Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Dapper Dan posted:

The problem is that the 'WWII pilots in space' was done with Star Wars and the ships had that gritty, WWII sort of feel. There's nothing of the sort with Star Citizen. Its all sleek and nice and clean sci-fi without any real sense of style. Along with the uniforms and whatever.

I guess you can interpret the visual appeal as 'everything for everyone' that most people would just be not offended by and it just be kind of there, but it really sucks any sort of life or character out of the universe. Its like the anonymous letters that had Chris completely not understanding art or design and I believe it. I think he is just a retarded autistic who thinks he is a visionary and the art people have basically just given up trying to challenge him and just do whatever.

I think you're right, the ships in Star Citizen are graphically impressive while at the same time they seem to be lacking any actual character - which is pretty much something that you can say for the whole game itself.

As you alluded to, Star Wars ships look like Star Wars ships. Or if you see something from Star Trek, you can generally recognize it as belonging to that show.

Star Citizen, on the other hand, seems to be made up a collection of random styles that mimic generic space-stuff without actually doing anything new or exciting, there is no real hook for the setting or the visuals.

This design attitude carries over into the game itself. Star Citizen is supposedly some kind of weird WW2/Rome hybrid of a setting, but nothing really evokes that, and nothing so far in the game stands out as being special.

I mean, you can look at a game like EVE, with the whole PC as a immortal capsuleer thing - it is actually a rather unique thing about EVE and it really goes to explain why the game mechanics in that game work as they do. Or you can watch a new show like The Expanse, and see odd little details like the people on a ship strapping into a chair and getting injected with some kind of bio-fluid to allow them to survive hard G turns - that kind of stuff stands out and helps to define a setting.

With Star Citizen, we have generic Crysis-mod mans jumping into jet-fighter looking spacecraft and flying to generic rotating space stations that look like something off of an old, generic scifi book.

Just embracing one of Robert's generic design goals to a degree of almost-silliness would at least make the game more interesting. Imagine if:

1. Star Citizen embraced WW2 stylings, with retro-looking uniforms, a plethora of bombastic propaganda everywhere you looked, ships that generally behaved like space-planes with no shields and machine guns to attack each other with, giant carriers with flight decks that hang in the back while battleships that acted out submarine-style warfare against each other, and a collection of enemies and allies who aligned themselves into teams even though their ideals don't quite match up.

-or-

2. Star Citizen embraced the Roman aesthetic, and pilots and military had futuristic roman-style armor, called each other dumb names like legionnaire or centurion, infantry had titanium-laced shields to use during phalanx maneuvers as they advanced to beat down space-barbarians with their electro-swords, and a mad Emperor wanted to expand the reach of the human species by subjugating alien races to the throne as Earth itself fell into decadent ruin.

Either scenario might be a bit silly, a bit pulpy, a bit over the top, but at least it would produce something as being recognizable as Star Citizen, as opposed to what CIg has now, which is basically a really fancy looking Crysis mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Star Citizen: Oh, no, a shark

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639730&pagenumber=289&perpage=40#post437046958

quote:

Star Citizen can't crash and burn at this point, even if it released right this moment, they could slap together multiship crew play and double precision and we'd still have the game that was originally promised pretty much.
SC_Druggie, Halloween 2014.

imperialparadox posted:

a mad Emperor wanted to expand the reach of the human species by subjugating alien races to the throne as Earth itself fell into decadent ruin.

'Nemesis the warlock' was kinda along those lines, although the aesthetic is more spanish inquisition with a minor in racial purity, something that went into the cultural blender called 'Games Workshop' and came out smelling 40K.

That's Tomas de Torquemada, the head of the earth empire, a quasi-religious state that was genociding it's way through alien species.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 11, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

imperialparadox posted:

Star Citizen embraced the Roman aesthetic, and pilots and military had futuristic roman-style armor, called each other dumb names like legionnaire or centurion, infantry had titanium-laced shields to use during phalanx maneuvers as they advanced to beat down space-barbarians with their electro-swords, and a mad Emperor wanted to expand the reach of the human species by subjugating alien races to the throne as Earth itself fell into decadent ruin.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Mirificus posted:

Some even want it to be the last game they play for the rest of their lives.

