Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Woolie Wool posted:

Well some people actually buy 20-year-old V8 Ferraris. A lightly used Corvette will be much cheaper, faster, safer, probably handle better, has some actual cargo room, and the gas mileage is much better, but many people, given the choice between the keys to a C6 Corvette and a Ferrari F355, are going to take the Ferrari. Sometimes the sensible choice is just boring, and tubes are cool. I personally don't give much of a gently caress about my amp's measurements, I know they're worse than the solid-state models from the same manufacturer and I don't care. I didn't get it because I wanted to have objectively the best amp, it's a real live tube amp that actually amps with tubes for less than $400, and it's really cool seeing the heaters come on and in replacing the worn out input tubes with ECC88s that were made before most of the people on SA were even born. Do they sound better than the 6N1Ps sounded when they were new? Who the gently caress cares, how many things do you have that were made in 1965?

So your reasoning basically boils down to "it's old and it has pretty lights on it so I don't care if the amp is objectively a piece of poo poo".

I think I understand it now - audiophiles are basically cats. Doesn't matter if the equipment is garbage as long as it looks pretty (and is expensive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The car analogy would work if certain cars weren't astoundingly beautiful works of art in their own right. Tube amps aren't really known for being pretty.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Or replace the Ferrari with a Camaro Z that's been at the bottom of a lake for 15 years.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
One day I'll take a photo with all the knobs on it, but I think my tube amp looks pretty nice. Sounds like poo poo though.

http://imgur.com/a/U5eDa

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Apparently I'm a "cable fundamentalist" just like the crazy woo-woo audiophiles, because I doggedly trust in science, measurements and common sense.

Because somehow fairytales and proven science have the exact same factual worth :rolleyes:

E:

"Particularly delicate equipment" :rolleye:

Please find out what this special music is for us.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Please find out what this special music is for us.

I asked what this special delicate equipment and special music was, and why such special care has to be taken during playback when the gear used in studios is anything but delicate, and they use completely ordinary cabling.

Another user did propose a test using an audiophile test CD (of course) containing a recording of a high-pitched bell. His reasoning was that he had tested some cables and found that some of them caused the bell's sound to be inaudible. So of course some cables are more transparent than others :rolleye:

Unfortunately, since there had been some rather unpleasant posts directed towards me by a particular user*, the thread was closed by a moderator. So I never got recommendations for this allegedly very sensitive equipment and special music, and magical EQ-capable cables.

I'm sure the magical special music is either something from Chesky or mastered by Steve Hoffman.

* Said user is an ex-moderator on the site, which apparently makes him exempt from moderation/banning.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

As silly as it is, you have to respect McIntosh for doggedly doing exactly what they do, every time. They announced a wireless all in one speaker at CES that uses the DTS Play-Fi architecture like most of the wifi stuff coming out of smaller manufacturers. And how do you differentiate your purchased-from-a-supplier reference platform in a crowded market?

If you guessed "blue VU meter and silver knobs" you win the prize!

That said at only $1000 it barely qualifies for this thread. If I had baller money I'd get a few of the new mini mu-so Naim announced, that premium knobfeel gets me every time.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 12, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I think a grand for a glorified clock radio (with a VU meter instead of a clock) fully qualifies it for this thread.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'd rather have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqn5BisP4No

But then again, I think all McIntosh gear is frightfully ugly.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

TomR posted:

One day I'll take a photo with all the knobs on it, but I think my tube amp looks pretty nice. Sounds like poo poo though.

http://imgur.com/a/U5eDa

As compared to AM radios in general? Did you replace the caps? How are the speakers in the cabinet?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

HFX posted:

As compared to AM radios in general? Did you replace the caps? How are the speakers in the cabinet?

Does it improve the emotional response of the music? What about GRIP? Have you tried brilliant pebbles?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

qirex posted:

As silly as it is, you have to respect McIntosh for doggedly doing exactly what they do, every time. They announced a wireless all in one speaker at CES that uses the DTS Play-Fi architecture like most of the wifi stuff coming out of smaller manufacturers. And how do you differentiate your purchased-from-a-supplier reference platform in a crowded market?

If you guessed "blue VU meter and silver knobs" you win the prize!

That said at only $1000 it barely qualifies for this thread. If I had baller money I'd get a few of the new mini mu-so Naim announced, that premium knobfeel gets me every time.

If you look at the sticker on the back of the thing, it says "Designed by McIntosh in the USA". Someone in one of the audiophile forums surmises this means it was actually made in China. I'm inclined to agree. Oh McIntosh, how the mighty have fallen.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Stereophile is running their CES impressions columns right now, they're pretty funny

Just put everything in a separate box, that's got to sound better!

quote:

Pass Labs may laugh a bit at its excess, as in the XS series, but Vladimir Lamm saves his smiles for the sounds of his brand-new, four-box LL 1.1 Signature line level preamplifier ($45,390/pair). That "pair" in the price is not a typo. This baby consists of two mono preamps plus two separate power supplies!
The preamp performed in two rooms. In the smaller of the two, it joined the Lamm's M1.2 Reference amplifiers ($27,390/pair) and LP2.1 phono preamplifier, deluxe ($8990); Amazon Grand Reference turntable ($17,995) with Mörch DP8 tonearm and one of two ZYX cartridges; Kharma Exquisite Classique loudspeakers with F-drivers ($130,000/pair); inexpensive Sanus racks ($520); and a small fortune of ZenSati Silenzio series cables ($376,336 to be precise).

That such an expense produced sound disappointingly hard and bright came as a surprise. (Moving back a row, behind a thickly padded couch, helped.) LP tracks by tenor José Carreras and Fritz Wunderlich were overly bright, and sorely lacked in warmth. I know both men's voices, and the sound was off. This Lamm attributed to the solid-state nature of the "pure class-A hybrid amplifier," as well as to the size of the room.

remember the weirder looking it is the better it sounds

quote:

Stunning to behold, eh? Cast your eyes on the US debut of Aries Cerat's new line of equipment from Cypress, imported by Joshua Masongsong of Texas-based Believe High Fidelity. In the middle of crazy, crazy Las Vegas, I felt as though I was immersed in a nice warm bath as I listened to Aries Cerat's Symphonia Aries Limited Edition 3-way horn loudspeakers ($125,000/pair gets you 101dB sensitivity and only one of five pairs in existence), Concero 65 SET class-A monoblocks ($35,000/pair), Impera Signature Edition Mk.II preamp ($82,500), and Kassandra Reference Mk II PCM DAC ($35,000).

Due to a damaged-during-shipment server, the source was a PC with Foobar.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Separates mean less crosstalk and Foobar has ASIO for bit-perfect stream output. :colbert:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think shops like separate everything so much because it's an excuse to sell 2-3x the number of cables which is what all the margin is on. A boring integrated amp only needs a single power cable but this needs 4!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm reminded of the crazy Audio-Note CD player where the separate power supply is connected using a 3-pin XLR, a 4-pin XLR and a 5-pin XLR.

And of course the CD-player only has a digital output, so you need a separate DAC. Naturally.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

quote:

Due to a damaged-during-shipment server, the source was a PC with Foobar.

Oh poo poo, I hope they had the infamous Creative X-Fi card in there, with its "better than studio quality" processing of MP3s.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://www.meridian-audio.com/products/loudspeakers/special-edition-dsp8000-digital-active-loudspeaker/#post-features

On the other end of things, you can buy Meridian speakers that cram pretty much everything but the source into the speakers with separate amps for different ranges, all-digital crossovers, etc. :flashfap:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
$65,000/pair.

Meh. Strictly mid-fi.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

grack posted:

Does it improve the emotional response of the music? What about GRIP? Have you tried brilliant pebbles?

AM is capable of sounding quite decent, with a strong signal and well-running radio. It's not gonna be as good as like a CD or FM of course.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
You can see in the link that I replaced the caps. The radio works fine. It uses an old style speaker with two coils instead of a magnet. The speaker is 12" so the sound from it is kind of flat. I get an AM baseball station that sounds fine because its just talk. There is an RCA jack that I have tried other sources with. I keep an FM tuner from the late 70s in the cabinet so I can listen to music. Still sounds flat without tweeters though.

My point is the radio looks nice and is old and cool. I use it from time to time because I like it, not because I think it sounds good. It does not.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It's interesting to me that they opted for a 12" speaker. AM radio only does about what...4 kHz at the most? Reducing the bass goes a long way toward making it sound decent, and not quite so boomy and muffled. Seems like a smaller driver might have favored the mids a little more and made the balance better. Does it at least have a tone control? I don't recall seeing one.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I just went and measured it. It's closer to 11". The on off switch is a tone control. It goes from bass to treble as you turn it more in the on direction. This thing was made in 1946 so most people had probably only heard really lovely home audio stuff.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

TomR posted:

You can see in the link that I replaced the caps. The radio works fine. It uses an old style speaker with two coils instead of a magnet. The speaker is 12" so the sound from it is kind of flat. I get an AM baseball station that sounds fine because its just talk. There is an RCA jack that I have tried other sources with. I keep an FM tuner from the late 70s in the cabinet so I can listen to music. Still sounds flat without tweeters though.

My point is the radio looks nice and is old and cool. I use it from time to time because I like it, not because I think it sounds good. It does not.

Sorry. I missed the cap replacement. I love fixing old radios. Not because I believe they will sound better, but because they are neat to keep running. Doesn't mean I don't try to tune them up to sound the best I can.

Just went backed and looked at the link. Half of that didn't load for me while at work. Our Internet in that building is horrible. Sorry, I missed it.

HFX fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 13, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Panty Saluter posted:

It's interesting to me that they opted for a 12" speaker. AM radio only does about what...4 kHz at the most? Reducing the bass goes a long way toward making it sound decent, and not quite so boomy and muffled. Seems like a smaller driver might have favored the mids a little more and made the balance better. Does it at least have a tone control? I don't recall seeing one.

Considering the age, going big was probably a cheaper way to get loud sound with the other equipment and the type of driver. Tons of old radios had quite large speakers despite AM radio broadcast not ever being all that excellent for bass.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Croc Monster posted:

If you look at the sticker on the back of the thing, it says "Designed by McIntosh in the USA". Someone in one of the audiophile forums surmises this means it was actually made in China. I'm inclined to agree. Oh McIntosh, how the mighty have fallen.

McIntosh's logo IMO looks like some weird creepy hybrid cross of a Satanic cult and an energy drink, aka fugly as sin.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That goes for all of their products in general, not just their logo. Everything they make is hideous.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Haha, their beach towel is amazing.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Panty Saluter posted:

I think a grand for a glorified clock radio (with a VU meter instead of a clock) fully qualifies it for this thread.

KozmoNaut posted:

I'd rather have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqn5BisP4No

But then again, I think all McIntosh gear is frightfully ugly.

Their McIntosh clock is $1800

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dave Angel posted:

Haha, their beach towel is amazing.

I wish I could laugh at it, but this is mine.

Bonus points for anyone who spots the "deliberate" mistake.

E: TIMGd cos I have a feeling that's big.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
there is no life guard on duty at that pool

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sunglass earpieces sit below the kittens ears, instead of above as they should.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

and the cups on the headphones are far too small.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
the strobe indicates it's spinning at 50hz and not 60hz despite clearly being plugged into north american mains.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think these all qualify. The main one I noticed is the decks being back to front. It's only a one sided towel too, so not a case of flipping it over.

I love it far more than anyone else whose ever encountered it.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I would rock that DJ Catte towel. $45 McIntosh blue meter towel? Not so much.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It also uses a Hercules DJ Console Mk.I as a mixer without anything plugged in. And which doesn't have phono inputs anyway.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
cats don't know how to DJ

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Tell that to the cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think these all qualify. The main one I noticed is the decks being back to front. It's only a one sided towel too, so not a case of flipping it over.

i see you only listen to SD records, not HD ones :rolleyes: