Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I would definitely err' on the side of choosing equipment that is going to be more generally useful than specific at character gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been super busy all weekend, we had a power outage and then social engagements and now I'm catching up on football. But I will give my sheet close scrutiny hopefully tonight or failing that, tomorrow morning for sure.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
I am extremely drunk right now so I will do this tomarrow. My first divination roll on the face of it seems better for my purposes, tomarrow evening I'll do the other things.

EDIT: Subtlety is out ability to work as a group without being obviously inquisition yes?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

AcidRonin posted:

EDIT: Subtlety is out ability to work as a group without being obviously inquisition yes?

Pretty much yes. It's kind of a combination of how your characters are equipped and how you approach in game situations (with a scale of 'kick in the door kill them all and let the Emperor sort them out' on one end vs 'strictly observe and report and don't ever confront face to face' on the other). It's important to note that most imperial citizens don't tool around in power armor toting storm bolters for milk runs so generally speaking the bigger and flashier weapons and armor you get the harder it becomes to hide your backing. As far as subelty goes, we'd probably be in the 40-50 range or so since while we would stand out as being unusually well armed we're still reasonably equipped for the professions we came from. In addition to that, our approach is probably generally going to be to do some basic fact finding before we reach the ultimate endgoal of blasting the obviously guilty and sparing the obviously innocent.

Also it's probably fair to say that I will be the most distinctly unsubtle character in the group and my presence will probably tank our subtlety by about 10 points. :v:

Edit: I just found the greatest dumb thing in the armory for Enemies Within. The Flail of Chastisement.

It's basically a low tech category bladed whip that does a staggering 1d10+8 damage pen 2 although with Primitive(8). It's got Snare(2) meaning once you hit an enemy it wraps around them and holds them helpless unless they succeed a full round -20 agility test to break free. In addition it's also got crippling(2) as long as the enemy is bound in it, meaning any full round action (like trying to escape it) automatically does 2 damage ignoring armor or toughness. It's also Flexible so it can't be parried at all. This would be a good hostile capture tool if you can avoid killing them outright with that massive damage. If they struggle they'll just draw themselves slowly into critical damage where they will either take big fatigue hits and go unconscious or lose a limb and go unconscious until we stabilize and black bag him.

If we wanted to get double super extra dumb with it: It's also Rare Availability so Eadian can take it as one of his starting requisitions. I would almost expect DJF to veto that though because it seems almost brokenly good.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 11, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you want to get super extra dumb with it you take two of them, because they're inexplicably one-handed

my initial suspicion was that the flail of chastisement has had its stats swapped with the electro-flail, and looking at the errata it nearly has:

but of course you can still whip people, tangle them up, and then wander off to whip more people with no problem

subtlety post forthcoming, as mentioned

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

if you want to get super extra dumb with it you take two of them, because they're inexplicably one-handed

my initial suspicion was that the flail of chastisement has had its stats swapped with the electro-flail, and looking at the errata it nearly has:

but of course you can still whip people, tangle them up, and then wander off to whip more people with no problem

subtlety post forthcoming, as mentioned

Eh, if you go off the errata then you can't take it as a starting req anymore anyways because they up it to Very Rare.

Probably for the best, that weapon seemed super ridiculous especially if you put it in the hands of a feral worlder where the primitive trait would of been replaced with Proven (3)

Now that I think of it: A feral worlder who dual wields bullwhips would be kind of funny as a character concept. Granted melee weapons with a 3m range isn't the most super handy thing in the world but it'd be handy for someone you were unable to charge due to cover or elevation differences.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 11, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that isn't a character concept, unless you plan to play Jeremy Whipman, the whipper, who raises whippets. that's a combat style.

anyway: Influence and Subtlety

quote:

Influence represents an Acolyte’s reputation, connections, resources, and other factors that allow him to obtain desired results from the citizens and institutions of the Imperium. The higher a character’s Influence, the better he is able to exert control over others, and hence the easier it is for him to get items delivered, services performed, and other actions taken at his request. All Acolytes start with a certain amount of Influence, which they can increase through gameplay.

Influence is the one stat that you can't increase through spending XP; you can set it at chargen but you can only modify it through your actions. You use influence to make Influence Tests. You basically make these when you want things from people!

• Requisitions - when you want items or services, you have to procure them.
  • Social interactions - you don't need to use Influence when interacting with people, as you can Charm, Deceive, Intimidate etc. with no reputational backup. Depending on context, though, it can make your life a lot easier if you bring your personal, professional, or Inquisitorial clout to bear - however, depending on the context in which you wield your influence, you can also negatively impact Subtlety.
  • Investigations - kind of a synthesis of the above two. If you want to hire hive-gangers to scour a habfloor to look for a spent bolt casing, or if you need access to the Arbite labs, you'll need to apply some Influence. Again, the context in which you wield your Influence can make your roll easier, at the cost of Subtlety.

You can gain Influence by making useful connections, getting people into your debt, finding a large amount of ready money, or being known to have performed impressive deeds.

You can lose Influence by seriously failing up Influence tests, by spending 1d5 Influence to auto-succeed on an Influence test, by summoning reinforcement characters, or by being known to have hosed up important tasks.

You can, in extremis, use your Inquisitor's influence. This is likely to be somewhere in the region of double your own, but using it will automatically dock your Subtlety, and if you don't have a very good explanation for why you need to do it, well...

quote:

Subtlety represents how secretive or overt the Acolytes are in their behaviour as they prosecute an investigation. Subtlety ranges from 0–100 and can be used as the basis for a test, just like a characteristic. Unlike characteristics, there is a single Subtlety value for the warband of Acolytes, which the GM tracks in secret, so that the players never know exactly what their Subtlety score is. The higher the Acolytes’ Subtlety is, the less their enemies and potential allies know of their actions. The more their Subtlety decreases, the more transparent their actions become and the more others know. Inquisitors and their Acolytes take many different approaches to accomplish their duties, and a high Subtlety is not necessarily better. While many Inquisitors prefer to move unseen throughout the Imperium, the better to take their enemies by surprise, some operate openly, trusting in the populace’s fear of the Inquisition to smoke out the heretics amongst them. High and low Subtlety both have benefits and drawbacks, depending on the situation and the Acolytes’ methods.

