Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Music has charms to soothe the savage breast. Jpop is at its most powerful with huge performance stuff. Rationale for doing the big show can be to stop people from being in a panic and running around everywhere instead of all gathering in one place so its easier to protect them. Once you've got that it's all a matter of style and wanting to do the performance at its biggest and best to get through to even the most boneheaded berserk Zentradi.

Artum posted:

Wasn't really feeling that until that last song and holy crap that was cool.

Also yes the last song is super good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I really like this Dougram mech.

The Small Zam

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I bet that thing has a boss walking animation.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I finished Dougram, and I have a question. So what's the deal with the first scene, where Canary comes across the ruined Dougram? Did she get lost camping or something?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

The first episode sort of doesn't really happen. It has no actual place where it can happen in the timeline. Just think of it as a pilot episode, and treat the story as going from 2 to 75.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Can we talk about how insane it is that Gundam got cancelled, Macross almost got cancelled, but Dougram, the most plodding, middle-aged men talking in board rooms mecha anime of all time, got seventy-five goddamn episodes?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the wiles of the anime industry are silly sometimes

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

What did you make of the ending?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I got detoured on Macross after one episode of Seven (finished SDF and Plus though) with VOTOMs. Is Dougram worth adding to the list If I like those shows + Gundam?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

boom boom boom posted:

Can we talk about how insane it is that Gundam got cancelled, Macross almost got cancelled, but Dougram, the most plodding, middle-aged men talking in board rooms mecha anime of all time, got seventy-five goddamn episodes?

Isn't it like, 10 or 15 episodes before Crinn even gets in to the Dougram? Or has it just become exaggerated in my mind? I remember liking how long it took to build up to him becoming a pilot.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Traveller posted:

What did you make of the ending?

It was good

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

tsob posted:

Isn't it like, 10 or 15 episodes before Crinn even gets in to the Dougram? Or has it just become exaggerated in my mind? I remember liking how long it took to build up to him becoming a pilot.

The first episode, as mentioned, is a sort of weird pilot that flashes forward. But yeah, he doesn't get the Dougram until episode 9. But he does start piloting regular Combat Armors in episode 3.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

But seriously though. It was really unexpected how long they keep fighting for nothing. The real strength of the show is how realistic it is, so seeing the soldiers keep on fighting like that, and being unsatisfied with an imperfect peace was great. I'm assuming that with LaCoque dead, Deloyer does end up getting a more favorable outcome, thhe control of the space port and the removal of federal troops. Which was basically what they wanted all along. So in the end, Carmel and loving Destin are the big heroes of the revolution. It's so wonderfully un-storybook.

I do wish there was a movie alternate ending, showing what would have happened if the attack on the North Pole space port had gone forward

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8sQ6GqvD8I

Holy poo poo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh man. Somebody who knows how to make .gifs, get ones of that Breast Fire and Photon beam.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,my co-worker just got me into VOTOMS, digging it so far. Are any of the OVAs any good?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Mellowlink owns

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

VolticSurge posted:

So,my co-worker just got me into VOTOMS, digging it so far. Are any of the OVAs any good?

On the whole, not really, but just watch the show and go from there.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

VolticSurge posted:

Leaving Mellowlink aside (it's cool), I'd say the rule is that the prequel OVAs (like Roots of Ambition, Pailsen Files) are generally better than the sequels.

Although there are definitely some folks who don't have too many issues with what happens in the later works. So it all depends on you.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Mellowlink is rad as hell but it's more of a separate story set in the same universe, it doesn't follow up on Chirico's story in any way iirc.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
That's how I remember Macross Frontier.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

boom boom boom posted:

Mellowlink owns

:agreed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUx0pqA80UU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finally finished Shin Mazinger. I'm still not really seeing in it what everyone else sees, though the second half of the show was better than the first half I guess. Overall I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that wasn't already a fan of the franchise.

I think the main thing bout the show is that it lives and dies on the Kurogane House characters. If you don't care about them, then all of the screentime they have is a bit tedious.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 7, 2016

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Just finished watching Zeorymer.

That sure was a crummy and nonsensical OVA.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah it definitely feels weird and sort of rushed

like how after all the buildup of making yuratei seem a lot more noble and purposeful and then suddenly she just sorta died out of nowhere and then the show ended

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
All the villains got built up and then died because Zeorymer is just that loving powerful. And they were all clones of Masaki, who wanted to destroy the world and then take it over because ???

Just weird. Pretty, though. Shading everywhere.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Zeorymer is probably my favorite terrible 80's OVA.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like Zeorymer because it basically stars proto-Lelouch.

I'd love to see a remake that is actually good.

EDIT: Also I've started watching through Space Runaway Ideon.

Oh Tomino.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 8, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is Zeorymer the one where there's that "*series name* in a nutshell" 4koma of the villain saying something ominous, immediately blowing up, and the MC just going :getin: inside his cockpit? I laugh every time I see that.

e: hahahah yep

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Zeorymer is really bad, but really fun. It's very proto-Lelouch with the biggest "I threw that poo poo before I came in the room" bullshit plan of all time and then every fight scene is the main dude having a bad time and then going "oh wait" then fist bumping himself and winning. B+ would laugh every time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

EthanSteele posted:

Zeorymer is really bad, but really fun. It's very proto-Lelouch with the biggest "I threw that poo poo before I came in the room" bullshit plan of all time and then every fight scene is the main dude having a bad time and then going "oh wait" then fist bumping himself and winning. B+ would laugh every time.

It's this and the fact that it's very, very pretty that make me really love Zeorymer. It's also short enough that it doesn't wear out its welcome.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I now need a SRW that mostly consists of Lelouch and Masaki trying to out bullshit each other for the entire game.

Please Banpresto, make it happen.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

There's a new Getter Robo manga out called Getter Robo Devolution. only the prologue and one chapter out so far though

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/getter-robo-devolution-uchuu-saigo-no-3-punkan-r16514/

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's lame

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of the first chapter but i'm willing to give it a few more.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Zeorymer's main reason to exist is that it makes good SRW series fodder

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I'm sure they made a show only so that it could be in the videogame series that started seven years later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

Yeah I'm sure they made a show only so that it could be in the videogame series that started seven years later

Of course, it was planned years in advance by the evil personality that sometimes hijacks Terada.