Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PenguinKnight posted:

Pelswick? Yes, yes I do remember that show. Good god that was a really bad one.

Even when i was 12 I remember watching it and feeling like it was heavy-handed pandering nonsense, tumblr before tumblr was invented

I wonder how it'd do now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

PenguinKnight posted:

The rear end-ugly aesthetics only worked in Aaahh! Real Monsters and Duckman. Every other show by them is the most visually unpleasant goddamn thing.

oh right, duckman.
Yknow, there's far more of a precedent to bring back duckman now that futurama and family guy reanimated themselves successfully. And now they won't be able too if this poo poo doesn't work (Like... not even seeing if the hey arnold thing works out before reviving another one?)

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
My god I have never wanted to beat up a show's premise so hard for being so dweeb-y.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Honestly, of the shows from Nick 90s that I can think would do well today, only Catdog really comes to mind. The whole black humor and not fitting in a large and strange but lonely world still rings eternally. However, that also wrapped itself up neatly and I wouldn't want to dredge that up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

By catdog you mean rockos modern life right

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've watched one or two episodes of that. Like the wacky deli one.
It'd work out very well among the likes of things like regular show and adventure time

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I feel like The Angry Beavers is timeless enough that it'd go over well today.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Toxxupation posted:

Rocko is inextricably tied to the 90s. I think any attempt at a reboot might actually destroy the fabric of spacetime.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Too tightly tied with gross out. Gross out cartoons died with the 90s and the world is a better place now because of that.

Pakled posted:

Also, this show would be infinitely more popular with the Regular Show type viewers.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Was there any other kids' show that had a joke about Scientology? Rocko's Modern Life is the only one that comes to mind.

Hey Arnold might work.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pakled posted:

Yeah it would, in fact I think I remember seeing something where someone analyzed the Netflix statistics for a bunch of Nick's shows when they were still on there, and Angry Beavers had the highest ratings besides SpongeBob, Rugrats, Avatar, and Danny Phantom, I remember my little sister watching a bunch of it and finding it hilarious

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PenguinKnight posted:

Pelswick? Yes, yes I do remember that show. Good god that was a really bad one.

Oh was this the one with the guardian angel who was also in a wheelchair?

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Toxxupation posted:

Even when i was 12 I remember watching it and feeling like it was heavy-handed pandering nonsense, tumblr before tumblr was invented

I wonder how it'd do now

To be perfectly fair to the guy, the creator's entire deal was that he became a quadriplegic after being involved in a car accident and took up animation as a form of personal therapy, with a heavy emphasis on characters with disabilities. That's not to say anything of the actual quality of the guy's work (I've never personally seen Pelswick, but I remember his adult series Quads being pretty...not great), but given the context, I can understand and sympathize with it existing in the way it did.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It also probably meant a helluva lot to, you know, some kids in wheelchairs.

The way the word "pandering" is thrown around makes me... uneasy.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yeah the thing is people who are disabled or who will like you for throwing a bone for the disabled are not a huge crowd, so yeah pandering is the wrong word because what was the last show that was actually successful that way, especially with that tiny a crowd. They've all but stopped making those kinds of characters in shows, really.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

PicklePants posted:

Rocket Power should stay dead. Forever.

Listen to this loving shoobie

(i agree)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Y-Hat posted:

Was there any other kids' show that had a joke about Scientology? Rocko's Modern Life is the only one that comes to mind.

I think Animaniacs did, I recall a joke about "diuretics."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Acne Rain posted:

Yeah the thing is people who are disabled or who will like you for throwing a bone for the disabled are not a huge crowd, so yeah pandering is the wrong word because what was the last show that was actually successful that way, especially with that tiny a crowd. They've all but stopped making those kinds of characters in shows, really.

And we're worse off for it, I feel - or, rather, fear. Disability, especially disability that starts in childhood/adolescence after an able-bodied early life, is insanely miserably rough for a kid, and even the background radiation of the Burger King Kid's Club (or, more fun, the Extreme Ghostbusters) could help normalize that.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I can't remember if I like the show or not but Pelswick had some pretty ugly character designs.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

I can't remember if I like the show or not but Pelswick had some pretty ugly character designs.

