Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wings are flying this off project faster than anticipated.

Like was mentioned several times before, watch some of the videos. The level of dejection apparent in the devs' faces speaks multitudes. Heck, the same thing was said (on the CGI forums) about the Illfonic team before that cord was unplugged. I think that was one of their last updates. They looked like they were beaten a few ounces of their lives.

The procedural generation thing was probably done by some poor sap who is sitting around trying to pad his resume in anticipation of the ultimate demise, has no direction in his job (since there is no ship pipleline), needed to appear busy, and wanted to show something to his manager for some weekly update crap. The manager, who probably has the same type of crap demands threw this baby on the projector during a management and they took off with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

MeLKoR posted:

If Sandi is Goebbels and Ben is Himmler who is Lando?

Sgt. Schultz

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

AP posted:

You picked up anymore closed dev accounts on RSI?

No. Last one was Thanksgiving-ish.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

Well something is happening.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Star Citizen: I am feeling grief

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I know when to sperg out
And when to melt ships
Get things done [spoken]

I catch the Lesnick boy
His lies don't really change
I'm standing on my ship
But I never get lift off

My wallet's out
it's out

There's the engine light
It's just the power to charm
Gary Oldman's come again
and a new ship just came out

But I try
I try

Never gonna fall for
JPEG Ships walks beside me
JPEG Ships spins on by
JPEG Ships gets Chris to the Bank on Time
Bank on Time terrifies me
Bank on Time takes my money
Bank on Time puts my trust in Derek Smart
Derek Smart no small rants no
Derek Smart no wheelchairs no
Derek Smart don't believe
in JPEG Ships

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

The procedural generation thing was probably done by some poor sap who is sitting around trying to pad his resume in anticipation of the ultimate demise, has no direction in his job (since there is no ship pipleline), needed to appear busy, and wanted to show something to his manager for some weekly update crap. The manager, who probably has the same type of crap demands threw this baby on the projector during a management and they took off with it.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15155-Monthly-Studio-Report

quote:

We already have some improvements in the works, and we will be updating as the new year goes on. The current plan, as shown in the prototype, is to experience the entire Star Citizen game world in first person, including from walking into your ship, flying and seamlessly landing from space to a docking station on a planet, walking around in first person, entering buildings and doing things at the higher visual fidelity we have shown.

They are already starting to walk stuff back. The current plan is what you say when things are changing all the time and you know you should/want to do something different.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I know when to sperg out
And when to melt ships
Get things done [spoken]

I catch the Lesnick boy
His lies don't really change
I'm standing on my ship
But I never get lift off

My wallet's out
it's out

There's the engine light
It's just the power to charm
Gary Oldman's come again
and a new ship just came out

But I try
I try

Never gonna fall for
JPEG Ships walks beside me
JPEG Ships spins on by
JPEG Ships gets Chris to the Bank on Time
Bank on Time terrifies me
Bank on Time takes my money
Bank on Time puts my trust in Derek Smart
Derek Smart no small rants no
Derek Smart no wheelchairs no
Derek Smart don't believe
in JPEG Ships

:five: Love it

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

AP posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15155-Monthly-Studio-Report

They are already starting to walk stuff back. The current plan is what you say when things are changing all the time and you know you should/want to do something different.

quote:

Thanks to everyone that pitched in, seeing and navigating around this 1000km diameter planetoid live in-game was and is an absolutely surreal and a mind blowing experience.
"live in-game" I guess that's why it said "Cryengine SANDBOX" at the top of the window.

quote:

Then procedural texturing and colors are applied to the surface in realtime depending on terrain shape and other information.
By "texturing and colors" I'm sure he means "lush Crysis fidelity jungle environments".

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

how long will it ultimately take to develop a pipeline for the pipelines?

Better call consultants in to help us streamline the process.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chin posted:

By "texturing and colors" I'm sure he means "lush Crysis fidelity jungle environments".
:parrot:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
A whale discovers their ships are not an investment: Are we buying or "gifting for a gift"? What time value does the ships have? [a concierge response]

quote:

As those of you who knows me around here, knows this is one of the topics that interest me a lot. First and foremost because I prefer knowing things, not having opinions, so I can make informed decisions.

So we have debated, thought, fighted and sacrificed rams in the name of having right.

arguing amongst our self can only give arguably funded positions tho, and even the best don't necessarily have to be tru, just well argued. So I went to concierge and asked for CIG's position.

DISCLAIMER: concierge apparently is not some uber inside source of information, just a 1000$ fancy name for customers support, so don't take this information as necessarily the word of CR

I wrote:

quote:

Hi support.

I have a question I really want answered, I have tried asking around the forums and several times from devs/CIG. As we all know time is a value. My TL:DR is what time value does a $ have in SC? From the beginning we have never gotten any even vaguely ballpark answer to this, and as our purchase is basically an exchange in $ to time, I think it's only fair to ask for the knowledge of what we are buying.

