Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Unfunny Poster posted:

I've heard about it but am going to wait til the full launch unless that's actually come and gone.

It's on Steam Early Access now

http://store.steampowered.com/app/367270/?snr=1_5_1100__1100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
The character creator is mirror I think from a promise made ages ago. Funny they've got most of the game as promised and there's no female avatar or character creator.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Daztek posted:

And birds.
Birds speaking in one of three CIG created languages

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

Has anything in this game been thought out at any level? The more I learn the less I know.

Don't be silly. Of course not.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

D_Smart posted:

Don't be silly. Of course not.

Well, its been thought out to the extent of "Will they pay for this??"

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AP posted:

I don't see a link. Why should I have faith? I think it's going to be a trainwreck or they'll go bust and don't really care which. You trying to convince me or yourself?

Sarcasm doesn't carry well over the interwebs. Those are topics that are not discussed anywhere by CIG (most likely because they have no clue).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Unfucking believable. He dies. And turns into a different ship. Dayum; that's some serious tech. Like Transformers and poo poo.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Real talk for a sec, gonna need little bird space suits with eva capability for my shoulder pirate parrot

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tippis posted:

It was never clear what they promised. They just kept saying that it wouldn't be what all those other lesser games did. Somehow they wouldn't use such cheap tricks and instead be new and wonderful and fantabulous.

Well, I think thats it. I think that they've achieved what they promised and it is wonderful and fantabulous, or would be if it worked 100% and was attached to an actual game instead of a whale milking shitshow. I don't class what we've been talking about as a cheap trick covered by that promise. Sorry for posting about it for hours. :gary: :gary:

AP posted:

I like your posts as your perspective is interesting. You'll have been reading everything about the game and passing it through a filter of what's possible based on your experience and ignoring the bullshit. Your expectations are going to be wildly different to someone who dropped $5000 on it and believes absolutely everything he's told.

What is really bad is that I can't even remember why I started reading the previous thread. I can't remember how I got here. :gonk:

I remember hearing about SC when it was on Kickstarter and some vague mumbles from friends who were annoyed at the hangar module when it was released - but I never backed myself or followed it. Now I can't stop watching this flaming car crash and will legitimately grieve when it is all over and we're done here.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TTerrible posted:

It's all janky as hell and breaks down in the most hilarious ways. I'm coming at it from a dev point of view and assuming that no one in CIG would be insane enough to re-write the vehicles to essentially be maps players can play a boarding action in and make that large undertaking as hard as possible for themselves by doing this player swapping.

The shield thing could be as dumb as them assuming all damage comes from outside. We already know that they dont differentiate between the player model and the ship once you're in the chair so it all gets the same treatment.

Yeah, I imagine if they have done it this way it's because that's how CryEngine vehicles worked and they approached it from the perspective of adding the localised gravity tech to the existing vehicle mechanism. it's not a very sensible approach but equally much of 2.0 seems to be a bunch of tech demos taped together so if the guy in charge of localised gravity tech isn't talking to the FPS team (a part of the game that was outsourced) then this could happen.

Who knows, but it's interesting to speculate on why particular bits of janky behaviour happens.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Unfunny Poster posted:

That RoadBeer guy sure gets butthurt when people point out how toxic the SC community/fanboys are. He's latched on to the "yeah but SA has said mean things about SC! :reddit:" like that's a valid excuse to harass a chick for doing her job, defend pedophiles, etc.

It's adorable.
They are weird.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/40bzev/straight_from_the_horses_mouth_part_1/cyt0n7q?context=3

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gonkish posted:

Dear Lord St. Christ of Roberts,

Can you please put mirrors in your shitshow of a game? It's one crucial feature for immersion so that I can watch my space person jack off in space without having to look down. Thank you, please take this money to buy more cocaine and whores.

Sincerely,
The Brown Sea

Daztek posted:

And birds.

can i trick birds into thinking they are looking at another bird if i put a mirror in front of them? this is very important to my immersion

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TTerrible posted:

Well, I think thats it. I think that they've achieved what they promised and it is wonderful and fantabulous, or would be if it worked 100% and was attached to an actual game instead of a whale milking shitshow. I don't class what we've been talking about as a cheap trick covered by that promise. Sorry for posting about it for hours. :gary: :gary:

Nah, it's fine. Like someone said, I think the only real disagreement is over exactly what texture this poo poo is.