Yeah.. i remember seeing a few screen grabs of that. It makes me sad.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Big trouble in little china, then zombieland, then dredd, then crank :smuggo: checkmate

*instantly banned*

Id switch Dredd and Zombieland, and then get rid of Crank.

Big Trouble in Little China is an epicly amazingly awesome movie. None of my friends have seen it and trying to convince them to watch it has been hard as hell :(

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Zombie Squared posted:

Haha. Derek is just like a persian rug.

He's a complex weave understood by few women, and fewer men.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

imperialparadox posted:

Just embracing one of Robert's generic design goals to a degree of almost-silliness would at least make the game more interesting. Imagine if:

1. Star Citizen embraced WW2 stylings, with retro-looking uniforms, a plethora of bombastic propaganda everywhere you looked, ships that generally behaved like space-planes with no shields and machine guns to attack each other with, giant carriers with flight decks that hang in the back while battleships that acted out submarine-style warfare against each other, and a collection of enemies and allies who aligned themselves into teams even though their ideals don't quite match up.
…or 1a. It embraced a Pulp-WW1/Crimson Skies æsthetic, with space blimps carrying underslung space-biplanes, flying between vast sky cities and fighting an ever-war of pitched trench battles.

grimcreaper posted:

Big Trouble in Little China is an epicly amazingly awesome movie. None of my friends have seen it and trying to convince them to watch it has been hard as hell :(

BTiLC is brilliant in how it completely reverses the heroic storytelling: how good american hero Jack Burton turns out to be the bumbling comedic sidekick to the vastly more informed and competent Wang Chi, even though everything in the movie is set up to allow the normal dynamic between the two.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 11, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

imperialparadox posted:

2. Star Citizen embraced the Roman aesthetic, and pilots and military had futuristic roman-style armor, called each other dumb names like legionnaire or centurion, infantry had titanium-laced shields to use during phalanx maneuvers as they advanced to beat down space-barbarians with their electro-swords, and a mad Emperor wanted to expand the reach of the human species by subjugating alien races to the throne as Earth itself fell into decadent ruin.

SPACEQUITES!

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Adventure Pigeon posted:

If this project has proven anything, it's that no amount of money can fix bad management and overinflated egos.

Yup, really. Like, when Stanley Kubrick asked for a thousand takes of a guy picking up a phone you know he was an insane genius and everyone was like 'Alright, this is crazy and I might be going crazy, but its Stanley loving Kubrick, we're making art' and you can power through it.

Now imagine doing this for Chris Roberts by redoing shoelaces for the fiftieth time or scoring a scene for the thirtieth and not putting a bullet through his head and then your own. There has to be like a Chris Roberts tax for working at CIG, because you couldn't pay talented people enough to deal with that poo poo and they sure as poo poo could get better jobs.

Tippis posted:

In my experience, many think they do riiight up until the point where they get what they're asking for. Then they quickly notice that it's horrible and takes too long and just gets in the way of any actual semblance of gameplay and fun.

I can't remember, but there was one game I played that billed itself as super realistic and it was completely insufferable, un-fun garbage I played it for ten minutes before uninstalling and never touching it again. And this has been every super-realistic game I remember.

grimcreaper posted:

Thats the weird thing with Star Citizen. Every time Croberts talks about stuff, people eat it up. Then you have hundreds of posts on the CiG forums talking about how "You need slowboat style 4 second animations to get in and out of chairs! No one should be able to run inside stations!" as examples.

And then you have the CiG-given example of "When you have passangers on your ship, you have to MANUALLY change out the Video they are watching!"

I legitimately believe these people DO want true 100% life-to-game immersion. They seem to want the most tedious, bullshit, boring things to be a part of their "immersion" simply to escape into the "Verse.

