Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Whole lotta options flying around right now but thanks thread for telling me about the new shirt club. I would have been way mad if I missed this.
Also I hope Nathan Fielder does a voice. That would be nice.

limp dick calvin fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I like H Jon and everything he's in. I don't even like bobs burgers, but I'll leave it on only for his voice. He's great as Orpheus' master.

Also Dana Snyder, everything he voices is good

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like the Wonder Woman/Angela/Big Barda mash up.

I've grown pretty tired of the LA Comedy scene because its so, for lack of a better term, incestuous. It's the same people promoting each other over and over. I've stopped listened to pretty much any podcast because i'm sick of hearing promos for shows by the same dozen people are Largos over and over that take up a quarter of the episode.

It's nothing to do with the quality of the comedy (thought How did this get made does way to many live shows with lovely audio and their 'don't like it then gently caress you' attitude is really condescending).

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Saucy Slit posted:

I don't watch Archer, because he's just a lame re-hash of Xander loving Crews. Whose voice would be more befitting of Archer.

Agreed, King of New York was good.

I tried to watch Frisky Dingo and I couldn't stand it. I love Archer, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's no thread for it, but I really love Moonbeam City. It's not really inventive, anyone who's watched Archer will recognize Dazzel's character is very much Archer, its the art style and music. Its whole super 80s neon futuristic aesthetic with everyone looking like a Nagel painting is amazing.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Guys, the Sovereign is now confirmed dead :(

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ShakeZula posted:

This ain't a joke. He's dead at 69.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's depressing as hell.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And this is how I find out.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Phylodox posted:

Same, the worst

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ashes... to ashes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Literally feels like the world is lesser now.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Saucy Slit posted:

"Jab! Body blow, body blow!!"

Hank, why are you dressed like a pride parade?

Also dang, rip Sovereign :(

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

ShakeZula posted:

Wow

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
Let's hear Dr. Mrs. The Monarch do Ziggy Stardust!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Saucy Slit posted:

True, Wharburton is definitely one of those. I had forgotten. But I over look this and care not because he was born to play Samson and it is so befitting.

Benjamin on the other hand loving blows. He's like the Chris Walken of voice actors. I'm so awfully tired of his dead-pan schtick. He's the Nic Cage of the adult cartoon world. Coach McGuirk was the last and only good match up for him.

Anyway, the voices of this show are a huge part of the magic for me. Varied and different. Unlike other shows where it all sounds like only four voices being done (American Dad, Futurama).

Benjamin is actually a solid voice actor with plenty of range. It's just half the time people ask him to use his natural voice, which is incredibly distinctive. You knew he was was Coach McGuirk, but did you know he was also Jason and a bunch of other random Home Movies characters? You know he's Bob on Bob's Burgers, but did you know that he's also Jimmy Jr. and more random side characters? I just learned he played the mango in the Bible Fruit episode of Aqua Teen. I bet if you went down his IMDB page you'd find plenty of roles where he's basically unrecognizable.

I'm thinking maybe you need to take off your rose colored glasses because the voice work in Venture Bros is by no means perfect and one of the biggest issues is just how few actors they really have. Sure they have lots of great guest stars and Doc, Public, and Urbaniak are really good at disguising their voices, but there are still plenty of times where the same voices are coming out of different mouths. For instance the pirate captain sounds just like Watch from the guild doing a pirate voice and neither is all that far from Torrid who kinda sounds like a deeper, Australian version of the Tim-Tom the moppet. Dermot sounds like Dr. Girlfriend with less phlegm in his throat. David Bowie (RIP) and Phantom Limb sound quite similar. Monstroso sounds just like Truckules. And so on. It took me a few viewings to train my ear to it, but once you learn each actors' particular cadences you'll start really noticing just how many characters they're doing and it's especially noticeable when the actors are talking to themselves, like when Sgr. Hatred and Hank are having a conversation.

Also the Futurama voice cast was a national treasure. Show some respect!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Dana Snyder is very versatile too but everybody loves master shake.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

TontoCorazon posted:

Dana Snyder is very versatile too but everybody loves master shake.

One of the best Venture Bros. voice acting anecdotes is Doc and Jackson talking about when they first had Dana Snyder in to record lines. He was giving them a whole bunch of different houses, until they asked him "uh, could you just do Master Shake?"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Phylodox posted:

It's honestly how I'd prefer to find out

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Brock sums up my feelings on this rather well;

rather appropriate I find out about this here though, Venture Brothers was how I was introduced to the man after all(well not counting Labyrinth)

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Saucy Slit posted:

I don't watch Archer, because he's just a lame re-hash of Xander loving Crews. Whose voice would be more befitting of Archer.
Archer has some consistent nuggets of decency beneath the jerkass attitude and he's kind of smart. Xander was an awful human being through and through and a real idiot.

Saucy Slit posted:

Anyway, the voices of this show are a huge part of the magic for me. Varied and different. Unlike other shows where it all sounds like only four voices being done (American Dad, Futurama).
That's only a testament to Jackson and Hammer's range though. Especially Jackson's.

