Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Groogy posted:

Wouldn't be Paradox game if there was fancy tools.

How are you guys doing this in the Clausewitz engine, by the way? Is the procedural generation thing like what you used to make the random New World in EUIV? What does the provinces.bmp file look like after you've generated a new galaxy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The answer is probably that provinces aren't part of the engine. Back when they started working on the RPG using the engine people were all confused until they pointed out that Clausewitz really has nothing to do with the gameplay mechanics of their games, just the graphics, controls, script file parsing and loading, etc.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Yeah, there's no provinces file as such, instead there's rules about how systems are generated plus some custom system scripting, e.g. for Sol.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

But it will be possible to set up pre-defined scenario maps? Thinking mostly for modding.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah they said it would be.

Here's the dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-16-colony-events.901906/

I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Let's be real. Nobody is ever going to click the second option.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

It's there for when an AI empire gets the event, there is a chance they don't unleash a plague of death and destruction every single time.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
All that will come out is the Lone Wanderer, who starts off fairly insignificant but if left alone will become the Avatar of Death that can crush entire empires if befrended or do the same to you if angered.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 11, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

If the RNG hands you five deadly vault plagues in a row you might not click it a sixth time.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

vyelkin posted:

If the RNG hands you five deadly vault plagues in a row you might not click it a sixth time.

This time it might be different!!

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

If Stellaris comes with a good map editor I'll be spending stupid amount of time building scenarios. Hopefully modding won't be confined to editing text files.

One of the strengths of the Clausewitz engine (and also its predecessor(s)) is how much of it is compiled from text files as the engine initializes. This makes it incredibly moddable. Compare the moddability of EU4 / CK2 to pretty much any other game out there and realize this is a blessing.

If notepad++ isn't an expressive enough tool, there are tools you can write to live on top of that layer, but Paradox' fans benefit more from every hour they spend extracting some mechanic into a moddable text file than every hour they spend building authorship tools.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
They should at least provide some debugging info because sometimes the engine's behaviour is just bizarre.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Riso posted:

They should at least provide some debugging info because sometimes the engine's behaviour is just bizarre.

Yes, definitely.

Well, there is some already, but there are plenty of errors that produce no informative message. It looks like there are plenty of uncaught exceptions, possibly because any dev working on the engine would look at that case and think "there's no way someone's that stupid". I will disappoint you.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I seem to recall they mentioned they were adding some improved debugging capabilities for HOI4, so hopefully instead of just getting hard crashes so much you'll just be seeing Debug Dog instead.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Autonomous Monster posted:

If HOI3 pre-orders are a free rub on the Paradox genie lamp I'll take that majestic Turing portrait, tia.

I'll take an alt-history event where the meeting between William Lyon Mackenzie King and Hitler results in Canada joining the Nazi Reich.

Okay I'll take any Canadian related event, i don't care anymore

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Have any of you tried the magical -debug command line argument? In CK2 it turns on something I made a few years ago called script asserts, will make the scripts run a bit slower but it will output to he error log the exact piece of code that failed when it tried to execute the trigger/effect and sometimes even have a informative message on what went wrong.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Groogy posted:

Have any of you tried the magical -debug command line argument? In CK2 it turns on something I made a few years ago called script asserts, will make the scripts run a bit slower but it will output to he error log the exact piece of code that failed when it tried to execute the trigger/effect and sometimes even have a informative message on what went wrong.

Whoa, that's super useful and I wish I'd known about it the last time I was making a mod. :v:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

Empress Theonora posted:

Whoa, that's super useful and I wish I'd known about it the last time I was making a mod. :v:

Goddammit groogy

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
As usual, actual useful information for modding is not available without digging. Sticky that in the mod forum together with the other stuff! Or the FAQ area. Somewhere visible at least!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Riso posted:

As usual, actual useful information for modding is not available without digging. Sticky that in the mod forum together with the other stuff! Or the FAQ area. Somewhere visible at least!