I have been trying to wrap my head around some of the posts ive read on the RSI forums and the only thing ive come out of it with is a headache. They somehow think their Space Immersion(TM) will last a minimum of 10 years. Some are even claiming it will be The ONLY game they will play for DECADES!

Because these people don't understand what immersion actually is. 'Immersion' is playing Crusader Kings, realizing you just spent six hours intriguing and murdering and plotting your way to an Emperor title. Its getting so invested in a story you get chills up your spine and forget about the world around you. Its the phenomenon on 'one more turn' in Civ or other turn based games. Its playing a team game and cooperating with other people, pulling off a win that would have been impossible by yourself.

It is not 30 second ladder animations, it is not 'No running in the halls!', it isn't manually changing a video that your NPC passengers are watching. Its why I don't think Chris Roberts or even anyone at the CIG forums actually understands what it means to be immersed in something, because all the things they promise are boring, unappealing poo poo. Are these the most unimaginative, banal people ever? Like, who gives a gently caress about realistic immersion and ten hour animations, I want that feeling in 'The Witcher' where I am the best dad ever or coordinating some heinous thievery with my friends to ruin the day of some rear end in a top hat in a game.

And what is laughable is that the shallow, realistic immersive experiences aren't something that is going to sustain a game for two months before they get stale, let alone ten years, but the other stuff I mentioned are why people remember games fondly and still play them to this day

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Bootcha posted:

You do realize that nearly all of us have no musical tone or pitch control?

Unless you're doing some weird/awesome like juggling cats or recording yourself on the bench of a courtroom.

That's true. My line is absolute garbage, and that was after about six retakes and then finally saying "gently caress it."

Just leave it. It'll be fine. Don't embarrass the rest of us by having the only good line.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bootcha posted:

You do realize that nearly all of us have no musical tone or pitch control?

Unless you're doing some weird/awesome like juggling cats or recording yourself on the bench of a courtroom.

You should just get somebody to do a D_Smart impression at this point.

Maybe ask Chris Roberts?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Tippis posted:

…or 1a. It embraced a Pulp-WW1/Crimson Skies æsthetic, with space blimps carrying underslung space-biplanes, flying between vast sky cities and fighting an ever-war of pitched trench battles.

Crimson Skies owned, I would play Space-Crimson Skies.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Otto Xander posted:

Star Citizen: The Sickening and Heartbreaking Truths of the Fourth Stimpire Cloud Imperium Games

CIG is the forth stimpire manifest

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm gonna immerse my grabby hands deep down into your stretch goal

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

EminusSleepus posted:

I don't know why a lot of people likes Aegis ships when the fact that it is made in China(per lore). now see the quality of the Aegis Retaliator ship lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjSgRu4ORZA

I never tire of these but I don't know how anyone thinks this game will ever be released in the next 1000 years... nothing works and the patches only introduce more hilariously broken content. Then, the ATV admit they have tons of more issues and balancing, and then you have everything Chris promised...

I would quit CIG just thinking about the road ahead.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
In other news.

I need your exploding/ramming ship/buggy videos.

Need them for the Goon-de-yaddas.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bootcha posted:

In other news.

I need your exploding/ramming ship/buggy videos.

Need them for the Goon-de-yaddas.

Neat, I'll film some tonight after class. Then I can claim to have contributed to something.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

imperialparadox posted:

I think you're right, the ships in Star Citizen are graphically impressive while at the same time they seem to be lacking any actual character - which is pretty much something that you can say for the whole game itself.

As you alluded to, Star Wars ships look like Star Wars ships. Or if you see something from Star Trek, you can generally recognize it as belonging to that show.

Star Citizen, on the other hand, seems to be made up a collection of random styles that mimic generic space-stuff without actually doing anything new or exciting, there is no real hook for the setting or the visuals.

This design attitude carries over into the game itself. Star Citizen is supposedly some kind of weird WW2/Rome hybrid of a setting, but nothing really evokes that, and nothing so far in the game stands out as being special.

