are bigger scam artists than I thought, or I'm missing something huge.
Has server stability/bug frequency improved at all?? The amount of terrible clipping I've seen in pretty much every video is hilarious.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Xaerael posted:

The other thing about the two videos I posted that is so drat important. Let's look at the script.

SC: camera pans on DigiOldman. Massive speech about "Blah Blah meanies from space blah blaaahhhhhh" audience golfclaps.

FFXIV: *Melancholic song starts* Camera shows HOLY poo poo THINGS HAPPENING HOLY gently caress WAR HOLY gently caress BIG THREAT PEOPLE DOING STUFF OH NO DRAMA I DON'T EVEN KNOW THESE GUYS YET BUT I FEEL INVESTED. No dialogue.

Rule of the now: Show, don't tell.

i wonder if this is Chris "real" vision or just the rushed compromise to "get something out of the door" in order to drive the whale in a feeding frenzy. I mean, even the most untalented film school grad would have at least show some cut of gathering fleets and massage the soundtrack for a slow buildup of tension as the speech reach its climax.

Compare and discuss :

SQ42 Admiral bishop : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FF-ewiwmhs

BAB 5 Battle of the line :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzJaQtZty5M&t=104s

Also take in account than BAB5, as Sci-fi shows go, was made on a potato budget.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

I got one with the SEX tag titled "please just give me one more chance i'll be good" just after I posted the last one here. I'm not opening it either.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

That Works posted:

Who is Octopedo?

It's Seraph. They use PMs in an attempt to get people to screenshot them so they can post in the thread without having to rereg for the 26th time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's Seraph. They use PMs in an attempt to get people to screenshot them so they can post in the thread without having to rereg for the 26th time.

Oh crap I played right into it. Lemme go delete the pic.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

El Grillo posted:

Has server stability/bug frequency improved at all?? The amount of terrible clipping I've seen in pretty much every video is hilarious.

No, the physics appear unimproved. Same clipping, same jankiness, same flip a coin luck involved with every action you take. You might make it into your ship without clipping into the side, you might make it into the pilot chair, you might take off without spontaneously exploding, etc. When I toy around with an Alpha, I expect placeholder textures, missing or broken missions, and occasional bugs. But I also expect the foundation to be relatively solid, which is SO not the case here.

This isn't even really an Alpha, or a pre-Alpha. It gives me the overwhelming impression that the PTU is its own code branch, released to silence critics, and somewhere in the bowels of CIG hell the developers are feverishly working on the "real" game. If they ever get around to releasing that to the PTU, nobody will be the wiser - they'll just up the release number and the patch will be the usual 30GB everyone has gotten accustomed to.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

That Works posted:

Who is Octopedo? I just got this in a PM from him / her. I only barely post in here and just kinda follow the thread now and then for laughs so am not really current on the drama stuff.

It's the spirit of Parp trying to manifest itself in our dimension.

Or a permabanned child molester, hard to tell

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

HiHo ChiRho posted:

It's the spirit of Parp trying to manifest itself in our dimension.

Or a permabanned child molester, hard to tell

Hey do me a solid and edit the pic out? Don't really want to aid the trolls or anything.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

aleksendr posted:

i wonder if this is Chris "real" vision or just the rushed compromise to "get something out of the door" in order to drive the whale in a feeding frenzy. I mean, even the most untalented film school grad would have at least show some cut of gathering fleets and massage the soundtrack for a slow buildup of tension as the speech reach its climax.

Compare and discuss :

Also take in account than BAB5, as Sci-fi shows go, was made on a potato budget.

The mistake you're making is thinking that Chris Roberts knows literally anything about cinematography and script writing.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

1stGear posted:

The mistake you're making is thinking that Chris Roberts knows literally anything about cinematography and script writing.

Fixed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lowtax should really get around to banning Octopedo so he has to re-reg, rather than hide behind his 10000 year probation

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

ok the tv pilot thing made giggle out loud. Good job everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

aleksendr posted:

Compare and discuss :

Yeah. I mean, if you're going to do a speech shot, it's so important to show the gravity and reaction to the situation. Even the President's speech in the notoriously pretty bad 20 (holy gently caress) year old movie Independence Day had more gravity and emotion to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t1IK_9apWs

• Locked thread