Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Paradise Lost is DLC for Postal 2 released on April 17th, 2015, exactly twelve years and four days after the initial game's release. After the buggy bullshit of Apocalypse Weekend and Akella completely mangling Postal 3 in the name of saving money (seriously who the gently caress releases a game without an esrb rating), Running With Scissors decided, with the sudden jump in popularity the original Postal 2 had attained, to go back to it and start updating it again. This culminated in the development of a new DLC package ten years after Apocalypse Weekend's release, Paradise Lost.

The story of Paradise Lost is simple: Postal Dude nuked Paradise in Apocalypse Weekend and escaped with Champ, Champ jumped out the window during the escape to chase something, and as the Postal Dude headed back for him, his head-wound acted up again, causing him to crash into the first solid object capable of stopping a car he found. This sent him into a coma, during which he had a bad dream that he was in a poor imitation of his original weirdest week with a different voice in some place named after a cat or whatever. Finally waking after eleven years, he decides to search for Champ, the only lead he's given taking him to the ruins of Paradise.

Being DLC for Postal 2, it's inevitable that this will be compared to Apocalypse Weekend. Fortunately for it, the comparisons are for the most part much more in favor of it. It's still buggy, probably moreso than AW (have to use a specific renderer to not crash on switching zones, cutscenes sometimes play improperly or not at all), but for the most part it's much, much better - RWS decided to go with what made the original Postal 2 fun rather than throwing it out the window. It's open-world, it doesn't artificially inflate the difficulty by forgetting to place decent weapons or any medical supplies where they're actually needed, the humor is actually funny all throughout, you have actual options for most situations rather than just "shoot everyone" again (even if I'm not going to be taking them), and it is, above all, entertaining.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So you can collect cats in this game.

Is the final boss a crazy cat lady?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Your video seems to have some pretty bad interlacing issues, but it's still watchable.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Your video seems to have some pretty bad interlacing issues, but it's still watchable.

I'm pretty sure that's been an issue for just about everything I've made since at least when I switched to Zarx264 for converting to .mp4 two years ago now, but nobody ever brought it up before. I'll see if there's anything I can do about it for the next couple videos.

EDIT: apparently switching from cinematic 30FPS (29.970) to actually 30FPS helps, even though I'm pretty sure that's exactly the same thing I did for the first video and all it did was exacerbate existing interlacing issues. We'll see whether it works on a full-length video in the next few days, assuming I'm feeling well enough to record commentary.

EDIT 2: Okay, at best I'm able to get one clip actually deinterlaced like I tell it to be; once I insert a fade of any sort, Vegas decides I actually want interlacing for every clip longer than two seconds after that point. Until someone explains what ritual sacrifice is necessary to get Vegas to do exactly what I loving tell it to do, it's out of my hands.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 13, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kadorhal posted:

I'm pretty sure that's been an issue for just about everything I've made since at least when I switched to Zarx264 for converting to .mp4 two years ago now, but nobody ever brought it up before. I'll see if there's anything I can do about it for the next couple videos.

EDIT: apparently switching from cinematic 30FPS (29.970) to actually 30FPS helps, even though I'm pretty sure that's exactly the same thing I did for the first video and all it did was exacerbate existing interlacing issues. We'll see whether it works on a full-length video in the next few days, assuming I'm feeling well enough to record commentary.

EDIT 2: Okay, at best I'm able to get one clip actually deinterlaced like I tell it to be; once I insert a fade of any sort, Vegas decides I actually want interlacing for every clip longer than two seconds after that point. Until someone explains what ritual sacrifice is necessary to get Vegas to do exactly what I loving tell it to do, it's out of my hands.

I sympathize with your video-editing pain but have no solution. Don't stress it though, the videos are watchable.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I sympathize with your video-editing pain but have no solution. Don't stress it though, the videos are watchable.

Good to hear either way, though I think I actually just did figure out how to fix it. Regardless, interlacing issues or not, I'll have the next update out in the next day or so; I'm thinking I'm going to go for an update every three or four days for as long as I can manage that.

Junpei Hyde posted:

So you can collect cats in this game.

Is the final boss a crazy cat lady?

Thinking back on it now, this is actually sort of apt. Not quite a cat lady, but plenty crazy.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I am really glad you're playing this, by the way. I recently shared Postal 3 with my boyfriend and wanted to find a decent LP of Paradise Lost too. Guess we'll be watching yours.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

This time we enter the CCCP. No, not the old Soviet Union, the Creature Control Center and Pets, one of the few new businesses to spring up in the ruins of Paradise. And, of course, there's people protesting some of the shady things they're doing behind closed gates.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I seriously just now got the Cock Asian pun.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It occurred to me that many of these ideas seem to be re-used or reworked from Postal 3. There's even the monkeys and tornado cats.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Weren't the Tornado Cats in Apocalypse Weekend?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Weren't the Tornado Cats in Apocalypse Weekend?