Once again

Trash Boat posted:

To be perfectly fair to the guy, the creator's entire deal was that he became a quadriplegic after being involved in a car accident and took up animation as a form of personal therapy

Like, looking it up, the guy drew with a pen held between both his hands. It's honestly impressive it looked as coherent as it did.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
IIRC As Told By Ginger was pretty popular with girls at a time when everything else animated on Nick was aimed at boys. A friend on Facebook was gushing about the reboot and said that as a kid one thing she liked about the show was that it was the only cartoon where the main character actually had different outfits from episode to episode.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

axleblaze posted:

Once again

Like, looking it up, the guy drew with a pen held between both his hands. It's honestly impressive it looked as coherent as it did.

Ok. What's the reason behind klasky csupo's designs?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That I can't help you with

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sleeveless posted:

IIRC As Told By Ginger was pretty popular with girls at a time when everything else animated on Nick was aimed at boys. A friend on Facebook was gushing about the reboot and said that as a kid one thing she liked about the show was that it was the only cartoon where the main character actually had different outfits from episode to episode.

Sleeveless posted:

I believe there were even instances of them buying new clothes and wearing them in later episodes. It had some nice touches. The only other half-decent female centric cartoon of the era I can think of is Pepper Ann (which owned)

As far as diversity in cartoons, there's sometimes where I'd call it design-by-committee "diversity is in this season" diversity (Magic School Bus, BK Kids Club) and there's times where there's diversity and it's not just arbitrary. Hey Arnold is really good about having their diverse characters have meaningful backgrounds and actually showing off what a diverse crowd looks like, like Harold is Jewish and everyone learns about that and it sort of continues to be a theme throughout. Contrast to Phoebe, the Asian character, who doesn't have some big established Asian immigration background, she's second or third generation and she's just some girl from Iowa. Compare to Mr Hyunh, who managed to get his daughter out of war-torn Vietnam. Grandma, Monkey Man, Pigeon Man, Stoop Kid and Chocolate Bly are all very different (and very real) portrayals of various mental and social disorders, and they're all (to a degree, it's still a kids show) treated with the gravity they deserve.

I understand that representation of minorities/people with disabilities/etc is important, but (especially in the 90s) it seems like it often came from obligations and not because the creators wanted to be inclusive.

Hey Arnold was the releast poo poo is what I'm saying.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 11, 2016

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Other nice things about As Told By Ginger, sort of single parent family.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DoctorWhat posted:

It also probably meant a helluva lot to, you know, some kids in wheelchairs.

The way the word "pandering" is thrown around makes me... uneasy.

if the main appeal or differentiation point of an otherwise totally conventional or formulaic program is that a main/character is somehow special in some way then yes, that's totally pandering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fxls1XrcJc

like, that? that's transgender pandering. and really ineptly done transgender pandering, involving dialog and human interactions that only the GI Joe PSA-est unperson would say

you don't treat the person (in the above example, the transgender person) as a person with a distinct set of goals, positive (and, most importantly, negative) character traits, a set worldview....no, it's all just meant to be this barely-there sheen to advance transgender representation. it doesn't honor or respect the universe established. it's, again, the tumblr version of progressiveness, thinking that all one has to do is check a box and yell about minorities for a while and they're by-default advancing a cause

to contrast, you can look at some like Transparent, which nobody sane would accuse of pandering. mostly cause the main character is clearly part of this universe and her gender identity, while being a big influence on her outlook, doesn't solely define her. also, the show's totally willing to point out how lovely of a parent she is and was, and even if that was informed by her gender identity issues doesn't excuse them. it's fair. she's not just The Trans Struggle, the character

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I can agree that the word pandering is sometime used in an uncomfortable way. I'm sure most people don't mean it but there's often the implication that people should be okay with being quietly loathed/ostracized. Like I'd rather a give a kid a corny message than that.

