Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012

aleksendr posted:

If lowtax is willing to give a part of the process to your legal fee i'm totally buying you an Avatar.

:shrug: If it actually ends up in a court room I don't think the costs would be much more than what I gave CIG, but that would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012

AP posted:

Did you send them a letter before action by recorded post? Where any of your purchases after June 2014?

No, I just emailed them and told them what I was going to do. I said I considered that my emails constituted pre-action protocol, and they responded and didn't disagree. All my purchases were under the old refund TOS.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

wikidd posted:

:shrug: If it actually ends up in a court room I don't think the costs would be much more than what I gave CIG, but that would be cool.
The negative publicity might end up costing them more.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Derek smart Derek smart Derek smart

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

wikidd posted:

this is the guy taking you to space court btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mhyO26bVVw

Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

this is me IRL, if you need representation my standard fee is 2 jpegs

I only have this jpeg, but it's smiling and I made it myself. Will it do?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

wikidd posted:

No, I just emailed them and told them what I was going to do. I said I considered that my emails constituted pre-action protocol, and they responded and didn't disagree. All my purchases were under the old refund TOS.

If you send them a letter before action they'll fold and you'll get your money back, read how to follow the process correctly and put a bit of effort into the letter. You need to demonstrate that they hadn't fulfilled their end of the contract, although you'll probably win if they're really serious about going to court (I don't believe for a second they are), if you put some effort in, it's a more sure thing if any of your purchases were after June 2014 as the law changed.

I don't believe you can proceed to small claims without a letter before action, maybe an email counts now, I dunno. Ring Citizen's advice, they'll help, but if they tell you to send a normal letter before the letter before action, don't bother as no point.

AP fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 13, 2016

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Derek smart please allow this man full access to legal for free, thanks

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

A Neurotic Jew posted:

That's one hardcore gamer dude

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Shitizens annoy me.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Shitizens annoy me.
I once threw a plastic easter egg full of dog poop at a shirtless man washing his camaro

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Vitamin P posted:

this is me IRL, if you need representation my standard fee is 2 jpegs
I feel like this kind of lawsuit could make my career, so I would be willing to take this case for 1.5 jpegs.

also

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's one hardcore gamer dude

his favourite movie is das boot (which he worked on), and favourite game is star citizen (which he worked on)

Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I wonder how much smoked salmon and caviar he can buy for $200?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Eonwe posted:

You already are a goon

You post on SA

That's the maximum level of being a goon!!!!

I didn't choose the goon life, the goon life chose me!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/going-to-court/going-to-court/taking-court-action/step-one-write-a-letter-before-action/

quote:

If going to court is your only option, you must send the trader a formal letter before action (or letter before claim) to give them one last chance to settle the matter. You'll need to send a letter before action even if you have already written to the trader about the problem.

You have to send a letter, they don't think you are serious as you can't be serious because you didn't send a letter.....

Also you're in the EU, their TOS is absolutely and completely worthless, there's no point even reading it.

AP fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 13, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

something mighty depressing about that chair but I can't quite put my finger on it

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Just when i had this feeling we where hitting a crest before throttling back the first hint of lawsuit fill the thread, like bacon sizzling on a saturday morning.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

That looks like the most uncomfortable chair ever dang

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Derek sue the guy that made that chair

Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012

AP posted:

If you send them a letter before action they'll fold and you'll get your money back, read how to follow the process correctly and put a bit of effort into the letter. You need to demonstrate that they hadn't fulfilled their end of the contract, although you'll probably win if they're really serious about going to court (I don't believe for a second they are), if you put some effort in, it's a more sure thing if any of your purchases were after June 2014 as the law changed.

I don't believe you can proceed to small claims without a letter before action, maybe an email counts now, I dunno. Ring Citizen's advice, they'll help, but if they tell you to send a normal letter before the letter before action, don't bother as no point.

I think an email counts. I think the fact I emailed them and they acknowledged it means they can't now claim I didn't follow the correct pre-action protocol.

I'm not going to bother with Citizens Advice; getting an appointment with them or calling them sounds like a pain. This small claims lark doesn't seem much more complicated than employment tribunals, which I know a fair bit about already.

Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012

AP posted:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/going-to-court/going-to-court/taking-court-action/step-one-write-a-letter-before-action/

You have to send a letter, they don't think you are serious as you can't be serious because you didn't send a letter.....

Also you're in the EU, their TOS is absolutely and completely worthless, there's no point even reading it.

The emails I sent them clearly indicated they were pre-action. CIG actually has a service email address for legal claims too; I think I got the pre-action stuff right.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

wikidd posted:

I think an email counts. I think the fact I emailed them and they acknowledged it means they can't now claim I didn't follow the correct pre-action protocol.

I'm not going to bother with Citizens Advice; getting an appointment with them or calling them sounds like a pain. This small claims lark doesn't seem much more complicated than employment tribunals, which I know a fair bit about already.

Please, please, please ,please take your time and do everything by the book and checking it twice. This is the most interesting thing in the thread along with Sandi Meltdown, Bootcha great escape and uncle Derek rrants.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if they are seriously going to bother with this great of a length to dispute a $200 refund, they must be financially not looking so crash hot.

it's kind of terrifying and exhilarating to see the multiple-thousand-dollar backers lurking on the horizon. eventually they'll realise what they've bought into and the level of fury and indignation will be colossal

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

wikidd posted:

Well maybe I dunno but good luck, if it's of any use to you, I'd make sure to include that they misrepresented the terms of the contract and the description of the goods has been inaccurate. For Misrepresentation & Sale of Goods.

Also make sure to hit them for the filing fee plus interest, I think at 8%.

Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012

aleksendr posted:

Please, please, please ,please take your time and do everything by the book and checking it twice. This is the most interesting thing in the thread along with Sandi Meltdown, Bootcha great escape and uncle Derek rrants.

OK, I'll try my best. I'm off to bed now though!

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

wikidd posted:

The emails I sent them clearly indicated they were pre-action. CIG actually has a service email address for legal claims too; I think I got the pre-action stuff right.

Dude, no, with anything legal, get EVERYTHING as nailed down as you can. Otherwise they'll have an excuse not to reply and/or throw out your claim. Do whatever it takes to protect yourself.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
thats him in the wooden lawn chair

:shrug:

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011

This is so exciting :allears:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

I see no welded on buttplugs 3/10 :colbert:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Feel free to photoshop this or use it anyway you want (if you want) :
http://imgur.com/D2KfuAo

Gonna use this in a video. I would've pm'd you but you don't have messages.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

The Meat Dimension posted:

Gonna use this in a video. I would've pm'd you but you don't have messages.

By all means feel free to use it, no problem.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
We're finally getting space court.

Since before CitCon in October, this has been the best thread in forums history. And there's so much more hilarity to come before they spit out the malformed lump that will be SQ 42. We may even get another bathroom door update!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
From a quick google, the reason you don't send a letter before action via email is that even if they reply and you print the reply, they can say they didn't receive it and say they didn't send the reply. You're then a bit hosed trying to prove they did.

With a recorded letter, you have the royal mail tracking slip and proof of delivery.

AP fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 13, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

SPACE COURT!

Well okay not really space court yet, but all this over $200? Cripes.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Send the letter, get a refund.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

That's nice, you can just slide the poop bucket right under the chair and never have to get up.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

wikidd posted:

About a billion pages ago I mentioned I was taking CIG to small claims court here in the UK to get my refund. I just got notice they are defending the claim(!!); some guy called Ortwin Freyermuth, who is a director of CIG, signed off on the action. An hour of that guy's time must be worth more than the money I gave them.

Lol.

A thread full of Derek Smart's are rooting for you. Good luck goon, let us know how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I used to have a chair that looked just like this when you took the cushion off. It was basically a fouton that folded down into a twin bed. Well, that's my story.

• Locked thread