Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

Just so you know I took that line from Derek on the polygon article and plugged Sandis name in

Just so you know, Sandi was stalking me here, and emailing me privately (along with having her employees contact me via text message).
And my opinion of her is that she's a Harpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
They throwing hate at me,
Want me to stay at ease,
gently caress you and your corporations,
Y'all goons can't control me.
I know that we the new whales,
I know that we the new whales.
I'm 'bout to wild the gently caress out,
I'm going Bobby Bootchae,
I know that pussy ain't shaved
You Smart pussies, ain't me.
Y'all throwing contracts at me.
You know that whales can't read.
Throw 'em some Aurora keys,
gently caress it, c'est la vie!
I know that we the new Whales.
Y'all goons can't gently caress with me,
Y'all goons can't gently caress with Ben
I'll move my family out the country
So you can't see where I stay.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scruffpuff posted:

Has anything in this game been thought out at any level? The more I learn the less I know.

The answer is always yes. To everything. No matter what.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Just so you know, Sandi was stalking me here, and emailing me privately (along with having her employees contact me via text message).

Karl probably emailed her your post, just fyi.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZUa0yXHW1Q&t=91s

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ravane posted:

They throwing hate at me,
Want me to stay at ease,
gently caress you and your corporations,
Y'all goons can't control me.
I know that we the new whales,
I know that we the new whales.
I'm 'bout to wild the gently caress out,
I'm going Bobby Bootchae,
I know that pussy ain't shaved
You Smart pussies, ain't me.
Y'all throwing contracts at me.
You know that whales can't read.
Throw 'em some Aurora keys,
gently caress it, c'est la vie!
I know that we the new Whales.
Y'all goons can't gently caress with me,
I'll move my family out the country
So you can't see where I stay.

I don't know what you just said, but I like how you said it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

How.

I know this question keeps occurring, but really. How?!?

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Definitely not a hacked together tech demo of a Crysis mod.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Tippis posted:

How.

~Dreams~

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Karl probably emailed her your post, just fyi.

Ok. Still doesn't mean she's free to privately email me about my funny, yet hurtful shitposting habits.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Ok. Still doesn't mean she's free to privately email me about my funny, yet hurtful shitposting habits.

Report it to their ISP as a continuous spam campaign. :D

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I don't know what you just said, but I like how you said it.

It's New Slaves by Kanye West. Another creative mind with a God complex.

Only difference is, he doesn't just hand out unfinished mp3s and ask for money.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

How is this not in the OP?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

BluestreakBTHR posted:

No I agree, I just think that's what happened and although her reading this thread would be funny, I don't think there's any way she would.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Sandi you can email me about my shitposting. I would enjoy having a conversation with the world's best saleswoman.

:gary: :pgabz: :yarg:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6sthvLNQD8&t=1490s

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tippis posted:

How.

There was a post a while ago that theorised that players don't climb onboard ships, but rather they transform into ships.

This theory explains a lot. The long boarding animations, immortal pilots, why your character model does deformed animations when you're erroneously ejected from your ship, why you'd get situations when the game bugs out and gives you player controls but displays your model as a ship.

I'm interested in knowing how the game handles multiple pilots in a ship. Are they all modelled as the same ship or do you transform into various components of the ship such as turrets or chairs?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Another thing, CryEngine is meant to be an engine that makes things pretty but basically destroys any but the highest end rigs, which is why it has completely fallen out of favor. Because like I said before, having a good art style is more important than being pretty

Xaerael posted:

Yeah. I mean, if you're going to do a speech shot, it's so important to show the gravity and reaction to the situation. Even the President's speech in the notoriously pretty bad 20 (holy gently caress) year old movie Independence Day had more gravity and emotion to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t1IK_9apWs

Don't forget to not make your inspirational actor sound like he's got 4th stage lung cancer and making the speech on his death bed.

D_Smart posted:

^this. Yes, pretty much.

I repeat: He's a loving moron.

As are most of these people, I swear

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how the UI for their jumping between locations is identical to Elite Dangerous. Seems like CIG just copied that.

Watch this set Chris Roberts off and he halts all production to make it distinctly more different and complicated to use so as not to be compared to Braben

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Chalks posted:

There was a post a while ago that theorised that players don't climb onboard ships, but rather they transform into ships.

This theory explains a lot. The long boarding animations, immortal pilots, why your character model does deformed animations when you're erroneously ejected from your ship, why you'd get situations when the game bugs out and gives you player controls but displays your model as a ship.