Think I did that one point long time ago, I know AGOT and EK uses it at least. Korbah usually complains that the errors aren't descriptive enough. Essentially it just outputs something like this:

code:
Script Assert failed: Scope.GetCharacter()->IsValid() && "Not correct scope set in HasOpinionModifierTrigger"
triggered in event: some_event.1

Groogy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 11, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Groogy posted:

Dibujante posted:

Goddammit groogy

Both "-debug" and "-debugscripts" add extra script logging to CK2 (one of them was even in the changelog when it was introduced) and they have been godsends but frankly I've never been sure which does what, and I don't remember seeing anything quite that exact in the logs but possibly I haven't been looking in the right place.

What's been more useful is being able to include logging in events and CBs so it's easier to see when some hypercomplicated event chain goes off the rails. But all in all CK2 is much nicer about access debug logging than it USED to be, phew.

edit: oh, okay, THAT script assert log. That was in the changelog for the patch that introduced it, and I had high hopes for it but it would be a lot more useful if it wasn't swamped with weird false-positive assert failures every time you manipulate variables in some mysterious way that the game itself seems to handle fine but the assert tracker doesn't like.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 11, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Oh this is so long time ago I had to look up how it worked again. The script asserts are enabled by running -debugscripts when you launch the game (through a shortcut or cmd.exe) and will make it output the errors to logs/error.log

Why you haven't seen it Dallan is probably because I think that the script rarely fails now days. I've made the language smart enough recently to deduce types/objects itself. So if you give it a title and the trigger/effect wants a character it will automatically convert it into the owner of the title. It can still happen on some occasions where it can't deduce it like if you use an unknown modifier with the has_character_modifier trigger, then it should output something in style with:

code:
Assert failed for 'has_character_modifier': _pModifier && "Unknown modifier"
Previous assert occured in Event '9999'
And no, these are never false positive, if these asserts popup, then that specific execution of the script failed. In case of triggers it means the trigger will always result in false value for instance.

e: Yes I just noticed I've misspelled occured, :dealwithit:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 11, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Groogy posted:

Wow, gosh, I wish I'd known this existed when I was making a mod! That would've saved a lot of headache!!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Groogy posted:

Wouldn't be Paradox game if there was fancy tools.

Well you've improved as a studio for so many years, why stop now?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Dreylad posted:

I'll take an alt-history event where the meeting between William Lyon Mackenzie King and Hitler results in Canada joining the Nazi Reich.

Okay I'll take any Canadian related event, i don't care anymore

Things happened in Canada after the War of 1812? Huh. Who knew.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

ZombieLenin posted:

Things happened in Canada after the War of 1812? Huh. Who knew.

Yeah, Michael J. Fox was born.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Canada's contribution to the world is celeberties whose career's peaked in the mid 80s to 90s.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I seem to recall they mentioned they were adding some improved debugging capabilities for HOI4, so hopefully instead of just getting hard crashes so much you'll just be seeing Debug Dog instead.

Why not the Debug Duck? :3:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Canada's contribution to the world is celeberties whose career's peaked in the mid 80s to 90s.Nickelback

If there was any reason to invade Canada during WWII, it would be to prevent that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

America consistently takes our best comedians and our worst musicians.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

now I'm imagining a paradox developer explain the victoria 2 code to a real life dog.

the dog starts whining and howling when they get to the economy

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Dreylad posted:

now I'm imagining a paradox developer explain the victoria 2 code to a real life dog.

the dog starts whining and howling when they get to the economy

I don't think mortal minds were meant to comprehend it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
:siren:Finland is the sole legitimate successor to Rome. :siren:

CONFIRMED

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Riso posted:

CONFIRMED

As Finland, we receive several bonuses...

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Wait why is the Soviet Union illegitimate?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It's Senatus POPULUSQUE Romanus

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Riso posted:

CONFIRMED

Second Golden Horde at most.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
See, this is the problem. The USSR died, and we don't know what succession law they had. Presumably every one of his children has a claim, but only one got the title. But did it go by primogeniture? Ultimogeniture? Elective? Seniority? Unlikely to be open, since they weren't muslim, but who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Enjoy posted:

Wait why is the Soviet Union illegitimate?
False religion, just like the Ottomans.