Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:lesnick: is focussing on the important bug reports

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/687376675806420993

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AP posted:

They'll probably have enough money to last until October which will give them another sale period and enough money to last well into 2017. Their problem is that people are actually starting to expect a game and expecting it fairly soon, the image problem is bigger than the funding issue now. They still made over 60k yesterday, 2.0 might actually have raised their 20k/day funding floor in the same way that DayZ raked in loads of cash.

The burn rate of their cash has to be incredible. Guess what I'm saying is 60K/day funding is nothing with the operations they have going on. At 500 employees with multiple studios they have to be plowing through 4-5 million of expenses monthly, and that is being generous. My better guess is drat near twice that.

People get hung up with the furnishings, bagels, etc. And yeah, that is always a consideration in calculating costs. But in the grand scheme of things, salaries (benefits/FICA/insurance/ etc.) compose a vast majority of the expenses endured by a company. In some cases it can reach up to 80% of total expenses depending on the industry sector.

Guess what I'm getting at is the $10K couch is a blip on the radar...yet shouldn't have been done. But at the end of the day it will have kept them operating for a few more hours if they didn't buy it. The biggest mistake is the utter disregard of respect with backer dollars. A $500 couch from Ikea or something would have sufficed. Drunk sailors with cash is how this is going.

I have to imagine they are just handing invoices left and right to AP with a smile.

We can go into cloud costs, but for the most part since no one can really play the drat game it is fairly cheap. Transfer/bandwidth costs are fairly cheap. Once they get it stable is where things actually get costly. My best guess it costs them around 20-30 cents for each 10GB patch per user guessing on user count. I'm going off of Azure cloud pricing which I'm quite familiar with...Microsoft and Amazon are fairly competitive with pricing hence my guess.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

The burn rate of their cash has to be incredible. Guess what I'm saying is 60K/day funding is nothing with the operations they have going on. At 500 employees with multiple studios they have to be plowing through 4-5 million of expenses monthly, and that is being generous. My better guess is drat near twice that.

Don't forget the salaries of A-list actors, or stuff like hiring a full symphony orchestra to re-record the same piece 30 times... or the expensive computers, real-estate and overpriced furniture.

I'm so looking forward to the day when their income drops to fuckall. I think they only have a month or two's cash in reserves.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Colostomy Bag posted:

People get hung up with the furnishings, bagels, etc. And yeah, that is always a consideration in calculating costs. But in the grand scheme of things, salaries (benefits/FICA/insurance/ etc.) compose a vast majority of the expenses endured by a company. In some cases it can reach up to 80% of total expenses depending on the industry sector.

Guess what I'm getting at is the $10K couch is a blip on the radar...yet shouldn't have been done. But at the end of the day it will have kept them operating for a few more hours if they didn't buy it. The biggest mistake is the utter disregard of respect with backer dollars. A $500 couch from Ikea or something would have sufficed. Drunk sailors with cash is how this is going.

I have to imagine they are just handing invoices left and right to AP with a smile.

We can go into cloud costs, but for the most part since no one can really play the drat game it is fairly cheap. Transfer/bandwidth costs are fairly cheap. Once they get it stable is where things actually get costly. My best guess it costs them around 20-30 cents for each 10GB patch per user guessing on user count. I'm going off of Azure cloud pricing which I'm quite familiar with...Microsoft and Amazon are fairly competitive with pricing hence my guess.

I would loving LOVE to know just how much it's costing them, god I wish we could just get a proper look at their expenses and how much has been needlessly spent.

Just to see them try and justify it.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I have figured out star citizens patch code. Each XML edit is 1 g/b. Doors are 7 g/b. If the math doesn't work, please correct me.

paaarp

Edit: new patch broke certain ships even worse. You fall through the floors even easier now. I would love to see the code to this game, it probably looks like a spaghetti monster.

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 14, 2016

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
the number of gigabytes is equivalent to the number of progreesses being made

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

who want's to buy my clean account for $45!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

I'm so looking forward to the day when their income drops to fuckall. I think they only have a month or two's cash in reserves.

if they're denying fellow goon refunds for $200 because they "don't have the money" i think they're running extremely close to the bottom of the barrel

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
What is it with CIG and elevators anyway? The first iteration of PTU 2.0 you couldn't use the elevators because the game would crash. You had to actually select you wanted to go from one place to another via the menu in order to avoid it cause it took them well over a week to figure out what was causing the elevator to crash people and then fix it (I don't even remember if/when they fixed it to be honest, just that it existed for a good week or more). When people say "Thing are only going to go up from here" regarding this game's progress they're forgetting that CIG can't even make things that go up work right. Then again by that same metric things can't go any lower for them either.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOyl10iT3c8

GOTY, the chat read is a bonus.

I am tempted to redownload this game and pay 45 bucks again to play but nah, i'll pass.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

if they're denying fellow goon refunds for $200 because they "don't have the money" i think they're running extremely close to the bottom of the barrel

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15155-Monthly-Studio-Report

quote:

We rocked it hard on the art side in LA during the month of December in 2015. We’ve been working tenaciously to build closer towards some anxiously anticipated releases, such as clothes shopping in the PU, and Squadron 42.

:homebrew:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6236769/#Comment_6236769

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOyl10iT3c8

GOTY, the chat read is a bonus.

I am tempted to redownload this game and pay 45 bucks again to play but nah, i'll pass.

"i'm stuck on a ladder"
"try WASD"
"i'm trying i cant seem to get free"
"ur flotting"

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

lol what PU - it doesn't loving exist

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

If Sandi is Goebbels and Ben is Himmler who is Lando?