I mean, you can look at a game like EVE, with the whole PC as a immortal capsuleer thing - it is actually a rather unique thing about EVE and it really goes to explain why the game mechanics in that game work as they do. Or you can watch a new show like The Expanse, and see odd little details like the people on a ship strapping into a chair and getting injected with some kind of bio-fluid to allow them to survive hard G turns - that kind of stuff stands out and helps to define a setting.

With Star Citizen, we have generic Crysis-mod mans jumping into jet-fighter looking spacecraft and flying to generic rotating space stations that look like something off of an old, generic scifi book.

-or-

Either scenario might be a bit silly, a bit pulpy, a bit over the top, but at least it would produce something as being recognizable as Star Citizen, as opposed to what CIg has now, which is basically a really fancy looking Crysis mod.

Yeah, the thing about art design is that they help nail down a thematic purpose as well. You've got the oppressive design of the Empire Ships to convey a sense of power vs. the scrappy, almost improvised weapons of the rebels. In Trek, you've got the soft lines of the Federation ships which impart an almost non-threatening design to the obvious Klingon aggression in the Bird of Prey.

In Star Citizen you've got...the aliens with the spikes and everything else is just clean, grey and generic. There's no real cohesive sense of theme or style. A lot of it is I think what others have been saying, Roberts' constant demands of changing things has sort of sucked the life out of any thematic impact as well as being so inoffensive to appeal to everyone, just letting their imaginations put whatever paint they want on it.

But yeah, you are right. They needed to embrace one or the other to breathe some life into the setting instead of it just being sterile and bland.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Oh boy AT&T just finished creating THE INTERNET in my house so now I'm gonna download my copy of SC and enjoy the depth and immersion of Spaceship Men In Space that only Chris Roberts can produce!!!

I'm so excited that I could fall through the floor

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tippis posted:

Alien: Isolation completely ruined me when it comes to “grey spaceship interior” :(

Granted, their engine was custom built to deliver that old Ridley Scott/Geiger/Ron Cobb visual design, and at ridiculously smooth frame rates pretty much exactly because they didn't feel they could do it any other way (certainly not in CryEngine), but even some of the alpha maps for UT4 manage to pull it off: it's not complicated, because it's just deathmatch maps, but it still manages to look interesting why flying by at high speed.

Is Alien Isolation worth playing? Humble Monthly has it at the mo.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

imperialparadox posted:

Without going "Full Roman" just having a few little touches, like the ships painted martial red with gold highlights and the military dress uniforms having a red cape would be enough. Auxiliairies would be pilots from remote colony of the empire specialized in a certain type of ships or operations. Lanky guy from low G worlds being top recon pilots and burly high-g colonist enjoying flying bombers.

Now that i think of it the lack of central art direction is kind of jarring since only the Aegis line of ships and the racers show any kind of "Identity".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

With all the talk of Dredd and Mad Max, it just made me think of how much cooler Star Citizen would be if it was made like a 1980s, gritty Space Adventure movie instead of boring, clean generic sci-fi. It really doesn't have much of a soul behind it, all it has going for it is that it looks pretty.

I don't really see how anyone can be captivated by it.

It's kinda why I don't like the recent Fallout 4. Instead of being retrofuture, they went way into the retro part of it without forgetting it's supposed to be in the future. I rather see a Fallout-based off 1970s films like The Planet Of The Apes films, A Boy And His Dog or Damnation Alley in addition to 1980s post-apocalypse stuff, from Road Warrior and The Terminator to Parasite and 1990 Bronx Warriors, than continue with this '30s-'40s pastiche that Bethesda has taken the franchise.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Maybe that's why I like the 40k, EVE, and a bunch of other games' ship designs. There's some pretty good variety and "oh that's not a normal ship design with tons of gray panels" look to them.

For example look at No Man's Sky, the art style is pretty different than most other games with bright popping colors that make it look interesting. As opposed to the dark grey & black heavy other space games out there.