Subtlety is a party stat, and boils down to "how well can we operate without drawing undue attention". It's not "does anyone know we're the Inquisition" - it is "does anyone know we're a well-armed band of murderhobos". You start with a Subtlety of 50.

Rules as written you are encouraged to do Subtlety rolls to see whether a given encounter knows you're coming - I will not be doing this, as it's ridiculous, and gives a 20% chance of a Subtlety 80 party of ghosts being ambushed. Instead, I will just look at your Subtlety score and figure out what's appropriate, based on their paranoia and capability. A chemmed-out gang may only start taking you seriously round about the 20 mark, whereas a paranoid spymaster might need somewhere in the 70s to catch entirely unawares.

You gain Subtlety by misdirection (i.e. lying, cover stories, disguises), by stealth, by generally keeping a low profile, or, where appropriate, by silencing any witnesses that can tie you to the horrible things you've done. So long as no-one identifies you, a bank robbery can be perfectly subtle.

You lose Subtlety by making a big deal of yourselves. Requisitioning rare kit, using your influence to coerce people into doing things, traipsing around in public with unnatural levels of ordnance, using rare and easily-identifiable weapons, combat in populated areas, etc. Even if no-one knows that you specifically have done a series of bloody killings, the heightened awareness and raised tensions make it a lot harder to work from the shadows.

As you start tending towards the extremes of high or low Subtlety, certain skills get easier because of your c/overtness. As examples:

When a covert/overt skill test becomes apparent, you can ask for a Subtlety test; if you pass, Overt skills get -20, Covert skills get +20. If you fail, Overt skills get +20, Covert skills get -20.

I will notify you in-game when and why your subtlety changes, but you won't get figures. You can also try and work out your approximate Subtlety score by spending some time on it and doing some appropriate skill rolls - e.g. Inquiry, "have you heard about this gang of badasses??", Security ("What's the Arbites got on us??"), Stealth (trailing people), etc.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

that isn't a character concept, unless you plan to play Jeremy Whipman, the whipper, who raises whippets. that's a combat style.

You know if you ever host another pbp I'm going to try and submit that as a character now, right?

Drafting up another fluffpost on my character's thoughts on the others currently.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Barry "The Bull" Bulworth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECyfX1OR_nk

The Courier Servitor demanded my signature on a dataslate before it would release the packages, an array of servos pulsing in a dull thrum. As soon as it had what it wanted it spilled a small wooden crate and a sealed manila envelope unceremoniously on the ground and began whirling off to it's next destination, oblivious to anything other than it's duty.

I place both packages on my bunk and open the envelope first. In it contained a series of dossiers both on where I'm going once we translate back to realspace and also on a handful of people. My new partners apparently. The inquisition normally works in cells but I figured there would be some more structure to how teams are decided. Everything shrouded in mystery I guess. I take my time and light up a smoke before I begin to flip through the documents.

Ignatius Maulbau was a man who's known privilege most of his life. A noble family acting as Rogue Traders in all but name and Warrant, the man carried a natural talent with the gift of gab. The notes show his family was press-ganged into the Navy during a doomed sector defense, but he was not only able to leverage his way into a command position over the family patriarch, he was able to escape shortly before his position was overran. The guy is smart, but also opportunistic. I wonder if he's here by choice, otherwise I could see him jumping ship as soon as his duty is no longer convenient.

Eadian Valarius was another noble, his particular brand of privilege allowed him the opportunity to turn to intelligence instead of a navy man like Ignatius. He has a knack for finding secrets and things one ought to not know. By all accounts the guy was a desk jockey and while very good at his job, it seems unusual that they would send such a bookworm to do field work. Any reason for that action has been redacted, my best guess is internal politics. I reckon if he hadn't been highborne he probably would of had a highly successful career as a fence.

Aperta Ignavus is a mechanicus attache and like most mechanicus comes with several peculiar habits. The guy decided he didn't like the skull he was born with, so he got himself a new one but better. It seems as though he's a competent pilot though so I can't fault him for that. Every mechanicus I've ever had to deal with seemed to be emotionally stunted in some way or another so I guess I have to take the good with the bad. I just hope he doesn't make me address him through the skull. Those things give me the creeps.

Speaking of the creeps, my benefactors apparently have decided that we are to be paired with a psyker. The one we got is only known as Gamma, which turned out to be some sort of psuedoname given to her from the naval engine room they apparently drug her out of. Can't say I'm thrilled to be working with her, in fact more the opposite given the stories I've heard of what happens when they go rogue. I guess it takes a mutant to find a mutant though. If she turns ruinous then that's a bridge we'll have to cross at that point.

At the bottom of the documents was a file marked Bulwarth, Barry. It didn't take much looking through my own record to understand why I was to be included in this merry band of misfits. I was the only one with any significant dealings in projecting violence upon others. I'm the heavy, the enforcer, here to inflict grievous harm upon whomever catches our ire. The harbinger of doom to the heretics who would do harm to the Imperium. I had no illusion as to why they picked me.

The last document in the courier slip was a short letter addressed to me, the handwriting all in pretty curves. It didn't take long to figure out who it was from.

quote:

So glad you decided to help the cause, it would of been a drat shame if I had to do anything to that pretty face of yours. Word on the street was that the Fenwarth cartels had hitmen placed on all the Rogue Trader ships heading out of system before they learned of your unfortunate passing. There was a man on this ship looking for you as a matter of fact. Rumor was he was last seen leaving one of the upscale watering holes on the ship with an exceedingly well dressed woman not long after the ship embarked. He must of took a wrong turn though, because he wandered into a maintenance access hallway during routine diagnostics and due to an unfortunate accident was flushed into the void.

Working with us has it's rewards as you'll see. For example. did you know they were going to bury you with your old gear for your Arbites 'funeral'? I took the liberty of relieving them of a few items. Hope you enjoy it.

-L

I had to give it to the woman, Lucile loves what she does. I've not seen the Brick Shithouse after our initial meeting nor even learned his name, but Lucile seems to be keeping tabs on me now. She seems to relish toying with people and it wouldn't surprise me if she reveled in the violence of her duties nearly as much.

