Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

blugu64 posted:

So they ripped off the xfiles?

Well yeah (it's a good show though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lowen SoDium posted:

The fun of trying to find which brand of DVD player had the best compatibility of VCDs and SVCDs. APEX and other cheap Asian brands seemed to work best.

My parent's cheap APEX dvd player was the best. I would play anything you threw at it. Of course it took like 12 hours to encode a divx to SVCD then you'd coaster at least one or two CDRs in the process of burning but it's the best there was at the time. I still have a huge binder full of dixv and svcds somewhere around my parents house.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

ryonguy posted:

This is the other thing I don't get about audiophiles, though less crazy than gold cables and wooden knobs, hundreds of thousands of songs and counting.
Audiophiles don't have hundreds of thousands of songs, they have few precious favorite albums in multiple copies, bought to try and find a pressing that makes "Baba O'Riley" or "Levon" sound the way they remember it sounding the first time they heard it in 1971. (On an AM radio in their dad's Plymouth Barracuda.)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Audiophiles don't have hundreds of thousands of songs, they have few precious favorite albums in multiple copies, bought to try and find a pressing that makes "Baba O'Riley" or "Levon" sound the way they remember it sounding the first time they heard it in 1971. (On an AM radio in their dad's Plymouth Barracuda.)

More like they have a couple test records that they play over and over to convince themselves the latest $2,000 stereo upgrade has improved the sound.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Lowen SoDium posted:

In the year 2000!

I remember in the early 2000's, making Super VCD rips of DVDs.

For those who don't know, VCDs were MPEG1 based and video quality wasn't that great. SVCDs were MPEG2 based and were about 2x the resolution, so the video quality was significantly better. You could rip most movies to fit on 2 SVCDs and still get decent quality. I remember the app that I used would automatically duplicate the last several seconds of the 1st disk on the start of the 2nd disk so you wouldn't accidentally miss anything at the disk change.

The fun of trying to find which brand of DVD player had the best compatibility of VCDs and SVCDs. APEX and other cheap Asian brands seemed to work best.

There were a few different types of VCD floating about I remember being able to download KVCD files which would burn onto one CD and would usually fit a full length single film in pretty good quality, i think me and my housemates wore out a few copies of Tony Jaa's film Tom Yum Goong in that format.
They were pretty convenient and would play on my cheap DVD Player that also played DIVX so when DVD burners became more prominent I would stuff 5-6 movies on a disk.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
How about RatDVD? It was a thing that basically compressed a whole DVD with all its menus and features and whatnot. It worked for the one time I tried it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RatDVD

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Poohat666 posted:

V-CD was big in Asia, not sure if it was in North America.

They still are big in parts of asia. I used to buy VCD's of 60-80s thai-flicks up until the guy I ordered from just took all my money and never sent anything*. I guess I can't blame him, there was absolutely no risk involved for him, with me being on the other side of the globe and stuff.

There is a certain kind of material that is only available on obsolete formats, which is part of why I'm interested. The stuff that is not interesting enough to be migrated to the next generation of media, will eventually be lost. The original source material deteriorates while the amount of people who know that the material even exists decreases the longer the last format it was released on has been obsolete. I fear for the films that was out on VHS, but never made it to DVD. Interestingly, for Thai cinema there actually seems to be have been a bunch of stuff that never made it to VHS, but DID make it to VCD. I don't care because the films could be "lost gems" or have any filmic qualities worth mentioning, but because they'll be gone forever once they're lost.

*Aaand while I'm on the subject of Thai flicks, please contact me if anyone knows where I can get a copy of รับจ้างตาย ตอน แลกตาย (1989) AKA Cannibal Mercenary 2 AKA Employ for die 2. I know it exists on VCD and there's supposedly a VHS in existence too... It was my holy grail for some time, before I gave up trying to track it down...

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I collect old gaming stuff from the 80s, my two main prizes being a fully functional Commodore 64 and matching original floppy drive, and an Atari 2600 modified to use the RWY cables to plug into the TV.

Have a few games for each, like Ultima 4, Karateka, Defender, Berzerk, etc.

I'm getting a new power adapter for the Atari here soon, as when I got robbed a while back, the thieves took almost every power adapter in the house (who even does that honestly?).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I collect old gaming stuff from the 80s, my two main prizes being a fully functional Commodore 64 and matching original floppy drive, and an Atari 2600 modified to use the RWY cables to plug into the TV.

Have a few games for each, like Ultima 4, Karateka, Defender, Berzerk, etc.

I'm getting a new power adapter for the Atari here soon, as when I got robbed a while back, the thieves took almost every power adapter in the house (who even does that honestly?).

I hope they don't find out about my cabinet-of-PSUs :ohdear:

(I'm not joking.)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Hell, later model APEX units could play video and audio files right off the disc--no conversion necessary. They were also tiny and cheap as hell. I couldn't believe that a $30 seemingly bargain-bin DVD player could outperform the enormous Sony unit I spent way too much on, but that little fucker could do it all. Even had a slideshow feature if you had a folder full of images on the disc.