Yes, sure to all of that, but how on earth does it lose track of what object it is?! Even if they're using the standard trick of transforming the player into the ship, the amount of code fuckery going on that lets the game forget what the player is — the one critical base bit of data that lets the whole thing work at all — is just staggering.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chalks posted:

I'm interested in knowing how the game handles multiple pilots in a ship. Are they all modelled as the same ship or do you transform into various components of the ship such as turrets or chairs?

From liriks VOD when he was manning a turret I think you just turn into the component. When the game glitched he just sort sunk from the turret position and kept free falling through space without being able to move.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

"If there's one thing the Vanduul has taught us is that without victory there can be no survival!"

Like, at least reference some epic space battles that have happened and show some space action that happened at them.

Seriously. I honestly think they were trying to go off the Sky Marshal's speech from Starship Troopers, but they forgot about the lead-in that set the tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFuaYA-daw

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

Seriously. I honestly think they were trying to go off the Sky Marshal's speech from Starship Troopers, but they forgot about the lead-in that set the tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFuaYA-daw

…also that it needs to be short and to the point.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Yes, sure to all of that, but how on earth does it lose track of what object it is?! Even if they're using the standard trick of transforming the player into the ship, the amount of code fuckery going on that lets the game forget what the player is — the one critical base bit of data that lets the whole thing work at all — is just staggering.

He had damaged engines if they put an event in for engines giving up and destroying the ship during quantum travel, it's possible they linked it to the Constellation model (funnily enough an undamaged one) as the default.

The whole thing looks like a mess of spaghetti code to me, I mean how difficult is it not to recreate the avatar model immediately after death for a split second? Making the engine do something is difficult you'd think not making it do something is easier and this would be one of the first things you fix. But it's pretty obvious they ditched the whole FPS branch of the code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bog9EKU_Awo&t=180s

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tippis posted:

The situations where you transform from one object to another are quite complex so it seems pretty easy to have some bugs in there. For example, it looks like what we saw in the video was the scenario where the PC is a ship and what's happening to it is it's exploding while in warp.

In order to do this, it would need to do a whole bunch of things such as dropping warp, playing various animations, audio effects, spawning objects such as wreckage, swapping the control scheme from ship to human, killing the PC and so fourth.

Also they need to transform the PC from the ship model to the human model using some masking animation. It seems pretty straight forward to either have neglected to include that line of code, or to have included it in such a way that it was bugged and failed to execute - such as trying to use a masking animation that doesn't exist or has been deleted.

All the other stuff happens, but your model remains transformed as a ship. The system hasn't so much lost track of what you are, but it has failed to transform you into a new thing and left you in the previous state, with an inconsistent control scheme etc.

The fact that they're transforming players rather than having players actually pilot ships has HUGE implications for the rest of the game and probably massively limits what they're able to do. It seems like it may be the root of a bunch of the really weird glitches that we see. I still have no idea how they're planning on handling the concept in piracy and boarding since you're not trying to steal a ship from the player, you're trying to steal the player since the player is the ship. A rather bizarre situation.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPXUMsKu-cA&t=120s

Collisions are so hosed. Watch the piece of debris and one of those spinny rings of the port. Don't mind the rest of the ship humping the landing pad.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BluestreakBTHR posted:

You have given them enough money without them needing to blow through your SMS quota. How freaking presumptuous is that? Did you say "Hey, CIG, go ahead and text me if you need to. Never mind email or forums (unless you've been banned) or anything that doesn't potentially cost me more money..."?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

It's not unusual in a FPS engine to make your controlled guy "become" the vehicle, with an animated model of yourself in the driver's seat - lots of them do this. But CIG has wrapped their entire identity, and the very basis of what they're selling, on the idea that this all all real you guys, we would never do what everyone else is doing. So they're trying ridiculously hard to use all kinds of weird poo poo to hide the fact that yeah, they are just doing what everyone else is doing. And all the elaborate spaghetti code wrapped around creating the illusion that they're different is why nothing works.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AP posted:

He had damaged engines if they put an event in for engines giving up and destroying the ship during quantum travel, it's possible they linked it to the Constellation model (funnily enough an undamaged one) as the default.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daztek posted:

Collisions are so hosed. Watch the piece of debris and one of those spinny rings of the port. Don't mind the rest of the ship humping the landing pad.

How are you surviving in space without a helmet?

Wasn't there a big deal made about helmets at PAX East a few years ago? :v:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Daztek posted:

Why are the ring rotation animations so glitchy as if they're suffering from network lag? I've always noticed this and it doesn't make any sense. Why aren't the ring animations client side? Are they really trying to stream full dynamic structure animations directly from the server? What's the point of that?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Was that guy that texted you an employee? I thought he was just a whale in one of the larger organisations. Or do they have devs in the larger organisations under alt accounts?

