Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Buhbuhj posted:

I did it. The alcantara feels great and the stitching looks better in person than I've seen in photos. Flat bottom was the main reason I wanted it because I sit so close to the wheel I need a little more room under it.
Side effect I wasn't expecting was lighter steering feel because the wheel is a few grams lighter than the normal wheel.

Now I just need to get matching shift boot and ebrake cover.

Interesting; how hard was it to swap with all the buttans? (or is there basically a connecter on the column and a connector on the wheel that mate together)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArthurDent
Sep 21, 2003

Today must be Thursday.

El Scotch posted:

Interesting; how hard was it to swap with all the buttans? (or is there basically a connecter on the column and a connector on the wheel that mate together)

Here's a writeup on how to do it http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34155

The part that would make me nervous would be messing with the airbag but if you're confident in what you're doing it looks pretty easy.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

El Scotch posted:

It takes about 5 minutes to swap all the buttons. Theres 8 torx screws you need to remove and then they just pull out. The bolt that holds the wheel onto the column is also really easy to remove. I used a normal breaker bar and then basically just turned it out with my fingers.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
was that a pre-made wheel, you bought somewhere? a Do it yourself? or did you mail your existing wheel someplace to be re-upholstered?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
It's a gt350 wheel from Ford. I ordered mine from LMR.com months ago because it was the cheapest price but you could also get them from cjponyparts.com and what most people do is contact the sales guy at Levitown Ford because they are buying huge amounts and reselling them(for like $100 over what I got mine for).

They were like instantly sold out and out of stock for months and they just recently got more in, but now those are probably all accounted for also. It seems to be a very hot item.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Not a bad deal if you are in the market for one. A 6-speed manual V8 2015 Mustang with only 10k miles and all options. http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ford-Mustang-d2?sourceContext=facebook&showListingId=116451916#listing=116451916'
Savannah, GA. I'm thinking about selling my current one and putting it as a downpayment, but my wife would kill me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Vahakyla posted:

Not a bad deal if you are in the market for one. A 6-speed manual V8 2015 Mustang with only 10k miles and all options. http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ford-Mustang-d2?sourceContext=facebook&showListingId=116451916#listing=116451916'
Savannah, GA. I'm thinking about selling my current one and putting it as a downpayment, but my wife would kill me.
Says cloth seats so its not a premium. Don't see many options on it. I'd be wary of calling that a good deal, new ones aren't that much more expensive and you'd get 50% more warranty miles. Remote start and stick together means you can't trust the options list. Get the actual options list and go from there.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Goddamnit, true. I didn't read the list. Welp.

Related, I wonder how much a premium 6-speed V8 2015 is in 2 years. I hope the priced are near 23-26k.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
So what's the expected life of a rear end pinion seal on a '00 GT? Mine lasted 2 years.

Had to replace the resistor for the vent blower switch too. Now instead of "low, low, low, full blast" I have "low, medium, medium, full blast". Is it normal to only have three fan speeds while there are four positions on the selector?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Joined team DIB last night. I was biding my time and saving, but some guy special ordered exactly what I wanted and walked away. I took that as a sign to just buy the loving thing.

Loving it so far. It's going to take me some time to get used to the sky high clutch engagement point, but other than that it is awesome. It might be a month or two before I even bother turn on the stereo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Thats weird that its sky high. On new edges its pretty drat close to the floor.

I drove my brothers bmw x5 that has a high grab point and it really makes it not enjoyable to drive.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

clutchpuck posted:

So what's the expected life of a rear end pinion seal on a '00 GT? Mine lasted 2 years.

Had to replace the resistor for the vent blower switch too. Now instead of "low, low, low, full blast" I have "low, medium, medium, full blast". Is it normal to only have three fan speeds while there are four positions on the selector?

I had my pinion seal replaced around 10 years/125k miles. It was barely seeping, though.
My '03 has 4 distinctly different blower speeds and I haven't heard of your issue being common.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
OK, kind of backs up my suspicion that the switch itself is effed. We replaced the resistor but replacing the switch itself is a lot of pulling apart the dash so I'll live with 3 speeds for now.

Pinion seal thing concerns me though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bandire posted:

It might be a month or two before I even bother turn on the stereo.
I know what you mean there. These coyotes sounds great.

Premium? 15? 16? Trying to figure out your ai spreadsheet entry.

Clutch does take a bit to get used to. Its not just high, the weight change right at the engagement point is weird.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
You might even turn the stereo back off after you turn it on for the first time.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

ilkhan posted:

I know what you mean there. These coyotes sounds great.

Premium? 15? 16? Trying to figure out your ai spreadsheet entry.

Clutch does take a bit to get used to. Its not just high, the weight change right at the engagement point is weird.

Premium 16.

Cage posted:

Thats weird that its sky high. On new edges its pretty drat close to the floor.

I drove my brothers bmw x5 that has a high grab point and it really makes it not enjoyable to drive.

My 96 Mustang was close to the floor too. I got rid of it in 08 when I bought my Mazda, but that was the last manual I drove with any regularity. The muscle memory is still there, and it is screwing with me big time.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Bandire posted:

Joined team DIB last night. I was biding my time and saving, but some guy special ordered exactly what I wanted and walked away. I took that as a sign to just buy the loving thing.

Loving it so far. It's going to take me some time to get used to the sky high clutch engagement point, but other than that it is awesome. It might be a month or two before I even bother turn on the stereo.