We have been told several times that buying pre-release gives us ships at a discount, rather then buying them post-release in game for purchased UEC. And that the very idea to buy UEC is to skip some of the time it takes to earn ships for those who rather don't have the time to earn them in game.

Based on this I purchased a lot more over my intended support for the project, because I knew that I'm one of the guys who will be paying to skip ahead at regular intervals. And getting a better deal early than later gave me all the excuse I needed, and also knowing you probably needed my money earlier rather than later I just saw a win win situation.

But recently I'm not sure what the facts are, the forum is full of statements that we did not buy anything, that we only donated? Is this true? That the ships are only a thank you token for a gift?

Many posts suggest that ships to hundreds of dollars can be earned in a matter of few days, giving $/hours rates really high? I kinda expected the $/hour to some where in the same ball park as other mainstream MMO's. Was I wrong to expect that?

What is the expected/planed ballpark $/hour earnings in CS? I really want to know. I want to buy more ships, especially whit the new unmelted tool. But I can't justify it if the ships can be earned with little effort, then I rather just earn them, as any purchase further from me is simply just to save time.

Merry Christmas, and best regards:
This letter also has my opinion on the matter. In response I got this:

quote:

Hi

Thanks for the mail.

Currently, CS do not have detailed information pertaining to this aspect of in-game versus real money comparison.

The problem here really is that the game's economy is still being worked out and designed, which makes it impossible to give any definitive answer.

However, I can already say that you won't be able to get the higher tiered ships in shorts amount of play time. These ships are supposed to have real value in-game. It won't be easy nor quick.

In essence, the best way to understand our system is to understand that, technically, yes, stricly speaking you are pledging to support this game and in return we give you the game, some goodies and a ship as a thank-you.

The game packages which you would buy post-launch will easily sell at AAA release prices and are expected NOT to include a ship at all. You'd just be buying the game - but will likely get a little ship after having completed the single player campaign.

So, you're getting the game much cheaper and a ship to boot.

I am sorry that I am not able to fully address and answer your question at this point. :(

Regards
Patrick
So apparently my argued position to my surprise was wrong. We are getting a gift for a gift. We are not buying anything, and ships can easily become worthless time vice.

So those buying ships now to save time in game and get a good deal now rather than later really should not buy anymore. Because this apparently has no guarantees.

But I respond to just be sure:

quote:

Hi, thank you for a detailed reply.

I just want some clarification.

You say:
"In essence, the best way to understand our system is to understand that, technically, yes, stricly speaking you are pledging to support this game and in return we give you the game, some goodies and a ship as a thank-you."

So this the official position to CIG? That ships are only a "thank you, for a pledge"?
I find that contradictory with every ship sale the letters says we are "buying" ships, and an receipt specifically says "thank you for your purchase" as well as they are sold from a "store", and you can view other "buying options". Word use like, "last chance to buy.." Just to mention a few

If ships really is a gift as a thank-you for a pledge/donation, the word use on the web site and communications really don't reflect this. In in all honesty should. Because it has lead me and others to believe we are buying something of time value. If it's only a gift for a donation, there is no promises of any time value.

But what about this official letter with the quote:

"We intended backers to get a benefit for backing early rather than waiting for a finished game and one way was by obtaining ships that ultimately will be more expensive once the game is “live”."
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13249-Letter-From-The-Chairman-18-Million

Is this still true?
The response i got today was:

quote:

Hi again

This is the spirit if crowd-funding. You are pledging in support of an idea.

However, legal specifics complicate this, of course, to make sure the consumer is protected.

In a normal pledging model (via KS) for instance you would normally not entitled for refunds, for example. In contrast, we offer 14 day refunds for everyone (in line with most EU consumer protection laws pertaining to sales of digital goods).

We do so out of courtesy because we understand that people make mistakes sometimes.

We are not legally obligated to refund pledges after this 14 day grace period.

The last comment you quote is in reference to in-game costs not real life costs. It is expected that the current pledging system will not be offered once the game goes live. It then becomes a subjective matter relating to particulars still to be determined by leadership and, as such, I am unable to comment or speculate - we're only CS not designers :)

I hope this helps!

Regards
Patrick
So the $18m quote does not seam to mean much longer at CIG unfortunately.

This is a bit of shame. Yes I supported the game, and have done my fair share to.

But the information in the past that we are getting ships cheaper pre-release vs post-release made me buy a segifigant portion more than I would only simply gift to CIG. I expected an investment in time from buying early rather than later.

