Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Air is lava! posted:

Who the hell chills out on operative train tracks? And why? That's such a dumb way to die.

Spoiler for those who haven't seen the video yet.

teens.... doing stupid things??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Warren is one or two dunks away from adopting a fedora. Thus continues the cycle of life.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Which is why we need to dunk him now, so he gains a sense of humility and becomes numbed to it. We're dunking him OUT of that fedora.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This cycle of goon-on-goon violence must end.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

To Dunk or Not To Dunk isn't even a video vote you weirdos

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yes, but come on! Doing reckless things for the adrenalin can be fun, but this is just risking your life for no gain at all. They just lied down there, because it's slightly more cozy than the ground.
They really should know better. While you are on the junk yard, there are trains passing by every minute.

I probably sound hung up on that, but that part really influenced my opinion of the game.
When I first played this game, the minute they started walking around and later lying on the tracks, all I could think about is that exactly that would happen and it kind of threw me off.
This pretty much cemented that Chloe has no survival skills at all and isn't really a healthy person to hang out with...

But I see why the scene is in the game from a gameplay perspective and the puzzle was actually quite fun.

Also Courtney is probably the most shallow person in this game. She did a complete 180, just because you mentioned that you like her clothes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Courtney: I hate you.
Max: I like your shirt.
Courtney: You're great, actually.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
My undergraduate degree was in Physics with a Mathematics minor. I only mention this because Warren is such a nerd that even I think he needs a solid dunking.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

You really know you shouldn't probably be friend with someone when in the span of two days they blackmail a psycho an nearly get shot, steal a loving gun from their stepfather, smokes grass in their own house and promptly get you busted, gets you several nosebleeds and fainting spells, gets pissy because you dared to answer your phone, shots themselves with their own gun, nearly gets you both cut by a drug dealer because of a debt and almost gets run by a loving train because they wanted to chill on the tracks.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Until I showed this game to my girlfriend I really had no qualms with the "stupidity" of the train scene because I too grew up in a small town and my house was right in front of the railroad tracks which I would play on as a kid and walk on as the most direct route home as a Teen like, all the time. Granted, they were fairly inactive tacks and trains only ran at night, as opposed to the tracks here which have trains going by like every 3 minutes, but it was familiar enough that I just accepted it as Things Teens Do. And then my girlfriend freaked out about it so I guess I was just a reckless teen with no survival instincts who is not a healthy person to hang out with.

Also, Chloe is great and fantastic and basically the best and so are her parents, one of whom is my favorite character in this game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's just an interesting setpiece that lends itself to an interesting puzzle, geez.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Also, Chloe is great and fantastic and basically the best and so are her parents, one of whom is my favorite character in this game.

yeah david's pretty cool

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Warren, if you don't know the answer, trying things randomly is not the solution. And even if it were, there are better RNGs than asking a random uninformed person that's passing by. Especially one that you have a huge dorky crush on.

Geeze dude... it'd be one thing if he asked her for help, after explaining what the end goal was supposed to be in the first place, but no. Just pick something at random, why don't you. Bah!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Kaubocks posted:

yeah david's pretty cool

:yeah:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Air is lava! posted:

Yes, but come on! Doing reckless things for the adrenalin can be fun, but this is just risking your life for no gain at all. They just lied down there, because it's slightly more cozy than the ground.
They really should know better. While you are on the junk yard, there are trains passing by every minute.

I probably sound hung up on that, but that part really influenced my opinion of the game.
When I first played this game, the minute they started walking around and later lying on the tracks, all I could think about is that exactly that would happen and it kind of threw me off.
This pretty much cemented that Chloe has no survival skills at all and isn't really a healthy person to hang out with...

But I see why the scene is in the game from a gameplay perspective and the puzzle was actually quite fun.

Chloe would've been fine if she wasn't sitting with her foot IN the points. Literally 5ft down the tracks and there would have been nothing to worry about AT ALL

The real miracle in that scene is that the train doesn't get derailed, since Max is only switching the points back AFTER the train goes by.
And that the train goes over them at like 50 miles an hour in the first place, but w/e, video games.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

Gantolandon posted:

You really know you shouldn't probably be friend with someone when in the span of two days they blackmail a psycho an nearly get shot, steal a loving gun from their stepfather, smokes grass in their own house and promptly get you busted, gets you several nosebleeds and fainting spells, gets pissy because you dared to answer your phone, shots themselves with their own gun, nearly gets you both cut by a drug dealer because of a debt and almost gets run by a loving train because they wanted to chill on the tracks.

I'm looking forward to the One True End only being possible because we saved Chloe's dumb rear end 20 times.

Also hooray David isn't a big jerkwad anymore! Number of antagonists drops (?) by one.

Edit since I'm curious: Has it been possible to get a Bad End so far? like if we didnt water the plant or something

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Should have gotten the picture and then rewound so that warren's experiment blew up in his face.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The cool thing about David change of character is that it's not out of nowhere. It's pretty clear what happened:
When he first met Max she was a stranger and they didn't really get along well. Then Chloe introduces her as a stoner friend who just went into the house without notification. (Imagine if Frank would do that instead.) So he is rightfully concerned about his daughter.
But during the course of that evening he gets to talk to Joyce . He probably started complaining about the whole thing and then droppd her name. When Joyce heard that, she probably explained who Max is and why she might be a good influence on Chloe. (All of that is evident by the fact that Joyce knew about the whole thing the next morning.)
When he heard that, David wasn't to proud to reevaluate his oppinion of her.
At the end of the day, like most fathers, he just wants what's best for his child.