Who the gently caress knows what is going on in the mind of a person who breaks into someone's house to take their poo poo (other than "I can sell this!").

When I got cleared out (the first time), the burglars were alone in the house the entire night and somehow missed a brand new Xbox 360 (this was back when they'd just come out), a factory-sealed copy of Earthbound, a box containing gold and silver jewelry and an ammonite fossil worth more than a grand, and a camera bag with my digital video camera, spare batteries, and lens attachments in it. I don't know how you spend more than eight hours burglarizing a place and miss all the good stuff, but I'm glad they were morons.

Good news in your case is that replacing that power adapter will be pretty cheap :toot:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Gaz2k21 posted:

There were a few different types of VCD floating about I remember being able to download KVCD files which would burn onto one CD and would usually fit a full length single film in pretty good quality, i think me and my housemates wore out a few copies of Tony Jaa's film Tom Yum Goong in that format.
They were pretty convenient and would play on my cheap DVD Player that also played DIVX so when DVD burners became more prominent I would stuff 5-6 movies on a disk.

We generally called these simply "DivX" rips going back 10+ years. Was genuingly surprising you could get 90% dvd quality fit onto a 70min cd. Goes to show how antiquated the DVD compression format really was.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Meth heads. Gotta get that $0.10 worth of copper.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

atomicthumbs posted:

Meth heads. Gotta get that $0.10 worth of copper.

It WAS in Florida, so I suppose that makes sense.

Can't wait to plug it in again and play some Berzerk and watch my fiancee roll her eyes as I fanboy about a game that was made over 35 years ago.

Though I might have a problem with my Commodore now, its only showing in black and white, which although not crippling isn't ideal.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Crazy Otto scared me when I first saw him.

... maybe a year or so ago. I'm a baby and started on the Game Boy.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Nutsngum posted:

We generally called these simply "DivX" rips going back 10+ years. Was genuingly surprising you could get 90% dvd quality fit onto a 70min cd. Goes to show how antiquated the DVD compression format really was.

It's interesting that VCD allowed for about 800MB of data on the CD instead of the usual 700MB because it got rid of a bunch of the error correction stuff that you normally have.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Audiophiles don't listen to music, they listen to gear and the music is just a necessary evil to that end.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powerlurker posted:

Audiophiles don't listen to music, they listen to gear and the music is just a necessary evil to that end.

Pretty much. I just like listening to a lot of different music.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also there is a strange market for power adapters. Generally people who want to buy them are not discerning customers, they're buying one because Aunt Cindy's phone from 2004 that she's still using has a proprietary charger and damnit we NEED IT WORKING NOW. So a lot of times they can sell very quickly.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Normally I'd say yeah, but this is a plug from the 70s and it looked it too.

I favor the scrapped by Florida Man theory.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

It WAS in Florida, so I suppose that makes sense.

Can't wait to plug it in again and play some Berzerk and watch my fiancee roll her eyes as I fanboy about a game that was made over 35 years ago.

Though I might have a problem with my Commodore now, its only showing in black and white, which although not crippling isn't ideal.

Joust on Atari was my favorite game, something about riding a giant ostrich with a lance, flying around and stabbing dudes was pretty great. Reminds me that I need to find some emulators again so I can reload old console games on my PC or laptop, since most of my old console stuff either got broken, stolen, or sold in garage sales. :(

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Re VCDs in Asia, I'll always remember going to my uncle's place in Manila and choosing films from his collection of hundreds of bootlegs. Often he had the latest films still out in theatres, and if he didn't have it, he'd easily be able to get it. He's a police officer.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ryonguy posted:

This is the other thing I don't get about audiophiles, though less crazy than gold cables and wooden knobs, hundreds of thousands of songs and counting. When exactly are you going to listen to all of them and at what point does it turn from a hobby to digital hoarding?

What, do you listen to a song once and throw it away or something? I only started really ripping my music a few years ago and I have 100gb, if I bothered to actually rip all the cd's and whatever I have laying around in a decent codec I'd easily waste a whole hard drive for it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

What, do you listen to a song once and throw it away or something? I only started really ripping my music a few years ago and I have 100gb, if I bothered to actually rip all the cd's and whatever I have laying around in a decent codec I'd easily waste a whole hard drive for it.

No, he listens to the same five anime MIDI files over and over again every day.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Elliotw2 posted:

I've ripped every CD I own to FLAC, there's about 280GB in total. I chose FLAC for backup reasons, I could convert everything to VBR MP3 and not hear a lick of difference, but storage space is cheap.

But I'm probably going to delete most of the poo poo I never listen to anyway, crappy music I listen to in my teenage years like Dream Theater and Coldplay.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Jan 14, 2016

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

ryonguy posted:

This is the other thing I don't get about audiophiles, though less crazy than gold cables and wooden knobs, hundreds of thousands of songs and counting. When exactly are you going to listen to all of them and at what point does it turn from a hobby to digital hoarding?