Take the clutch assist spring out, I took mine out 5 miles after buying mine. Best mod I've done so far and it was free.
Makes the clutch feel a little heavier but you can actually feel what its doing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BrownieVK posted:

Take the clutch assist spring out, I took mine out 5 miles after buying mine. Best mod I've done so far and it was free.
Makes the clutch feel a little heavier but you can actually feel what its doing.

I was about to ask if anyone had done this.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

El Scotch posted:

I was about to ask if anyone had done this.
I went out and tried. It was too much of a bitch for me to access the drat thing. I should try again.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
There's sort of a mixed bag of ways to get it out. Some people say they can literally just yank it out with their hands, others use vice grips and pull them out. I couldn't get it out no matter how hard I tried, so what I ended up doing was jamming a screwdriver through the spring and getting leverage on the bar behind it. Pull your face away and yank that fucker out.

Some people are putting softer springs back in because they think the tiny bit of slop at the top of the pedal means something. I don't believe there's any issue with leaving the spring out, though.

stealth edit: While pulling the spring out helped with control, I feel like I got more feel from doing the fluid change and putting in the Steeda mount bushing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

stealth edit: While pulling the spring out helped with control, I feel like I got more feel from doing the fluid change and putting in the Steeda mount bushing.
Details?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

ilkhan posted:

Details?

I guess to elaborate on it a bit, when you pull the spring out the pedal gets a lot heavier but also pretty linear in control. You can sort of feel the bite point but I found all it did was help smooth out upshifts.

Changing the trans fluid I don't think actually has any impact on clutch feel but I did that at the same time as the bushing anyway. I really helped with the notchiness and blehness of the shifts though.

Putting in this did change pedal feel quite a bit. I mainly did it because I heard it helps with the thud but man after I swapped in that bushing and put my foot on the clutch pedal I could tell it had other benefits. You get some vibration through the pedal(I drilled a hole in the middle like they all say to for nvh) but that also means that you can feel any changes in engine speed through the pedal, so it's a lot easier to feel the bite and modulate the pedal. It's def the best bang for your buck mod I've done so far.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I hear the automatics work fine and need no mods. :coolfish:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

frozenphil posted:

Idk I hear quite a few people are unhappy with the shift points and behavior of the auto and have some tuning done to fix it :anime:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Buhbuhj posted:

Idk I hear quite a few people are unhappy with the shift points and behavior of the auto and have some tuning done to fix it :anime:

I can confirm. chipped the transmission points to fix it, added a hammer shifter, and put in a transmission cooler.
next up torque converter, jmod, whatever else to beef it up. That will only happen after all my other suspension mods are done!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

frozenphil posted:

He went there.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Are you sure New Edge clutches engage low? Mine feels like it starts biting about halfway up and progressively bites until the last 10% of dead zone. It has kind of a wide friction zone I guess but it feels high where it should be.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

El Scotch posted:

He went there.

Frozenphil basically lives there.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

clutchpuck posted:

Are you sure New Edge clutches engage low? Mine feels like it starts biting about halfway up and progressively bites until the last 10% of dead zone. It has kind of a wide friction zone I guess but it feels high where it should be.
I feel it within a few inches of lifting, and theres not much clutch travel.

I didn't know that I was driving a car with a short shift kit though until I looked, so who knows what other things the PO did that I don't realize.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

Mine was like this until I removed the quadrant and manually adjusted it low. The quadrant wouldn't adjust it low enough for me, but you could try - have you done that already?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I like it how it is. Could be lighter I guess but can't ask too much from a cable clutch.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I will never drive a lowered car again.

$2000 estimate, not including transmission work that needs to be done, from hitting a lovely pothole patch on I-35. Now to find the shocks and struts I need to raise it back up because it just ain't worth it.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Dealership near me has a GT350 w/ tech package in stock. $83,345

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dislike button posted:

Dealership near me has a GT350 w/ tech package in stock. $83,345

Rooooooooooofl.

I'm on around the Gulf Coast and have been idly looking at dealers all up and down here and found one with only a 5k markup, in stock. All the others that showed up with a GT350 were just "On order" and had no price other than MSRP listed.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The 20k markups are very real

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The guy that sold me my car on Monday was almost bragging that their 10k markup was the lowest is the Dallas area.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

Changing the trans fluid I don't think actually has any impact on clutch feel but I did that at the same time as the bushing anyway. I really helped with the notchiness and blehness of the shifts though.

Putting in this did change pedal feel quite a bit. I mainly did it because I heard it helps with the thud but man after I swapped in that bushing and put my foot on the clutch pedal I could tell it had other benefits. You get some vibration through the pedal(I drilled a hole in the middle like they all say to for nvh) but that also means that you can feel any changes in engine speed through the pedal, so it's a lot easier to feel the bite and modulate the pedal. It's def the best bang for your buck mod I've done so far.
Which trans fluid did you put in? I'm looking to change mine to something that will feel better, especially on cold mornings.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I put in the Royal Purple Syncromax. Feels a lot better on cold mornings but 5th still feels like pushing a rod through rocks sometimes. That might just be the shifter and not the trans though, MGW is on my list of things to do in the spring.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm kind of surprised how well adaptive cruise control works with the 6 speed. I was expecting it to barely function, but it is drat near autopilot. It has no trouble speeding up in 6th gear or slowing down as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I will never drive a lowered car again.

$2000 estimate, not including transmission work that needs to be done, from hitting a lovely pothole patch on I-35. Now to find the shocks and struts I need to raise it back up because it just ain't worth it.
What all got damaged?

My mustang is stock height, but I still feel like it's too low after switching back from my lifted Jeep.

If only I could make the Jeep as fast as the mustang ....