I go to open the crate. Inside the unadorned wooden were relics from my own violent past, casting a reflection in my mind like a bad case of Déjà vu. My old Arbites armor was hardly recognizable from what it was. Lucile must of had someone do some modifications. All the identifying Arbites markers had been removed and any excess padding removed to make it easier to throw a long coat over it. The armor itself was dyed a flat grey and would now pass as something a nobleman's bodyguard would wear. She must of come to the same conclusion that I did about my comrades and decided having something to protect myself would prove useful in the long run.

A warning clarion rung out, signifying the ship was about to translate back to realspace. I'll have just enough time to get changed before I need to catch my shuttle out.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 12, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Okay! I have time and inclination to do this character sheet stuff. I have some immediate questions:

-What does the Jaded talent do? And, if I take the 07 Divination result, am I getting Jaded from it, or did I already have it and I get WP +2 instead?
-What is a typical Awareness test difficulty? Being able to reroll it to avoid being surprised is great if it's normally a really tough roll, but if it's just a base roll vs. Per, maybe it's no big deal to get a reroll, since I'll definitely be putting some points into Per anyway.
-I assume my Aptitudes came from my background/homeworld/role. Are any of these swappable? Like, since it looks like I got Fellowship twice, and you put in Intelligence instead, was that a choice or was it a mandatory pick if I already had Fellowship?
What do all these Aptitudes do, anyway? Just bump up my base Characteristics by +5 each? If so, why are Fel and Inf starting at 30 for me? And, what's Finesse, Offence, and Social doing?
-Are my Wounds and Fate rolls good, or bad? What's the average amount of wounds and fate points?
-Are my Weapons mandatory picks, or just suggestions? I like the basic autopistol pick, but I don't know about the shock maul, which it seems is being supported by a spend in Talents. I think I'm going to want to have a stiletto and the skill to use it - I see that as more of an agility weapon than a strength one - but maybe shock is good too, for a melee weapon that bypasses armor. Would the shock maul be a very typical weapon for someone trying to keep a low profile, or is it showy? How big is a shock maul, anyway?
-Mesh Cloak seems fine. I'm thinking it's worn beneath clothing so it's subtle. Should I get some kind of head protection, and if so, is there something that wouldn't make me stand out as unusual in normal urban settings, including both in scummy bars and back alleyways, and when mingling with the hoi paloi?
-I'm not sure my character would know a xenos language. If he does, it'd probably be Ork, since the Orks were invading his home system, but maybe something else. Am I spending a Skills pick on this? If so, I might go with something else.
-Operate - definitely Aeronautica. My character is a voidborn guy who has spent way more time in space than on planet surfaces. Again though, is this using up a skill choice?
-I definitely like Scrutiny, Commerce, and the Lore pick. I might be interested in additional Lore - something to do with his background in the Navy, with the Administratum, or both...? I might also be interested in some kind of illicit substances type lore, like, skill with illegal drugs, is there a chym thing?
-Are my Talent picks open for adjustment? Ignatius has spent most of his career working alone, so I'm not sure Double Team is his style, even though it'd obviously be helpful in this case. Is there a list of Talents I could skim from?
-I like Sway the Masses and Breeding Counts, they're perfect. Not as sure about Inured to the Xenos. Ignatius knows about the Xenos, to some degree, but would he have actually met any? Do I have other options here?
-What's an Auspex do?
-Once I have the above covered I'll definitely buy some advances, and come up with an equipment wishlist for you guys to help me price out.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Leperflesh posted:

Okay! I have time and inclination to do this character sheet stuff. I have some immediate questions:

-What does the Jaded talent do? And, if I take the 07 Divination result, am I getting Jaded from it, or did I already have it and I get WP +2 instead?
-What is a typical Awareness test difficulty? Being able to reroll it to avoid being surprised is great if it's normally a really tough roll, but if it's just a base roll vs. Per, maybe it's no big deal to get a reroll, since I'll definitely be putting some points into Per anyway.
-I assume my Aptitudes came from my background/homeworld/role. Are any of these swappable? Like, since it looks like I got Fellowship twice, and you put in Intelligence instead, was that a choice or was it a mandatory pick if I already had Fellowship?
What do all these Aptitudes do, anyway? Just bump up my base Characteristics by +5 each? If so, why are Fel and Inf starting at 30 for me? And, what's Finesse, Offence, and Social doing?
-Are my Wounds and Fate rolls good, or bad? What's the average amount of wounds and fate points?
-Are my Weapons mandatory picks, or just suggestions? I like the basic autopistol pick, but I don't know about the shock maul, which it seems is being supported by a spend in Talents. I think I'm going to want to have a stiletto and the skill to use it - I see that as more of an agility weapon than a strength one - but maybe shock is good too, for a melee weapon that bypasses armor. Would the shock maul be a very typical weapon for someone trying to keep a low profile, or is it showy? How big is a shock maul, anyway?
-Mesh Cloak seems fine. I'm thinking it's worn beneath clothing so it's subtle. Should I get some kind of head protection, and if so, is there something that wouldn't make me stand out as unusual in normal urban settings, including both in scummy bars and back alleyways, and when mingling with the hoi paloi?
-I'm not sure my character would know a xenos language. If he does, it'd probably be Ork, since the Orks were invading his home system, but maybe something else. Am I spending a Skills pick on this? If so, I might go with something else.
-Operate - definitely Aeronautica. My character is a voidborn guy who has spent way more time in space than on planet surfaces. Again though, is this using up a skill choice?
-I definitely like Scrutiny, Commerce, and the Lore pick. I might be interested in additional Lore - something to do with his background in the Navy, with the Administratum, or both...? I might also be interested in some kind of illicit substances type lore, like, skill with illegal drugs, is there a chym thing?
-Are my Talent picks open for adjustment? Ignatius has spent most of his career working alone, so I'm not sure Double Team is his style, even though it'd obviously be helpful in this case. Is there a list of Talents I could skim from?
-I like Sway the Masses and Breeding Counts, they're perfect. Not as sure about Inured to the Xenos. Ignatius knows about the Xenos, to some degree, but would he have actually met any? Do I have other options here?
-What's an Auspex do?
-Once I have the above covered I'll definitely buy some advances, and come up with an equipment wishlist for you guys to help me price out.

-Jaded makes you immune to non-warp-related fear. It's very good but generally speaking at the level we're playing at there's only a few things that'll cause it.

-Typically awareness is a contested roll vs stealth to detect hidden people or ambushes. All in all you would probably roll vs awareness more often than Willpower vs fear, but the fear roll will be a pretty huge loving deal if you fail it generally.

-Aptitudes are based on home planet, background and career. Any duplicate aptitudes let you change one of said aptitudes to a characteristic based one (so int, toughness, weapon skill, that sort of thing) DJF went with int to fit in better with your character bio. Aptitudes don't give you bonus stats, but they make skills and talents based on them cost less exp to take. Each advance you can take has two attributes associated with it, with one generally being a characteristic based one and the other being more general broad categories like defense, knowledge, fieldcraft, ect. Take a look starting about page 79 on the core rulebook and they explain it. If you want you could theoretically change your intelligence aptitude to match any of your other characteristics and give up some on knowing things for some other benefit like going from middling in melee to really quite good (weapon skill), getting a bit of durability behind you (toughness) or being more careful of your surroundings (perception)

-Fate and wounds are kind of standard for your character. Highborne are actually kind of durable because being highborn affords you privileges like "proper nutrition" that allow you to thrive and you start with fairly high fate because you're very lucky to have lived the life of privlige you have.

-Weapon picks are manditory based on your background. Some backgrounds give you some flexibility in choices, others not so much. If you want different weapons you need to burn your free acquisitions on them

-The language is just to fill out your Rogue Trader background, you're not "buying it" per say as it's something you already have.

-Knowledge of the illicit sounds like you want Common Knowledge (underworld). Common knowledge use int/general as aptitudes, general being kind of a freebie, so if you keep the int aptitude you can pick it up for 100 of your starter exp or 200 exp if you dont. If you take Scholastic lore in Navy or Administratum that'll be intelligence and knowledge aptitudes, so you'd be at 200 exp to buy the base rank if you keep the Int aptitude or at 300 exp if you don't.

-Think of an Auspex as a Tricorder from Star-Trek, it's kind of a generic scanner you use to get information on a thing. The battery of sensors let you detect electromagnets, radiation, warp corruption, thermal signatures, things of that nature.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

-What's an Auspex do?

Ok, in order:

Jaded makes you immune to normal, mortal sources of fear; this is literally anything that isn't demonic, psychic, or halluc-grenade inspired. Examples include rampaging giant animals, leaping through flames, all that sort of thing. You do not currently have Jaded.

Awareness tests have no fixed difficulty. Tests tend to range on a bellcurve from -60 to +60, with +0 is the norm. Being surprised is pretty nasty, and avoiding it is good, but you can generally work round it by, well, being Subtle and careful and not getting into a position where you're surprised!

Aptitudes come from your background/homeworld/role, yes. If you have duplicates, e.g. you had Fellowship twice, you can swap it out for any other characteristic aptitude of your choice. I went with Intelligence as you indicated earlier that that's what you wanted, but you can easily swap that out. It will change what your XP costs for stuff are, though, so let me rejig those before you spend anything if you want to change out Intelligence.

Aptitude uses basically boil down to "make it cheaper for you to buy stuff you have aptitudes in". As an example, you have Fellowship and Social, meaning you buy associated skills (like Charm), talents and Fellowship advances at the cheapest rank. If you only had Social, you'd be be paying the middle rank, and if you had neither, you'd be paying top dollar. However, you'd have other aptitudes that give you access to cheaper skills in other areas, so you'd probably focus on those ones instead.

Wounds and Fate are average for your character, good for characters in general. Average wounds is about 11; average Fate is about 2-3. Highborn start with Fate 4, and can exceptionally start with 5.

Weapons are ones given to you by your role; these are ones you do start with. You don't need to use 'em; you can trade them away later. Shipboard shock mauls are kinda like a big riot baton and are kinda obvious; halfway between a holstered pistol and a great big assault rifle. You can, however, hide it under your cloak. Agility-based dagger melee combat isn't really any good; it's the tradeoff of being a touch more subtle and easier to conceal.

Mesh cloak is worn over clothing but, y'know, it's a big cloak. It's not particularly unusual to see cloaks in 40k. Head protection will protect you from 1 in 10 attacks. Guardsman flak helmet is about as much as you can get away with in public without people taking a vague interest, but if you get someone with Trade: Armourer to maybe add some cosmetic wear to the helmet it'll look more discreet.

Xenos tongue is, again, part of the starting package - you can ignore it, but it's free so you may as well take something. Everyone's got skills they won't use much.

Operate is part of the starting package. Aeronautica is planetside-to-orbit craft rather than voidcraft per se, which I guess makes sense.

Lores have a list to pick from, I'll post it in a bit. Chem stuff is covered by Medicae (synthesis) and Trade: Chymist (identification of reagents, etc).

Double Team comes from your Heirophant background, and I picked that because your alternative is Hatred (Pick One). You could go Orks, I guess, but I don't know how many you'll encounter.

Inured to Xenos comes from the Rogue Trader background; you can just play it off as being far too urbane to be bothered by Xenos, to be honest. No alternatives, unless you switch careers.

Auspices are handheld scanners. They give +20 to Awareness tests, as they help you find stuff, and you can use a Tech Use test to detect things not visible to the naked eye (e.g. gas leaks, people hiding in a cupboard)

Rogue Trader fleet's kind of a rough fit for your guy, but it does seem to be the best connect for "independent fixer in space" - Voidborn is geared towards psykers, Administratum is mostly knowledge-based.

e: fucks sake

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Something that is kind of convenient for your character too Leperfish is that you have aptitudes in both Offense (the backer aptitude for strength and weaponskill advances and used in most melee talents) and Finesse (the backer aptitude for agility and ballistic skills advances as well as most gun and dual wielding focused talents) which allows you to be surprisingly competent in a fight for a character not optimally statted to do so.

quote:

Weapons are ones given to you by your role; these are ones you do start with. You don't need to use 'em; you can trade them away later. Shipboard shock mauls are kinda like a big riot baton and are kinda obvious; halfway between a holstered pistol and a great big assault rifle. You can, however, hide it under your cloak. Agility-based dagger melee combat isn't really any good; it's the tradeoff of being a touch more subtle and easier to conceal.

Yeah, they are basically big riot batons and tasers rolled into one. They are big and obvious, but still probably more subtle than a chainsword which is big, obvious, and loving noisy.

It's worth noting that the only people with full sized ranged weapons right now are myself with a shotgun and Who What Now with a longlas. Since I'm rolling primarily with pistols I'm probably going to keep the shotgun stashed away at our hideout and/or try to leverage it for some kind of sawed off double barrel shotgun pistol at some point down the line. I'm already going to be obvious enough starting with the enforcer light carapace from my arbites background without toting around a shotgun at the same time.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 11, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

THIS IS NOT MY CURRENT CHARACTER SHEET
you want this post

Alright! Thanks for the help, both of you. A lot of overlap but each of you posted some unique things so the double-coverage didn't go entirely to waste, LOL.

Here's a first stab. All of my changes and additions are in bold. I also just threw up some equipment without regard to rarity or cost, so just let me know what's out of line and I'll remove it.

e: REMOVED DUE TO REPEATED CONFUSION. Sorry, future reader, you cannot see my first draft character sheet.

I have nonoptimal Int and S, on the assumption that I can buy them up additionally in the future using XP? Since I could buy Fellowship for just 100xp I did that. If there's no point having Int 35 instead of 30 or 40, I can dump the 5 points from St or Int and put them in the other.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 29, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
code:

+++IMPERIAL THOUGHT OF THE DAY: SKEPTICISM 
IS THE PATH OF RUIN, BLESSED IS THE MAN WHO
 DOES NOT QUESTION OR DOUBT+++

+++ESTABLISHING CONNECTION+++

+++CONNECTION SUCCESSFUL+++

+++VERIFY CREDENTIALS+++

>>> ID: aperta_178624578
>>> PASS: *************************

+++CREDENTIALS VERIFIED; GOOD EVENING, TECH-PRIEST+++

>>> access://files.logs.aperta.personal.m42.002.04.21

+++OPENING+++

Aperta's Personal Log:

I have been assigned a new operating team for the 
foreseeable future. I am anxious at the prospect of 
operating in the field again, but it seems that the 
task of being an on-site representative of the 
Priesthood of Mars falls to the most expendable, and 
regrettably I still have the least seniority among my 
esteemed colleagues. I have yet to meet my new 
allies for more than a few brief moments, however 
Cogitatio was able to easily commune with the ship's 
primary cogitator-stack and pull low-clearance 
dossiers on each of them. (Note to self: delete 
mention of unauthorized data-access in future. 
Although I sometimes believe I am [i]expected[/i] to 
do such things of my own initiative, although I have 
yet to find opportunity to verify this). I have been 
able to form what I believe to be logical 
extrapolations from the information I attained. 

Gamma: I must admit that I have very little 
information regarding psykers, the Adeptus Astra 
Telepathica guards it's organization's secrets with a 
tenacity that any of the Mechanicum's Data-Guards
 would be proud of. I possess little beyond the most 
basic formal training in the matter of the Ordos 
Biologis, and thus the abilities of psykers, the human 
machine's inner workings hold little interest to me. 
Inquisition's records are hardly helpful, encryption 
level on their dossier is higher than even some of the
 senior Magi's.  So, regrettably, I am left with little 
more than hearsay and rumors to make my 
assessment. That said, the information gathered is 
promising. Estimated to currently be an Iota-plus or 
Theta-minus level psyker with an eclectic range of 
psychic proficiency. No currently known major 
psychological issues. Comforting. Having a 
sanctioned expert in the ephemeral matters will be 
useful. I look forward to studying her more. 

Ignatius: Much more information here. Almost too 
much, hard to sift useful info from the chaff (note to 
self: look into developing white-noise-data 
algorithm). An acquisitions and inter-personal 
relations expert. Past is storied, possibly
 exaggerated. Hard to gauge, the laity are hard to 
understand sometimes. Still, if he is as useful as he 
presents himself he will be a valuable asset. Will 
study closely to possibly learn how to better 
interface with non-adepts. 

Eadin: Noble-born. Intelligent, wide variety of 
experiences including first-hand experience with 
Xenos life forms. Besides this possesses few 
interests that overlap with my own. Will need to 
inquire about any accounts he has with Xenos 
technology or possibly if he has any minor artifacts I 
could study myself. ADDENDUM: Under the 
supervision of a senior Magos, of course. 

Bulworth: An Arbitor from an under-developed world 
(information unclear whether he was ever officially 
part of the Adpetus Arbites or a local planetary 
peacekeeping force that just happened to also call 
themselves Arbites). Most logical conclusion is he 
has been attached to the team as muscle and 
protection. Expendable. Note to self: Subject's eyes 
focused on Cogitatio 34.27% more often than 
average, may attempt to steal. Do not leave 
Cogitatio alone with Bulworth. 

>>> close://files.logs.aperta.personal.m42.002.04.21

+++FILE CLOSED+++

>>>Logout

+++MAY THE OMNISSIAH PROTECT***

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 12, 2016

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Ok here goes so far:

pre:
Name: Eadian Valarius 
Homeworld: Highborn
Background: Adeptus Administratum
Role: Seeker
Divination: 69, the sacred number - Increase this character’s Perception characteristic by 2. Additionally, he may re-roll Awareness tests to avoid being Surprised.

Aptitudes: 

Fellowship
	Knowledge
	Fellowship Ballistic Skill?
	Intelligence
	Perception
	Social
	Tech

Characteristics:

WS:  25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    BS:  30 (25 (base) +  5 (point buy))
    S:   25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    T:   30 (20 (base) +  10 (point buy))
    Ag:  25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Int: 35 (25 (base) +  10 (point buy))
    Per: 40 (25 (base) +  15 (point buy))
    WP:  30 (25 (base) +  5 (point buy))
    Fel: 30 (30 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Inf: 45 (30 (base) +  15 (point buy))

How do people feel about this? Also in terms of Advances i'll be the dumb guy and say that the suggested SEEMS like a good idea to me,

pre:

Advances: 0/1000

Suggested:
		Awareness (Per) - 200xp
		Charm (Fel) - 100xp
		Deceive (Fel) - 100xp
		Common, Scholastic, Forbidden Lores - 100xp each
		Scrutiny - 100xp
		Tech Use - 100xp
		Interrogation - 200xp
		Security - 100xp
		Dodge - 300xp
		Peer (Imperial fleet officers, Local nobility, etc) - 200xp
		Infused Knowledge - 400xp
		Cover Up - 300xp
		Fel +5 - 100xp
		BS +5 - 250xp
		Int +5 - 100xp
		Per +5 - 250xp
                Trade (Linguist) - 100xp

Makes sense to me? And the idea of taking a flamer means i could back some points off BS and make something good. I think me taking a medkit/signal jammer makes sense. I can be THAT guy. If everyone is cool with that i can finish my sheet tonight?

EDIT: The High influence made sense since he is from an old Family and part of a old aristocracy? Should it be that high if it can change at random?

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 12, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AcidRonin posted:

EDIT: The High influence made sense since he is from an old Family and part of a old aristocracy? Should it be that high if it can change at random?

When in doubt always remember that more = better than.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Code and Pre tags do not automatically wrap lines of text. My post was pretty wide (i've just fixed it so it shouldn't break tables on most normal resolutions), but the sidescrolling for your stuff, WWW, is crazy.
That doesn't mean you can't use Code, but you should insert line breaks as needed.

AcidRonin, you only have 1000xp to spend on Advances: Down Jacket suggested a bunch that might be good, but you'll have to winnow it down at least for now. As we earn ex pees, we can spend them on more stuff.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 12, 2016

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Ok woops on the formatting let me do the advances and we will be good to go for me tonight. Appreciate the help.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Leperflesh posted:

The Code and Pre tags do not automatically wrap lines of text. My post was pretty wide (i've just fixed it so it shouldn't break tables on most normal resolutions), but the sidescrolling for your stuff, WWW, is crazy.
That doesn't mean you can't use Code, but you should insert line breaks as needed.

AcidRonin, you only have 1000xp to spend on Advances: Down Jacket suggested a bunch that might be good, but you'll have to winnow it down at least for now. As we earn ex pees, we can spend them on more stuff.

My bad. I'm phone-posting so I couldn't tell. Thanks for the heads up.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Wait one more question, Can i take the hand flamer and the Signal Jammer and chain-mail by swapping what Jacketflesh gave me? Is that.......legal?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
You have 3 picks so you can have all three sight unseen, unless you have something else in mind.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 12, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

All of my changes and additions are in bold. I also just threw up some equipment without regard to rarity or cost, so just let me know what's out of line and I'll remove it.

The overwhelming majority of what you want here is either stuff you can just have because it has no major mechanical benefit and acts instead as an aid to roleplay (e.g. booze, clothing, personal mementos), or stuff you can certainly requisition but you may be better off just requisitioning or making in the field (drugs, dagger, rebreather - this is an ocean world, they probably have a few spare, false IDs). Having stuff for barter is encompassed by your Influence stat; offering barter fodder to the right person in exchange for something would be an influence test with a bonus, otherwise it's just the usual rules for trading.

Lockpicks (i.e. a multikey), void suit, medkits are fine. Tranq pistols come in the form of Needle pistols, which a) require exotic weapon training at 200xp, b) are too rare for initial acquisition, and c) require you to find/make your own toxin. I have never encountered an RPG that does garrotting well, and DH2 sidesteps the issue by pretending it does not exist.

You have an influence of 40, so you've got 4 item picks.

Leperflesh posted:

I have nonoptimal Int and S, on the assumption that I can buy them up additionally in the future using XP? Since I could buy Fellowship for just 100xp I did that. If there's no point having Int 35 instead of 30 or 40, I can dump the 5 points from St or Int and put them in the other.

You can raise stats with XP later, yes. You normally get about 400 per chunk of campaign, i.e. every couple of scenes. Int of 35 is fine, it gives you a higher number to roll against.

AcidRonin posted:

it changes based on what you do

AcidRonin posted:

Wait one more question, Can i take the hand flamer and the Signal Jammer and chain-mail by swapping what Jacketflesh gave me? Is that.......legal?

you don't need to swap anything, and in any event it'd be pointless. trading away kit only has a benefit if you're trading away stuff that's rarer than what you're hoping to get.

you have Influence 45 so you have 4 starting kit picks.

DeathSandwich posted:

You have 3 picks

you are full of lies and also your guy doesn't have an Influence stat

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, are "starting kit picks" different from the stuff you said I can just have? I take it they're the rarer stuff.

Too bad about the needle pistol thing, I guess 20th century tranq darts are lostech, lol. Is there another way to knock people out from a distance in this game? Maybe a sleep gas grenade, or do I just need to have a blackjack/kosh?

Cool about the Influence stat being a proxy for a few pockets of barterable possibly-illicit stuff, that gives me better narrative options.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

you have Influence 45 so you have 4 starting kit picks.

you are full of lies and also your guy doesn't have an Influence stat

Can't go above 40 on any stat during point buy if we're going off the rules as written, so he'll need to ratchet it back to 40 and put the 5 elsewhere. Still 4 picks though

When I told him he had 3 picks I hadn't seen he had edited his character sheet post, I was going off an assumption of 30 baseline for a noble born. Probably should of said he would have at least 3 picks instead.
I fixed the influence on my character sheet..

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 12, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

So, are "starting kit picks" different from the stuff you said I can just have? I take it they're the rarer stuff.

Too bad about the needle pistol thing, I guess 20th century tranq darts are lostech, lol. Is there another way to knock people out from a distance in this game? Maybe a sleep gas grenade, or do I just need to have a blackjack/kosh?

Void suit, medkit, and multikey would each count as one of your item picks, giving you a spare 4th. Multikey is arguably a bad idea for you, given that you are not Security trained, but you can probably hand it off to WWN's character, who is.

40k is not really a "knock people unconscious" type of setting. Gas grenades are not so much "less than lethal" as they are "occasionally not entirely lethal", and your best bet is Stunning a target before choking them out narratively.

DeathSandwich posted:

Can't go above 40 on any stat during point buy if we're going off the rules as written,

we're not, I've already said 45

I didn't say "this only applies to the two stats that you have as your Homeworld high ones", but should have. Most people have decided they want some balanced stats anyway so it's worked out alright.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What would I need to do, to get Security training?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Leperflesh posted:

What would I need to do, to get Security training?

Security uses the 'Intelligence' and 'Tech' aptitudes, of which you have Intelligence but not Tech.

So it'll cost 200xp to become Trained (get a +0 bonus up from -20 untrained penalty). Then 400xp for +10, 600xp for +20, and 800xp for +30.

My Security skill is currently at +10, and my advances cost half as much as yours because I have both aptitudes. But don't let that dissuade you from taking the skill if that's what you want to do, because in the case that I'm unable to do it it's good to have a backup. You might also be able to give me a bonus if you help me hack stuff.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

40k is not really a "knock people unconscious" type of setting. Gas grenades are not so much "less than lethal" as they are "occasionally not entirely lethal", and your best bet is Stunning a target before choking them out narratively.

Yeah, generally it's kind of hard to do enough fatigue damage to knock someone out without killing them outright. You have some options but they generally involve shared narrative fiat rather than simply rolling dice to do a thing. Stun/blind /hallucinogenic grenades, Webber guns (requires exotic proficiency), and good old fashioned nets will incapacitate someone enough for us to take at least some people alive so long as they aren't completely kill crazy, and even then I could possibly be able to slap my pair of manacles on them.

Also keep in mind, we are going to be on a water planet, we can always try to repurpose fishing nets as snares. In addition we could try to repurpose one of those black crusade harpoon guns to fire a net for its payload.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 12, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, I might drop tech use in favor of security, although that's a tough choice.

I imagine the Inquisition likes to, you know, question people. So being able to apprehend someone using nonlethal force in order to question them later would seem to be our standard operating procedure, and that's all I was going for.

Maybe as a chymist I can mix up some truth serum or something. I'm envisioning jabbing a hypo into a suspect in a crowded bar and then "helping my drunk friend" out the back, sort of thing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The rulebook says that crafting drugs falls under the Medicae skill, so trying to max that would be useful for creating knock out hypos. If you dropped Tech-Use, Trade: Chymist, and your Fellowship advance you could take Medicae +10. Which would also be useful because I don't think we have anyone who can plug bullet holes.

EDIT

On the topic of Subtlety, just how unsubtle is flak armor without the helmet? Tech-priests are weird and eccentric no matter what but I was considering swapping out the armor for another implant.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 12, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

man why does everyone forget that Adeptus Administratum characters are medics. they even start with a medkit and the Medicae skill

the subtlety of your armour depends on context; Enforcers can wander around the market in armour and no-one really cares, but take it into a crime bosses' den and people may take issue. i think I'll have it that wearing bulky armour will rarely cause subtlety hits on its own; only if you go somewhere where it would be extraordinary for you to be geared for a fight, and these will be pretty obvious. otherwise it will just make other subtlety hits worse.

helmet goes under the hood, chestpiece and arms have some extra-robe components, and leg armour becomes apparent when you move.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Who What Now posted:

The rulebook says that crafting drugs falls under the Medicae skill, so trying to max that would be useful for creating knock out hypos. If you dropped Tech-Use, Trade: Chymist, and your Fellowship advance you could take Medicae +10. Which would also be useful because I don't think we have anyone who can plug bullet holes.

Nah, that's giving up way too much flexibility just to do a minor thing. I've got the basic Medicae and already wavering on the 200xp cost for that, but since it gives me drug crafting I'm gonna stick with it. I can bump it up after we earn some adventuring ex pees.

If we need medical help maybe we can commandeer it! We're inquisitors, I can't imagine we're going on a lot of wilderness adventures. We've got enough first aid to keep someone from bleeding out after a fight, and beyond that, we can burn some influence if need be to get an airlift to a hospital or somesuch. I'd rather focus on more characterful breadth skills and fun, interesting abilities than optimizing party makeup like it was a D&D game.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We work for Inquisitors, we aren't ones ourselves, and unless told otherwise throwing the 'quisition's (that's what people in the know call it) will probably get your brains sniped out during tea. We're covert ops and medi-vacs draw attention.

But you're right that'd be getting too focused. I just suggested it if you were super-duper serious about wanting to inject people with poo poo. Plus like DJF said our Administratum guy should have Medicae and a Medkit.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Ok nerds, what do we think about this?

code:
Divination: 69, the sacred number - Increase this character’s Perception characteristic by 2. Additionally, he may re-roll Awareness tests to avoid being Surprised.

Aptitudes: 

Fellowship
	Knowledge
	Ballistic Skill
	Intelligence
	Perception
	Social
	Tech

Characteristics:

Wounds: 14 (Wounds roll = 5, 5)
Fate: 4 / 4 (Emperor's Favour: 03)
Insanity: 0
Corruption: 0

Weapons:

Stub Automatic - pistol/ 30m / s/3/- / 1d10+3I / pen0 / clip9 / reload full

Armour:

Imperial robes
        Head - 0
        Arms - 1
        Torso - 1
        Legs - 1

Skills:

Medicae (Int)
	Common Lore - Adeptus Administratum (Int)
	Logic (Int)
	Linguistics - High Gothic (Int)
	Scholastic Lore - Tactica Imperialis (Int)

Talents:

Weapon Training - SP - Can use weapons with no penalty
	Keen Intuition - After failing an Awareness check, can immediately retry at -10 penalty.

Traits:

Breeding Counts: Any time a highborn character would reduce his Influence, he reduces it by 1 less (to a minimum reduction of 1).
	Nothing Escapes My Sight: Can spend fate points to automatically pass Awareness or Inquiry tests with DoS equal to Perception bonus.
	Master of Paperwork: When acquiring items, an Administratum character counts their availability as one step higher than usual (i.e. Rare becomes Scarce, etc.) 