It's been covered, but audiophiles aren't interested in music, only equipment. Go look at any audiophile forum and you'll see a very interesting omission - no-one talks about what music they like. They also never talk about what music they play on their stereos.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ozz81 posted:

Joust on Atari was my favorite game, something about riding a giant ostrich with a lance, flying around and stabbing dudes was pretty great. Reminds me that I need to find some emulators again so I can reload old console games on my PC or laptop, since most of my old console stuff either got broken, stolen, or sold in garage sales. :(

One of the best things about the Cataclysm expansion for World of Warcraft was the daily quest that was Joust in 3D.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Keiya posted:

Evil Otto scared me when I first saw him.

... maybe a year or so ago. I'm a baby and started on the Game Boy.

Fixed. :)

Berzerk arcade will always be the best because of the robot voices.

"intruder alert! intruder alert!"
"get. the. humanoid"
"got. the. humanoid. got the intruder"
"chicken. fight like a robot."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HaB posted:

"get. the. humanoid"

It only narrowly beats Sinistar and GORF, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HaB posted:

"get. the. humanoid"

Berzerk was lame. "DESHBRDLTHOY HIM MY ROBOTS!"

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

No, he listens to the same five anime MIDI files over and over again every day.

Nah I don't work in IT.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

HaB posted:

"get. the. humanoid"

Beach Head II on the C64 was the best for computer voices.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

ryonguy posted:

This is basically why spotify took off among my peers: "oh, i don't have to manage all that poo poo anymore? gently caress YEAH!"

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
One thing that has always fascinated me was Phreaking.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phreaking

Back in the day, phone calls and the like were controlled by different tones and sounds played through the phone lines, such as the infamous 2600hz, which told the phone line that you hung up, and connected you to the main trunk of phone calls. The last system in the US that used this method was in Alaska and was phased out in 2011. The early hacking communities have much to owe from phreaks, as they were pioneers of the art, and most commonly collaborated on BBS forums.

As stated, with the switch from analog to digital phone calls, Phreaking is now essentially impossible except in the most backwater places in the world.

fishception has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Jan 14, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

More like they have a couple test records that they play over and over to convince themselves the latest $2,000 stereo upgrade has improved the sound.
I wonder if they crack open a fresh one every time because playing one introduces miniscule mechanical wear. And also if they all have to be from the same production batch to rule out manufacturing inconsistencies. And if someone already had that business idea.

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

There is a certain kind of material that is only available on obsolete formats, which is part of why I'm interested. The stuff that is not interesting enough to be migrated to the next generation of media, will eventually be lost. The original source material deteriorates while the amount of people who know that the material even exists decreases the longer the last format it was released on has been obsolete.
I've been on a huge early 80s vinyl binge lately where one single is the entirety of a given artist's output and they were pressed in so small numbers that youtube or blogspot rips are basically as close as I'll ever get to them, and sometimes it feels more like I'm building a comprehensive catalogue of audio artifacts.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Phreaking is now essentially impossible except in the most backwater places in the world.

One last cool vestige is the ability to dial a phone via pulse by tapping the hook. Get your timing right and don't accidentally call 911

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Back in the day, phone calls and the like were controlled by different tones and sounds played through the phone lines, such as the infamous 2600hz, which told the phone line that you hung up, and connected you to the main trunk of phone calls. The last system in the US that used this method was in Alaska and was phased out in 2011. The early hacking communities have much to owe from phreaks, as they were pioneers of the art, and most commonly collaborated on BBS forums.

As stated, with the switch from analog to digital phone calls, Phreaking is now essentially impossible except in the most backwater places in the world.

In the discussion about Chip and Ironicus's LP of Watch_Dogs, I was suddenly given the idea for NaNoWriMo to write a novel about a 1980s phone phreakers, hackers, and signal hijackers community in the Midwest who declare war on an rear end in a top hat member of the community after he does a TV signal hijacking of their favorite show. Think Hackers mixed with the Max Headroom broadcast intrusion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HaB posted:

"get. the. humanoid"

Jedit posted:

It only narrowly beats Sinistar and GORF, though.

Don't forget the Centaur pinball game. I loving love that lovely synthesized voice effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1BMuCddyTU

Challenge me.
Sequence feature!
Chamber feature!
Bonus feature!
DESTROY CENTAUR.

Captain Crunch! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Draper

I grew up just after that era, so when watching movies like Pirates of Silicon Valley that depict Phone Phreaking, I always thought it was so weird and lame as a kid. But its definitely a major part of the history of hacking.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Jan 14, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HaB posted:

"get. the. humanoid"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D780JHlQxxs

My friends and I played the gently caress out of this game. I loved the sound effects. Nah, nah, nah, nah.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Phreaking must seem incredibly lame to anyone raised with broadband. "Oh, you went through all this trouble and broke the law to make...phone calls?"

But man, free long distance in the 1970's and 80's was like finding a $20 bill every time you looked between your couch cushions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Krispy Kareem posted:

Phreaking must seem incredibly lame to anyone raised with broadband. "Oh, you went through all this trouble and broke the law to make...phone calls?"

But man, free long distance in the 1970's and 80's was like finding a $20 bill every time you looked between your couch cushions.

And more specifically it let you dial BBS that were a long way away and get those sweet sweet filez without having to pay out the rear end in bills.