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Two open mouths and zero donkey dicks. You certainly have more class than me.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sorry, wrong numberstation

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Wet it up

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
From Crozzie B's wikipedia bio:

quote:

Following the traditions of Origin Systems, Chris Roberts's residence at the outskirts of Austin, Texas was named "Commander's Ranch", a reference to the Wing Commander series.

(turn your volume down)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_iSQ65ZDAE&t=37s

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq8ud6K8esE

I'm not sure but his ship is still flying.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Chalks posted:

Oh, this is the best part. So you spawn, say, a Constellation on the landing pad. This is a separate physics object which exists in the world and has is its own object (or set of objects). But it's different in this way: unlike the station, which can be considered, for all intents and purposes, stationary, THIS object has its own physics grid, so that players can walk around on it. So you have to change the spaceman avatar (which does not have a localized physics grid) to an avatar that does. And this object has to not only react to stationary objects properly (like the station), but have objects interact realistically with it as well (like the passengers). It's nuts.

So you get in the pilot seat, and the NPC character disappears, and now you have direct control of the Constellation (or rather, you are the Constellation). But it still exists as a physics object, same as when it was on the pad, so your passengers are sitting inside of your model. It's no different than the physics of walking around on the station, but now the object is mobile. So when you decide to zip along somewhere at incredible speeds and you make a hard bank right, think of how awesome it must be to now have to calculate what happens to everyone inside.

There are countless ways they could have made a multicrew space game with all kinds of tricks and poo poo, but no, they had to be able to say it was all happening in the real physics grid in real time etc. etc. CIG, I have a tip for you: The Matrix was a movie. One day we will have the tech to do this poo poo, but in the words of Aragorn, it is not this day. Especially not with CryEngine.

Oh, I'm sorry... StarEngine.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 10, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
that rajafa guy didnt like my video :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Chalks posted:

The situations where you transform from one object to another are quite complex so it seems pretty easy to have some bugs in there. For example, it looks like what we saw in the video was the scenario where the PC is a ship and what's happening to it is it's exploding while in warp.

In order to do this, it would need to do a whole bunch of things such as dropping warp, playing various animations, audio effects, spawning objects such as wreckage, swapping the control scheme from ship to human, killing the PC and so fourth.

Also they need to transform the PC from the ship model to the human model using some masking animation. It seems pretty straight forward to either have neglected to include that line of code, or to have included it in such a way that it was bugged and failed to execute - such as trying to use a masking animation that doesn't exist or has been deleted.

All the other stuff happens, but your model remains transformed as a ship. The system hasn't so much lost track of what you are, but it has failed to transform you into a new thing and left you in the previous state, with an inconsistent control scheme etc.

The fact that they're transforming players rather than having players actually pilot ships has HUGE implications for the rest of the game and probably massively limits what they're able to do. It seems like it may be the root of a bunch of the really weird glitches that we see. I still have no idea how they're planning on handling the concept in piracy and boarding since you're not trying to steal a ship from the player, you're trying to steal the player since the player is the ship. A rather bizarre situation.

I do not understand why people keep holding this up as something CIG are doing wrong. First of all, it is the standard way of doing vehicles in FPS games. UE4 does it this way, the Tribes games did it this way and the Battlefield games do too. Second, they're very clearly doing more than this.

Generic vehicle control:

• Player "uses" vehicle
  • Player character plays animation getting into vehicle (or not!)
  • Player possesses the vehicle entity, control input is passed to that instead of the player.
  • The players previous character model is now mounted / attached to the seat or whatever.
  • Second player "uses" the vehicle.
  • Second player plays an animation, their previous model is mounted / attached and their control input is translated to a gun turret.

Star Citizen has taken this one step further and instead of just transferring player control to another entity they appear to transfer control to something much more complicated that acts like its own little game map with a physics grid, opening and closing doors, elevators, things to interact with etc. Players can rock up, hit use on a door and enter the vehicle, walk around opening the shitter or riding elevators without ever going through the transformation outlined above until they sit in the pilot seat or a gunnery position. It is totally hosed and janky as hell, but they are doing more. This is not just getting in a jeep in Crysis.

Speculating about masking animations and train hats in an effort to discredit CIG is starting to veer towards being reverse Octopode. There are so many legitimate things to criticise it's frustrating to see this come up over and over.

(This is not aimed specifically at you Chalks, tons of people have been saying this)

• Locked thread