Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

WillieWestwood posted:

All you had to do was right-click on the start menu, go to Control Panel, and go to a previous restore point.

Yeah I tried that and it didn't work :\ I didn't install anything new just went to bed woke up and clicked on the naked lady jpg and start menu no longer worked. I have since again clicked on the jpeg and no problems so far.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I just realised System Restore wasn't enabled by default. There MS has a useful feature and doesn't turn it on.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
That's because System Restore is depreciated. Reset My PC works better.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Segmentation Fault posted:

How so, if you just want to back away from a change?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.

Far from being depreciated, it is actually a central option in "reset my PC".

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Honestly I've never bothered with System Restore, I found that when you need to use it it doesn't quite get the job done. Maybe that's changed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Honestly I've never bothered with System Restore, I found that when you need to use it it doesn't quite get the job done. Maybe that's changed.

Did you last use it in Windows ME? It's worked solidly since XP, as long as the thing you're trying to recover from isn't "my computer got a virus 6 months ago". It's especially good at bailing you out if the problem starts as soon as something new is installed.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Here’s what Microsoft plans to do with display scaling on Windows 10 Redstone

quote:

In a series buried away in the Insider Hub called “Made by you,” the Windows team goes into great length and detail about how things are going change when it comes to scaling in Windows 10.

"Scaling is a complex problem for the open Windows ecosystem, which has to support devices ranging in size from roughly 4” to 84,” with densities ranging from 50DPI to 500DPI. In Windows 10 we took steps to consolidate and simplify our developer story for scaling and to improve the end-user visual experience. Stay tuned for future release!”

Thanks to some detailed criticism and real-world examples provided by the Windows 10 Insider community, the Windows team can accurately tailor upcoming Windows 10 development to cater to the increasing pixel density wars developers are encountering.

quote:

Perhaps, the most front-facing UI element on any Windows users desktop are the mismatch of icons representing open folders, most used programs, and most accessed content. Examples include the Lync app and desktop icons. Microsoft plans to address this in Redstone.

quote:

Blurry bitmap scaling of content

Another instance in which the Windows team is looking to address, specifically, in Office apps. Even though the UWP (the ones that took forever to release) are fully per-monitor scaled in Windows 10, classic desktop apps are unfortunately still utilizing older Windows “system scaling factors,” resulting in blurry bitmap scaling when docked on a second monitor. Other poorly displayed bitmapping desktop applications include Notepad++, Chrome, and Firefox. The Windows team is working feverishly (well maybe not for Chrome of Firefox’s sake) at improving migration tools for more complex Win32 applications.

Somewhat encouraging, albeit what MS actually ships and considers 'solved' can be a little different from what we hope. Still good to hear the scaling and UI consistency is noted as a concern at least.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Except when it doesn't in my case. I got a notification they my PC couldn't be reset. So had to reformat and reinstall from scratch.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
New Insider build out for the fast track.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/13/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-11099/

Nothing sexy in this one but it does show the file transfer window again.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Just installed the 11099 release and it is listed as Build 11099.rs1_release.160109-1156 so might be the next public release build.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Is there a way to have File History back up to a cloud drive?

It seems like a complete and utter no brainer to include given cloud popularity and I'd be pretty surprised and disappointed if this weren't an option.

I don't have a partition or a second HD, and I'm not on a home network. So it seems like my only option is usb, which is not something I always have plugged into my laptop. I don't really want to have to go hunting for my usb stick every time File History wants to make a new back up.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

-Blackadder- posted:

Is there a way to have File History back up to a cloud drive?

It seems like a complete and utter no brainer to include given cloud popularity and I'd be pretty surprised and disappointed if this weren't an option.

I don't have a partition or a second HD, and I'm not on a home network. So it seems like my only option is usb, which is not something I always have plugged into my laptop. I don't really want to have to go hunting for my usb stick every time File History wants to make a new back up.

Nope

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Well that's sucks. Not sure what I'm supposed to do as far as back up solutions going forward. I remember I tried Acronis way back in the day, but never really used it, that was before cloud tech though. What are the best cloud back up solutions these days?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Lowtechs posted:

Just installed the 11099 release and it is listed as Build 11099.rs1_release.160109-1156 so might be the next public release build.

Does it have a desktop watermark? That's the usual telltale for a public release build.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Rusty! posted:

Does it have a desktop watermark?

Affirmative.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

-Blackadder- posted:

Well that's sucks. Not sure what I'm supposed to do as far as back up solutions going forward. I remember I tried Acronis way back in the day, but never really used it, that was before cloud tech though. What are the best cloud back up solutions these days?

I use Crashplan which works fine for both local and cloud backups. I think I pay like $4-5 a month and I've had multiple restorations due to dead drives without issue. Just be advised the client for Synology NAS is user maintained and breaks every other loving week when Synology updates their OS. If you don't have a Synology NAS then you can ignore that. There's a backup thread here for more info on various backup solutions.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.
Crashplan is great because even on their free tier, you can do a 3-2-1 backup using a friend / families computer as an offsite backup, and can seed this with an external drive really easily.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rusty! posted:

Does it have a desktop watermark? That's the usual telltale for a public release build.
Evaluation copy. Build 11099.rs1_release.160109-1156

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Good news for the latest Windows 10 patch Tuesday patches for January 2016 - seems to have fixed the resume from sleep login issue. The screen now responds to a keyboard press to allow you to log back in, whereas before in some cases you needed to click the screen.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Good news for the latest Windows 10 patch Tuesday patches for January 2016 - seems to have fixed the resume from sleep login issue. The screen now responds to a keyboard press to allow you to log back in, whereas before in some cases you needed to click the screen.

You know, I thought it was weird the one time I logged into my desktop while this was a problem, then I never saw it again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I know you can run

C# code:
powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery_report.html"
But is there an app that will work with this data better? I was hoping for some sort of Android 5.0 style battery graph. The report this one generates is a bit... bleak.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Finally got my bizarre search behavior largely ironed out, at least for the time being. Search would only sporadically give results from Settings in the main window, and searching from the new Settings CP directly would only reveal the older control panel entries or often nothing at all. Search would continually complain that it was still indexing, results would be unpredictable, image placeholders would be missing from My Stuff searches, etc.

The 'solution' was just to rebuild the index (which I've already done many times before) but perhaps the latest update finally fixed the underlying issue and the index rebuild was still required to complete the fix. Finally getting consistent results now.

The only possible regression in behavior from before that I can see is that any documents outside of the local Documents/Music/Files etc folders, despite being included in Libraries, don't show up from the main search window and I'm always required to click My Stuff to get results from them. I thought this might be due to redirecting my Onedrive from the standard location inside my User folder to D: to save space on my SSD, but my Google Drive results aren't returned either - and it's under my User folder. I've removed and re-added these folders to the existing Libraries with no change, always required to click My Stuff to get results for local files that don't exist in the standard User folders.

Again though, the results I got before were so random this may have been the intended behavior all along and now it's actually working as designed, it's at least predictable behavior (soon as I save a document insider c:\users\username\documents it's returned in the first search window immediately). Still a bit annoying - does everyone else have to click My Stuff to get file hits from folders outside of the standard local folder within user?

Edit: This is apparently normal behavoir, search results from the primary search window will not show files outside of C:\Users, regardless if they are in a library or not. So if you change the location of Onedrive to another drive, you'll have to click My Stuff to get results (which is dumb).

The reason I wasn't getting Google Drive results even though it's folder was still in C:\Users was because indexing wasn't working on it at all as the SYSTEM user was completely missing from the primary folder. Added it back with full permissions and I'm getting gdrive search results at least.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 18, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ILikeVoltron posted:

You know, I thought it was weird the one time I logged into my desktop while this was a problem, then I never saw it again.

I spoke too soon. On my friend's laptop here, if I put it to Sleep via the Start menu and don't close the lid, the keyboard works fine. If I close the lid and trigger Sleep, the screen needs to be clicked before it registers keyboard input. I think it's something to do with the graphics drivers because the screen seems to flash briefly when I open the lid again.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Finally got my bizarre search behavior largely ironed out, at least for the time being. Search would only sporadically give results from Settings in the main window, and searching from the new Settings CP directly would only reveal the older control panel entries or often nothing at all. Search would continually complain that it was still indexing, results would be unpredictable, image placeholders would be missing from My Stuff searches, etc.

The 'solution' was just to rebuild the index (which I've already done many times before) but perhaps the latest update finally fixed the underlying issue and the index rebuild was still required to complete the fix. Finally getting consistent results now.

The only possible regression in behavior from before that I can see is that any documents outside of the local Documents/Music/Files etc folders, despite being included in Libraries, don't show up from the main search window and I'm always required to click My Stuff to get results from them. I thought this might be due to redirecting my Onedrive from the standard location inside my User folder to D: to save space on my SSD, but my Google Drive results aren't returned either - and it's under my User folder. I've removed and re-added these folders to the existing Libraries with no change, always required to click My Stuff to get results for local files that don't exist in the standard User folders.

Again though, the results I got before were so random this may have been the intended behavior all along and now it's actually working as designed, it's at least predictable behavior (soon as I save a document insider c:\users\username\documents it's returned in the first search window immediately). Still a bit annoying - does everyone else have to click My Stuff to get file hits from folders outside of the standard local folder within user?