Still, I edited it in in an earlier post, but you had probably moved on by then so I'll nastily reiterate it: what, exactly, do you feel is the new and innovative thing here?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Will you be able to take the birds hostage and rape them? This is an important question concerning my immersion.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I didn't see that, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWQFSzQyeM&t=195s

AP fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 10, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Google Butt posted:

The person that interrupted Derek on that podcast

lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

fuctifino posted:

Will you be able to take the birds hostage and rape them? This is an important question concerning my immersion.

All birds will be murdered brutally in the fourth stimpire

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I *need* that voice clip in my life

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

Sarcasm doesn't carry well over the interwebs. Those are topics that are not discussed anywhere by CIG (most likely because they have no clue).

ah ok, I wasn't sure. This is Star Citizen.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

For those who missed it the other day.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

I do not understand why people keep holding this up as something CIG are doing wrong. First of all, it is the standard way of doing vehicles in FPS games. UE4 does it this way, the Tribes games did it this way and the Battlefield games do too. Second, they're very clearly doing more than this.

Generic vehicle control:

• Player "uses" vehicle
  • Player character plays animation getting into vehicle (or not!)
  • Player possesses the vehicle entity, control input is passed to that instead of the player.
  • The players previous character model is now mounted / attached to the seat or whatever.
  • Second player "uses" the vehicle.
  • Second player plays an animation, their previous model is mounted / attached and their control input is translated to a gun turret.

Star Citizen has taken this one step further and instead of just transferring player control to another entity they appear to transfer control to something much more complicated that acts like its own little game map with a physics grid, opening and closing doors, elevators, things to interact with etc. Players can rock up, hit use on a door and enter the vehicle, walk around opening the shitter or riding elevators without ever going through the transformation outlined above until they sit in the pilot seat or a gunnery position. It is totally hosed and janky as hell, but they are doing more. This is not just getting in a jeep in Crysis.

Speculating about masking animations and train hats in an effort to discredit CIG is starting to veer towards being reverse Octopode. There are so many legitimate things to criticise it's frustrating to see this come up over and over.

(This is not aimed specifically at you Chalks, tons of people have been saying this)

Agreed. But you're forgetting one simple fact: In the BDSSE, you throw out all conventions and do it differently. You know, just because you're innovative.

ps: In my game, vehicles, aircraft, infantry are three separate entities and have their own entity controllers. e.g. as infantry, you have fps controllers. When you enter an aircraft|vehicle, you switch to the relevant controller for that entity. So e.g. you can no longer jump (e.g. spacebar which jumps in infantry controller, could fire missiles in aircraft controller) since you're not infantry any more. When you exit the aircraft|vehicle, it switches back to your infantry controller.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

I agree. But there are side-effects of doing it this way that run contrary to their design goals.

Example: Let's say some guy parks his Constellation but hasn't gotten out yet. Me as the happy pirate that I am, sneak in and attempt to shoot the pilot and hijack the ship. But what's this? My bullets pass through the pilot? Yes, because that pilot is just a placeholder model. Unless that guy leaves his seat, there's dick-all I can do to steal it. Now the pilot knows this, so now he'll never get out of the chair, and I'm stuck holding my virtual dick with nothing to do.

That means immersion has been broken for me, because I can't shoot a guy who's right there, but I can if he gets up. It breaks it for the pilot, because by staying in his seat, he's playing the metagame, rather than being immersed. And so on. The devs have an absolutely herculean task in front of them, and as you said, in any other company it would be fun as hell to work this all out. But at CIG, with Roberts breathing down your neck, it's gotta be awful.

Yes. That's because they are doing it wrong. In LOD, COD, BF etc, it is done correctly. You can shoot, injure, kill a driver or pilot - and take the craft. In fact in LOD, you can actually injure/kill the driver|pilot completely independently of the craft itself. And even if the craft is taking damage, the physics model distributes that to all passengers. So a craft with a shields or armor taking damage, also injures everyone inside it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TTerrible posted:

I'd be very, very surprised if this is the case. I've seen videos of people entering the command chair after other people have got into turrets or are walking around inside the ship. I don't see how deleting the ship and respawning a new entity around other players would ever work or be a path a developer would pursue.

What's to say that a turret isn't another player model, tied to the player-ship? This whole theory is only an issue because it's completely way out in left field from where all the current articles describe the ships and their functions. Consider this, the physics and g-force effects are respective of the ship to the overall map. This is why a player can black out. However, someone in a turret or standing inside the ship do not suffer any effect.