Gear:

Autoquill
	Dataslate
	Medkit
	Chrono
	Chainmail Suit (Wasn't sure if this should go in armor or not oh god please help)
	Signal Jammer
	Hand Flamer

Implants:

Awareness (Per) - 200xp 
		Deceive (Fel) - 100xp 
		Scholastic, Forbidden Lores - 100xp each 
		Interrogation - 200xp 
		Peer ( Local nobility) - 200xp //Took this instead of Fleet officers since it fits the backstory
                Trade (Linguist) - 100xp 

I can gently caress with the advances to ditch Linguist and Interrogation to take Cover Up or whatever else really, is this fairly decent, Happy with this? I figure the robes can go over the chain-mail? if that's not allowed to protect subtly then I can ditch one.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

quote:

***EYES ONLY INQUISITOR REDACTED***
***ENCRYPTION LEVEL CHARTREUSE***

My lord, I have as you requested compiled my initial impressions of my fellow acolytes into this draft report. I will of course review and update the report with any information that comes to light in the course of our service together.

Ignatius Maulbau
is ambitious and capable, but lacks direction and discipline. Personable, with a wide variety of social experience. Background in the mercantile nobility. Difficult to startle or upset. More comfortable with unorthodox thinking than is desirable. No psychic talent detected. No warp taint detected. Conclusion: An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Eadian Valarius pays attention and asks many questions. Too many? Status as planetary nobility and secondment from Logis Strategos suggest familiarity with multiple methods of intelligence gathering. May be vulnerable to offers to reinstate position in exchange for favours. Warrants further observation. No psychic talent detected. No warp taint detected. Conclusion: Analysis is the bane of conviction

Aperta Ignavus is hard to read. Thinks in proprietary Adeptus Mechanicus languages I am not privy to. Attempts at conversation less than successful. Have observed his effectiveness at communication with machine spirits, believe him to be excellent data analyst. No psychic talent detected. No warp taint detected. Conclusion: Knowledge is power, hide it well.

Barry "The Bull" Bulworth: militant. Enjoys violence, makes a pretense that he does not. Otherwise honest but prone to distraction by personal morality. Self-reliance in technical matters may lead to conflict with AdMech representatives. Self-narrates internally, vulnerable to psychic espionage if trusted with sensitive information. No psychic talent detected. No warp taint detected. Conclusion: The reward for treachery is retribution.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AcidRonin posted:

Ok nerds, what do we think about this?

code:

Aptitudes: 

Fellowship
	Knowledge
	Ballistic Skill
	Intelligence
	Perception
	Social
	Tech

Characteristics:

Wounds: 14 (Wounds roll = 5, 5)
Fate: 4 / 4 (Emperor's Favour: 03)
Insanity: 0
Corruption: 0

Weapons:

Stub Automatic - pistol/ 30m / s/3/- / 1d10+3I / pen0 / clip9 / reload full

Armour:

Imperial robes
        Head - 0
        Arms - 1
        Torso - 1
        Legs - 1

Skills:

Medicae (Int)
	Common Lore - Adeptus Administratum (Int)
	Logic (Int)
	Linguistics - High Gothic (Int)
	Scholastic Lore - Tactica Imperialis (Int)

Talents:

Weapon Training - SP - Can use weapons with no penalty
	Keen Intuition - After failing an Awareness check, can immediately retry at -10 penalty.

Traits:

Breeding Counts: Any time a highborn character would reduce his Influence, he reduces it by 1 less (to a minimum reduction of 1).
	Nothing Escapes My Sight: Can spend fate points to automatically pass Awareness or Inquiry tests with DoS equal to Perception bonus.
	Master of Paperwork: When acquiring items, an Administratum character counts their availability as one step higher than usual (i.e. Rare becomes Scarce, etc.) 

Gear:

Autoquill
	Dataslate
	Medkit
	Chrono
	Chainmail Suit (Wasn't sure if this should go in armor or not oh god please help)
	Signal Jammer
	Hand Flamer

Implants:

Awareness (Per) - 200xp 
		Deceive (Fel) - 100xp 
		Scholastic, Forbidden Lores - 100xp each 
		Interrogation - 200xp 
		Peer ( Local nobility) - 200xp //Took this instead of Fleet officers since it fits the backstory
                Trade (Linguist) - 100xp 

I can gently caress with the advances to ditch Linguist and Interrogation to take Cover Up or whatever else really, is this fairly decent, Happy with this? I figure the robes can go over the chain-mail? if that's not allowed to protect subtly then I can ditch one.

Skills and stats both look fine to me. I can't imagine the Chainmail would be substantially less noticeable than Flak armor, so you may as well go with that, or better yet Enforcer Light Carapace since your background lets you treat Rare items as Scarce. If you're looking for maximum incognito armor you could go for a flak cloak, which has the same level of protection as the Chainmail suit in the same body areas, but is less noticeable because, well, it's a cloak. Everyone has cloaks in 40k because cloaks are fuckin' rad. The armored bodyglove is also available to you, and bodygloves are like the nice pants and polo shirt of 40k, pretty much acceptable everywhere, and is probably the least noticeable armor, but only protects for 2. Finally you could pick up the Mesh Vest, which protects the body only for 4, but should also be one of the least noticeable bits of armor available. You'd still keep your robe's 1 for the arms and legs if you went that route.

If I had to pick, I'd probably take the Mesh Vest or Flak Cloak and then requisition heavier armor, like Light Carapace, at a later date for use if we're ever going into a situation where we know for a fact danger is imminent and blending in isn't as much of a concern. My character is gonna stick with flak armor because I'm banking on tech-priest's in general being weirdass dudes giving me a bit more leeway with my attire.

You also get one more requisition item if I'm not mistaken (looks like you have the Chainmail, a signal jammer, and a hand flamer?)

Of course DJF might contradict everything I wrote here, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's pretty much fine. Best chain mail is kinda obvious but in a 'lol look at that noble' way rather than 'inquisitors!!'. Also if you swim in it you probably die, with your stats.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

It's pretty much fine. Best chain mail is kinda obvious but in a 'lol look at that noble' way rather than 'inquisitors!!'. Also if you swim in it you probably die, with your stats.

He isn't a string swimmer. I'll switch the armor up at home when I'm not on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

In the grim darkness of the future, there are no life vests if you go into the water.

To be fair: Life Jackets are probably going to be my first requisition when we hit that point if I don't immediately fall in the water and drown

• Locked thread