Edit: This is apparently normal behavoir, search results from the primary search window will not show files outside of C:\Users, regardless if they are in a library or not. So if you change the location of Onedrive to another drive, you'll have to click My Stuff to get results (which is dumb).

The reason I wasn't getting Google Drive results even though it's folder was still in C:\Users was because indexing wasn't working on it at all as the SYSTEM user was completely missing from the primary folder. Added it back with full permissions and I'm getting gdrive search results at least.

Search is hands down my biggest disappointment with Windows 10. It's even worse than Windows 8.1, at least there I could hit Winkey + F to search for files.

I have the same issue as you. I have most of my stuff stored on a secondary internal drive and the Start menu search is a joke. The cynic in me thinks they're just trying to boost the number of Bing searches registered or something. The technology is there to make searching good - the Windows 7-style Start menu in Start10 brings back search that actually frigging works.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Search is hands down my biggest disappointment with Windows 10. It's even worse than Windows 8.1, at least there I could hit Winkey + F to search for files.
Oh yeah, I've ranted about it repeatedly. This at least gives me consistent results now which is an improvement, but that's not saying much. If they can't change this behavior it would at least help a ton to have a specific shortcut to always go immediately to My Stuff, like Winkey+Shift or something.

Not giving back search results for a redirected Onedrive folder is truly bizarre, you're prompting users to save everything in there, giving them 1TB of space with an Office 365 account - chances are they're not going to storing that on their boot SSD if given the choice, but it's still going to be the primary source for their documents so its search results should be prioritized. Not to mention of course no email, contacts or appointment results - hell, there is simply no way to search for appointments even in the Calendar app at all, you need to use a third party cal app to search for appts. Wtf.

BTW, anyone know what the heck this option does?

It's seemingly random which files trigger this appearing. You click it, Cortana thinks from anywhere to 2-5 seconds...

...then returns results from My Stuff. WTF is the point of it?

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 18, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
Is there actually a search replacement that's actually good?
Win 10 search makes me yearn for the days of Google desktop.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Khablam posted:

I've been using Everything for a few years and it's never let me down.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

hooah posted:

I've been using Everything for a few years and it's never let me down.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to activate Everything from anywhere?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut to activate Everything from anywhere?

Not that I'm aware of. I don't need to search often enough that that bothers me. I suppose you might be able to use something like AutoHotkey to bind a key to launch Everything.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
It's in the Everything settings. I have mine as Win+ALT+S. Works as long as the Everything sys tray is running. Though I mostly just click the taskbar shortcut.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

MeKeV posted:

It's in the Everything settings. I have mine as Win+ALT+S. Works as long as the Everything sys tray is running. Though I mostly just click the taskbar shortcut.

Which specific field do I fill in?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Khablam posted:

I use Agent Ransack. It's pretty decent, but it's not an indexed searching utility for constant use.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I might just hijack the Start key to use with Everything. I don't really use the Start key for anything except launching programs that aren't pinned to the taskbar so if Everything can do that I'm set.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
Everything works well, thanks for the suggestion. Doesn't do content searches but I guess I can just rely on windows for that when I need it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
There is something seriously wrong with my W10 laptop, I'm getting the 100% disk utilisation error at all times outside safe mode. It is almost completely unresponsive. I've tried the usual fixes, I've disabled superfetch, Wsearch, and background intelligent transfer service. No luck. Nothing detected through windows defender or Microsoft safety scanner.

Could it be a problem with the pagefile, or Windows update, or some 3rd party driver?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Phobophilia posted:

There is something seriously wrong with my W10 laptop, I'm getting the 100% disk utilisation error at all times outside safe mode. It is almost completely unresponsive. I've tried the usual fixes, I've disabled superfetch, Wsearch, and background intelligent transfer service. No luck. Nothing detected through windows defender or Microsoft safety scanner.

Could it be a problem with the pagefile, or Windows update, or some 3rd party driver?

What's your drive, and how much RAM do you have? Also, do any programs in Details view of task manager show up as having high numbers if you turn on the various I/O columns?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I have a 2tb hdd, and 8gb of ram. Off the top of my head, I'm not at home. I'll check utilisations on other columns later, but cpu and ram are normal.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Anyone know if something changed with the way Win10 uses remote desktop connections? I can connect to one of my machines (win7) from my linux and other win7 boxes, but I have a win10 laptop that can't connect at all. I don't know what would have changed from the client side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Anyone know if something changed with the way Win10 uses remote desktop connections? I can connect to one of my machines (win7) from my linux and other win7 boxes, but I have a win10 laptop that can't connect at all. I don't know what would have changed from the client side.
Same username/domain, right?

Whats the error? Bad password or can't connect? Can you ping the machine?