Also a note about the statement that marijuana is almost legal. This game is set in Oregon in October 2014. That's pretty much a few days after Oregon voted to legalize it. (it was implemented a few months ago.) Busting somone for that, while it'still illegal would be quite a dick move. But I can s why David wouldn't want to have a joint in the house.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

KasaiAisu posted:

Edit since I'm curious: Has it been possible to get a Bad End so far? like if we didnt water the plant or something

I've only play throught the game about 1 and a half times now and I'm pretty sure outside of killing Max, nothing you do ends the story prematurely. You simply have to deal with the consequences of your actions later on in the story. I've found it to be a more impactful way of doing things rather than the usual "pick wrong answer, go directly to death screen" that a lot of adventure games have.

On the other hand, I'm not a filthy plant murderer, so I haven't checked that branch out.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

KasaiAisu posted:

Not really. If Max e.g. gets crushed by the falling lighthouse at the end of episode one, the screen will turn grey, freeze and you'll be prompted to rewind. This happens every time something that would derail the game happens. Like Air is lava! explained, the choices we made in ep 1 now affect how David and the Principal treats us. It's a good system where you can't please both Kate and David because both actions have both good and bad consequences.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
There are a couple of places where the game would have been vastly improved by having an ending, but the LP hasn't gotten to them yet so no details!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really don't get the hate for Warren...?

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

anilEhilated posted:

He makes the lamest jokes and references out of any character in this game, which is saying a lot.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

anilEhilated posted:

He is a goon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hopkins FBI posted:

He makes the lamest jokes and references out of any character in this game, which is saying a lot.

Max Caulfield: *Does the South Park Al Gore cereal joke in complete earnest*

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

something something final fantasy spirits within

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Max is the truest nerd, which is why she will never give Warren the proper dunking he needs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The most important question that's gone unanswered is did Max watch the original Fullmetal Alchemist or Brotherhood?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
both, also the movie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Conqueror of Shamballa or Sacred Star of Milos? Conqueror of Shamballa is poo poo, skip it.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Well of course it's poo poo, it's Fullmetal Alchemist. That goes without saying.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Square has teamed up with PACER's National Bullying Prevention Center for a campaign based on the photo contest featured in the game, Everyday Heroes. For every social media post about overcoming such adversity using the hashtag #EverydayHeroes from today until the 19th, Square will make a donation to the Bullying Prevention Center.

I thought it was a neat tie-in seeing as bullying is a main theme of Life is Strange. Also, if you're watching or playing along, don't go to the campaign's main link in the blog post, the campaign video has a pretty big spoiler in it. The thumbnail is also a minor spoiler for the final episode.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
That's kind of awesome, seeing the in-game contest turn into a real charity thing. :allears:

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hello thread, today we have a rather important :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Today the weather forecast calls for rain showers:siren:

Poll for today: closed!

I'm really looking forward to discussing this sequence and other people's experiences with it, but that's all I'm going to put right now.

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 23, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I hosed this part up when I played.

I hosed up super bad and it made me feel like poo poo.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Oh, wow, I didn't know that you could end the confrontation with Kate early like that. Every time I've seen it done, there's one more question where you have to remember the verses that Kate had marked in her bible. It's also an rear end in a top hat of a question, because the correct answer really seems like a "Give up and let go" option, where the wrong answer is the one that seems like you should keep on fighting and you will prevail. It's basically designed entirely to trip you up if you didn't actually pay attention and just tried to google them, and it's also tripped up multiple people who I've watched play the game.

That said, we should definitely blame Mr. Jefferson. Even though Nathan is, ultimately, to blame, he's a psychopath who we're already on bad terms with, whereas Mr. Jefferson is supposed to be a protector of his students and we saw him blame Kate for her bullying and make absolutely no effort to stop her when she ran off crying.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The last question only happens if you screwed up one of the previous ones. Two failures cause you to lose Kate, so if you get everything right going into the last question it just gives it to you.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Blaming Nathan seems like the obvious choice to me. Mr. Jefferson's punishment if we blame him is too severe for the amount of involvement he had, and blaming David is just punishing ourselves. Blaming Nathan is the only choice that dishes out proper punishment, even if he is getting off pretty lightly at the moment. And he's already our enemy, so who cares if he hates us more now.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Wow, that was really goddamn intense. Having your power taken from you at such a crucial moment is a great touch, it wouldn't have really worked otherwise.

How easy is it to mess up? e: It being a two-strike system for failure seems pretty oversimplified. You'd think some of those answers would matter more than others.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

How easy is it to mess up? e: It being a two-strike system for failure seems pretty oversimplified. You'd think some of those answers would matter more than others.

It's a two-strike system, but the answers available to you and which portion of them are correct vary depending on the things you've done leading up to this point. But it's still just "wrong answers" and "right answers", and two wrong answers, well...

• Locked thread