Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

95%, that's not good, wasn't our quota 97%?

(Also, really apparent the commenter hasn't read any other thread here in Games)

Oh, man, Lowtax's is going to pissed productivity in the shitpost mine is slipping. Oh crap...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Gerbil_Pen posted:

In that same interview he mentions how the game is never really finished so...

This discussion is closed, Citizen.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Warhammer 40K is one of the most thematic and flavorful universes in science fiction. Not everyone likes it, but it's unflinchingly epic and awesome.

Every single one of these ships has more thought put into it than anything CIG have shat out.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes. The smallest starship in Warhammer 40K is the size Imperial Star Destroyer and carries tens of thousands of crew. Each vessel is a shrine to the Machine God, most being millennia old and carrying technology that man has long since lost the ability to recreate or even maintain outside the use of byzantine rituals. They are as much cathedrals as they are conveyances. To the men trapped inside the ships represent their only protection again the uncaring void, the unspeakable horrors of the Warp, and the angry fire of their enemies. It's only natural then that such vessels would be decorated in demonstrations of adoration and worship. The crew are typically pressed into service, taken from worlds that may never seen a machine and forced to toil in horrible conditions to ensure the vessel runs smoothly. Imagine work gangs of hundreds of men maneuvering torpedoes hundreds of meters long into firing tubes, while tech priests sing praises and glory in the hope that the Machine Spirit of the torpedo that is likely older than all of the workers combined will rouse itself in fury to detonate its holy payload.

Warhammer 40K is one of the most thematic and flavorful universes in science fiction. Not everyone likes it, but it's unflinchingly epic and awesome.

I think I had about 3 playthroughs of Space Marine just because I liked how it looked and the underlying lore (not necessarily the story).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lime Tonics posted:

Isn't the lore in this game that some ships are so big wars are fought on them, and traveling from one side of the ship to the other takes a lifetime?

The Warp is another dimension that runs parallel to reality, and by traveling through the warp you can cross space far quicker. There's a downside. The Warp is essentially a sea of pure psychic energy, and it's inhabited by unfathomable beings of incomprehensible malice and cruelty. Simply looking into the warp unprotected would drive you mad, and if the fields that protect each ship as they travel are compromised (even for an instant) then daemons will cross the threshold and wreak havoc among the crew. There are numerous stories of ships being lost to the warp, and often those are eventually returned to reality in the form of space hulks. A space hulk is essentially an amalgamation of ships, the interstellar equivalent of the tides of an ocean bringing together a collection of garbage, and actual dimensions are hard to convey. However then can easily be tens of kilometers long and full of twisting corridors and arrangements that make safe travel impossible. You could easily spend a lifetime trying to cross one, although the typical reason for this is because something horrible will kill you along the way.

One of the major themes of 40K is that progress is dead. A gun made ten thousand years ago will typically be far superior to anything that can be made today, so finding a space hulk is often a massive boon. Entire starships have been resurrected from a space hulk and often they carry archaeotech, lost treasures of the Dark Age of Technology, but they also typically carry numerous foes. The most elite members of the Imperium's most elite fighting force, Terminators of the Adeptus Astartes (Space Marines) are often tasks with purging a space hulk and recovering the treasures within.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMHW_cWoeos

It's not an easy job.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Imagine work gangs of hundreds of men maneuvering torpedoes hundreds of meters long into firing tubes, while tech priests sing praises and glory in the hope that the Machine Spirit of the torpedo that is likely older than all of the workers combined will rouse itself in fury to detonate its holy payload.

Last tidbit of WH40k lore : Due to a past AI rebellion, nearly everything is done by hand. Having working electronics onboard is considered a bonus and you have to pay points for it.

If you like PnP RPG look for "Rogue Trader" to play around with those cathedral ships. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/rogue-trader/

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Polish Avenger posted:

I think I had about 3 playthroughs of Space Marine just because I liked how it looked and the underlying lore (not necessarily the story).

I loved the multiplayer in Space Marine, shame it's mostly dead these days.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
AMD FX 8350 plus GeForce GTX 980 x2 in SLI

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40nwbk/i_just_got_the_game_after_much_deliberation_and_i/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

You know if they spent as much time playtesting, reporting bugs, and providing feedback as they did reading my every word and bitching about it the game would've been out last year.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lmao this owns so hard

I want to explain in the thread why this is hilarious but I don't want them to stop making a big deal out of it

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You know if they spent as much time playtesting, reporting bugs, and providing feedback as they did reading my every word and bitching about it the game would've been out last year.
That sounds like something Derek Smart would say.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AMD FX chips are perfect for Star Citizens. Lots of sound and fury, nothing to back it up.

(Also because they are only purchased by idiots)

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

This has been said before, but goddamn if these people aren't all about measuring their e-dicks and feeling important. They could have done this in any game but Crobbers has somehow managed to attract them all to his special brand of the new death.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hey Reddit, the reason why so many detractors sound like Derek Smart to you is that he's (for once) on the side of the sane, rational, and logical crowd. You aren't. It's going to hurt when it sinks in.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

AMD FX chips are perfect for Star Citizens. Lots of sound and fury, nothing to back it up.

(Also because they are only purchased by idiots)
A while back I saw a Star Citizen with an AMD FX-9590 in all of its 220W TDP glory.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

wyoak posted:

people seem to focus on Sandi more than Chris which is weird to me since Chris is most important clown but I guess there's more funny stuff that's leaked about her?

Because Chris impresses me as an easily led, bumbling idiot, where Sandi strikes me as a sociopathic, manipulative type who will enjoy the good times as they run this scam train into the ground?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mirificus posted:

That sounds like something Derek Smart would say.

"Sprinkling of Arrogance" sounds like a perfect name for a starship.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bundle of Keys posted:

This has been said before, but goddamn if these people aren't all about measuring their e-dicks and feeling important.

It's almost as if they equate their pretend land stuff to meaning their real lives aren't sad.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

This thread is a metal silo a thousand feet tall filling with kernels of text and I have titanium shoes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

there is a small game shop that always has people playing WH40k that I like to browse around. Too bad it's inaccessible to people who aren't gods of micro precision painting. I tried painting some Battletech and Flames of War minatures and while I don't think they look awful, I'm sure they're laughable to the WH40k community based on everything I've seen.

oh and they're absurdly expensive there is that!

edit: what I'm saying is I think I'd have fun playing it if I didn't have to dedicate hundreds of dollars and hours to play a game

40K the game and 40K the lore are two totally different things. I used to play the game a lot, and I still have all of my miniatures. The problem is that Games Workshop is a soulless marketing entity that treats their customers with a level of callous disregard and outright loathing that makes CIG seem like Santa Claus. Their game design is simultaneously archaic and maddeningly inconsistent, seemingly prioritized to sell miniatures over make a tight rules set, and it's only really fun if you have a great group of friends who can laugh and drink a beer while taking it easy. I recommend checking out Infinity. It's a ridiculously awesome game. Or at least it was a few years ago when I played it. Some of the sculpts are pretty weird but the rules are great.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

revmoo posted:

Hey Reddit, the reason why so many detractors sound like Derek Smart to you is that he's (for once) on the side of the sane, rational, and logical crowd. You aren't. It's going to hurt when it sinks in.

Sure, whatever you say Derek. :smuggo:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
one day maybe i'll make friends and be able to check it out :)

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Polish Avenger posted:

It's a bummer though that they didn't really do much with the forge world setting. There is some messed up poo poo in the Adeptus Mechanicus.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"Sprinkling of Arrogance" sounds like a perfect name for a starship.

Best starship name for maximum enemy bridge confusion is the S.S. "She's One Of Ours, Sir"

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes. The smallest starship in Warhammer 40K is the size Imperial Star Destroyer and carries tens of thousands of crew. Each vessel is a shrine to the Machine God, most being millennia old and carrying technology that man has long since lost the ability to recreate or even maintain outside the use of byzantine rituals. They are as much cathedrals as they are conveyances.

In the P&P RPG game Rogue Trader, your cathedral-ship can literally bombard planets with churches.

:iia:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

LuiCypher posted:

In the P&P RPG game Rogue Trader, your cathedral-ship can literally bombard planets with churches.

:iia:

After you have pillaged the place of all cultural artefacts and sold the natives to slavery, not before.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

hey you know those giant robots from those anime things? well what if you made them even bigger...and put a castle fortress cathedral on top?

Then you would have Warhammer 40K. What's your point?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

40K the game and 40K the lore are two totally different things. I used to play the game a lot, and I still have all of my miniatures. The problem is that Games Workshop is a soulless marketing entity that treats their customers with a level of callous disregard and outright loathing that makes CIG seem like Santa Claus. Their game design is simultaneously archaic and maddeningly inconsistent, seemingly prioritized to sell miniatures over make a tight rules set, and it's only really fun if you have a great group of friends who can laugh and drink a beer while taking it easy. I recommend checking out Infinity. It's a ridiculously awesome game. Or at least it was a few years ago when I played it. Some of the sculpts are pretty weird but the rules are great.