This is wrong. Lando is Himmler. Ben is Hermann Goering: he was a big wing commander fan back in the day and grew obese and decadent when he entered the inner circle.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Meanwhile OMG NEW ARMOR LOOK AT THIS poo poo I'M SO GLAD THEY HAVE THEIR PRIORITIES IN LINE!

Seriously thought it's badass power armor. I wonder if someone finally convinced CR that blocking your FOV is retarded or if your view is even more limited when that shield comes down?

The helmet isn't that big of an issue, since it can be written off as having visual sensor inputs and an inside display that makes it looks transparent.

My main problem with the armor is that too segmented to be of any use, especially in the torso. It's that "made out of razor blades" look and that doesn't visually construe "durable" or "tough". They don't look like they're connected or reinforced. It looks like a single bullet impact will throw off whole undamaged panels left and right.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I would loving LOVE to know just how much it's costing them, god I wish we could just get a proper look at their expenses and how much has been needlessly spent.

Just to see them try and justify it.

Well, I made a mistake...I think they are doing google VM's as opposed to Amazon Ec2.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/data-transfers/

is a breakdown of the bandwidth costs per GB transferred out. This is of course assuming they are something similar with their peers which I'm fairly confident...I get daily emails because it is basically a race to the bottom type of thing with pricing. So I basically went for the 350TB tier, kind of did a quasi calculation between the "call for a quote" line. In short, data transfer charges are negligible in the grand scheme of things no matter how many patches they throw out.

In short, patches out on their end wouldn't raise a eyebrow on their expenses.

Now...that I somewhat covered their basic operational expenses in regards to salaries and rents...Wait till we get to actual VM costs. The cloud ain't cheap.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/Beer4TheBeerGod/status/687445389625131008

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well, I made a mistake...I think they are doing google VM's as opposed to Amazon Ec2.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/data-transfers/

is a breakdown of the bandwidth costs per GB transferred out. This is of course assuming they are something similar with their peers which I'm fairly confident...I get daily emails because it is basically a race to the bottom type of thing with pricing. So I basically went for the 350TB tier, kind of did a quasi calculation between the "call for a quote" line. In short, data transfer charges are negligible in the grand scheme of things no matter how many patches they throw out.

In short, patches out on their end wouldn't raise a eyebrow on their expenses.

Now...that I somewhat covered their basic operational expenses in regards to salaries and rents...Wait till we get to actual VM costs. The cloud ain't cheap.

Bloody hell, good work man.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
I don't l like the answer. Therefore customer service is wrong

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6237504/#Comment_6237504

Ditto

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6237560/#Comment_6237560

CIG using terms like "buy" and "pre-order" is semantic nonsense

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6237779/#Comment_6237779

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Look at these assholes clogging up CS with their bullshit.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

We had a few people with background in the industry and access to quality sources try to do such estimate before in the thread (around page 850+ i believe). We know they pay below industry rate and benefit from good taxes incentives in the UK and Germany studio. They are by most accounts under 300 staff and the burn rate was estimated to be around 2.9M$ - 3.2M$ for each month.

Unless something drastic (like a failed sale or the result of a lawsuit edging a wave of people to ask for refunds) happen they are probably good for one more year if they downsize a little and have 2 more average sales.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I was reminded of SC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ9oBCLwwL0

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

aleksendr posted:

if they downsize a little and have 2 more average sales.

And in your opinion what are the chances of that happening? :allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Just posting to less you all know to stop posting since I'm only on page 1262. Goddamnit, y'all are like loving Rabbits with this poo poo.

STOP POSTING FOR ABOUT 5 HRS SO I CAN CATCH UP, YOU ASSHOLES

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Someone PM me the Sandi thing, especially if it's Goatse.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Just posting to less you all know to stop posting since I'm only on page 1262. Goddamnit, y'all are like loving Rabbits with this poo poo.

hey mr smart, can i just say, thanks for your blog posts and posting routinely in this thread, and i sincerely hope you hang around as a goon long after this nonsense with SC fizzles into oblivion

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

You need a platinum account to read this message.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

D_Smart posted:

Just admit it, you're the one bribing the Steadfast techs to “accidentally” disable SA's account two nights in a row, all so you can catch up. :colbert:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

D_Smart posted:

when you catch up and read this thread, consider this me saying "I told you so."

because you shouldn't read it nothing happened

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

D_Smart posted:

Ok, no more posting.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

i dont know anything about what architecture is required to support an mmo and havent seen anything from CIG that would point to "how" they are planning to run this but....

yeah, VM costs for prod let alone test/staging and HA/DR plans will be $$$

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hey assholes.

STOP POSTING

Stop everything until Derek gives permission to continue.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

I just don't know what else to say to him, the cognitive dissonance is just too great.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Are you trying to compare Chris Roberts to John Lennon, or Sandi Gardiner to Yoko Ono because holy poo poo yoko ono drops turds with more artistry than either of them

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
derek you are the OP you can literally close the thread and open it when you catch up!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Kavak posted:

Someone PM me the Sandi thing, especially if it's Goatse.

Sandi and chris were caught doing this thing and....look i'll pm it to you :D be warned it's a real hoochie-coo!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

Sir, I have actually read a few of your blog posts. So respectfully, no keep reading.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is there anything persistent in the 'persistant universe' alpha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Hey assholes.

STOP POSTING

Stop everything until Derek gives permission to continue.

Hey Derek we'll stop posting when you start posting law suit details or a 1000 word review of elite dangerous/horizons

• Locked thread