Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sleeveless posted:

You're probably thinking of Red Faction Armageddon, the sequel which ditched the open world destruction for corridor shooting with annoying bug enemies.

Probably yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I think part of it may have been that people were expecting a straightforward action shooter game. In Guerrilla, you explicitly want to avoid head-on attacks and protracted firefights. Guns hurt, you don't have much health, you don't carry much ammunition, the EDF has limitless manpower and equipment, the EDF sends more and more reinforcements and heavier weapons the longer a fight goes on, and it takes a lot of ordnance to take down big targets or the EDF's heavy hardware.

The game strongly encourages you to use hit and run tactics even in the first sector. You are going to lose sooner or later if you try to stand and fight, even with endgame weapons and upgrades. This is one of the main sources of difficulty in a lot of the side missions: you have to fight your way into the target building to free prisoners, but you also want to get in and out fast because there will always be more reinforcements and the longer you take the worse the situation will get.

I can see this surprising and upsetting people expecting to be a one-man army like in most games.

I normally don't play games on easy but I thought it was definitely the best way to play Guerrilla. Game was less about challenging action sequence and more about wrecking poo poo, and on easy you could beat just about any encounter with a dumptruck and a sledgehammer.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
http://i.imgur.com/IKLaeGQ.gifv

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In Red Faction Guerilla's last mission you climb a mountain, laying waste to hordes of tanks and soldiers and blow up an orbital space station. With mainly a hammer if you're playing the game correctly. Alec Mason is a one man army and then some.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I need to get back into RFG now I should be able to play it with a consistent framerate. It was worth persevering with even with the odd times it turned into a slideshow, so it should be nice now. Think I'd just got some gun that disintegrates things. I was going through very slowly though, spending lots of time just wrecking things like an rear end in a top hat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McDragon posted:

I need to get back into RFG now I should be able to play it with a consistent framerate. It was worth persevering with even with the odd times it turned into a slideshow, so it should be nice now. Think I'd just got some gun that disintegrates things. I was going through very slowly though, spending lots of time just wrecking things like an rear end in a top hat.

The nano rifle is amazing, yes. Upgrade it for more ammo ASAP. It's handy for one-shotting any infantry in the game, instantly melting small sections of any structure now matter how durable they are to explosives or the hammer, melting vehicles in just a few shots, shooting down gunships in one shot if you hit the wing, mining without scattering the ore crystals anywhere...

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Inco posted:

I got stuck there as well and it could have been avoided by putting the fishing tutor on the beach, since the first instinct of a lot of people when seeing a tutor is to use the relevant activity spot they are right beside.

Or, they could have just not had a fishing minigame at all because fishing minigames are universally loving terrible and add nothing to any game they're in.

Poor bastard never played a Zelda game. I can't wait for the new Wii U Bassfisher title.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Video games.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I like how the news bulletins in Reccetear contain random poo poo like ads or the weather. :3:

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

McDragon posted:

If it's been a few years since you played, I just reinstalled it thanks to this thread, and it's had a post-GFWL patch that unlocks all the missions after completing the first area and adds the reconstructor to the safehouses. You can now have every area unlocked in like an hour and rebuild things after blowing them up so you can blow them up again.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Pony Island is the new indie flavor of the month and while it's mostly silly and tongue in cheek there's one part towards the end that was really effective.

One of the entities that you have to destroy challenges you to a duel of concentration, effectively a staring contest where you have to type things without looking away. After a few rounds my friend starts sending me messages over Steam like "lol wtf" and "were you hacked???", only when I alt-tabbed to check the messages there was nothing there and when I switched back to the game I had lost because I looked away and lost the game of concentration. It turns out the messenger notices were completely fake and in-game and a way of "tricking" you into losing the contest, even though they pulled my friend's actual name and icon and it looks and sounds exactly like Steam's messenger. And then when I tried it again and ignored it the messages got more frantic until they broke character and had the entity taunting me in all-caps messages.

Then a few rounds later I fell for it again when it started playing Facebook alert sounds in the background. :negative:

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Feb 16, 2016

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

That reminded me of the trailer for Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015. ( watch in full screen, possibly slightly :nws:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_EWr2GJ5A

Rectus has a new favorite as of 00:04 on Jan 11, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately that little moment is lost if you have a non-standard Steam skin because it uses the default no matter what afaik.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I'm laughing way too hard at Fallout 4 right now. I just got around to doing Old Guns and holy poo poo the old general. Ahahaha lying there buried underground with bottles of amontillado.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I decided to try Space Station 13 again today. As suggested by the Wiki, I picked Chaplain as my job because you don't have to actually do anything and can roleplay as much or as little as you want. After 10 minutes of figuring out what I was doing, it was time to explore the station. I'm not sure if the botanists were trying to kill people or just get them high, but one of them offered me some honey that I ate without thinking. Two minutes later, I was back in my chapel falling down repeatedly because of methamphetamine withdrawa. Another unfortunate crewmate who had been given glowing fruit by the botanists stumbled in and started convulsing. I shook him to try to wake him up, and being unsuccessful I realized that I had lost my bible somewhere and grabbed the backup from the confessional. I went back and forth hitting him and myself with the bible like a bad slapstick routine (hitting someone with a bible heals them and inflicts a small amount of brain damage.) Seemingly recovered, I went exploring and came across a dead monkey in the hallway. As is my sacred duty I dragged it back to the chapel, put it in a coffin and dragged the coffin to the front of the chapel, and said a few words of remembrance to the empty room because like I said, sacred duty (and there might be ghosts watching and I don't want to disappoint them.) The chapel is equipped with a mass driver to launch bodies into space, and if you've read any of the SS13 stories here or in the game bugs thread it should come as no surprise that I managed to accidentally drop the dead monkey and shoot myself into space, where I avoided freezing to death by suffocating first.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I discovered another fun thing about Red Faction Guerrilla: if you get your hands on a tank and bring the alert level down to green, go drive it around a populated road. Civilian drivers freak the gently caress out when they see a tank on the road, and I sparked an enormous demolition derby driving from Oasis to the Free Fire Zone as civilian vehicles would drive straight ahead until they got within twenty feet of me at which point they'd turn around at full speed and flee, usually crashing into each other in the process.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