Try the Homeworld games. That game was rarely every space vacuum black, with often time have the space battles occuring in blazing nebulas or the remains of a Dyson sphere, with everything brightly colored like tiger-fish and bumblebees.

aleksendr posted:

If we ran a competion to find the best species type for space exploration i'm pretty sure cephalopods would be close to the top. 8 arms with suckers for holds in 0g, body almost nothging but muscles, ability to sqeeze in almost any opening larger than its brain, nearly zero potential for side effects from long time 0g exposure (no bones or spinal cord), excellent peripheral vision and the ability to push itself by ejecting ink like a tiny bio-reactor.

The squid has nothing but good features when it come to space.

Ah, I see someone else plays Eclipse Phase.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Would have made interesting alien enemies too, instead of generic tusk face guy in suit with clunky mask poo poo Vandooles.

What's more threatening, a big tusk guy with a sword or an eight-armed cyber-cephaloid with an assault rifle in each tentacle?

imperialparadox posted:

To be honest, this has been kinda done to death, from Star Wars to "Mobile Suit Gundam" and "Space Battleship Yamato" and "Legend Of The Galactic Heroes" to Starship Troopers and "Firefly". I'd rather not have Space Germans sieg-ing all over the place in space jackboots, peaked caps and space black trenchcoats. It's done to death, IMO.

imperialparadox posted:

-or-

I am, however, totally down with Space Rome because you can pull some crazy Dune poo poo with it, with gilded space ships that have throne rooms built into them, but it also reminds me heavily of the old FASA wargame/RPG Renegade Legion. Speaking of which...

aleksendr posted:

Without going "Full Roman" just having a few little touches, like the ships painted martial red with gold highlights and the military dress uniforms having a red cape would be enough. Auxiliairies would be pilots from remote colony of the empire specialized in a certain type of ships or operations. Lanky guy from low G worlds being top recon pilots and burly high-g colonist enjoying flying bombers.

Now that i think of it the lack of central art direction is kind of jarring since only the Aegis line of ships and the racers show any kind of "Identity".

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

I could fall through the floor

Sounds about right. Link the livestream though.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

grimcreaper posted:

Id switch Dredd and Zombieland, and then get rid of Crank.

If you liked big trouble check out Dead Heat. 80s detective cop comedy about a gang that reincarnates people into zombies and uses them to rob jewelry store. Starring joe piscopo.

Also slap your friends for not appreciating the best decade of the 20th century.

In other SC news https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40i9ml/disco_lando_on_starcast_108_private_servers_are/

Was this really something croberts promised or just wishful fan thinking?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lowtax posted:

Oh boy AT&T just finished creating THE INTERNET in my house so now I'm gonna download my copy of SC and enjoy the depth and immersion of Spaceship Men In Space that only Chris Roberts can produce!!!

The patcher is an experience itself. Hope you didn't want to use the computer while downloading it for the next eighteen hours.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

I think someone earlier asked where you'd be streaming it, and I have the same question. I wouldn't want to miss out on the glorious space discoveries.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Midnight Voyager posted:

I think someone earlier asked where you'd be streaming it, and I have the same question. I wouldn't want to miss out on the glorious space discoveries.
You Tub. Probably won't stream anything until Wednesday night though, the kids are at their mother's house until then.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

imperialparadox posted:

The new space battleship Yamato did this and it was the coolest thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b6q0swc8MM
(this is in space)

Captains looking out of the windows with binoculars to find the enemy, submarines slipping in and out of quantum space to launch torpedos, broadsides flashing back and forth.

I can only dream they'll make a game like it sometime.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

DOMDOM posted:

In other SC news https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40i9ml/disco_lando_on_starcast_108_private_servers_are/

Was this really something croberts promised or just wishful fan thinking?

The private servers feature? Ya, that was a real promise. They'll rightly put it on the back burner until everyone forgets about it, then cancel it I'm sure.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Tippis posted:

The process usually goes something like
• Scoping and requirement analysis — figuring out what on earth you want to do and what you can deliver.
• Tech demo — proving that, yes we can make this thing appear, but for the love of god don't ask how the sausage is made.
• Vertical slice — here are a select few mechanisms working together to deliver a specific [gameplay] segment, with something resembling a UI.
• Alpha — building all systems to the point where they exist, using only rudimentary content to be able to actually see the systems at work.
• Beta — with all necessary systems in existence, they are tested and iterated on until they all (mostly) work.
• Release candidates — are there any huge show-stopper bugs we've missed?
• Release — pew pew!

