Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Black Baby Goku posted:

I thought that was hendren when looking on my phone

you are dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
is this like a speedrunning trick, or just something the guy made up on his own?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

is this like a speedrunning trick, or just something the guy made up on his own?

Within the first minute the answer to this question should be clear.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Basically for anyone who thought the video was too long: The guy in the video either invented or is part of a community that plays Super Mario 64 by pressing the A button as little as possible so they complete levels by coming up with insane moves such as "Scuttlebug Raising" which is where you abuse loading zones and enemy programming to make a scuttlebug in HMC start levitating. So watch the rest of the video.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
its like speedrunning except it takes 40 minutes to collect 1 star

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

This, and it's loving magnificent.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ever since the minigame was invented of Collect The 8 Red Coins Star Before A 1Up Mushroom Can Touch You, I've been looking for ways people can play a game in a fairly fun looking way that bares almost no resemblance to actually playing it, and now I've found the perfect example, and hell, it's even in the same game. SM64 is incredible.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Actually lmfao in the video he says he builds up speed by making Mario collide with a wall and a ceiling element to make the game start accelerating him for some reason my eyes glazed over about but anyway he does this technique for 12 hours to build up a speed with like 8 digits in it which usually Mario has like 50 speed when he's running I guess, for scale.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Actually lmfao in the video he says he builds up speed by making Mario collide with a wall and a ceiling element to make the game start accelerating him for some reason my eyes glazed over about but anyway he does this technique for 12 hours to build up a speed with like 8 digits in it which usually Mario has like 50 speed when he's running I guess, for scale.

....But that's just a theory, a Game Theory, thanks for watching!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Wormskull posted:

it's basically a type of pedro spot which, as we established before, is pretty powerful

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
he has several runs where he uses no buttons at all, just the joystick, seemingly

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Is it fair that one man could have so much power?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I guess he's like a TAS God basically. Right now I'm watching a video where he does a Mario Wings To The Sky star with 0 presses by somehow teleporting goombas from king bob-omb's hill in a bridge style to the floating island from 50 feet away by waving his wing cap at them.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpcMlj8BwWE

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I can't tell quite from looking at it but it appears he's somehow storing goombas ?? and then using King Bob-Omb's body to place them. Unfortunately the video doesn't have audio commentary and I don't feel like reading the description on it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

This video is an improvement from my previous video in which I collected this star using 1 A press. You can find that video here: https://youtu.be/j6W37o8_GE4. At that time, I believed it to be infeasible to use a goomba staircase to reach the secrets, because the number of goombas required was exponential in terms of the number of bounces. However, since then, I developed two new goomba structures: the goomba cluster and the goomba oasis, described as follows:

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

elf help book posted:

he has a video where it takes him 10 days to get a star on whomp's fortress lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
check out this video where he says "dota_teabag"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNzTUdOHm9A

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Even though it's just pure madness stuff like this makes me wish I paid attention in math class.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Wormskull posted:

Even though it's just pure madness stuff like this makes me wish I paid attention in math class.

He started talking about parallel universes in the levels and lost me.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

elf help book posted:

check out this video where he says "dota_teabag"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNzTUdOHm9A

to this day the secret hasn't been found

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's epic that whoever said Super Mario 64 Quantum Physicist is accurate... This world can be fairly freaking awesome sometimes.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

After watching a few seconds of this video I decided to turn it off, but then it hypnotized me or something and I watched the whole thing??

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

After watching a few seconds of this video I decided to turn it off, but then it hypnotized me or something and I watched the whole thing??

There's something heartwarming about finding other people who manage to love something in ways we perhaps can't even imagine, in a world that's so hosed up and AIDS-Ridden.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Heartily Agreed.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i subscribed

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I like the videos where he manages to improve on previous a-presses by spending hours slowly manipulating a shyguy to the other side of the map.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well now that I now he does TASes of it I guess, it's not quite what I was looking for but an real time version of A Button Challenge would still be fairly cool probably.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i know so much about the blue coins in super mario 64 now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GeID2o7CV0

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I need to watch all of these it seems

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Well now that I now he does TASes of it I guess, it's not quite what I was looking for but an real time version of A Button Challenge would still be fairly cool probably.

What's a TAS?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
tool assisted, meaning the guy played in slower speeds for example, make even frame by frame, to be able to time things without fail

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Thank you goon sir *takes off fedora, gets ruthlessly back-stabbed in the head for one million hp*

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the ones where he completes courses without a single button press are insane, to me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think TAS people are cooler than speedrunners. Runners are still actually playing a game and practicing tricks and whatnot but TAS ppl are absolutely insane and when they see a video game all they can see is the code behind the Matrix

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Love and insanity are two sides of the same coin (g0m's Coin Theory in action). This guys love of Mario 64 has rewired parts of my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

I think TAS people are cooler than speedrunners. Runners are still actually playing a game and practicing tricks and whatnot but TAS ppl are absolutely insane and when they see a video game all they can see is the code behind the Matrix

Agreed.