Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is it just the roof skin or did it damage anything underneath?

I don't know what roof skin is(paint?or the metal?), but I don't feel any indentation from inside the car,at least not over the ceiling fabric if that's what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Yeah on a non removable panel like that it's going to be a pain in the rear end and therefore expensive!

Does anyone have a go to for alloy cleaners? I have a supplier of good alloys but they are all minging. I am thinking something industrial to spray on and leave for a while and jet wash off to perfect clean shine...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

thegasman2000 posted:

Yeah on a non removable panel like that it's going to be a pain in the rear end and therefore expensive!

Does anyone have a go to for alloy cleaners? I have a supplier of good alloys but they are all minging. I am thinking something industrial to spray on and leave for a while and jet wash off to perfect clean shine...

Sonax is supposedly good, but I have no personal experience with it.

I was working on cars yesterday and changing oil, then without thinking grabbed the garage door opener in another car with my nasty oil soaked glove. :( What can I do to clean the cloth headliner fabric and sun visor of grease and oil?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Back pads: do you guys use your 6 inch when doing a/b pillars? Or do you also have a smaller plate and pads in your arsenal? If so what size?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

always be closing posted:

Back pads: do you guys use your 6 inch when doing a/b pillars? Or do you also have a smaller plate and pads in your arsenal? If so what size?

i do and just use a decent amount of taping on either side

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

always be closing posted:

3.5" plate with 4" pads on a DA.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Larrymer posted:

Sonax is supposedly good, but I have no personal experience with it.

Sonax is fantastic. It smells awful and is pretty expensive, but I've found that it's more effective than other wheel cleaners and so what you get goes farther.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Sonax is really good. It also costs like $20 and I couldn't find it locally so I had to order from Amazon.

Meguiar's Hot Rims wheel cleaner is available at pretty much any store near you that sells car stuff (auto-zone, o'reilly's, wal-mart, etc) and it's $5 or so, and works about 95% as well as Sonax. That's what I've been using lately.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
U.K. Goon :( bilberry seems ok? I can get that online.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

thegasman2000 posted:

U.K. Goon :( bilberry seems ok? I can get that online.

Are you after one (prefer?) of those "bleeding" iron remover wheel cleaners specifically?

Sonax is based in Germany, Wolf's Chemicals is out of Hungary, Auto Finesse and Dodo Juice are UK based, so you should be able to get any of their cleaners pretty easily. I don't know if Dodo makes theirs available in bulk sizes, but the others all do.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/wheel-rim-cleaners/cat_130.html
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/car-care-products-shop-by-category.html

Though from what I recall, Bilberry gets good reviews and it's not that expensive.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Larrymer posted:

I was working on cars yesterday and changing oil, then without thinking grabbed the garage door opener in another car with my nasty oil soaked glove. :( What can I do to clean the cloth headliner fabric and sun visor of grease and oil?

Thanks for nothing, thread. :argh: I used undiluted Simple Green and warm water which seemed to do the trick without loosening or damaging the fabric. Well, unless it falls off tomorrow or something.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Larrymer posted:

Thanks for nothing, thread. :argh: I used undiluted Simple Green and warm water which seemed to do the trick without loosening or damaging the fabric. Well, unless it falls off tomorrow or something.

Heh, I missed your first post on it. Great that you fixed it, next stop for me after strong Simple Green would have been Spot Shot.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What do you guys use for rock chips? My wife has well over 100 on her Civic. I have terrible technique with Dr. Colorchip and always cock it up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

blk posted:

What do you guys use for rock chips? My wife has well over 100 on her Civic. I have terrible technique with Dr. Colorchip and always cock it up.

Dr. Colorchip is by far the easiest.

Langka can work really well, but you need to have patience to a) build the spot up so that it's above the paint after drying and b) wait a month or more for the paint to fully and completely cure out so it doesn't just wipe right off. Langka takes more technique, but can be better.

Good ol' fashioned touch-up paint, built up so that it's above the paint after drying and a wet sand works, but requires most technique.

I don't know of any other methods.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Goober Peas posted:

So I'm coming up on 5 months with the first application Paint Protect. Still beading as well as it did on the first day. I'll check in again in a few months and/or when I put a second application on.

Coming up on 10 months since I applied Meguiar's Paint Protect. Still beading well. The downside is that the car seems to be getting dirty progressively faster and/or needing washing more often. Will definitely be stripping it down after 12 months. I'm on the fence as to whether I'll reapply, it really depends on how hard it is to strip. It certainly applied easier than a regular paste or liquid wax. It's met expectations, and would recommend to folks like my parents who wash their car irregularly and are lucky to apply wax once a year. For a gearhead, 12 months is a long time to go without removing surface contaminates regardless of the product longevity.

I've also noticed that it's harder to find locally -- Walmart had it last time I was in there, but none of the Autozones here stock it anymore.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

Coming up on 10 months since I applied Meguiar's Paint Protect. Still beading well. The downside is that the car seems to be getting dirty progressively faster and/or needing washing more often. Will definitely be stripping it down after 12 months. I'm on the fence as to whether I'll reapply, it really depends on how hard it is to strip. It certainly applied easier than a regular paste or liquid wax. It's met expectations, and would recommend to folks like my parents who wash their car irregularly and are lucky to apply wax once a year. For a gearhead, 12 months is a long time to go without removing surface contaminates regardless of the product longevity.

I've also noticed that it's harder to find locally -- Walmart had it last time I was in there, but none of the Autozones here stock it anymore.

Is this a sealant?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So I was peeling a warning sticker off my new bike which has flat white paint, and it left an outline. So I used some cutting compound to polish it out, which worked....too well. Now I have a shiny spot on the top of the gas tank. Does anyone know a way I can flatten out the paint in a way that will look consistent with the rest?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

blk posted:

Is this a sealant?

It's some sort of synthetic wax stuff

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g36516-paint-protect/

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

revmoo posted:

So I was peeling a warning sticker off my new bike which has flat white paint, and it left an outline. So I used some cutting compound to polish it out, which worked....too well. Now I have a shiny spot on the top of the gas tank. Does anyone know a way I can flatten out the paint in a way that will look consistent with the rest?

I have a feeling you won't be able to get it to match again unless you polish the rest of it. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Larrymer posted:

I have a feeling you won't be able to get it to match again unless you polish the rest of it. :(

That's why I didn't reply... I came up with the same. The only other option I thought was possible is a matte clear spray, but you'd have to practice on something else to get the feel for it before committing.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Could you lightly hit it with rubbing compound? That tends to scuff surfaces rather than polish it shiny.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Alarbus posted:

Could you lightly hit it with rubbing compound? That tends to scuff surfaces rather than polish it shiny.

That's the best idea I've come across so far. I'll give it a shot. I almost wonder if a magic eraser might do the job as well.

Fortunately it's not all that noticeable, but drat I felt like an idiot loving up the paint on a bike with 100 miles on it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
How are OEM flat/matte/satin/whatever paint jobs done anyway, just the finish of the paint/clear itself or do they do any work on it afterward to get the look?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

japtor posted:

How are OEM flat/matte/satin/whatever paint jobs done anyway, just the finish of the paint/clear itself or do they do any work on it afterward to get the look?

Sprayed on and the effect is a product of both the application technique and the material. Both of those combine to give a uniform, flat/matte/satin/whatever appearance. My thought/fear with using magic eraser or rubbing compound is that both of those require side-to-side or circular action to abrade the surface... I don't think that will match the random finish that the factory had.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What's the best way to deal with a bit of mold growing inside my car? It's on the steering wheel and on the race seat.

I've had a damprid container in the car for the last month.
I bought a cheap ozone generator and ran it for about 20 minutes the other night, which should have killed the mold.

Diluted bleach and a brush?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

What's the best way to deal with a bit of mold growing inside my car? It's on the steering wheel and on the race seat.

I've had a damprid container in the car for the last month.
I bought a cheap ozone generator and ran it for about 20 minutes the other night, which should have killed the mold.

Diluted bleach and a brush?

Try Simple Green and a brush first.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

meatpimp posted:

Try Simple Green and a brush first.

Totally misread that as 'brush fire'

:laffo:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
When spring arrives here I'm going to clean up my dads car, clay it and all that poo poo. I'm thinking it would be nice to polish it and get it looking as good as possible for him, but I'm unsure about the machines. Some magazines and stuff say that any cheap machine that has all the right movement patterns (double oscillating) and are safe are good enough for mild polishing work. The only real difference is that the machines take longer to do the job based on how powerful they are. Is this somewhat correct?

It's a black car, it drives me nuts to think about it getting scratched (and it's not even mine).... and I want a black car for myself :smithicide:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Heyo detailing nerds, the weather is starting to get nice, time to start thinking about spring detailing!

One post winter result, the Duragloss 501/Collinite 845 on my wife's car, is old, beat up, and parks outside, weathered pretty well. I'll definitely be using that combo on her car and older cars again.

Meatpimp's Dr. Colorchip suggestion coupled with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kspr5GjOla4 (specifically the before/after pictures at the end) have me curious enough that I think I'll give this a try too.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Duragloss 501 + Collinite 845 should come with every car registration.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My truck has a matte paint job and it sits outside, and has accumulated some tree gunk on the side of it. Obviously it is not able to be polished so am I hosed?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rubiks Pubes posted:

My truck has a matte paint job and it sits outside, and has accumulated some tree gunk on the side of it. Obviously it is not able to be polished so am I hosed?

You can clay it, but beyond that yes.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Recommendations for cleaning chrome plastic such as on a Ford? The escape has been picking up stains on the grille and wheels that are impossible to get off.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Try a lot of warm, soapy water, keeping it warm and wet for a while. Sometimes organic stuff will be removed with soap and water where more aggressive mechanical stuff won't touch it.

StormDrain posted:

Recommendations for cleaning chrome plastic such as on a Ford? The escape has been picking up stains on the grille and wheels that are impossible to get off.

If normal car wash soap isn't doing it, go to Simple Green. Clay, if necessary. Once it's clean, Stoners Invisible Glass works great on plastic chrome.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
This is probably silly, but leather cleaners like Lexol for automotive leathers are safe to use for leather furniture, right?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

QuarkMartial posted:

This is probably silly, but leather cleaners like Lexol for automotive leathers are safe to use for leather furniture, right?

In general, dead cow skin is dead cow skin is...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thegasman2000 posted:

I've yet to find anything that is noticeably better than Wonder Wheels and a brush, frankly.

Though it turns out I've run out, so today I used a 50/50 mix of water and washing up liquid with a stiff brush, and it worked surprisingly well.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

What's good for cleaning and conditioning leather car seats? Especially in an older car where the seats are kinda dirty.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What's good for cleaning and conditioning leather car seats? Especially in an older car where the seats are kinda dirty.

Letherique is great in my experience, but $$$. I'm willing to bet almost any 2 part leather cleaner/conditioner is going to be good enough, I've used the meguiars 2 part leather products and it worked fairly well.

E: This stuff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Bajaha posted:

Letherique is great in my experience, but $$$. I'm willing to bet almost any 2 part leather cleaner/conditioner is going to be good enough, I've used the meguiars 2 part leather products and it worked fairly well.

E: This stuff:

Awesome, thanks. I'll check that out.