I stand corrected.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I figured speaking to the wise man would take so little time, I needed to hold back the stuff the thread's name came from to pad it out a little bit. Of course that ended up being kinda unnecessary because I had plenty of footage of inflicting random violence on everybody between speaking to him and ending the day, but hey.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I get the impression that the wise man is kind of a dick. Not sure why, though.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Start of a new day. I think I'm settling for four days between uploads, with an extra day between the end of one day and the start of a new one when I feel the need. Anyway, today we're once again working with the Running with Scissors team, who have moved from their own offices to the church.

Let's just hope this time doing stuff for Vince doesn't somehow involve a zombie invasion.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Is the voice in our head the Postal Dude from Postal 3?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Is the voice in our head the Postal Dude from Postal 3?

Sure is! They got both voice actors back for this.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I've been telling some of my friends over Steam about this LP lately. Apparently, the fact that a game from 2003 received DLC twelve years later completely breaks their minds.

The fun thing too is that my last LPF-only LP sort of predicted this; the final lines of my Jedi Academy video have me describing the fate of the protagonist's lightsaber (it just got buried under rubble instead of blowing the gently caress up as shown, protagonist came back decades later to retrieve it) and my co-commentator made a joke about how he can't wait for the DLC that lets you play those events. The game was just shy of ten years old by the time the LP finished.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
RWS kind of dropped this one out of nowhere. I remembered it being mentioned about once before vanishing for years, and then suddenly popping up on my steam recommendations. It's just as much fun now as it ever was, and it gives me great hope that one of these days, we'll see a Postal 4, and it will be good stuff.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

RWS kind of dropped this one out of nowhere. I remembered it being mentioned about once before vanishing for years, and then suddenly popping up on my steam recommendations. It's just as much fun now as it ever was, and it gives me great hope that one of these days, we'll see a Postal 4, and it will be good stuff.

I'm sure if there ever were a Postal 4, RWS would take the opportunity to repeatedly make fun of how weird their sequel numbering had gotten.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I'm fairly certain the supercomputer these PU Games guys are using is a Cray X-MP, or some other model that looks similar. Interesting that they're using a computer from the mid-80s.

I'd like to think this is the first sign that Let's Play has actually taught me something. I recognized the computer on sight thanks to having watched the Jurassic Park: Trespasser LP like six times since I discovered the LP Archive.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I feel like maybe RWS has a bone to pick with Double Fine Productions.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Help Vince Desi, get attacked by zombies. To quote the Dude: why does this not surprise me?

Y'know, other than the fact I've already played through this game a bunch of times before LPing it.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Today's an interesting day. We get to visit another area of Paradise, this time covered in snow.
We get to find various interestingly-placed snowmen and piss on them (though I didn't do that in this video).
And we get to meet Zack Ward, child star extraordinaire.

And we get to kill him.

Like I mention in the video, he's an optional encounter. You can continue gaining scraps from other citizens until you reach the 3000... dollars? Cents? Ten-cents? I think I got 300 bucks from his vault so I'm going with ten-cents. Anyway, you can continue asking people for donations until you get that much. It's long-winded and boring much like ye olde petition, but if you manage it you get an achievement.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Fetch quest time today. Already not all that interesting or fun, made even less so because my outfit broke an encounter or five.
Then again considering my game has crashed at least once through the asylum trip every other time I've played it because of too many people (and too many resultant corpses) I'll consider it a victory.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

You ever get that distinct feeling of déjà vu?

Or perhaps it's déjà moo. (kill me)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I haven't said a drat thing for the last three updates but this is still a great let's play.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'm pretty sure I bought this on release. I haven't beaten Apocalypse Weekend myself (watched your LP) so I haven't given this a shot yet. Loving the LP though.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I haven't said a drat thing for the last three updates but this is still a great let's play.

As often or as rarely as it's said, it's still nice to know.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm pretty sure I bought this on release. I haven't beaten Apocalypse Weekend myself (watched your LP) so I haven't given this a shot yet. Loving the LP though.

AW and PL are worlds apart. Except for the glitches. I'm still encountering new glitches I never saw before as I'm recording the LP, and there's still quite a few I'm hoping to show off as we get to them.

EDIT: I completely forgot to mention it when it was timely, but I semi-recently guest-hosted for nine-gear crow's just-completed LP of Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War. If part of the reason you're coming here is for my voice (described by at least two people, one of whom isn't someone on Youtube who likely just can't tell voices apart, as sounding at least similar to the Postal Dude's) then I've guested for that LP twice, and I'm planning to make a lot more appearances for the next game in the series he's going to show off.