So i have to say, though I really want to buy more ships, especially with the un melt tool. But as ships can be for all we know from this not worth many hours of play. And that's not something I want to buy if I just can get it so easy.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFv6Hoe5wE8&t=515s

Won't sell ships after launch, however will sell UEC which allows you to buys ships, also will sell game packages which include ships (like the aurora, hornet or something).

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
This is all happening sooner than I hoped.

The whales are restless and the narrative of ships not being bought but being free gifts is starting to break down. The brown sea in general is starting to question why everything is taking so long.

Yes. Let the hate flow through you. Yes. Feed us.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TTerrible posted:

This is all happening sooner than I hoped.

The whales are restless and the narrative of ships not being bought but being free gifts is starting to break down. The brown sea in general is starting to question why everything is taking so long.

Yes. Let the hate flow through you. Yes. Feed us.

I get some very odd Deus Ex Icarus vibe from this…

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6237587/#Comment_6237587

quote:

I have become more and more uncomfortable with the amount I pledged from about mid 2014 onward as CIG keeps going back on their word on both pledging and gameplay

At this point i'd happily take a refund on everything except for a Sabre package

If CIG did what they said they would when they took my money I would be more than happy, but they aren't

is it gaining momentum? i don't want to be optimistic but it feels like it

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
INN contacted me. No further action. All they've done is add this to their post:

quote:

Ed's note: The statement below could be interpreted as us debating the validity of the content of the emails. We are not here to do that; we simply take issue with the form they are cited in, not the context. We do not believe that the email chain, as used, is a valid source to use in an article.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

INN contacted me. No further action. All they've done is add this to their post:

lol what an absolutely wussy copout

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ehhhh… what? Why on earth wouldn't it be a valid source? :confused:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Meanwhile OMG NEW ARMOR LOOK AT THIS poo poo I'M SO GLAD THEY HAVE THEIR PRIORITIES IN LINE!

Seriously thought it's badass power armor. I wonder if someone finally convinced CR that blocking your FOV is retarded or if your view is even more limited when that shield comes down?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Excuse me they are a credible news outlet with the highest journalistic standards. Not fact checking sources that contradict your article is stand-:gary: :gary: :gary: :gary: PARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I can't wait for the next RTV's

It will be interesting to see how Ben copes with the stress of keeping the whales at bay...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

lol what an absolutely wussy copout

What an absolute fiasco.

This poo poo heap is imploding faster than imagined.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The problem here really is that the game's economy is still being worked out and designed, which makes it impossible to give any definitive answer.

too big for the gifferator

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Meanwhile OMG NEW ARMOR LOOK AT THIS poo poo I'M SO GLAD THEY HAVE THEIR PRIORITIES IN LINE!

Seriously thought it's badass power armor. I wonder if someone finally convinced CR that blocking your FOV is retarded or if your view is even more limited when that shield comes down?

Yeah, they must have stole assets from The Dead Space files.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

A Neurotic Jew posted:

it goes without saying that there's also a bunch of brown-nosing going on in those threads, but it's definitely more griping than what I usually see and from higher-level backers.

are we actually seeing the beginning of the end unfolding in front of our eyes? please don't get my hopes up, i have been waiting too long for this!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's what? A week after their blog post about it and how they crowed about it was fake?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

these look great

going to look even better stuck in the t animation or glued to the front of ships

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

SO.BLAND.GOOD.GOD.drat.
It's like something you'd see in the background of a lovely star wars comic.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

alex smith called

he wants his tiny hands back

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That is some nice-looking poo poo. I hope those artists find work soon so we can see them in a game.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

gotta respect them for sticking to the "boring generic sci-fi bullshit" motif, it's the only thing that's been completely consistent throughout this hellride

also lol at the whales finally trashing the whaling fleet

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Madcosby posted:

too big for the gifferator

Imagine what the five economists on staff talk about around the water cooler at their offices.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6237587/#Comment_6237587

is it gaining momentum? i don't want to be optimistic but it feels like it

That's Battlesmurf, he's been throwing tantrums for years.

https://www.reddit.com/user/BattleSmurfSC

quote:

I am a Scythe owner and I am loving FURIOUS
Chris Roberts lied and spit in my face and didn't even have the decency to offer me a CCU to the Glaive.
This is the last straw I have contacted concierge. I can't even buy the Glaive because im building a new gaming pc and won't make the first 1,000
If I hear one more troll tell me CIG didn't lie because the glaive is just a better scythe variant....

quote:

I will pay $450 for a glaive

There are old RSI posts of his that are hilarious too.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SC Pipeline revealed

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

SO.BLAND.GOOD.GOD.drat.
It's like something you'd see in the background of a lovely star wars comic.

I never played Mass Effect but thats what I would expect it to look like.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

crysis 4 looks generic and bland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

When the dust settles, after this bloated whaler ship implodes, this guy might just be regarded as patient zero.

• Locked thread