Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Not only is it a core promise from Kickstarter, but they emphasized the feature after Elite dropped it. Now the community manager just said they won't even think about it until after going live. And nobody is calling them out for it. You even have assholes saying they don't even want private servers.

gently caress this community. They deserve whatever they get.

It neither appears in the original KS campaign, nor the funding stretch goals. So they can definitely go back on that one without ramifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TTerrible posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-82TakEqk

I just watched this for the first time, and the 2001 opening is hilarious. I wonder if CR thinks SQ42 will be ranked alongside it in halls of fame. :allears:

Star Citizen will be famous, just not for the reasons he thinks

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

D_Smart posted:

It's not in the stretch goals, so they have every right to not do it. So yeah, they can break every single uttered promised that wasn't in writing. All of them. Including birds. Especially birds. And animals. And skinning animals.

at this point, they can break the promises that were in writing too. star citizens will not care.

they will thankfully lap up whatever turd gets dropped to them, like mana from heaven, while defending the companies right to arbitrarily bail on stretch goals. for example, sq42 now being considered the primary game.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

holy poo poo they added trains

$200 million by spring

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Why is that mans helmet disappeared?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

peter gabriel posted:

Rajafa is everywhere I go
LOL, they changed the name of their Disqus account.

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/oneangrygamer/star_citizen_backers_can_be_perma_banned_for_off_site_activity/#comment-2449174090

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

D_Smart posted:

It's not in the stretch goals, so they have every right to not do it. So yeah, they can break every single uttered promised that wasn't in writing. All of them. Including birds. Especially birds. And animals. And skinning animals.
They mention private servers in the FAQ of the Star Citizen Kickstarter.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Bonus points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sybBuAdwO4&feature=youtu.be

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ha ha, thanks :getin:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mirificus posted:

I know, but I don't think that counts. It's not in the campaign description and it's not in the stretch goals. Those are the only two places where it would have to appear for them to be held to it.

Heck, right off the bat they said it wasn't an MMO. Since then, and even in the current game description, they're saying that it is. So there is that.

quote:

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

Last updated: Thu, Oct 18 2012 10:20 PM EST

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TTerrible posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-82TakEqk

I just watched this for the first time, and the 2001 opening is hilarious. I wonder if CR thinks SQ42 will be ranked alongside it in halls of fame. :allears:

You cant argue they don't know how to sell the Hype. The scanners, indigenous life forms, the buggy... Just this ships alone could be considered a whole game by itself.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
If people posted this before, my apologies, this thread moves fast.

A sign of things to come? http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/19/9759834/zano-drone-bankrupt-liquidation-kickstarter

tldr 3.6mil Kickstarter goes tits up for "reasons" after delivering a tiny amount of shoddy product that didn't live up to lofty promises. Cries of scam abound. Nobody is getting a refund.

Looks like a crystal ball to me!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
/r/starcitizen loving broke me. :negative:
I've been doing Free Republic for 8 years but after one month I can't deal with these people in cordial terms any longer, from now on it's straight shitposting and there's no point in having that linked to my "real name".

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

D_Smart posted:

I know, but I don't think that counts. It's not in the campaign description and it's not in the stretch goals. Those are the only two places where it would have to appear for them to be held to it.

Heck, right off the bat they said it wasn't an MMO. Since then, and even in the current game description, they're saying that it is. So there is that.
By held to, are you referring to a legal or moral sense?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hahahaha

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
lmao

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Mirificus posted:

Hilarious!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

He also gets carried away with his "Angry" character projection and can come off as a bit of a dick in addition to being insufferable. When he's not trying to prove anything, he's irritable but generally an okay person.

He gave Sword of the Stars II a glowing review, then it turned out that the game released wasn't the same as the E3 footage that he'd seen, His reviewing credentials are somewhat _suspect_.

So I converted the account to PTU, got the email with the new password, selected 'PTU' in the client, and it's been trying to download the last 350.05Kb of the game for around 7 hours.

Should I give it another hour or so?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mirificus posted:

lmao

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peter gabriel posted:

Rajafa is everywhere I go

Yeah but you're the sad pathetic guy for spending all your free time mocking the game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mirificus posted:

Fuuuck ha ha.
Last time this happened was when he was adamant the engine was called Starengine and you gave me the same kind of ammo, dude must fuckin hate me :lol:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah but you're the sad pathetic guy for spending all your free time mocking the game.

:D

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
If one of you chuckle fucks wins the powerball and doesn't set up their own diamond dogs to take out cig be advised I will skull gently caress you.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

This is actually a cool idea. It's not more tedious than having to grind money after crashing your ship into some dumb sun while opening the System Map in Elite.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
He follows me everywhere and calls me his lap dog after I said that to him once, I dunno, he's kind of :3: in his way

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

aleksendr posted:

You cant argue they don't know how to sell the Hype. The scanners, indigenous life forms, the buggy... Just this ships alone could be considered a whole game by itself.

If they had just made that the game they might have had a chance of getting it out the door. Although I'm pretty sure I remember doing all this already in Spore.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

I'm dying lol

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009
dont know who you're talking about but he sounds smart and funny and cool :smuggo:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

hardycore posted:

dont know who you're talking about but he sounds smart and funny and cool :smuggo:

This would be amazing :lol:

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
Not caught up with the thread. But I am up to the point of the customer service email purge.

This is very amusing, given the light of Beer's email chain. Now they can say, without lying, "We have no record of that exchange."

That's kind of scummy, and really upsetting to all the people in the system with legitimate issues, but the choice for the Roberts' was obviously an easy one. Plausible deniability, backed up with no data to prove it did/did not happen.

Just removing that single email chain would imply guilt or render evidence that their VP of marketing is kinda terrible. In the light of a "full system purge", assuming the brunt of the email happened prior to 2016, now they can claim it was business as usual. Oh, and sorry but your email chain was lost too! Oops.

And of course, everything is perfectly fine. Here, buy some more pictures!

:pgabz:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

He gave Sword of the Stars II a glowing review, then it turned out that the game released wasn't the same as the E3 footage that he'd seen, His reviewing credentials are somewhat _suspect_.

I don't remember the review being glowy, I remember the PREviews being glowy and whatnot, but the actual review amounted to the standard reaction from everyone else (it's a pile of lies and poo poo).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

He follows me everywhere and calls me his lap dog after I said that to him once, I dunno, he's kind of :3: in his way

Cute. Their Disqus page went from https://disqus.com/by/rajafamitswuey/ to https://disqus.com/by/Kronypsus/

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If I win the powerball I will not buy CIG but it would be really tempting to buy and shut down

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's funny because if they are using JIRA (or basically any ticketing system) they are probably using the SaaS version and could easily recover any conversations that happen

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Use the quote he made on reddit right back at him.

I can't find it but someone posted it here, I think Mirificus or whoever did. It was them going on about how people waste their time posting negativity about the game being pathetic.

Edit -

Found it

Mirificus posted:

Of course Rajafa is there to defend CIG. Didn't they say that they only spend 30 minutes on Reddit per day?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40en2n/did_anyone_just_receive_this_message_from_cig/cytm7q9

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 12, 2016

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Also thank you for the Av update.

I'm certain I won't be hoisted with my own verbal petard.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

Self-hosted multiplayer is explicitly mentioned as a key feature in the original Kickstarter project description and the original RSI site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimmyD
Jul 31, 2006

Mirificus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA95r5b6rEM

• Locked thread