Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

13 year old girls posted:

Also, this is a stupid rear end question probably, but does Sublime fit into the ska deal? I never could really settle on what genre that band was. They were a cover band, most definitely, but were they ska? Reggae? Some weird mix of the two?

Bit of reggae, bit of hip-hop, bit of dub, bit of punk, some ska. Probably a bit of douchebag as well, if their stereotypical hardcore fans are any indication. :v:

Also, thanks to everyone who recommended the Pietasters. I've been listening to them and the Untouchables and I am quite enjoying them; maybe a bit more ska/soul-influenced mod revival than straight-up ska, but that's great, because I love that kind of thing: the Jam, Secret Affair, Lambrettas etc. Looking to expand my collection of Toasters albums next, but as far as 2 Tone-ish bands go, I've been recommended Let's Go Bowling, who I see are an earlier band. How are they?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

13 year old girls posted:

Also, this is a stupid rear end question probably, but does Sublime fit into the ska deal? I never could really settle on what genre that band was. They were a cover band, most definitely, but were they ska? Reggae? Some weird mix of the two?

Sublime is an example of a great band ruined by idiots and overplaying a few songs that aren't even close to their best. Same thing happened with Blind Melon - No Rain is a mediocre song and sounds nothing like the rest of that album.

Some of the very best Sublime songs are covers though :colbert:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Sublime was my favorite band in high school which makes me ashamed and then mad that I'm ashamed and then sad that I'm mad

Wheat Loaf posted:

Bit of reggae, bit of hip-hop, bit of dub, bit of punk, some ska. Probably a bit of douchebag as well, if their stereotypical hardcore fans are any indication. :v:

I've always referred to it as "Reggae Dub"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
boss dj is a dope song

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

it's all about seed, johnny butt, and chica mi tipo hth

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

bowmore posted:

Ska fans don't have a lot of options

The thing for me regarding Streetlight is the unparalleled musicianship. Those dudes know how to play their instruments in a genre full of casuals.

Like don't get me wrong, I love the sloppy DIY attitude of Ska, but it's nice to hear a bunch of 1st chairs playing it sometimes.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

The thing for me regarding Streetlight is the unparalleled musicianship. Those dudes know how to play their instruments in a genre full of casuals.

Like don't get me wrong, I love the sloppy DIY attitude of Ska, but it's nice to hear a bunch of 1st chairs playing it sometimes.

The first time I saw Streetlight live, that was the thing that blew me away the most. I wasn't even dancing or singing for most of it because I was just listening to the horns play very intricate and fast-paced lines flawlessly, they really are great musicians.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

and they also have a loving bari sax

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Baritone saxophones are great. I borrowed one from the school my mum teaches at back before Christmas and I just can't get enough of it. It's like playing a foghorn. :D

Anyway, re: horn arrangements, I listen to a lot of soul music and R&B from the 1960s and I guess I'm used to that kind of horn arranging. Never too busy - a place for everything and everything in its place. It's probably why I like the 2 Tone type bands the best. That being said, I'm dead keen on Gordon Goodwin. He has a terrific band. They really know how to swing. Also, when I was in the local youth jazz orchestra, we had loads of Gordon Goodwin arrangements. I couldn't always play them but they were always brilliant.

Zoot Money and Georgie Fame had bari sax players in their bands. I like them a lot as well.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Dandy Kaiser posted:

and they also have a loving bari sax

A wailing Bari-Sax is loving carnal. My girlfriend HATES Ska...but One Step Beyond puts her in the mood.

Alas, she poo poo-talked Jeff Rosenstock when I played "Ready, Set...No" in the car: So after six years I'm ending it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A wailing Bari-Sax is loving carnal. My girlfriend HATES Ska...but One Step Beyond puts her in the mood.

It's a tenor on that song, though, isn't it?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Alas, she poo poo-talked Jeff Rosenstock when I played "Ready, Set...No" in the car: So after six years I'm ending it.

sever

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Alas, she poo poo-talked Jeff Rosenstock when I played "Ready, Set...No".