It didn't foil anything, though? :confused: You rejigger the RNG by doing something (and I always had someone who didn't do anything during a turn for that specific task), and it changed the outcome. Just because Terror From The Deep assumed that X-COM struggled mightily and lost many of its forces and didn't have a commander with CHIM doesn't mean that was true, after all.

Related to this accidental derail, I think I fell in love with Renowned Explorers when it flat out asked me if I wanted a rougelike or a proper save-and-reload experience. :swoon:

A few days late, but in XCOM:EU you could actually do the exact same things with the same characters but in a different order and it would reroll.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

ShootaBoy posted:

So I'm laughing way too hard at Fallout 4 right now. I just got around to doing Old Guns and holy poo poo the old general. Ahahaha lying there buried underground with bottles of amontillado.

I'm glad somebody else got that!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'm glad somebody else got that!

For the love of god, ChogsEnhour!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yes! For the love of GOd!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
In Fallout: New Vegas I paid a man generously to spread flattering lies about me and it resulted in me getting flagged down in the street every 5 minutes by Elvis impersonators who want to hand me corn

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
One of the main characters from Tales from the Borderlands in an episode loses his boot.
These are his sock colours

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Croccers posted:

One of the main characters from Tales from the Borderlands in an episode loses his boot.
These are his sock colours

Black and white socks? What's the joke here?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
First, he's a Hyperion employee and those are Hyperion's colors; dude is branded by his workplace so much that even his socks are Hyperion. Second, he is voiced by Troy Baker, who is very vocal about not wearing boring socks.

There are also a couple points in the ensuing episode where characters make note of his missing shoe, and almost every time you can respond with some variation of "no but socks are the best part of a guy's wardrobe shut up".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Pony Island is the new indie flavor of the month and while it's mostly silly and tongue in cheek there's one part towards the end that was really effective.

Reminds me of Eternal Darkness where the game hosed with you, including making it seem like you deleted your own saved game. More games should try that.

kizudarake posted:

Are you colorblind? Am I colorblind? Those are yellow and blue socks with white stars on them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Clearly they're white and gold

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I still have a copy of Eternal Darkness. I bet it's aged incredibly badly because it would make it seem like the volume was turning down on its own or the channel would change, but of course it used the sort of blocky monochrome green menu graphics that TVs had back then. Not a chance this would fool anyone today. In fact, I'm not sure it's still recognizable as a TV menu.

Not complaining, mind you. They had to take a gamble on whether your particular TV would have menus visually similar to their graphics, nevermind futureproofing them.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Leal posted:

Reminds me of Eternal Darkness where the game hosed with you, including making it seem like you deleted your own saved game. More games should try that.
Unfortunately Nintendo has a patent on sanity mechanics (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=6,935,954) so it'll be another 10 years before we see more of that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Doesn't somebody (nintendo or namco I thought) also have a patent on playable minigames during loading screens? Patents are the Worst.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Doesn't somebody (nintendo or namco I thought) also have a patent on playable minigames during loading screens? Patents are the Worst.

They did, but it expired recently.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That actually just expired last month (it was Namco).

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Atari did, but it expired recently (Aug 2015?) so hopefully those make a comeback soon!

e: welp I guess I was way off, thanks memory

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Namco does but I think that one expired recently? If we're talking about devastating patents in video games, Nintendo used to have the patent for the best D-Pad design for controllers, which completely neutered the D-Pads of most of the competition.

Edit: Jesus talk about being beaten.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

First, he's a Hyperion employee and those are Hyperion's colors; dude is branded by his workplace so much that even his socks are Hyperion. Second, he is voiced by Troy Baker, who is very vocal about not wearing boring socks.

There are also a couple points in the ensuing episode where characters make note of his missing shoe, and almost every time you can respond with some variation of "no but socks are the best part of a guy's wardrobe shut up".

Here's the joke kizudarake was making.

Leal posted:

Are you colorblind? Am I colorblind? Those are yellow and blue socks with white stars on them.

Quoting you so you see it as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

Here's the joke kizudarake was making.

That's a pretty bad joke with almost no relation to the thing referenced so I refuse to take a hit for not getting it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

I played the game but had no clue about Troy Baker's sock preference so I appreciate this post.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Australian national colours. Used a lot on our sporting uniforms (Along with white stars). 2K Australia worked on Borderlands The Pre-Sequel.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Tthe piglet pet in Pillars of Eternity is about the cutest thing ever

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Croccers posted:

Australian national colours. Used a lot on our sporting uniforms (Along with white stars). 2K Australia worked on Borderlands The Pre-Sequel.

Ah-ha. That is a really deeply layered joke for a single sock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

That's a pretty bad joke with almost no relation to the thing referenced so I refuse to take a hit for not getting it

Nothing malicious to my response just saying that you took the joke seriously is all.

kizudarake posted:

haveblue posted:

Clearly they're white and gold