Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Legend of Grimrock II, developed by Almost Human, is a 2014 send-up of classic grid-based 3D RPGs such as Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder. You play in first-person view, move only in the four cardinal directions, fight monsters and sometimes innocent wild animals, and solve devious puzzles to survive. Where the first Grimrock was a single dungeon reaching down deep into the earth, Grimrock II expands into a wide open overworld with secrets, treasures, dungeons, and mysteries aplenty. And lots of turtles to punch and munch.

You play up to four prisoners who are being transferred overseas when your ship crashes on the mysterious island of Nex. One pesky island master seems eager to throw you into dungeons and traps all over the island. With Ogre Taint the Minotaur Barbarian, Cricket Dazzler the Insectoid Battlemage, Failure of a Son the Lizardman Alchemist, and Pubert the Ratling Farmer, you must explore Nex, solve clever puzzles, fight vicious creatures, and gather the four essences of nature in order to find your way home. Or find the secret fifth element, and take a different option...

This is a 100%, sort-of-optimized, informative but inevitably goofy run of the game. I will find all of the secrets, treasures, Epic Items, Power Gems, and show off all of the endings, along with the occasional extra tip or secret. My characters and classes were chosen for variety, efficiency, and hilarity. My co-commentators are Mugiwara Yoshi, BigTUnit1, and JigglyJacob, who were also chosen for those same reasons... along with a surprise reason you will see in Part 1.

After the main LP, there is also a short Mod Showcase showing off a few of the custom dungeons and campaigns designed by fans. Highwang and occasionally JigglyJacob join me as co-commentators for those.

This LP is a spinoff and was partially inspired by Highwang's single character challenge run. It convinced me to pick up the game in the first place and is recommended viewing.
If you haven't seen the first game and are curious, you can check out Highwang's Toorum run, Agent355's somewhat serious LP or Iron Chitlin's four-commentator fuckaround LP. It's up to you to decide which of the three our LP ends up the most like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skip intro cutscene

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download the Mod

Download the Mod

Download the Mods: Grimrock Unlimited, Battle Tower

Download the Mods: Bacodar's Realm, Dungeon of Orli

Download the mods:
Survival Beach, The Legend of the Lost Dwarf Kingdom of Kahrak'arul

Download the mod

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(By Jiggly Jacob)

(By BigTUnit1)

(By RasterPunk)
Pubert - The Ratling Farmer
"On the road I appreciate the little things, all of them."

Cricket Dazzler - The Insectoid's Mistake
"Spellbooks? I read Mondain's '1000 Ways to Die' for inspiration."

Failure of a Son - The Deadpan Lizardman
"No."

Peanut butter mimic

(By NullBlack)

(By dijon du jour)

(By ChibiWisdom)
Ogre Taint

Cricket Dazzler

Pubert

Failure of a Son

Slime Jacob

Chains Lighter!

The Gang's All Here

(By DocGator)
Pubert wants eggs

(By ThePapaMatt, DeviantArt)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 16, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I was wondering for a good while "Why the hell isn't he customizing portraits?" Glad to see that you didn't disappoint.

I'm also curious about how you plan to progress through the game. During my playthrough I had to game the system just to get by, but the open-ended nature of this game can lend itself to many different routes.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Don't listen to him, Jacob. You're the prettiest of them all.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

God I can't breathe why is that so funny god drat it, you guys.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I am disappointed that you did not make Pubert the cutest Rat Farmer There Ever Was.
That would kind of clash against the theme going on here though.

I was intrigued by this game when it passed my explorers queue but my main experience with first person party gridlikes is Wizardry and I am not a big fan of them so I gave this game a pass.
The combat's far more action oriented which is both a plus and a minus for me so I don't think I'll be picking this game up but I'll certainly enjoy experiencing it through the medium of 'Three dudes and a Rat Farmer.'

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I am disappointed that you did not make Pubert the cutest Rat Farmer There Ever Was.

Are you saying this man isn't adorable:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

ThornBrain posted:

That man is something, surely.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I feel surprised that every single piece of food picked up in episode 1 wasn't shoved straight down that rat's gob.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Personally I'll miss that one other Grimrock 2 LP made by those other guys. Last thing I heard is that they ran into technical difficulties or somthing and couldn't finish it. Its nice to know that this one is already in good hands, though it'll still be a while before you catch up to where they left off.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Tombot posted:

Personally I'll miss that one other Grimrock 2 LP made by those other guys. Last thing I heard is that they ran into technical difficulties or somthing and couldn't finish it. Its nice to know that this one is already in good hands, though it'll still be a while before you catch up to where they left off.

Agent's computer got termites. While he did eventually get a new computer, he apparently lost interest in continuing the LP after such a long hiatus.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Wait is that metaphorical termites, or actual literal bugs in your computer termites?

I was also kinda confused as to why they weren't feeding that ratling half of the food they got, I'm hoping for either a sneaky plan or a explanation of some mechanical nuance I didn't know yet. Also Failure of a son is probably my favorite out of all the goofy names, though they are all pretty good.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Zoig posted:

Wait is that metaphorical termites, or actual literal bugs in your computer termites?

I was also kinda confused as to why they weren't feeding that ratling half of the food they got, I'm hoping for either a sneaky plan or a explanation of some mechanical nuance I didn't know yet. Also Failure of a son is probably my favorite out of all the goofy names, though they are all pretty good.

Metaphorical.

