Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Ahh Yes posted:

Why are goons so salty about Angry Joe?

I don't know who that is

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

Featuring such humdingers as...
"Did you correct Mark Hamill's nose?"
"When did UEC move away from paper money?"
"Will citizens have different clothes from civilians?"

Talk about cherry picking the non-questions.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he is joe

and angry

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Eonwe posted:

he is joe

and angry

And obnoxiously obnoxious. Can't stand him.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Eonwe posted:

he is joe

and angry
Okay now I am familiar with Angry Joe and understand why so many people dislike him!!!! hes always so angry!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Listening to this-- bloody hell.

---

One of the important questions that got through was "Did you fix Mark Hamill's nose?"

---

Another question was about Battlefield Medics.

When I think of that, I picture Battlefield, where a person can drop health and defib a recently downed team member. It's a vital player type and really can change the tide of battle, particularly in large firefights.

But CIG completely misses the point of the question. Long story short? They've designed an insignia, a patch that designates them as Battlefield Medic on the left arm. (Or a Navy Foreman, which they see as some kind of equivalent...) Beyond that, they've not given that specialization any thought. But if you want to dress up like a Navy Foreman and pretend to be a Battlefield Medic for role playing purposes, feel free. Just don't expect to actually heal injured players in the heat of battle. (I can't believe this is the case - do any of you folks know better?)

Though they haven't really thought about support character mechanics at all, they were quick to note later that your grenade count will be visible on your person, as each grenade in inventory will be hanging visibly on your belt. Fidelity!

----

"The Next Great Star Citizen Writer".

Kill me now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lowtax posted:

Okay now I am familiar with Angry Joe and understand why so many people dislike him!!!! hes always so angry!

He's all like :argh:
And that makes people all like :argh:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Maybe he should have called himself 'Cool Dude Joe' or 'Good Times Joe'

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

peter gabriel posted:

Maybe he should have called himself 'Cool Dude Joe' or 'Good Times Joe'

Chill Bro Joe

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We should play a game of Secret Hitler.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Chill Bro Joe

I am going to email him this suggestion, everybody could be totally chilled watching him Be Chill Bro Joe

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

They might consider a sale next week, the Christmas sale bump is starting to wearing off.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Lowtax posted:

He was an associate of the old Channel Awesome crew (Nostalgia Critic, AVGN, etc). He and a bunch of Video Game people tried to start up a gaming website "Blistered Thumbs" but that tanked within a month or two. Last I saw he's associated with TotalBiscuit's Polaris network.

He also gets carried away with his "Angry" character projection and can come off as a bit of a dick in addition to being insufferable. When he's not trying to prove anything, he's irritable but generally an okay person.

Best I can describe him is an aging Manchild who's slowly realizing that his shtick doesn't hold water anymore?

Source: My few interactions with Mr. Vargas in context with CIG PR functions.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

CIG has a habit of repeating things until people believe they are true. They appreciate the community and are thankful to the backers (as they gouge them left and right but adamantly oppose anything that would give the backers more flexibility). They are one of the most open companies on the planet (though what they share is mostly useless fluff and marketing). Development is progressing very well (even though they never meet their own dates, what we have seen is a glitch filled abomination, and the pace of development is falling further behind the pace of scope creep). Everyone is happy with development (though refunds are now denied). Nobody has ever been banned for what they've done off the forums (the lead moderator is wrong when he references Twitter posts when explaining a ban). Developers are in constant communication with the backers (though Roberts flat out said any information coming from a source that isn't him is just an opinion and can't be trusted). The physics of the game is a high fidelity simulation (just that the ships are so poorly designed that they can't actually fly without cheating the numbers to the point where they are meaningless). Everything is coming together (even though designers are making changes without even knowing why they're working). Squadron 42 will be a AAA game experience on par with anything else out there (with 20 hours of gameplay that used to be 50). Everyone is happy to work at Cloud Imperium Games (ignore the private investigator scouring people's computers for leaks). CIG Santa Monica is a pleasant work environment without any toxicity (unless you're a butt hurt special snowflake with no balls). Illfonic completed their contract and delivered their portion of the FPS content (which is why nobody has seen any of it and Illfonic has indicated unexpectedly losing CIG's business has caused them financial problems). We've always been at war with Eastasia.

^this Goon. No wonder they hate him now with a passion previously reserved for that bastard, Derek Smart

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
The video links have the same time-stamp. If there really is a "The Next Great Star Citizen Writer", the Fourth Stimpire writer should apply.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gerbil_Pen posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14677-Cargo-Interaction

Jared gets flustered with a question regarding one of the few design docs with explicit game mechanics. Clearly he is in the right job, getting visibly irate when confronted with questions regarding gameplay.
I saw that video on their page, how the gently caress is this different from what Deus Ex did in the 90s? There was some crap about an extra step to visually select where you want to drop the item but they didn't show it working and why the hell is that even necessary?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

The forums are so bad they've resorted to asking for PTU feedback on Reddit

PTU 2.1D Feedback Thread

The admission of defeat.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It isn't good business if everyone can spot a con. There is a point where too many people are operating in bad faith and a free market economy can no longer operate.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Lowtax posted:

I find it pretty amusing when people claim we're "hiding behind a paywall," but never explain what exactly we're hiding from. From what I recall, the sole reason I put up a paywall in the first place was to prohibit people spamming the forums with endless gimmick accounts that would do nothing but try to ruin threads by posting the same gigantic image repeatedly, or helpfully contributing to the community by calling people faggots. If there was no paywall, I absolutely guarantee you this thread would be overflowing with replies by people from a certain community intent on letting Derek Smart know he's a stupid friend of the family who should be lynched because he doesn't like their favorite video game.

