Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6233503/#Comment_6233503

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Can I gamble on Star Citizen, do I get better odds if I buy the Completionist package

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Matlock Birthmark posted:

What has Derek Smart ever done for us. Well, he's funny, he appears to have been accurate with some inside information, he managed to get a rise out of a company that should be better than that, and once "something something" coke machine.

But really, he's more pleasant to read than the pedos and Stimpires of the Brown Sea.

His insane rants are also comedy on their own.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
God macharial420 is seriously a bitter, bitter person. On the topic of whether Squadron 42 will ever show up on Steam, in response to an article saying that most big games end up on Steam:

Reddit Warrior, macharial420 posted:

Wow.
What a petty, vindictive ragewall of just... wow.
Sorry other people have differing opinions. Life must be really frustrating for you. I mean, like, really god drat frustrating.
Enjoy dying young.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40scg0/squadron_42_on_steam/cywwq81

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Unfunny Poster posted:

What does FYU mean in this context? I'm not a cool hip kid like I once was.

its a reference to Fort Yukon Airport, whose IATA (International Air Transport Association) code is FYU. The FYU is located in the Koyukuk area of Alaska. It's an oblique way of saying that we are being cucked by Derek Smart.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

alf_pogs posted:

developed much video games? :smug:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

its a reference to Fort Yukon Airport, whose IATA (International Air Transport Association) code is FYU. The FYU is located in the Koyukuk area of Alaska. It's an oblique way of saying that we are being cucked by Derek Smart.

Nice thing is this airport will modeled with a laser scanner in the Terra system...in the Verse.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

What has Derek Smart ever done for us. Well, he's funny, he appears to have been accurate with some inside information, he managed to get a rise out of a company that should be better than that, and once "something something" coke machine.

But really, he's more pleasant to read than the pedos and Stimpires of the Brown Sea.

Uncle Derek gave us refunds. Hundreds of goons managed to recover tons of cash to wisely spend on different bad games and japanimation

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Berious posted:

Uncle Derek gave us refunds. Hundreds of goons managed to recover tons of cash to wisely spend on different bad games and japanimation

Actually, that's a really good point. Derek did sorta help push the refund narrative here, allowing a lot of people to get their money back before the denial phase started. So if/when this game implodes into disappointment and unfulfilled promises, he at least saved some people's money.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Neurotic Jew posted:

That's a really complicated meme.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

the die-hards also usually don't realize that this thread was around mocking Star Citizen way before Derek Smart entered the ring. They just can't fathom that people might have come to these conclusions about the game completely independent of The Missives.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I'm assuming that Illfonic had a bad contract that gave them a completion bonus and didn't have a good buyout clause. It would make sense they were booted out of making Star Marine so that CIG could save money and salvage what was left. The statement they put on their webpage about the project was not even thinly veiled.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the die-hards also usually don't realize that this thread was around mocking Star Citizen way before Derek Smart entered the ring. They just can't fathom that people might have come to these conclusions about the game completely independent of The Missives.

They also don't realize that we're actually mocking Derek Smart at the same time :v:

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Can someone pm me what this sandi thing is? I can't read it... :[

I messaged you.

It's pretty goddam scandalous.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

That is the profile pic of an utter dickhead.

I think they added the concern poll as a ritual humiliation. A little gently caress you to the people who have an issue which lets the fanboys call you a whiner with one click. Even better they require a very specific format but rather than make something automatic the person has to make it themselves. That's an added abasement, like whipping yourself to purge your sins.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
holy loving lol

http://imastarcitizen.net/index.php?section=card_archive

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Buy now before those dudes become part of normal turnover in game development projects!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

fuzzknot posted:

I messaged you.

It's pretty goddam scandalous.

OH MY GOD! Someone needs to contact some loving news stations about this poo poo! :holy:

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 13, 2016

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
It's impossible to keep up with the thread, did INN ever verify Beer's e-mails? Or are they still having a busy Friday evening?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Star Citizens are pretty great at coming up with incredibly tedious ideas.