Also, isn't Mike Sinterniklaas a bit of a big name in voice acting too?

JMBosch posted:

Of course. I had him in there and accidentally deleted him when editing it before posting. I've been waiting for John DiMaggio to pop up in the VBs, but that would be another one of those super recognizable voices that might take some people out of it.
Excuse me, but John DiMaggio is a consummate professional voice actor and he actually has range. You don't put two characters voiced by Patrick Warburton in the same show, but you can (and they did) do that with John DiMaggio.

JT Jag posted:

It's honestly how I'd prefer to find out
I was honestly confused for a moment there. "Yeah, the Sovereign is dead, so what?". And then I had a "Oh." moment and went out to check.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Was there ever any discussion on whether they had to ask permission to use Bowie in the show/was he ever aware of it?

Also, there was a really weird discussion on the radio this morning about all the poo poo Bowie did that he never got credit for and it was kind of surreal just how much stuff he's done that I've listened to or heard about over the years but never knew he was part of.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
David Bowie can't die, he was just needed on his home planet.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Wade Wilson posted:

Was there ever any discussion on whether they had to ask permission to use Bowie in the show/was he ever aware of it?

Also, there was a really weird discussion on the radio this morning about all the poo poo Bowie did that he never got credit for and it was kind of surreal just how much stuff he's done that I've listened to or heard about over the years but never knew he was part of.

So they went to his reps a couple of times to try to get him to do a voice and never got a response. Doc and Jackson were always hoping that Bowie would sue them so they could actually meet him.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

X_Toad posted:

Excuse me, but John DiMaggio is a consummate professional voice actor and he actually has range. You don't put two characters voiced by Patrick Warburton in the same show, but you can (and they did) do that with John DiMaggio.

DiMaggio is great, but Billy West is the really amazing one. Most people I know have been shocked to learn that Fry, Farnsworth, and Zoidberg were all the same dude.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Duckbag posted:

DiMaggio is great, but Billy West is the really amazing one. Most people I know have been shocked to learn that Fry, Farnsworth, and Zoidberg were all the same dude.

And :nixon:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Duckbag posted:

If you listen to enough Billy West long enough, you can get to recognizing his voice, but he is super-talented. :allears:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Djarum posted:

So they went to his reps a couple of times to try to get him to do a voice and never got a response. Doc and Jackson were always hoping that Bowie would sue them so they could actually meet him.

Aw.

:smith:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Also Maurice Lamarche whose Orson Wells impression (or his Brain impression as I'll always think of it) is so good he won an emmy for it.

Then he won another emmy for playing 6 different characters in one episode.

Can you tell some of them might be the same actor? Maybe.

Should you care? Hell no!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Duckbag posted:

Also Maurice Lamarche whose Orson Wells impression (or his Brain impression as I'll always think of it) is so good he won an emmy for it.

Also brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7ycxiog40

:allears:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Also the VB stream on Adult Swim seems to be on Season 3 now. The single season thing does limit options, but at least we sort of know what we're getting. Hopefully this will help me break the cycle of constantly checking back every few hours just to see if they're playing one I haven't seen in a while.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

prefect posted:

If you listen to enough Billy West long enough, you can get to recognizing his voice, but he is super-talented. :allears:

Yeah, I've gotten to the point lately that I can spot most voice actors, even talented ones that have a wide range of voices. I can't hear an M&M commercial anymore without thinking 'Fry.'

As good as Billy West is, the top spot has to go to Frank Welker. The man is a goddamn wizard.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bull3964 posted:

As good as Billy West is, the top spot has to go to Frank Welker. The man is a goddamn wizard.

I think Billy has said the same thing about Welker. I remember reading something about it in the context of Nibbler. (He does both Nibbler voices!)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Welker has his own private jet that he flies in the left-hand seat. That's how you know you're on top.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Hank Azaria is one of those guys where you can tell it's him, but who cares?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

This is another intersection between the two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uWW--w4SRs

It was also so good they used it to dub Vincent D'Onofrio in Ed Wood

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 11, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Pick posted:

That's depressing as hell.

Oh god, I secretly hoped he'd voice one day with the show even though it'd never happen. This sucks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

prefect posted:

I think Billy has said the same thing about Welker. I remember reading something about it in the context of Nibbler. (He does both Nibbler voices!)

I can't remember if it is Welker or Lamarche, but one of them did a character whose voice was then pitched down electronically. When the character came back in the later episode, the voice actor went and listened to the episode to refamiliarize themselves with the voice, didn't know about the electronic manipulation and adjusted their voice naturally to do the same thing because they assumed they'd done that the last time :stare:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think that was actually Billy West. He also voiced that one space amoeba thing that sounds like it has two voices. He did it in one take with no effects. There's a video where he talks about doing his popeye voice. It has two different components to it at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cojawfee posted:

I think that was actually Billy West. He also voiced that one space amoeba thing that sounds like it has two voices. He did it in one take with no effects.

He used to do the "two voice" thing when he was goofing on Jackie the Joke Man back on the Howard Stern show. :allears: