Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Wait so did this happen during business hours? Like were they paid to watch Star Wars and eat pizza? And this was broadcast as part of one of the "shows" that are supposed to be part of their "open development" that they reference in their refund rejection emails and Sandi uses to pad her demo reel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unfunny Poster posted:

Your new avatar is a lot better than your last new avatar.

yea I like it

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

grimcreaper posted:

Herbal Remedies... What do they remedy? His Herbal sickness? is it contagious? Will it give me the StarCitizen bug? I need to leave the thread... My headache might be from his Herbal sicknesses.

I assumed it was space weed for space cancer.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

yea I like it

Woah yeah, sweet!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

:wtc::wtchris::wtc::wtchris::wtc::wtchris:

Dapper Dan posted:

New thread title: Star Citizen: Related to these issues, I have schizophrenia

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ash1138 posted:

Wait so did this happen during business hours? Like were they paid to watch Star Wars and eat pizza? And this was broadcast as part of one of the "shows" that are supposed to be part of their "open development" that they reference in their refund rejection emails and Sandi uses to pad her demo reel?

It happened outside company hours, but they twitch streamed them watching the entire Star Wars movies back to back using the CIGCommunity twitch channel.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Since we were talking about how the player becomes the ship, I wonder if the engine is trying to spawn the base of the ship model (you can see all the sub-parts of the ship waiting for the ship itself), but the spawn system is somehow defaulting to the player model, and it just keeps dumping the player model out repeatedly because whatever is calling the spawn function detects that the ship hasn't spawned in yet so it just keeps on trying.

As entertaining as all the project developments have been, the community, the emails, the "verse" videos they've put out, I bet the most entertaining, by far, would be the code itself. If there were some way to express the source code in a communicable manner, that was as broadly understandable as gifs or vids, it would probably far surpass everything else. The closest we can possibly get to that is glitch videos.

From what I've seen and read, this project appears to be based on one of the most pathological examples of spaghetti code I've ever seen in my life. Just listen to the developers in the "verse" videos. They can't even find where certain settings are going wrong. They fiddle around with values to make them work, but they don't have any clue why they eventually work. This is a development scenario that explodes exponentially with every little additional change. Any respectable project would halt everything at this point until they got a handle on what was actually occurring. If you have one or two things like this near the end of development, when everything is in place and you're just polishing, maybe it's excusable to hack a workable fix that works for unknown reasons (see Donkey Kong 64). When you are still far pre-alpha (which this game is by any real metrics), and you have 95%+ of game mechanics yet to be added, this is a show-stopper. When you take into account all the features that have been promised, and apply that against the problems they are currently having with an engine that just lets you fly around space and shoot guns, it's self-evidently clear they will never release anything that is nominally more functionally than what they have now. They will be able to throw in more content, more pretty graphics, and tie a few more mechanics together, but anything beyond that is a $105 million game of Jenga.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Madcosby posted:

when Lowtax buys star citizen he'll be doing it with money we all gave him, meaning we are all now Star Citizen backers

drat it

owned

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6230179/#Comment_6230179

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Mirificus posted:

Two German medical device auditors with PhDs that are married to each other and obsessed with Derek Smart and Sandi Gardiner?

Essen my JPEG!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ok i'm gonna play devils advocate here, people do get things like that all the time it's super poo poo, a relative of mine has vertigo and when he has a bad "moment" he looks and sounds like a drunk having a stroke, I know that's not even related but people have weird reactions to the smallest poo poo is what i'm trying to say.

But yeah why would anyone post that anyway? + the schizophrenia thing.... :shrug:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

i also bought wing commander back in the day but im confident none of that money went to this project

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Since we were talking about how the player becomes the ship, I wonder if the engine is trying to spawn the base of the ship model (you can see all the sub-parts of the ship waiting for the ship itself), but the spawn system is somehow defaulting to the player model, and it just keeps dumping the player model out repeatedly because whatever is calling the spawn function detects that the ship hasn't spawned in yet so it just keeps on trying.

As entertaining as all the project developments have been, the community, the emails, the "verse" videos they've put out, I bet the most entertaining, by far, would be the code itself. If there were some way to express the source code in a communicable manner, that was as broadly understandable as gifs or vids, it would probably far surpass everything else. The closest we can possibly get to that is glitch videos.

From what I've seen and read, this project appears to be based on one of the most pathological examples of spaghetti code I've ever seen in my life. Just listen to the developers in the "verse" videos. They can't even find where certain settings are going wrong. They fiddle around with values to make them work, but they don't have any clue why they eventually work. This is a development scenario that explodes exponentially with every little additional change. Any respectable project would halt everything at this point until they got a handle on what was actually occurring. If you have one or two things like this near the end of development, when everything is in place and you're just polishing, maybe it's excusable to hack a workable fix that works for unknown reasons (see Donkey Kong 64). When you are still far pre-alpha (which this game is by any real metrics), and you have 95%+ of game mechanics yet to be added, this is a show-stopper. When you take into account all the features that have been promised, and apply that against the problems they are currently having with an engine that just lets you fly around space and shoot guns, it's self-evidently clear they will never release anything that is nominally more functionally than what they have now. They will be able to throw in more content, more pretty graphics, and tie a few more mechanics together, but anything beyond that is a $105 million game of Jenga.

It's a good example of Eastern European coding practices. They do a lot of clever poo poo with a lot of clever solutions. The problem with that is it's held together with bailing wire and tape, so any stress on the code base will undo those clever solutions.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
10 for the developers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNKXtT3YXb8

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Madcosby posted:

i also bought wing commander back in the day but im confident none of that money went to this project

I still give Freelancer a twirl from time to time. For quick space Pew Pew its very nice but SC is what happen when you give someone too much money and dont stop giving. They turn into no good spoiled brath that dont ammount to much in the end.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

XK posted:

it's telling that we can cite Donkey Kong 64 as an example of better game design .

they sound fun.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

lol imagine being this gigantic of a pair of tools

they're probably obese and smell like cat piss

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Here's a tip:
If you suffer from full blown episodes because of spots of white light maybe consider not playing a game set in space which is blackness with points of white light in it :psyduck:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Well that's cool then :)
I dunno, I just saw this dudes pics and thought they made a good photoshop opportunity, turns out he is some rear end in a top hat or something?

He has a punchable face. And shills bad video game scams to his dumb fans. I'm saying rear end in a top hat.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Here's a tip:
If you suffer from full blown episodes because of spots of white light maybe consider not playing a game set in space which is blackness with points of white light in it :psyduck:

alternately, give so much money to the development of the game that you feel completely entitled to have the game changed to suit your condition

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
A carebear who wants private servers

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6227656/#Comment_6227656

A carebear who is bitter about Chris Robert's "vision"

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6227370/#Comment_6227370

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

alf_pogs posted:

alternately, give so much money to the development of the game that you feel completely entitled to have the game changed to suit your condition

Yo God, sort space out you twat, thanks

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

Here's a tip:

But it's the best game ever — it cannot possibly be responsible for any kind of adverse response!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

fuctifino posted:

It happened outside company hours, but they twitch streamed them watching the entire Star Wars movies back to back using the CIGCommunity twitch channel.
Well that's not so bad apart from them thinking that anyone would want to watch them eating while watching Star Wars. Unless it was some kind of meta-art-commentary on what's wrong with America.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Unfunny Poster posted:

In which I am accused of not reporting a pedophilic post on CIG's forums sans proof supporting that claim, and that I only used the pedo post for Psychological Manipulation because ~reasons~

I asked the guy to prove his claims, and he keeps going on about JAQ'ng off (what the gently caress is that meme?) and stuff. These people are very uncomfortable having discussions with opposing viewpoints/arguments.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=JAQing%20off

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
I might have missed it but was this ever explained

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

It's not an abnormal thing. I got a press code to the Goon made Enemy Starfighter (which is great and you guys should go check it out) when I was doing press poo poo for a website.

It's also not abnormal to opt not to use YouTubers/Streamers to promote your product since some of them are huge assholes about it.

There was a few people I know who have similar size channels to my own (2-7k subs) and would demand they also get paid for the content rather than just a free key. These aren't big channels, they're nobodies in most terms. Personally I'd rather get the press account, see if I enjoy the game enough and can make content off it than demand a dev studio pay me.

Link your channel so I can dissect every aspect of your videos and bitch about them please

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

neonbregna posted:

I might have missed it but was this ever explained

Yeah, its nothing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I lolled at this

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I love that there are pubbies who still don't understand that even we make fun of most of the eve goons for being spergs.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Neurotic Jew posted:

yikes imagine being that warped.

quote:

If this was gymnastics - I'd give you a solid 6.5 for those mental leaps.

Sigh - ok dude - seriously when you want to play JAQ'ing off you can't ignore the thread I know in Reddit it's hard because in the thread we're now buried so deep in this is unlikely to see the light of day and its just you and me now - and I know you're probably debating other people or submitting to other forums - but seriously you can't just ignore previous statements and hope I'll forget them.

Now further to - I've already supported your claim about CIG being in the wrong here, however I've called you out for using it the matter to further your cause - you being guilty about that and trying to trip me up isn't going to work. Just accept you hosed up you're a bad person for using the content in this way and for doubling down on it just to try and get a win in.

Your constant polite questions for proof - consistently ignoring your own statements and trying to get this conversation in a trapped loop of me just re-quoting your own posts as proof is getting tiresome so yes you are playing a game of attrition.

The fact you are using the lynching victims of the Jim Crow laws as a comparison speaks volumes of how little it or anything else here is valued by you.

This whole conversation and you're entire schtick has been based off the very premise that Beer is banned from posting on a Forum - and that is it - like seriously Beer's ships and account are still accessible to him, which I have said in public and to Beer that I would have vouched for him having it overturned if he didn't basically turn into the person he has now and kept the grudge.

The fact you are bringing in the Lynching of people - the previously mentioned content - and I am sure you've probably been looking for apt horrific comparisons throughout history - again all linked back to a private forum for a private company saying "Yeah, no thanks we'd rather you not be here thanks"

No sensible human being is disputing that CIG has screwed up moderation and been inconsistent at times - but these people are not using horrific content as a comparison to validate their agenda like you. There have been people being idiotic in this thread sure - but they've been baited heavily by you and others to make those idiotic statements all for your amusement.

So yes ... you're still a bad person - not worse than - not pure evil - not the devil incarnate. Just a bad human being doing lovely things online.

"How dare you use an example of people using an example of bad behavior to call out bad behavior like what was done during the Civil Rights Movement. That means you don't really care about what they were protesting. :colbert:"

:psyduck:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gerbil_Pen posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14677-Cargo-Interaction

Jared gets flustered with a question regarding one of the few design docs with explicit game mechanics. Clearly he is in the right job, getting visibly irate when confronted with questions regarding gameplay.

I saw that video on their page, how the gently caress is this different from what Deus Ex did in the 90s? There was some crap about an extra step to visually select where you want to drop the item but they didn't show it working and why the hell is that even needed?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MeLKoR posted:

I saw that video on their page, how the gently caress is this different from what Deus Ex did in the 90s? There was some crap about an extra step to visually select where you want to drop the item but they didn't show it working and why the hell is that even needed?

Because Tetris is a great game, but it is Chris' destiny and obligation to improve on it in space.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

fuctifino posted:

They are probably salaried anyway. I doubt you would make your lapdogs punch timecards.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
There's a Star Citizen paarping through the sky
He'd like to come and pwn us, but his things won't spawn in time
There's a Star Citizen lagging through the sky
He told us not to troll him, 'cause he knows the game might crash
He told me
Let the Goons hijack it
Let the Goons crash it
Let all the Goons moon it

Rhyming is way off, because effort.

Good luck on the other side, David!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Homeless Santa minimizing expectations for Grabby Hands. Right before this he tosses out some more word salad about the Rooms System that makes absolutely no sense.

I called that poo poo, I said grabby hands was a thing some coder did with the default cryengine prop interaction on a whim just for fun and that it would never work in a networked environment nor would it ever actually be in the game and there you have it

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Ahh Yes posted:

Why are goons so salty about Angry Joe?

drat I actually mistakenly thought we were angry about Salty Joe

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ash1138 posted:

Yet the citizens don't even blink when goalposts are moved or features or ships that have been quietly forgotten are brought up on the forums. Compare that to something like WoW's community who will remember everything that every dev or community manager has ever said ever and will flip their poo poo over the slightest perceived contradiction. It seems like every game has a community that at least gets a little salty when features are dropped or release dates are missed.

Except Star Citizen.

I don't really get it either unless it is just huge sunk cost fallacy at play here.

The WoW example above reminds me of a study in contrast, FFXIV. Since relaunch the devs have busted their asses producing and maintaining their game, and had pretty good community interaction (especially given the language barrier of a Japanese studio). Sure, you get the spergs on the official forums who can't get over the fact they dared rebuild the game from the disaster that was 1.0 launch, and the other types of MMO gamers who post on official forums, but the community as a whole is chill and pretty respectful.

Last March, Yoshida and company did a PAX panel showing a shitload of content from the upcoming expansion. Then they talked about the release date for Heavensward; they announced that they were truly sorry but they had to push it back (by all of six weeks). The devs all looked devastated by this, like they had let the fans down.

The community looked at this, collectively shrugged, and were like "You guys have been putting out huge content patches out every 3-4 months for over a year and a half now. It's cool, guys."

Square and YoshiP earned that from their players. CIG...yeah.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Angry Joe deserves Star Citizen, they both have the same qualities lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fuctifino posted:

Which is funny since it's against Twitch's TOS/EULA, which the SC fans used to get Derek's channel shutdown when he was doing live commentary on CitizenCon.

Edit - To be fair to Twtich, it was an automated takedown for obvious reasons but it's funny how they'll whine that Derek broke the EULA/TOS by doing that but ignore that CIG also broke the EULA/TOS.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 12, 2016

• Locked thread