Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Drinking at Oriole today and SOFUCKINGEXCITED!

We want something relatively quick/cheap but delicious near Farringdon and were thinking about Apulia. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

angor posted:

Drinking at Oriole today and SOFUCKINGEXCITED!

We want something relatively quick/cheap but delicious near Farringdon and were thinking about Apulia. Thoughts?

Oh a friend of mine is playing there tomorrow and I'm planning on going along. Let me know what it's like!

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Hey guys,

Does anyone have a good recommendation for where to eat near South Kensington station? No particular style, the guy I'm going with loves all food.

Fernandez and wells does OK stuff though a bit pretentious. There's a Franco manca near there too for pizza, Hawksmoor Knightsbridge if you want to splash out. Jia on Harrington road does decent Chinese food too.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

sweek0 posted:

Oh a friend of mine is playing there tomorrow and I'm planning on going along. Let me know what it's like!

Oriole was fantastic. I like the atmosphere there more than Nightjar. Feels a little more relaxed and open which is nice. Drinks and service are both excellent. The sharing cocktails say they serve 4-6 but we got 10 drinks out of each one we ordered which was really nice.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

angor posted:

Oriole was fantastic. I like the atmosphere there more than Nightjar. Feels a little more relaxed and open which is nice. Drinks and service are both excellent. The sharing cocktails say they serve 4-6 but we got 10 drinks out of each one we ordered which was really nice.

Alright, thanks! :) Am really looking forward to it. What drinks did you have and what stood out for you?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Mmm, Oriole was alright but not great. They didn't have a sound engineer which didn't help the band, and the service just wasn't good, at all. They did eventually give us a free round in return for the fact that they had messed up three of our 9 drinks in total. I was surprised because when we talked to the waiter, she said she's been working at Nightjar for five years.

Cocktails themselves were good. I forgot all the names but we had one spectacular sharing one with dry ice which was a lot of fun, and the whisky and tobacco liquor one I had really stood out as well. Just gonna say that I do prefer Merchant House if you're looking for that kind of atmosphere, where the staff really know their stuff.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Honourable mention has to go to The Chester in Oxford. I am staying out here with my sister and we had the most epic Christmas Eve lunch; a gigantic platter piled up with steak, bubble & squeak, chips, and salad. Seriously good. I imagine some of you let get out here from time to time.

Also it's really close to Oli's Thai which is rightfully getting a lot of attention at the moment because that is seriously good food. Booked out several months ahead though.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Can anyone recommend good places for lunch at equivalent price range to EAT pret or similar but is more interesting?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
...what area?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I'll try and steer them, but somewhere accessible from Waterloo by walking ideally?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Maybe Wasabi..?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Pret's other brand, Itsu, is pretty drat good for a more interesting yet still alright-priced lunch.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

Pret's other brand, Itsu, is pretty drat good for a more interesting yet still alright-priced lunch.

Pret owns Itsu? Didn't know that but not that surprised. I used to like their vegetable gyozo (gyoza?) hot pot but they changed it and I like it no more.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
There's the Wahaca street food stand by the Southbank Centre which is only a short distance from Waterloo. In my experience getting a decent lunch at Eat/Pret/Wasabi/Itsu tends to add up quickly to about the same kind of price as a burrito.

Edit: Also a street food market at the back of the Royal Festival Hall but I don't know what days it is open.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've been annoyed at Wasabi since they changed their bento lunch special from 2 meat dishes with rice/noodles for £5.45 to only 1.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Out of those chains I like POD and Itsu the most I think. POD's really quite good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Has anybody had to look for low-carb options in central London? My options seem limited to:

Chipotle - bowls are pretty good and substantial, and their website has a nutrition calculator
Five Guys - bunless option, again tasty and a good amount of veg
Tortilla, which I'm eatting right now and really isn't as good as Chipotle
Herman Ze German do a sausage and salad meal advertised as low/zero carb
Pret have maybe two salads with low carbs

Are any of the salad places like Pure worth trying as opposed to getting salad and meat from M&S or Tesco? Even that seems pretty limited , so many of the salads are bulked out with pasta.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Again POD and Itsu for that kind of stuff. Out of the salad places I quite like Tossed. I've tried 5 Guys' bunless option and thought it was pretty awful. Wrapping a burger in bland icecold lettuce leaves... ugh. GBK's bunless options are much better.

