Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

blowfish posted:

yeah

why does anything other than vlc even exist, it suits all dvd, video and audio needs

i know this hurts but...pagancow isn't coming back, dude.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Clementine works great for me on lunix and wintendo :shrug:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i know this hurts but...pagancow isn't coming back, dude.

vlc! vlc! vlc!

:qq:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
why are these people listening to music on their servers and workstations? don't they have phones?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
props to Mozilla for not putting their name on that hosed up retarded ice weasel

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tankakern posted:

foobar2k in wine was also suggested, that works surprisingly well

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
if i couldn't use the world's most advanced desktop OS, Mac OS X El Capitan, i'd probably live a joyless life without music

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i got my wifes old iphone 5 recently and mostly just use it as a better dumbphone, with the exceptions of a SSH client and a app that tracks the buses where i live

still take a old ipod nano to the gym because 1] amarok cant copy music/videos to new ios (not sure any linux software can), 2] an iphone wants to be controlled by exactly one installation of itunes, cant just say "copy this album to phone", have to completely sync it which wipes anything a different itunes put on the phone

oh also a ipod nano is physically more convenient and less valuable so i prefer taking it to work out

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

my lossless fiio player and HD800s suite my needs when im trying to get mad gainz. pop in an sd card, transfer, done.

b0red fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 11, 2016

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
cool pics bro, sw8 stone shelfing

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

did anyone every fork xmms when they stopped updating it 10 years ago? that was a nice player since it was just a carbon copy of winamp.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Lysidas posted:

cool pics bro, sw8 stone shelfing

i see you 'mirin my racks in the back

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The_Franz posted:

did anyone every fork xmms when they stopped updating it 10 years ago? that was a nice player since it was just a carbon copy of winamp.

as i said, audacious. remember to choose the classic interface.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

b0red posted:

my lossless fiio player and HD800s suite my needs when im trying to get mad gainz. pop in an sd card, transfer, done.

cool stereo. cool skull. i'd work out there

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
realposting for a sec is there any compelling advantage to xen over qemu+kvm these days

pram
Jun 10, 2001

b0red posted:

incredibly epic

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

b0red posted:

rock music

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

b0red posted:

is that a SGI 1600SW???

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Mr Dog posted:

realposting for a sec is there any compelling advantage to xen over qemu+kvm these days

No, just use qemu+kvm if it works unless you really specifically need xen for a specific feature.

Do you need paravirtualization because you don't have hardware assisted virtualization? Extra security via labeled domains? There are other niche reasons to do so, but none that overwhelmingly beats qemu+kvm despite the extra work behind having to deal with Domain 0.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

"dear debian please add a checkbox during the install that says 'install common programs with update schedules set by their own vendors and not by the debian community'" which 80% of users will check out of habit, 19% of users will check because well who cares and 1% of users will find appalling because it is just philosophically wrong

those 1% of users are the ones who actually participate in debian's democracy and guide the project. mozilla is unwilling to cooperate, ergo debian ships an unbranded version. that's life.

i know it just frustrates the hell out of you that someone else might value something other than shoving brands into your faceholes as fast as possible

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
id just like to say that linuxes are really bad, and i never wnat to janitor them ever again. i decided i wanted to try some cloud stuff and spent like an hour attempting basic rear end poo poo. absolutely nothing worked correctly

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

id just like to say that linuxes are really bad, and i never wnat to janitor them ever again. i decided i wanted to try some cloud stuff and spent like an hour attempting basic rear end poo poo. absolutely nothing worked correctly

holding it wrong

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

are you sure you're not just bad at linux ?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Haquer posted:

are you sure you're not just bad at linux ?

this is true.. and yet, so is this..

id just like to say that linuxes are really bad

the enigma of linux

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
After reading some blog post where all of KDE/Plasma 5's major failings were blamed on distros sucking at getting bug fixes to users, I did some research on the alternatives to get current version packages and found myself installing Gentoo in a Hyper-V VM to screw around.

Since apparently ityool 2016 they don't believe in scripted installers lest you foolishly expect to just pick some packages and step away without watching the compiler output and lots of little details are busted like dependencies and their default "same as the live CD" kernel config actually not being the same (it was very conveniently missing all the Hyper-V drivers), it only took me a week or so of 15-60 minutes per night to complete the install.