Because his computer was made from wood, you see.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
It's not that difficult. He's spreading out the food so that everyone has some available. Once thwy have a bit of a surplus, presumably Pubert will get to chow down. They're also dealing with certain races having a preferred food that will get them stat increases, and as you saw the game drops several at the start.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I kept hearing about this game because I loved the might and magic games, but I was never sold on the whole grid based movement thing. At least this way I can see what it's like.

Good to see another LP from you guys.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

RickVoid posted:

It's not that difficult. He's spreading out the food so that everyone has some available. Once thwy have a bit of a surplus, presumably Pubert will get to chow down. They're also dealing with certain races having a preferred food that will get them stat increases, and as you saw the game drops several at the start.

RickVoid's got it. Food never goes bad in this game, so I'm just making sure everyone has a piece for when they start getting hungry, including their favorites. Pubert will have plenty of updates where I just pile the food down him.

I forgot while recording, but another downside to starving is you can't recover health or energy from resting, and a commenter on YouTube says he thinks it also reduces attack damage. So not as unimportant as I said, but not the end of the world either. I move quickly enough this LP that no one goes hungry for long.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ThornBrain posted:

I'm saying he's not a rat farmer :colbert:

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Olesh posted:

Agent's computer got termites. While he did eventually get a new computer, he apparently lost interest in continuing the LP after such a long hiatus.

I was wondering about that. He was literally 1 or 2 updates from finishing the game, even at his slow pace. Hope he gets the LP bug back when La Mulana 2 is around.

I don't think I would ever enjoy playing a game like Grimrock, but I absolutely love watching LPs of it. This will be the 3rd one of Gimrock 2 I'm following. Can't wait to see a 4-player version with someone who knows what they're doing.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I have never heard of this game before, and already I expect shenanigans. I'm pleasantly surprised, is what I'm saying, this looks fun, if only because I'm imagining you guys chained together on some island suffering each other. And that is some good entertainment when done properly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wasn't initially sold on the game at first but from watching it it seems fine enough. The 4-person banter throughout certainly helps though. It makes me imagine how much chaos would come from someone trying to pull this same kind of set-up with an Etrian Odyssey game though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'm saying he's not a rat farmer :colbert:

Rat farmers don't spend all their time at the rat farm farming rats, they're allowed to have social lives. I'm sure Pubert is great at parties.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I once saw him get thrown out of an All-You-Can-Eat buffet.

Turns out it wasn't.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I keep meaning to pick this back up. I liked a lot of the changes and additions, if not so much others like the removal of unarmed skill and the enchant arrows spell. But mostly I felt once you get deeper in they overtuned combat a liiiitle too much to compensate for the combat in the first game (though I haven't played since closer to release, maybe they eased up on that).

Those fishmen with their spear leap is super cool, and a great addition. But then I realized later in the game, increased enemy turn speeds, 90 and 360 degree attacks, single tile hallway ambushes vs things with ranged attacks, etc, meant just standing still tanking it let me beat most enemies faster and with less damage taken than trying to use my brain :saddowns: (You know, aside from the obvious exceptions).

So LPs of this are a real joy, I get to see all the cool stuff without feeling like I just don't click with the combat, even with how I love literally everything else so much more than the first game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Well this LP certainly looks to be a treasure. Guess I'll have to actually get to playing this game, then.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

RickVoid posted:

I once saw him get thrown out of an All-You-Can-Eat buffet.

Turns out it wasn't.

This actually happened to two people I know; after several hours (not all of which were spent just eating, of course), they were told that that was, in fact, all they could eat (the place was closing until the evening).

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time for some real enemies. Dead people! And a real boss. Plants!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

Time for some real enemies. Dead people! And a real boss. Plants!

Merfolk, mummies, aggressive plants. I wonder what's next.

I mean, you're already traveling with a minotaur and ratling and stuff so I shouldn't be surprised but still, a beach isn't somewhere you'd think could have mummies close by.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Seems to be a good old kitchen sink fantasy setting. There's probably some lava monsters a level right beneath the mummies.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Pants, perhaps.

Also, in memory of Agent355 being dead(or missing, whatevs), is this going to be a 100% rock run?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I hope the ratling never, ever gets pants.

Seriously, don't do it. See if you can make it through the game that way. just for the jokes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Aw man, I need to get around to finishing this game. Played it for a good bit and was loving it to bits just like the first one, but then Pillars of Eternity came out and all other games stopped existing for a while. Never got around to picking this back up afterwards. Can't even remember where I was when I stopped.

Seems like a fun LP so far, gonna be following this. :)

Oh and since it wasn't really that audible in the video, I wanna point out that the main theme music of this game is absofuckinglutely gorgeous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rNbcEPdJEg

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Travis was unavailable for these next two parts, which is a shame since he misses out on one of the most amusing enemies in the game.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Guest editing by Jacob

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Chiming in to say that I'm enjoying the LP.
A quick question: If the farmer is only going dex, why is he using the rapier that is a strength based weapon? Is it the best option you have right now?

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 1, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Right now, probably. It gets replaced with a dex weapon in due time. Part of it might be me thinking it's a dex weapon.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Rapiers are generally considered dex/finesse type weapons in basically every other game I've seen them in so I can totally understand.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I don't think Pubert minds though. After all:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So many dumb quotable lines this episode. For the sake of posterity:

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

ThornBrain posted:

Right now, probably. It gets replaced with a dex weapon in due time. Part of it might be me thinking it's a dex weapon.

That's probably it, because even in the first video, the dagger was doing more damage in addition to being faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

This is probably the best possible LP of the game in terms of being semi-in-character while still being super informative.

• Locked thread