If you've been following Lazyfire's LP of Republic Commando too, a while ago I recorded guest commentary for the last two episodes of that. It's kind of an amazing ride, is all I'll say.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 21, 2016

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Shocking development!

This is the first time in the actual games we get to see the Dude's wife. If you've watched the movie by Uwe Boll (probably the closest thing he ever made to a halfway-decent film) you might recall the Dude's wife being morbidly obese there. That's essentially what RWS went with, but... well, you'll see.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kadorhal posted:

Shocking development!

This is the first time in the actual games we get to see the Dude's wife. If you've watched the movie by Uwe Boll (probably the closest thing he ever made to a halfway-decent film) you might recall the Dude's wife being morbidly obese there. That's essentially what RWS went with, but... well, you'll see.

Honestly the Postal movie is pretty drat funny.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

Honestly the Postal movie is pretty drat funny.

It's half-funny. It's the closest anyone would reasonably come to nailing the essence of the game without getting a NC-17 in a time without online distro, and that's honestly impressive. But it's still hampered by the execution of Uwe Boll.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I unironically enjoyed the hell out of the Postal movie. It totally nails the spirit of the game, just staggers a little in the fine details. Like having the Postal dude just being a factory working instead of working for RWS. I remember it got a fair bit of flack (no surprise) because of the whole opening 9/11 joke where the hijackers question their faith and change their minds at the last minute, only for the passengers to storm the cockpit and doom the plane. It was genuinely very distasteful and crude, but younger me laughed like a mother fucker when I actually saw it.

Plus, this scene is amazing. I love implied cannibalism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMqNbgZnNLo

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Zushio posted:

I unironically enjoyed the hell out of the Postal movie. It totally nails the spirit of the game, just staggers a little in the fine details. Like having the Postal dude just being a factory working instead of working for RWS. I remember it got a fair bit of flack (no surprise) because of the whole opening 9/11 joke where the hijackers question their faith and change their minds at the last minute, only for the passengers to storm the cockpit and doom the plane. It was genuinely very distasteful and crude, but younger me laughed like a mother fucker when I actually saw it.

Plus, this scene is amazing. I love implied cannibalism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMqNbgZnNLo

I think the opening scene was one of the highlights honestly. It is distasteful and crude, but it's also pretty clever.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Hey, read this and I'll blow your mind: Running with Scissors played Borderlands, and they thought Claptrap was annoying! I know, impossible.

The plus side is that this is probably the most interesting errand to complete if you're trying for a pacifist run like an idiot who has to go fast or something. I'm not spoiling it for you, watch the video and see for yourself.

Zushio posted:

I remember it got a fair bit of flack (no surprise) because of the whole opening 9/11 joke where the hijackers question their faith and change their minds at the last minute, only for the passengers to storm the cockpit and doom the plane. It was genuinely very distasteful and crude, but younger me laughed like a mother fucker when I actually saw it.

I think the opening scene was one of the highlights honestly. It is distasteful and crude, but it's also pretty clever.

Yeah, that's the only scene of the film I've seen more than once or twice. It's exactly as you guys say, distasteful as all hell, but at the same time hilarious.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Today's errand is sort of like that cow-milking one from Wednesday, in that it's something we've done before - ran through this specific building, cutting off the heads of a bunch of rednecks. The only differences between then and now are that the rednecks don't collectively hold it against me when I finish, and that I'm going backwards through the building.

No, seriously, that's all that's different. Nothing extra happens. Honest!

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Since the romp through the redneck's building was in reverse order, it's only appropriate that the part where I lose all my stuff happens after I get out.

It's not that much of a hindrance. Especially if you left some stuff around town for yourself, you can re-equip yourself pretty quickly with some decent weapons - and even then it's not really necessary because you get some good things back almost as soon as you check out their hideout.

Also, we meet the one, the only, Milo Yiannopoulos. No, I hadn't heard of him before this game, either. However I have since noticed some idiotic tweets (what a shocker) from him that have convinced me he has to die in this game. I did kind of make a promise to people on another website, after all, I don't care that none of them are even aware of my LPs.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Wait, that was Milo? He of the now lost Blue Checkmark, and journalistic ethics that make Rupert Murdoch say "Nah, gently caress this guy"?

Oh, well. Carry on then. Although I'm not sure how much surprise is left in me for next episode.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Are you surprised? You shouldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Osama Bin Laden becoming a man of peace. Now I didn't see that coming.

I thought we killed him in the main game though?

• Locked thread