Also Tortilla is better than Chipotle.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chilango do a salad version of their burritos that's really good. Just, you know, £6-7 a pop.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I thought Itsu was mostly fairly high carb, all rice dished and noodles?

What's a good order from Tortilla because I just had a chicken bowl and it seemed small and tame compared to the same thing for about the same price at Chipotle.

With Five Guys I've been taking the bowl option, don't know if that's better, wrapped in lettuce never appealed to me. So you get a bed of onions and green pepper, good amount of lettuce if you want it, hot sauce on the meat, I like it.

I'll try Chilango, I think there's a new one near here, and Benito's Hat who I don;t think do online orders. And I've seen I think GBK or Honest burgers bunless options recommended before.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Chipotle - bowls are pretty good and substantial, and their website has a nutrition calculator

Also comes with added E. coli and norovirus...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

tentish klown posted:

Also comes with added E. coli and norovirus...

Only in the States, thankfully.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

BizarroAzrael posted:

I thought Itsu was mostly fairly high carb, all rice dished and noodles?
They've got a number of dishes without rice. They've got a chicken and avocado dish, a poaches salmon one and a tuna salad that are all pretty good and low carb. Plus the sushi (and sashimi obviously) is relatively low carb.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The best part about the Five Guys bunless burger is that it's carb free, but it feels like cheating, even with bacon and cheese.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I miss working near an Abokado for lunch options. The salmon teriyaki rice edamame salad was the best.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone been to Fera, Simon Rogan's restaurant? Is it worth the not-inconsiderable cost?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

peanut- posted:

Anyone been to Fera, Simon Rogan's restaurant? Is it worth the not-inconsiderable cost?

No but we went to Roganic when it was open and it was pretty amazing.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Quite impressed with Leon at the wharf. Was getting bored of Eat and Birley.

Nice lamb kofte wrap lunch and very decent banana cinnamon porridge breakfast.

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

ineptmule posted:

Edit: Also a street food market at the back of the Royal Festival Hall but I don't know what days it is open.

Its open Fridays (and the weekend - but what the hell are you doing in Southbank at the weekend, Londoner!)

In the other direction, Cubana does a decent Cuban street food lunch which is around the same price as an EAT.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

Quite impressed with Leon at the wharf. Was getting bored of Eat and Birley.

Nice lamb kofte wrap lunch and very decent banana cinnamon porridge breakfast.

Do you work on the wharf? I'm there Monday to Friday. Found any other decent places?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Onion Rings posted:

Do you work on the wharf? I'm there Monday to Friday. Found any other decent places?

Aye, I do.

Hazev at South Quay, amazing turkish food.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'll try Chilango, I think there's a new one near here, and Benito's Hat who I don;t think do online orders. And I've seen I think GBK or Honest burgers bunless options recommended before.
Go to Chilango and order a salad with a side of all the other meats... and cheese.

And then hate yourself.

Also, Nandos is another option for low-carb. Can't go wrong with a whole chicken.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm waiting for the Brewer Street one to open. Happy enough with Chipotle even though I have no idea how so many carbs get into guacamole.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I went to The Delaunay on Sunday night and it was very good, would recommend. I'd also suggest putting Zedel on the map as well (if anyone still maintains it) since its very much in a similar vein although a bit cheaper and not quite as fancy. Still its a pro place to take someone on a date, or someone who is visiting from out of town.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Zedel is a proper gem imo, it's one of the best places in the city. Lovely space, nice atmosphere, cheap but decent food and you can usually just walk in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I see Murakami on St. Martin's Lane has closed already, just as I went to try it for the first time. :argh:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

peanut- posted:

Zedel is a proper gem imo, it's one of the best places in the city. Lovely space, nice atmosphere, cheap but decent food and you can usually just walk in.

:facepalm: I walked past that nearly every day for the last 4 years and always assumed it was just another tatty chain.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Horse Clocks posted:

:facepalm: I walked past that nearly every day for the last 4 years and always assumed it was just another tatty chain.

I was really hoping I could keep that quiet...

Yeah, it's great down there and easily missed, I've taken dates to Bar Americain for cocktails and had a great time. People just think it's a little coffee shop or something walking past. Not eaten in the Brasserie yet though.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Apparently you need to keep an eye on your bill as lots of random poo poo you didn't order get tends to get put on it.

Brand New Malaysian Wife fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Apparently you need to keep an eye on your bill as lots of random poo poo you didn't order or get tends to get put on it.

I've been a ton of times and so has my family and no one has ever had this problem