So sure. You can be (roughly) that many pre:s before alpha, but that's usually the step when you start to figure out what you want in your game; what you need to make it; and what you should probably stay away from. Nothing is actually being built at this stage (except maybe the first step towards a brand new engine) because that would be a pointless waste of everyone's time. And yes, it corresponds rather well to where SC actually is. It doesn't correspond in the slightest to what they say they've released (an alpha that largely delivers all promised gameplay) nor where the actual client is (which sits more at the level of a tech demo).

I'm somewhere between these two.
• Tech demo — proving that, yes we can make this thing appear, but for the love of god don't ask how the sausage is made.
• Vertical slice — here are a select few mechanisms working together to deliver a specific [gameplay] segment, with something resembling a UI
Whee!

Actually, I've got a pretty good vertical slice.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lowtax posted:

Hope you like 18+ hours of randomly freezing download!

Berious posted:

It's a pretty good hidey-man simulator. The writing leaves a bit to be desired and the idea that you can hide from a xenomorph by diving into a locker and holding your breath might bother you if you're an autist like me, but what really sells it is the environment. The level of detail and care put into the visuals and sounds of the game is awesome.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

One hundred loving pages speedskimmed, holy gently caress you guys post too much.

At least I don't need to ask what happened in the last 4000 posts, since I did read some of it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Berious posted:

Yes.

If you like sneaking games, definitely. Especially since it takes a different approach to it by often making the standard crouching and waiting bad for you. It leaves you terribly exposed to some enemies and the alien is programmed to directly counter it. This is a game of speed-sneaking.
If you like Alien, definitely definitely, since it absolutely nails the tone of the movie.
If you like pretty graphics, most definitely, since the whole game is built around immersing you in the visual style and succeeds at every level (and I'm talking actual immersion here, not the SC kind).

No if you want another AvP or Aliens game or if you are “game solver” — the alien AI is pretty nifty but also fairly trivial to deal with if you bother with figuring out how it works (or read up on it).

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 11, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Warcabbit posted:

Actually, I've got a pretty good vertical slice.

deleted comments about some poo poo that uh...woo I just went...uh a bit too far there....*

ignore me i'm a tool.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 11, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The amount of goal post moving and handwaving this SC guy is doing over proving the inane claims they made is great.

They keep asserting there's an ulterior motive by Goons for pointing out CIG took less harsh of a treatment towards that recruitment video with pedophilic content. What that is, other than holding CIG accountable for consistent moderation, is beyond me. Did I miss a memo from Lowtax about what we're using that for in our quest against SC?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been reading the thread much lately best of luck to everyone

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

SerCypher posted:

The new space battleship Yamato did this and it was the coolest thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b6q0swc8MM
(this is in space)

Captains looking out of the windows with binoculars to find the enemy, submarines slipping in and out of quantum space to launch torpedos, broadsides flashing back and forth.

I can only dream they'll make a game like it sometime.

But they wont, because the moment they pick a decisive design choice they know a part of the "crowd" will stop funding, something they must push back as much as possible. Its down to the whole transition from "Funding" to "Operations" they refuse to make since the core competence of CIG as a business is not game making, its hype building and marketing.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Eonwe posted:

I haven't been reading the thread much lately best of luck to everyone

Not a problem zombie pink elephant. But you are missed friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Matlock Birthmark posted:

The private servers feature? Ya, that was a real promise. They'll rightly put it on the back burner until everyone forgets about it, then cancel it I'm sure.

Not only is it a core promise from Kickstarter, but they emphasized the feature after Elite dropped it. Now the community manager just said they won't even think about it until after going live. And nobody is calling them out for it. You even have assholes saying they don't even want private servers.

gently caress this community. They deserve whatever they get.

• Locked thread