Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh man Dersu Uzala really, really needs a restoration too. The condition that movie is currently in is absolutely shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has a sale on some samurai-themed Criterions:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=18254

$16.99:
Hara Kiri
The Hidden Fortress
Kuroneko
The Sword of Doom
Throne of Blood

$23.49:
Seven Samurai

$31.99:
The Samurai Trilogy
Yojimbo/Sanjuro box set

(The link goes to Blu-Ray.com - they also have a bunch of Kino/MGM westerns for cheap)

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I saw the first film in the samurai trilogy which i enjoyed. How do the rest hold up?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I saw the first film in the samurai trilogy which i enjoyed. How do the rest hold up?

Second film is better and has a great climatic fight scene, the third movie isn't bad but is the least interesting of the bunch imo.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Raxivace posted:

Second film is better and has a great climatic fight scene, the third movie isn't bad but is the least interesting of the bunch imo.

hmm, if the set had more extras than an interview I would probably blind buy but I think I'll just hulu them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

they're fuckin great and the last one features basicslly the best samurai duel in film.

very tempted by both that and the Yojimbo/Sanjuro two-pack. is Kuroneko worth a blind buy?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Kuroneko is excellent.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, I went ahead and grabbed Harakiri and Sword of Doom (since I actually have all the others), and I'm super jazzed. Especially since I watched the first segment of Kwaidan last night and now I'm super into Kobayashi. What a stellar, silent filmmaker.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Ended up getting Hidden Fortress, Throne of Blood, and Kuroneko since those were the only ones I didn't have from the sale.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

All of them are fantastic honestly. I also think the second one is the best one, but the climax of 3 is amazing.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, I went ahead and grabbed Harakiri and Sword of Doom (since I actually have all the others), and I'm super jazzed. Especially since I watched the first segment of Kwaidan last night and now I'm super into Kobayashi. What a stellar, silent filmmaker.

You're in for a treat dude, harakiri is the 2nd best Japanese movie ever, probably.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Raxivace posted:

Basically this, but the set is still worth buying for 1 & 2 alone. The last duel in 3 is amazing though.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Too bad they couldn't throw Lady Snowblood into the offer

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

To be honest I find the duel in Samurai III kind of underwhelming too, both dramatically and cinematically. It just isn't good enough for multiple movies worth of buildup. The scene with Musashi on the boat afterwards is good though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I got Kuroneko thanks to the sale and holy poo poo the packaging is so cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I got Kuroneko thanks to the sale and holy poo poo the packaging is so cool.

i did too, along with Yojimbo/Sanjuro and the Samurai Trilogy (i'm bad with money). Kuroneko's the only one i've never seen before, pretty pumped. the dope packaging appealed to me as well.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has more on sale for 50% off:

The Devil's Backbone
Persona
Nashville
Three Outlaw Samurai
The Fisher King
Ministry of Fear
Rififi
La Dolce Vita
Watership Down
The Killers
In the Mood for Love
Hiroshima mon amour
The Complete Monterey Pop
Breaker Morant
Five Easy Pieces
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
Like Someone in Love
Blind Chance
An Autumn Afternoon
Vengeance is Mine
The Rose
Every Man for Himself
The Confession
F for Fake
Here is Your Life
Heaven's Gate
Gates of Heaven/Vernon, Florida
The Double Life of Veronique
The Wages of Fear
Foreign Correspondent (Blu-only edition)
Au revior les enfants
In the Realm of the Senses
The Life of Oharu
Picnic at Hanging Rock
La Jetee/Sans soilel
The Shooting/Ride in the Whirlwind
Weekend (Godard)
The Earrings of Madame De...
La Vie de Boheme
The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant
La Cage aux folles
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!
Insignificance
People On Sunday
My Beautiful Laundrette