The funny thing is that the end result in a VM actually is far more responsive than the native KDE5 I'm using on a Debian stretch dev PC...

I didn't even unroll the loops!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

James Baud posted:

After reading some blog post where all of KDE/Plasma 5's major failings were blamed on distros sucking at getting bug fixes to users, I did some research on the alternatives to get current version packages and found myself installing Gentoo in a Hyper-V VM to screw around.

Since apparently ityool 2016 they don't believe in scripted installers lest you foolishly expect to just pick some packages and step away without watching the compiler output and lots of little details are busted like dependencies and their default "same as the live CD" kernel config actually not being the same (it was very conveniently missing all the Hyper-V drivers), it only took me a week or so of 15-60 minutes per night to complete the install.

The funny thing is that the end result in a VM actually is far more responsive than the native KDE5 I'm using on a Debian stretch dev PC...

Good job.

The distro you appear to be looking for is Arch, not Gentoo, btw.

There is a case to be made for not having an installer. Probably not that good a case, but a case nonetheless. The case being that you already have tools for partitioning your disk, installing software packages, and configuring a bootloader, so why create a second crippled set of tools you only ever use once.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Dog posted:

The distro you appear to be looking for is Arch, not Gentoo, btw.

There is a case to be made for not having an installer. Probably not that good a case, but a case nonetheless. The case being that you already have tools for partitioning your disk, installing software packages, and configuring a bootloader, so why create a second crippled set of tools you only ever use once.

That's once per install, not once ever, unless you make your installation so traumatic that normal people duplicate master images from ten years ago to avoid ever doing it again. (I'm an embedded guy these days, clearly not normal, whatever)

Re: Arch, only maybe. I used Gentoo in the early 2000s and knew by methodology it would give me an environment capable of building KDE stuff from source since I have a few pet issues I want to address now that I've finally given up on GTK-based stuff forever. Arch felt like more learning and less of a sure thing.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Kubuntu is the best kde distro

e: gently caress linux Steam, its so terrible, id rather use wine

theultimo fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 13, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

my favorite thing about this is using a tripod to take a mirror selfie

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i like how

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

James Baud posted:

Nice! Posting this from Plasma 5 on Gentoo too, works nicely. With systemd too!

My biggest irk with Plasma 5 were that the keychain didn't unlock when you logged in, making you type your password twice. That's fixed now, but you have to install a PAM module and put the right line in /etc/pam.d/sddm ...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

installing the latest NetBSD was very reminiscent of installing the last SunOS, and they both had installers

not nice graphical installers like the Mac or NeXT, but they still had installers that walked through all necessary steps

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

James Baud posted:

I've finally given up on GTK-based stuff forever

just stick with Athena widgets

or if you really must, Xview

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wheany posted:

i like how

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
using the dev version of kubuntu 16.04 on my laptop and stable 15.10 on my work desktop

rly good, but the big changes havent really hit 16.04 yet, on plasma 5.4.3 instead of 5.4.2 in kubuntu 15.10

though there is one annoying bug in plasma 5 about wallpaper images being blurry when theyre scaled, that nobody seems to want to fix

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

what are the big changes in 16.04

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
not much yet, but its gonna be a LTS version with plasma/kde 5 and systemd and hopefully omit python 2 from the default install, which are pretty significant compared to 14.04

right now as far as i know/remember the differences are pretty minor, just version bumps in gcc (5.2 -> 5.3), kernel (4.2 -> 4.3), plasma libs (5.4.2 -> 5.4.3), but stuff should ramp up pretty soon and this point before a release is when running 'aptitude full-upgrade' might replace half your system at some point (like when plasma 5.5 or 5.6 is packaged)

the differnces from 15.10 arent huge and might not be even at time of release, which is how a LTS version is supposed to work: make the big changes like switching init systems in the intermediate releases and polish those for LTS versions

kubuntu 15.10 -> 16.04 might not be a big difference but compared to 14.04 a lot will have changed

e: oh python 3.5 is the default python 3 in 16.04, 3.4 was still the default in 15.10 but you could apt-get install it

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

eschaton posted:

what are the big changes in 16.04

Mir supposedly