Marry her.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

keeper

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recent observation I've made - the Scofflaws are the best band for the treadmill ever. :D

They're a really tight band. A lot like an R&B band from the 1960s.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I know that Jeff's musical talents are a very polarizing subject around here, and I know that there are people here who definitely, and I guess understandably, don't see him as The God That He Very Well Is, but if you don't at least think that everything he's made from Vacation to present is Good, you're a loving broken person.

e: not letting fateo foil me with a double negative

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 25, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Also, go to quote unquote and download the album by The Albert Square; thank me later

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Vacation was the tipping point to Bad for me. Adults!!! has some songs I like to blast on the rare occasion I get shitfaced. Is that how you're supposed to enjoy his music?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
There are some BTMI/Jeff songs I like but they're the exception not the rule. I find his writing mostly depressing, even on songs I like like "25!," and he is not a good singer. I am sorry if this says something terrible about me but well there it is.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

guppy posted:

I find his writing mostly depressing, even on songs I like like "25!," and he is not a good singer.

wait are we talking about jeff or rbf :v:

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I know that Jeff's musical talents are a very polarizing subject around here, and I know that there are people here who definitely, and I guess understandably, don't see him as The God That He Very Well Is, but if you don't at least think that everything he's made from Vacation to present is Good, you're a loving broken person.

For me the demos for Vacation were the peak and nothing has been as good, I was real sad when the final version of that album came out.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Where does one hear those demos

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

rear end Catchcum posted:

Where does one hear those demos

Only demos from Vacation I'm aware of are the two on http://fuckthewinteriamhibernating.tumblr.com/

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I did like those demos better than the album versions but I also liked the album versions v:shobon:v

e: mainly because I liked Piebald better as a lyric than Cheap Girls :v:

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 26, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dandy Kaiser posted:

well whats he done since vacation? released the comp of odds and ends he had already recorded, the summer single series, and We Cool?

which, We Cool? justifies your post in and of itself

guppy posted:

I find his writing mostly depressing

yeah writing songs about how being an aimless 20something who constantly compares themselves to their peers who have Real Jobs and paychecks and Adult Lives sucks real bad tends to not be sunshine and unicorn farts

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What's that odds and ends comp you're talking about? I have everything else you mentioned.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

rear end Catchcum posted:

What's that odds and ends comp you're talking about? I have everything else you mentioned.

I Look Like poo poo

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm also counting Antarticgo Vespucci because good god drat

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I thought I look like poo poo was an album thanks for the info! Bummed I didn't stumble upon some new to me Jeff collection tho

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Jeff and Antarctigo are touring Australia and I'm pumped as heck.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tnimark posted:

Jeff and Antarctigo are touring Australia and I'm pumped as heck.
gently caress yeah with camp cope too, going to be good

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Vacation is the only tolerable Jeff post-ASoB. :colbert:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how could you not like We Cool?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dandy Kaiser posted:

you're a loving broken person.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Most all of BTMI's stuff is either really hit or really miss for me. To Leave or Die in Long Island has the most hits, and therefore is the best album.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

bowmore posted:

how could you not like We Cool?

eh

guppy posted:

There are some BTMI/Jeff songs I like but they're the exception not the rule. I find his writing mostly depressing, even on songs I like like "25!," and he is not a good singer. I am sorry if this says something terrible about me but well there it is.

That's reasonable.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

25! is my favorite Jeff song, as a fellow "doofy-looking Jew from the NYC metro area who spent over a decade working menial jobs and living paycheck to paycheck with no health insurance but also having loving parents who wouldn't let me literally starve or die of the flu." It's definitely in the top few songs I have an emotional connection to. Even though I'm pretty hit-or-miss on the BtMI! stuff, I loved ASoB (and was lucky enough to see them on the Ernie Ball stage at Warped in 2003), and I've always been secretly jealous of Jeff for being able to express the weird combination of bleakness and awesomeness of being young and poor in A Big City so perfectly. It doesn't hurt that when I met him in the capacity of a nobody security guy working the afterparty when they opened for MMB at Hometown Throwdown a few years back he was the nicest guy ever and gave me a hug and tried to sneak me a beer while I was working :allears:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think Jeff's decency as a man motivates those who like his music to like him even more. I know that's how it works with my fandom. I can see how that grates on those who aren't interested. Conversely, if you're not into his stuff, the fact he's a nice guy probably doesn't much matter.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jeff seemed genuinely disappointed that I didn't maek the last BtMI show because of a car accident, he's okay with me