Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Daztek posted:

And birds.

I want, no, NEED to see birds IN mirrors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

aleksendr posted:

Right now you cant play as anything other than a burly white male locked in a spacesuit. No plan or date for the character creator have yet to be announced. We don't even know if we can play a female pilot.

Alien spaceships have been sold (of course) but they are not in game yet.

You can play as a blob too

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

aleksendr posted:

Right now you cant play as anything other than a burly white male locked in a spacesuit. No plan or date for the character creator have yet to be announced. We don't even know if we can play a female pilot.

Alien spaceships have been sold (of course) but they are not in game yet.

To expand on this, they have said they are working on both the character creater and female models. They have not said when/if those are ever coming out. There are no plans to let you play as an alien (until a Sandibot reads this thread and automagically submits the idea for consideration) but you can be anything you want to be in this game (including an alien) using the unlimited power of YOUR IMAGINATION.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Something that cracked me up was that in the most recent 104TCM one of the first (maybe even THE first) question that the Dread Pirate Croberts answered was one in which somebody asked if there would be micro-transactions for the current lovely PTU so shitizens could color their ships / clothes / icons etc. Out of all the questions in that segment that was the only one where he got really enthusiastic and expressed that not only was it planned but it was coming very soon. Gotta milk that money as long as they can!

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Samizdata posted:

I want, no, NEED to see birds IN mirrors!

:pgabz:

:pgabz:

Best drat :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux: I ever spent. Star Citizen, if not a game, just keeps on giving and giving in the form of this thread.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

:laffo: Pro tier trolling. Even had the cultists upvoting it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

lilspooky posted:

Something that cracked me up was that in the most recent 104TCM one of the first (maybe even THE first) question that the Dread Pirate Croberts answered was one in which somebody asked if there would be micro-transactions for the current lovely PTU so shitizens could color their ships / clothes / icons etc. Out of all the questions in that segment that was the only one where he got really enthusiastic and expressed that not only was it planned but it was coming very soon. Gotta milk that money as long as they can!

How many thousands do you think the Wulge will drop if he can just copy|paste his dick pics onto his ship so that the maximum number of star citizen women can see his taint?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

I liked the part when you were flying.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

fuctifino posted:

The Wisdom Cube!!!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Man they go full modzi on anyone not chugging koolaid but that post is still up. The dude didn't even get a warning or a locked thread. Says all you need to know about CIG's community standards

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

fuctifino posted:

But most of the people paying money to play SC already play as blobs

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Berious posted:

Man they go full modzi on anyone not chugging koolaid but that post is still up. The dude didn't even get a warning or a locked thread. Says all you need to know about CIG's community standards

Someone should ask Ben or the other guy if they're OK with fanfic about shoving razors up women's genitals as representing their community.

Or if they'll actually remove it after numerous reports were made about it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LOL :pgabz:

:gary:

e: I refreshed, and a mod deleted the thread.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 11, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Lowtax posted:

But most of the people paying money to play SC already play as blobs

The "replace me" texture is a metaphor for their expectations of life in the verse

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Gonkish posted:

How many thousands do you think the Wulge will drop if he can just copy|paste his dick pics onto his ship so that the maximum number of star citizen women can see his taint for maximum exposure?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hahah have they just swept the CS queue clear and asked people to resubmit tickets if they think they've got a REAL issue? Amazing

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Star Citizen Thread Read Through Day 2 - 1/10/2016

I saw a snail...crawling along the edge of a straight razor. This is my dream. This is my nightmare.

Just kidding. My task is still mind-blowingly daunting though. Reading through Chris' response to the Escapist certainly resolidified in my mind that the critics here are right about the project being mismanaged. He certainly sounds passionate about the game. But everything they've released and done since has been quite awful. I did pick up a few things from actually reading through his response that I wasn't previously aware of:

-Chris wrote that the base project is Squadron 42 (soon), Arena Commander/Racing (delivered), and Enhanced community content like the podcasts (delivered). Literally everything else like the PU, Economy, Exploration, etc. are apparently "stretch goals". I had been operating under the assumption that the online PU was the base game and Squadron 42 was a stretch goal. This says to me that they will never have an actual "release" of the online multiplayer portion. Once they get Squadron 42 (Episode 1 lol) out the door, they can scale down the entire project to a level that matches the monthly income and they pump out small content updates to what is now called the baby PU. Everyone knows the cultists will wake up to reality someday, but this route will make it so it happens slowly over time and they wake up 1 by 1. The real danger to CIG is if all of them unplug at once.

-Chris wrote that projects with half the scope of Star Citizen often take four or five years to develop. Does that mean it's reasonable to assume that Star Citizen will require eight to ten years of development before all goals are met? He's also using February 2013 as the start date of the project according to his letter because that's when they opened the first studio.

-I have a very clear definition in my mind of what "open development" means, and it's a different one that the backers and developers are using. There's nothing special about talking with engineers, artists, QA people, or the other low level staff as they discuss what they're working on. This happens in almost EVERY game nowadays. It's called building hype for your project. What open development means to me is all the stuff CIG refuses to talk about, like design documents, new release dates, financial details, and concrete roadmaps.

Anyways one thing that's bothering me is all the broken imgur links. This whole debacle has generated so many memorable images (I'm not talking about ship JPEGS) that I never thought to save, such as the one where Ben looks like he's in ecstasy because Chris is in the room and Chris has his crazy weird looking old woman hand on Ben's shoulder. It really should be in the OP.

I'm through page 3. Stay classy POTATOES.

Amarcarts fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 11, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

fuctifino posted:

ahahahaha

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Was that guy that texted you an employee? I thought he was just a whale in one of the larger organisations. Or do they have devs in the larger organisations under alt accounts?