Cargo and equipment management for Ship loading/unloading mechanics

quote:

I think boxes and equipment should be loaded onto ships in real time using hangar NPC's or yourself. I'll try to explain how I picture it working:

Using your mobiglass, holotable, or station table, you could direct items to be stored/emptied from crates, or loaded/unloaded onto a ship. Kind of like creating a work que or to-do list. As an example: You open your holo table - select your Freelancer. You swap out a laser weapon for a ballistic weapon, fill up the ammo magazine with one type of ammo, and request an extra crate of a different ammo for storage in the cargo hold of your Freelancer. As you're creating this list, an NPC starts on the first task after it's put into the table. (Maybe a start task button. You might want to put in a few items on the list first, or have start them on something right away) They grab the weapon, (Running, walking, forklifts, etc. Depending on the size/distance of the items, and your urgency) brings it to the ammo crate, fills it, and brings the weapon and second crate back to the ship. When he gets there, he attaches the weapon to the ship, and brings the ammo crate onboard. Or maybe the weapon is closer to the ship than the ammo, so he takes it there first, then grabs the ammunition they need. (Depending on the price of your dockworkers, some may be more efficient)

Using the mechanics I feel would be in the game already, (Like the grabby hands) depending on the item the NPC may require the help of an object, such as a forklift, or another NPC in order to carry it. Mounting a size 1 gun to a M50 may be a one person job lifting it in place. Mounting a size 5 gun to the nose of a Vanguard may be a 3 man job with a forklift. This would also allow you to make use of multiple NPC's and equipment if you have them. If you have a small hanger with one helper, and a big to-do list on your holotable, you might have to run and do some of those tasks yourself to save time. (I suspect missions can/will pop up using combinations of your mobiglass and helmet hud's. You can see what tasks are left, and do the ones you want) And it might take a long time for one NPC to do the list solo. If you're in a hurry, or running a larger hanger, you could have/hire more NPC's to do the job, or be "forced" to rent an NPC or forklift from the dockworkers union for a small price to meet your requirements for the job. (You could always use your friends to help too if they're just waiting to man a turret, etc) This would be a time vs money exchange to the local dockworker's union. Paying a bit to get the job done faster. (Or paying wage over time contracts to keep those NPC's hired semi-permanently) Or paying for a second NPC or equipment to come help with a large item for one part of the list. Maybe even having an urgency meter so they run instead of walk. (Increasing the chance of making a mistake maybe. Loading the wrong type of ammo, or falling and breaking an item)

The same mission/job type system would be used on ships. The weapons officer requires ammo to be loaded into a magazine in their capital ship. He flags it for reload, and a mission is created for a crewmember to grab it from the hold and transport it to where they can reload it. If you store the ammo close to the gun, it could be more efficient. Time and/or planning could pay off in urgent situations.

You could be specific, telling the AI exactly what crates/equipment you want, or have the AI make their own calls. You could specify what crate to fill the weapon magazine from, or have the AI grab the nearest box or unused ammo. (Taking a weapon or ammo off another ship as a last resort, or if they're doing it urgently they might grab it because it's closest) This kind of system would allow you to keep certain crates of backup weapons or ammo close to a particular ship on your hangar floor, and reduce the time outfitting it while at the same time causing a longer delay if an NPC has to go to another part of your hangar or warehouse, or remove an item from another ship in order to pick up the item and attach it to the desired ship.

You could hire an NPC to keep things organized as well in your hangar or warehouse, or do it yourself. (A foreman. Kinda like auto-sorting shortcuts on your desktop, vs the mayhem system some people have) Storing size 5 weapons next to an M50 would be silly and inefficient, unless you were running out of room. Your dockworker NPC might take off that laser weapon, (In the scenario above) and just set it down on the floor next to the ship temporarily. When he has time, the hired foreman would create a mission for that laser weapon to be moved, (You may have taken off by then) and an NPC will put it where it belongs. Run out of ammo or medical supplies? Let the reserve get too low? Have the foreman automatically order more when you get low. (Allow acceptable price ranges for automatic purchases. Doing it yourself may save some money. Money vs time/convenience tradeoff) When they arrive at your hangar, you can have the foreman create missions to refit the ships and resupply your storage. You could have pre-set loadouts for your ships too. Hit a button on your mobi glass when you land, and your ship is outfitted with default items. Refueled, weapons, ammo, missiles from storage. Maybe a minimum repair or two. This way you have some pre-set lists they can work on while you're running around doing other things.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i swear they sink more time and effort into weird staff vanity bullshit than the game itself

this is where the squillions have gone

Iglocska posted:

It's impossible to keep up with the thread, did INN ever verify Beer's e-mails? Or are they still having a busy Friday evening?

they didn't because, uh, the contents of those emails don't even matter? the game is going to be great anyways, and sandi has been pushed to breaking point, so cut her some slack.

they seriously wrote up a rank of their favourite internet spaceships instead

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

OH MY GOD! Someone needs to contact some loving news stations about this poo poo! :holy:

Hah, if you could message me, that would be great too :)

Edit: n/m I'm still kickstarting my plat

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Scruffpuff posted:

Alas, you do not have PMs.

Edit: Never mind.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Redditors are going to be making GBS threads the bed when they find out!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the sandi thing is loving hilarious. Best thing to come out of the thread in a long time

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

i swear they sink more time and effort into weird staff vanity bullshit than the game itself

this is where the squillions have gone

they didn't because, uh, the contents of those emails don't even matter? the game is going to be great anyways, and sandi has been pushed to breaking point, so cut her some slack.

they seriously wrote up a rank of their favourite internet spaceships instead

Wait what you are saying is that they wrote an article since? Nice.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fuctifino posted:

For those who haven't heard: You need a platinum account to read this message

She's not going to be happy. lol

in case someone missed it

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Mirificus posted:

*I want to work in a space warehouse*

Huh, CIG certainly has hit the right niche market of both incredibly gullible people, and the most boring people on this planet. Their must be a cheaper simulator game you could play.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 14, 2016

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Friendly Tumour posted:

in case someone missed it

I only have an old gold account :(

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Scruffpuff posted:

How can i put this, The answer I give is yes, but what I mean is no.
What was the question?

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

:staredog:

Tippis posted:

Also…

That sounds a lot like looting and hiding bodies in the MGS2+ games. My question is more why this has to be described in such detail. It's as if they're trying to pad their feature list by including every variation as its own unique thing, when all it is is some contextual dragging a body.

This is what is known as High Fidelity Immersion.

This might be the wrong place to ask but can you or somebody else replace the eyes with her smile and also make it avatar size. I want to buy gifs for low tax. I will buy avatar certs or space jpegs for you :allears:

mrking fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 13, 2016

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

Cargo and equipment management for Ship loading/unloading mechanics

Cause mini games to do poo poo don't get really loving tedious really loving quickly. Lol

See; lock picking in any game

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Redditors are going to be making GBS threads the bed when they find out!

nah, they'll figure out a way to handwave it away, looking forward to some really great infighting though

especially as it's so specific and directly contradicts at least two of their stated policies

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Berious posted:

Tom Cruise has more chance of coming out than Fart Shitizen

:chanpop: :captainpop:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

So glad I became a super goon and therefore privy to scandalous gossip that redditors WISH they could read.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
its such bullshit getting banned strips your platinum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
The word FACETIOUSLY contains the six vowels, A-E-I-O-U and Y, in their alphabetical order.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Can someone pm me what this sandi thing is? I can't read it... :[

PM sent

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Amazing just how much semen the human stomach can hold.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

So glad I became a super goon and therefore privy to scandalous gossip that redditors WISH they could read.

Supergoon™.

• Locked thread