I still find it funny that they basically burned their other franchise to the ground and pissed on the ashes, because they thought that was a good way to make their fans excited to buy the new models they released when they remade the setting.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Or the better one - http://www.lexicanum.com/

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Stay classy Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/40grez/yet_again_going_on_about_sandi/cyu247a

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Business man. Just business.

I got a personal tour of their miniature production factory in Memphis. They are very well organizesd, very well run, and very open and polite.

My wife and I also got to hang out with Raymond Swanland (codex eldar art guy) and paint with him.

I also got to meet all their factory staff, and training staff, who are all very cool.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The problem is that Games Workshop is a soulless marketing entity that treats their customers with a level of callous disregard and outright loathing that makes CIG seem like Santa Claus. Their game design is simultaneously archaic and maddeningly inconsistent, seemingly prioritized to sell miniatures over make a tight rules set

Replace "miniatures" with "jpegs", and "rules set" with "making a game" and it fits quite well.

I miss the good old days :(

(Hi Beer)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Oh dur, I was wondering why the background was suddenly white instead of grey :downs:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
WH40k lore is cool and it's fun to read about, but it always struck me as having diminishing returns. There's only so many city-sized churches you can throw at a planet before I go zzzzzzzzz. And gently caress playing it on a tabletop.

At the end of the day science fiction should be about the characters.

But as video games or an art style, it's all good. And might as well talk about WH40k spaceships in the internet spaceships thread.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:yikes:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
To be on the safe side...

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT3swdCJrrg

Uncle Derek was raised in the era when
Clean water was only served to the fairer skin
Making games you would have thought he need help
But they wasn't satisfied unless he wrote the code himself
You see it's broke dev racism
That's that "Got more bugs in store"
And this rich Dev racism
That's that "Come in, please buy more.
What you want, a Connie? Freelancer? Mustang?
All you snowflakes want all the same things!"
Used to only be bigwigs, now everybody paying,
Spending errything on lovely X-Wing.
New Whales.

You see there's leaders and there's followers,
But I'd rather be a dick than a swallower.
You see there's leaders and there's followers,
But I'd rather be a dick than a swallower.

I throw these Connie keys
I wear my heart on the sleeve
I know that we the new whales
I see the cash on the wings
I know that we the new whales

They throwing hate at me,
Want me to stay at ease,
gently caress you and your corporations,
Y'all goons can't control me.
I know that we the new whales,
I know that we the new whales.
I'm 'bout to wild the gently caress out,
I'm going Bobby Bootchae!
I know that pussy ain't shaved
You Smart pussies, ain't me.
Y'all throwing contracts at me.
You know that whales can't read.
Throw 'em some Connie keys,
gently caress it, c'est la vie!

I know that we the new Whales.
Y'all goons can't gently caress with me,
Y'all goons can't gently caress with Ben
Y'all goons can't gently caress with Ben
I'll move my family out the country
So you can't see where I've been.

So go and grab the reporters
So I can smash their recorders
See they'll confuse us with some bullshit
Like the New World Order

Meanwhile the FTC
Teamed up with the CAB,
They tryna lock Chris up;
They tryna take the game, B!
See that's Derek's Smart's goons.
Get your peace today!

They prolly all in the forums,
Braggin' 'bout what they paid.
gently caress you and your goony house
I'll gently caress your goony spouse
Came on her goony blouse
And in her goony mouth.

Y'all 'bout to turn poo poo up,
I'm 'bout to tear poo poo down,
I'm 'bout to air poo poo out.
Now what the gently caress the goons say now?

Ravane fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 13, 2016

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

What the gently caress , is that real !!!! disgusting people. Boy are they in for a surprise this year ,

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

Business man. Just business.

I got a personal tour of their miniature production factory in Memphis. They are very well organizesd, very well run, and very open and polite.

My wife and I also got to hang out with Raymond Swanland (codex eldar art guy) and paint with him.

I also got to meet all their factory staff, and training staff, who are all very cool.

That sounds awesome.

richyp posted:

Replace "miniatures" with "jpegs", and "rules set" with "making a game" and it fits quite well.

I miss the good old days :(

(Hi Beer)

Everything loses its luster in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

EightAce posted:

What the gently caress , is that real !!!! disgusting people. Boy are they in for a surprise this year ,
Yes, just click the link?

• Locked thread