So I guess if he's insinuating we're using the paywall to hide from absolute loving idiots, yes, that is true.

^this

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
BREAKING NEWS:
I just unplugged my phone charger which blew up my lamp which made me jump which caused me to knock a guitar case over onto two LCD screens and also drop my phone

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I know it's not been confirmed, but, this deleting the ticket backlog... They don't have an official bug reporting tool, correct? So were cs tickets being used for bugs?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

Homeless Santa quote: "One of the biggest things that's going to separate us from everything is that when you fly a spaceship you're not, you're not controlling the spaceship, you're controlling your man controlling the spaceship."

And there it is - the exact thing we got into yesterday. TTerrible - check it out - this is why we were harping on them for using "tricks" - they're outright claiming that they're not doing that, and in fact, what they're doing they claim will separate their offering from everyone else's. Clearly stated, and it's completely full of poo poo.

Yup. Nailed this yesterday in several posts that you, myself and TTerrible made. It's bollocks. All of it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-82TakEqk

I just watched this for the first time, and the 2001 opening is hilarious. I wonder if CR thinks SQ42 will be ranked alongside it in halls of fame. :allears:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

BREAKING NEWS:
I just unplugged my phone charger which blew up my lamp which made me jump which caused me to knock a guitar case over onto two LCD screens and also drop my phone

is the phone charger okay

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

alphabettitouretti posted:

I know it's not been confirmed, but, this deleting the ticket backlog... They don't have an official bug reporting tool, correct? So were cs tickets being used for bugs?

The short answer is CS tickets are the catch-all for everything that a backer wants to report to CIG.

From what I've heard (and not seen for myself, to be fair) is the bug reporting system is a headache to file both on user and dev ends.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

peter gabriel posted:

BREAKING NEWS:

It could be worse. If you lived in the 'verse' you also would have fallen through your floor and been ejected into space.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

State of the Game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Apparently there are ten Stimpires.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

peter gabriel posted:

BREAKING NEWS:

Jesus, are your jpegs ok?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

VenusRedux posted:

I love how Dolvak had plenty of time to respond so quickly with an article but they have been given days to prove Beer's letter is really fake/real and now no time! I don't care if it's not Dolvak but another one of those pricks that Beer trusts to do it, get it loving done. Make some loving time or take it the gently caress down and apologize.

So I doubt they will get with Beer, too. Why would they?

Like I was going to sit around waiting for those assholes. I didn't even need to ask Beer "Are they real", since I already knew that they were and didn't need to ask.

Which brings me to this: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/686705720092442629

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

is the phone charger okay

So far so good.
Jpegs are also OK.
Panic over

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Mirificus posted:

The video links have the same time-stamp. If there really is a "The Next Great Star Citizen Writer", the Fourth Stimpire writer should apply.
sorry - sloppy cut and paste on my part, Mirificus...

you didn't miss anything though. it's yet another lengthy session revealing how little they've thought through the mechanics of gameplay. but if I can tell how many grenades another player has on their belt by looking, well fidelity trumps gameplay anyday and I'm excited to play this game!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Samizdata posted:

Oh, as requested.

:pgabz: I have successfully reached the current end of this thread. :pgabz:

Bookmark this for future use:

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Can someone explain the "pubes/clean shaven" thing to me?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Rajafa is everywhere I go

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

G0RF posted:

sorry - sloppy cut and paste on my part, Mirificus...

you didn't miss anything though. it's yet another lengthy session revealing how little they've thought through the mechanics of gameplay. but if I can tell how many grenades another player has on their belt by looking, well fidelity trumps gameplay anyday and I'm excited to play this game!
I never thought I'd ever be so tired of hearing the words "fidelity" and "immersion".

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

padijun posted:

Can someone explain the "pubes/clean shaven" thing to me?

The escapist alleged that Sandi Gardiner said she didn't want to hire anyone with a messy bush, or something like that

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Matlock Birthmark posted:

The private servers feature? Ya, that was a real promise. They'll rightly put it on the back burner until everyone forgets about it, then cancel it I'm sure.

It's not in the stretch goals, so they have every right to not do it. So yeah, they can break every single uttered promised that wasn't in writing. All of them. Including birds. Especially birds. And animals. And skinning animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Batter up!

(Physics check out. Sort of.)

• Locked thread