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Aargh I just bought tickets to the Bowie tribute at Carnegie Hall in March, I can't be tempted like this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm pissed because I just used an Amazon giftcard on Bone Tomahawk, Ex Machina, and The Martian. I could have probably waited on those if I knew this sale was going to happen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One of Criterion's recent blogs confirmed McCabe & Mrs. Miller is coming. New 4K restoration from the original negative. They were hoping to get Vilmos Zsigmond to approve the transfer, though. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
McCabe & Mrs. Miller is an obvious blind-buy for me because I love Westerns but for some reason I've never gotten around to seeing it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Kid-Blu-ray/79339/#Review

:aaa:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FUN FACT: The kid in Chaplin's The Kid is Jackie Coogan, who grew up to play Uncle Fester in The Addams Family show.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

hmmmm https://twitter.com/awest505/status/688106343123701761

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Only Angels Have Wings
Barcelona
A Whit Stillman Trilogy: Metropolitan, Barcelona, The Last Days of Disco
Phoenix
The Kennedy Films of Robert Drew & Associates
Brief Encounter (standalone re-release)

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 15, 2016

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Slate Action posted:

Only Angels Have Wings
Barcelona
A Whit Stillman Trilogy: Metropolitan, Barcelona, The Last Days of Disco
Phoenix
The Kennedy Films of Robert Drew & Associates
Brief Encounter (standalone re-release)

Isn't Metropolitan already in the collection?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

I Before E posted:

Isn't Metropolitan already in the collection?

Yes, and Last Days of Disco is too. Barcelona is the last one, so they're putting out the full (thematic) trilogy

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I should get around to watching Brief Encounter one of these days.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Brief Encounter is an incredible movie. It's one of those films where everything is so perfectly done, whether it's the acting or the cinematography. I'm still interested in the entire Lean/Coward set, but this is the film I've wanted for the longest time.

The Kennedy films set looks fascinating, especially after seeing clips from Primary in The Story of Film.

I haven't seen Only Angels Have Wings, but I've yet to see a Howard Hawks film I didn't like. Strange that they got this so soon after the TCM Archives release, but I wonder if Sony opted to end their licensing after the fiasco with The Lady from Shanghai.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Primary and Crisis are good watches at least. Really neat look at Kennedy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Weirdly enough I'm watching Brief Encounter right now. It rules.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

gently caress yeah, finally all the Stillman stuff is gonna be on blu-ray (meaning I won't have to pay $20 for a barebones HD copy on Prime Instant)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I bought the Noel Coward blu ray set just for Brief Encounter, it is a wonderful movie. I haven't watched any of the other films in the set yet.

The new stand alone release is the same re-mastering as the one in the box set, right?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

In a Lonely Place (1950; d. Nicholas Ray). ['Lonely Plates']

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

great movie, but a very esoteric cartoon if that's the case.

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
For Canadian, bunch of cheap criterion blu rays for $25 on amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/bestsellers/dvd/13815951/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_d_2_4_last

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Rick Deckard posted:

For Canadian, bunch of cheap criterion blu rays for $25 on amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/bestsellers/dvd/13815951/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_d_2_4_last

Thanks for the heads up, picked up Ace in the Hole and Hoop Dreams to throw in the pile.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Does the Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence Criterion have any neat special features? The film is a personal favourite of mine and I'd love to see some behind the scenes stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Calico Heart posted:

Does the Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence Criterion have any neat special features? The film is a personal favourite of mine and I'd love to see some behind the scenes stuff

Amazon posted:

Special Features
- New, restored high-definition master
- The Oshima Gang, an original making-of featurette
- New interviews w/ Jeremy Thomas, Paul Mayersberg, Tom Conti, & Ryuichi Sakamoto
- Hasten Slowly, an hour-long documentary about Laurens van der Post
- Original theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film writer Chuck Stephens

I swear there was some sort of press junket thing from the 80s with Bowie talking, but maybe that's part of the featurette.

Edit: Buy the soundtrack, it's fantastic.