Sockser posted:

True. Though back on the topic of reboots it never struck me as a series that needed a big ending to finish everything.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 11, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sockser posted:

I believe there were even instances of them buying new clothes and wearing them in later episodes. It had some nice touches. The only other half-decent female centric cartoon of the era I can think of is Pepper Ann (which owned)

As far as diversity in cartoons, there's sometimes where I'd call it design-by-committee "diversity is in this season" diversity (Magic School Bus, BK Kids Club) and there's times where there's diversity and it's not just arbitrary. Hey Arnold is really good about having their diverse characters have meaningful backgrounds and actually showing off what a diverse crowd looks like, like Harold is Jewish and everyone learns about that and it sort of continues to be a theme throughout. Contrast to Phoebe, the Asian character, who doesn't have some big established Asian immigration background, she's second or third generation and she's just some girl from Iowa. Compare to Mr Hyunh, who managed to get his daughter out of war-torn Vietnam. Grandma, Monkey Man, Pigeon Man, Stoop Kid and Chocolate Bly are all very different (and very real) portrayals of various mental and social disorders, and they're all (to a degree, it's still a kids show) treated with the gravity they deserve.

I understand that representation of minorities/people with disabilities/etc is important, but (especially in the 90s) it seems like it often came from obligations and not because the creators wanted to be inclusive.

From what I remember Braceface was also pretty decent for a late 90's female centric cartoon

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Maybe some people are actually a little under-pandered?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Pandering is totally fine, regardless of creator intent if the work itself portrays the character as positive (or at the very least, as long as it doesn't portray their minority status as a negative) . It's still cathartic to see "one of your own" on TV or in movies or whatever. The problem is when when representation stops at that level.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Pelswick's creator was a paraplegic and the character was something he doodled for years after his accident.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yes thank you.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lady Naga posted:

Pandering is totally fine, regardless of creator intent if the work itself portrays the character as positive (or at the very least, as long as it doesn't portray their minority status as a negative) . It's still cathartic to see "one of your own" on TV or in movies or whatever. The problem is when when representation stops at that level.

I dunno if that's even true

Cornel West warns constantly against "Santa Clausification" of specific black visionaries and heroes, remembering them solely as mythical figures over actual living and breathing human beings, forgetting that people like MLK Jr. and Mandela made constant, human failures in their advancement of an ultimately beatific goal. you can easily expand that out to other oppressed minorities; cooking figures down to their gimmicks is tokenism in the other direction but just as harmful. it reduces civil rights and progressivism into a checklist and removes the essential context necessary to internalize a greater concept

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

All this talk makes me realize just how once in a lifetime of a cartoon Hey Arnold was. Have we really had anything quite like that targeted directly at kids since? That show really covered a lot of walks of life without really ever glorifying anyone.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Toxxupation posted:

I dunno if that's even true

Cornel West warns constantly against "Santa Clausification" of specific black visionaries and heroes, remembering them solely as mythical figures over actual living and breathing human beings, forgetting that people like MLK Jr. and Mandela made constant, human failures in their advancement of an ultimately beatific goal. you can easily expand that out to other oppressed minorities; cooking figures down to their gimmicks is tokenism in the other direction but just as harmful. it reduces civil rights and progressivism into a checklist and removes the essential context necessary to internalize a greater concept

I definitely can see how it's different for other minorities who've had a much longer history of representation. All I can really offer is my own perspective, and as a transperson my representation is at the point where I'm just happy we exist and aren't the butt of a joke.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think it's worth remembering from a kid's perspective (since this is the kids show thread and all). Children really do form attachments (enough to call something "My Favorite X!") based on pretty simple traits like "is the strongest" or "is a girl".

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
It's weird they're bringing back As Told By Ginger since it had a definite ending. She ended up marrying the black kid which was surprising to me.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's unfortunate that now that the TV networks have figured out that The Millenials like anime, they're dredging up all these lovely 90s shows instead of continuing to pass control to the new generation of animators like Rebecca Sugar and company

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

icantfindaname posted:

It's unfortunate that now that the TV networks have figured out that The Millenials like anime, they're dredging up all these lovely 90s shows instead of continuing to pass control to the new generation of animators like Rebecca Sugar and company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Canceled, also not a new animator but dredged up from the early 2000s anime boom. I guess it gets half credit