He stated in the conversation that he works for CIG, but was contacting me "as a friend" because I had "fallen in with a bad crowd." :jerkoff:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Woot!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

fuctifino posted:

CIG customer service is terrible. The mods of /r/starcitizen are terrible.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Gonkish posted:

How many thousands do you think the Wulge will drop if he can just copy|paste his dick pics onto his ship so that the maximum number of star citizen women can see his taint?

Gonkish posted:

star citizen women

:lol:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
this seems like a reallly big deal. I don't know how this wouldn't set of some red alarms among the whales. However, they will make excuses for it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
look at those tongues in those eyes??

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Amarcarts posted:

-Chris wrote that the base project is Squadron 42 (soon), Arena Commander/Racing (delivered), and Enhanced community content like the podcasts (delivered). Literally everything else like the PU, Economy, Exploration, etc. are apparently "stretch goals". I had been operating under the assumption that the online PU was the base game and Squadron 42 was a stretch goal. This says to me that they will never have an actual "release" of the online multiplayer portion. Once they get Squadron 42 (Episode 1 lol) out the door, they can scale down the entire project to a level that matches the monthly income and they pump out small content updates to what is now called the baby PU. Everyone knows the cultists will wake up to reality someday, but this route will make it so it happens slowly over time and they wake up 1 by 1. The real danger to CIG is if all of them unplug at once.

This is all completely ancient news but yes, I remember his blathering about Squadron 42 being an optional campaign that can be played within the greater "game" and completing it will open options to your player. I guess nobody was supposed to actually remember what mush mouth was pushing.

Jimb fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 11, 2016

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer
This was a message that Usher left off mistakenly in his report.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

fuctifino posted:

Good thing i resubmitted my refund request and updated it to just say 'yeah gently caress you guys its chargeback time'

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Amarcarts posted:

Chris wrote that the base project is Squadron 42 (soon), Arena Commander/Racing (delivered), and Enhanced community content like the podcasts (delivered). Literally everything else like the PU, Economy, Exploration, etc. are apparently "stretch goals". I had been operating under the assumption that the online PU was the base game and Squadron 42 was a stretch goal. This says to me that they will never have an actual "release" of the online multiplayer portion. Once they get Squadron 42 (Episode 1 lol) out the door, they can scale down the entire project to a level that matches the monthly income and they pump out small content updates to what is now called the baby PU. Everyone knows the cultists will wake up to reality someday, but this route will make it so it happens slowly over time and they wake up 1 by 1. The real danger to CIG is if all of them unplug at once.

that was my understanding as well, that SQ42 was secondary to the 'main game' of doing whatever you want in a big space world.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

it looks like being able to access the campaign (for those with 'appropriate packages', lol) was the first stretch goal, at $2m. but the language used - that you need an 'appropriate package' to access it - implies that there's another base-level package that doesn't have SQ42. so yeah. goalposts have shifted. again.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fuctifino posted:

:laffo:

Also
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zzm2h/drama_the_responsening_inn/cyrmkwt?context=3

Scimitar3 posted:

neither, more the possibility that pedophiles are not as bad for a community as goons.

Cymelion posted:

That is a really callous remark dude.

Seriously don't try to play this off as just responding - its a race to the bottom and you're losing. Pedophiles are not welcome anywhere and are far worse than people who stir up poo poo for the lolz. With a little perspective you'd see that, loving hell dude if you can't engage sensibly don't engage at all.

Scimitar3 posted:

I asked him for a reason to keep them around and he gives me a reason to keep pedophiles around instead. That weirds me out as much as anything else.

Cymelion posted:

Again.

if you can't engage sensibly don't engage at all.

I don't care if it was obvious bait dude - if you're putting Pedophiles anywhere higher than the lowest rung on the ladder you're making yourself and the community look bad.

You can choose not to comment - who cares if they think its a win - who cares if they dance around saying they got you.

Its words on the internet - in a couple of months you wont even remember this conversation but anyone affected by pedophilia will remember you as the person who said there were people worse than pedophiles who were probably more acceptable.

And in a couple of months when this is all forgotten you'll loving hate yourself for writing that.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Amarcarts posted:

Yeah that's why I've said that the Alpha 2.0 PTU or whatever they want to call it is Star Citizen. It's out. That's the game. Maybe it'll be added to, but who knows?! Squadron 42 is their focus now and they've probably got less than a year to finish Episode 1 before the money runs out (as DSmizzle has alluded to).

fuctifino posted:

fuckin' lol

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

this seems like a reallly big deal. I don't know how this wouldn't set of some red alarms among the whales. However, they will make excuses for it.

:bravo: good lord these people are thick

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lowtax posted:

You know who else didn't spend a dime on spaceship jpgs and didn't support the development of Star Citizen???

That's right

Hitler

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

:bravo: good lord these people are thick

Holy fuckin' hell... they just keep finding ways of being terrible at everything at CIG, don't they?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

New thread :pgabz:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40en2n/did_anyone_just_receive_this_message_from_cig/

:yarg:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
That is such a slam in the loving face email to get for a customer service ticket (from even their loyal ones, doing unmelting or whatever) it makes me think most rational people would be livid.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
what problems could have possibly been brought to customer service that were solved by patch 2.1.0 lmao

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
Legal problems

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
:pgabz: :pgabz:

I hadn't read the thread in four days thanks to work, and I came back to a whole lot of :tviv: Now I'm waiting for Sandy to show up in the thread soon because of her ego. Wonder if it'll work if you say her name three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

poo poo, backlog too big?

just close all the tickets except for the last 10 days

wow we sure are off to a productive start this year!

• Locked thread