Granted, in my completely non-game-dev point of view it would make sense and would work the best in terms of gameplay, but this leads to all sorts of severe problems that aren't even a factor yet. And these are grame-breaking.

- If the player controlling the ship desyncs, what happens to all the players? Seems like they would all need to lag together in order to at least remain on the same grid. Does the player just despawn and disappear from the pilot's seat?

- Speaking of multicrew, if you are on someone's ship and they log off in space, what happens to your player model? Do you respawn on a random planet? Does the ship remain, and vulnerable to changing hands? Can you imagine how busy their CS would be from people wanting their ship back because a thunderstorm cut their internet out for 10 minutes?

- If you wanted to go and tie a turret-player to a ship-player's effects from its interaction with the full map, you'd need to completely gimp any ship larger than a fighter due to the distance of the turret-player from the ship-player. Any sort of tight turn would knock a turret-gunner out.

VenusRedux
Oct 5, 2015

First off, that's loving retarded.

lol this dude thinks he's original and made that poo poo up.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Yes. That's because they are doing it wrong. In LOD, COD, BF etc, it is done correctly. You can shoot, injure, kill a driver or pilot - and take the craft. In fact in LOD, you can actually injure/kill the driver|pilot completely independently of the craft itself.

I think they just make the "driver" a hitbox in BF4. It's how it would be for the player-ship model as well. And really I don't think it's a big deal until you toss in multicrew, lag, and physics.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Botnit posted:

Is there a wiki for this poo poo from the beginning? All I know about it is it's a huge scam, I deserve to know more.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Development_promises

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I give up, I swear people on Reddit only selectively read your sentences. I'm going to talk to a brick wall.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Wait I'm only on page 3 now and need to know how this story ends, does Derek Smart turn out to be the villainous failed video game maker or does he find redemption and take on the mantle of Star Citizen protector ushering in a new age of accountability?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I always forget about the C&C module which allows you to play an RTS from your bridge.

In-game "Voice Attack" system - what is this?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Botnit posted:

Wait I'm only on page 3 now and need to know how this story ends, does Derek Smart turn out to be the villainous failed video game maker or does he find redemption and take on the mantle of Star Citizen protector ushering in a new age of accountability?

Yes.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

That RoadBeer guy sure gets butthurt when people point out how toxic the SC community/fanboys are. He's latched on to the "yeah but SA has said mean things about SC! :reddit:" like that's a valid excuse to harass a chick for doing her job, defend pedophiles, etc.

It's adorable.

Roadbeer is one of those MWO Pubbie shitlers. He posted in the ketatoa subforum (which is the equivalent of either fyad or byob, whichever is more white noise, and where bad threads went on mwo to get poo poo posted to death), in an attempt to out white noise goons, somehow. I suspect that he likes us, but has no idea how to integrate himself into the group. So he's pissy that we get attention, and he does not.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I was farting around Steam today and decided to take a look at some of Derek's games and reviews and stumbled across this unfavorable review of the UC DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hMdoVRJ0dw

Am I the only one who isn't a loving moron whereby right there on the screen, when you click a profile box, you have the option to DELETE, ACCEPT, CANCEL and yet he claims he doesn't know WHAT to do on that profile screen? And he thinks he can play the game? LOL!!!

https://youtu.be/9hMdoVRJ0dw?t=300

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 10, 2016

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Ok, but what you're referring to as "trickery" is "the way control is transferred". It isn't trickery, it's a basic, standard game programming technique and I don't think they ever implied they'd do it a different way. 4

It is exactly trickery no matter how common it is.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Botnit posted:

if you want to know how the story ends be prepared to be pressing f5 alot.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

VenusRedux posted:

First off, that's loving retarded.

lol this dude thinks he's original and made that poo poo up.
So this person thinks Derek Smart is stalking them and then copying their highly original turns of phrase :tinfoil:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Who is more likely to get an SA account first? Sandi? croberts?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Why would I ever want to buy a game in Early Access?

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I always forget about the C&C module which allows you to play an RTS from your bridge.

In-game "Voice Attack" system - what is this?

Add on voice control software that became immensely popular on... Elite

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh like I speak to the game to do stuff "arm shields!" and stuff. that doesn't seem too crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

BOOM. There it is. Karl is Matilda2013. Confirmed.

• Locked thread