Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

Is Just Enough Items a rewrite of NEI or something? I'm at work so can't reliably google.

Yes but worse... I think. I gave up pretty early on. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

I actually feel the opposite, in that I absolutely hate the servo/filter/retriever system. Making them is a pain in the rear end and clogs my chests with nuggets, then I have to go and spend enderium or other annoying-to-make materials on loving servos to make them go at a resonable rate or get at places to upgrade them and aargh just give me back my pneumatic servos and crescent wrench.

OTOH, trying to ditch TE pipes got me to finally play around with Transfer Pipes from ExU. They're actually pretty terrible if you try to use them for pipes, but at least now I know!

Transfer Pipes are good for short distances or small quantities of items, and for specific things they are designed to do. They're also (potentially) a low-lag item/fluid transfer method. You can also upgrade them to path intelligently but it's not cheap.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Thyrork posted:

Yes but worse... I think. I gave up pretty early on. :shrug:

WAILA was probably the cause, and is still kinda unstable. It got another update today. JEI is very stable.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I started playing Baby's First Space Race, and the Hipster Torches quest in Bear Grylls isn't completable. I cooked the stone but it's still making TiCon stone tool rods.

Edit: .. this pack has some interesting mob mods. Just ran across a legendary slime that dropped a division sigil...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone know if there are any mods like Iron Chests or other simple chest-sprawl-reduction mods for 1.8.9 yet? Iron Chests itself appears to be only up to 1.8.8 and won't load :(

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ambaire posted:

I started playing Baby's First Space Race, and the Hipster Torches quest in Bear Grylls isn't completable. I cooked the stone but it's still making TiCon stone tool rods.

Edit: .. this pack has some interesting mob mods. Just ran across a legendary slime that dropped a division sigil...

Known issue. I fixed it . . . twice. I'm not sure why the first time did not stick. The quest accidentally was set to use Forge's stick, not the right one.

I had not uploaded the fix yet because I was waiting to see if there other issues, and I was doodling around with the tutorial dimension.

Edit: Yes, the infernal mobs drop crazy loot. I figured the drops made sense with all the ore running around.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Pound_Coin posted:

Is there a modpack anywhere that's a middle ground between tekkit and legeneds? I want to like legends but lack of TE and AE2 is a dealbreaker.

you could try TPPI 1 or TPPI 2

it has IC2, BC, TE, Tinkers, Thaum, Witchery. Ars, Botania, AE / AE2 (tppi 1 has AE tppi2 has AE2)
tppi1 also has Chisel, Modular power Suits, MFFS, Big reactors, open blocks, Ender IO etc.

edit: and Mekanism, Minefactory Reloaded, Gregtech and loads of the addons to Thaum etc.

edit 2: railcraft, steves factory manager, open computers.... All paths are equally balanced with tweaks to the recipes to make them so.

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 12, 2016

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone know if there are any mods like Iron Chests or other simple chest-sprawl-reduction mods for 1.8.9 yet? Iron Chests itself appears to be only up to 1.8.8 and won't load :(

There's a 1.8.9 that was released an hour ago. http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/228756-iron-chests#t1:other-downloads

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Score! Thanks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So much time spent playing Regrowth has led to me being unable to remember how to easily farm things like Ender Pearls in a game with pretttty much just Thaumcraft. :saddowns:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

So much time spent playing Regrowth has led to me being unable to remember how to easily farm things like Ender Pearls in a game with pretttty much just Thaumcraft. :saddowns:

Looting sword, especially in The End. A drop farm is good too.

I think that's it. If you have no access to autospawning then you won't be getting ender pearls. Some thaumcraft addons have autospawning capability, though...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Boo hiss, I hate mob farms. I bet none of the thaumcraft addons are working with TC5 or 1.8.9 yet, either.

Wonder when Magical Crops is coming to 1.8.9 :v:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Ha, I tried to get in Thaumcraft semi-blind. Okay, I see I'm combining essences. Research points, okay, that's my resource, cool.

Okay, now unlock a new research item in the Thaumonicon, and oh, a puzzle minigame that wastes this resource when you get it wrong? For every research item? Fuuuuuck that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TC5 replaces that particular piece of fuckery with something more tolerable, at least.

TC5 question, did something with the crucible change? I'm trying to break down wool into string using it, and the book says one perditio is enough, so I dump in a cobble and then the wool, but the wool gets turned into essentia instead of it producing the string. What gives?

(edit) Oh maybe it's because I haven't actually researched it yet, just looked up the formula in JEI. Derp. (edit again: yep that did it, hurr i'm good at video games)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 13, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Devor posted:

Ha, I tried to get in Thaumcraft semi-blind. Okay, I see I'm combining essences. Research points, okay, that's my resource, cool.

Okay, now unlock a new research item in the Thaumonicon, and oh, a puzzle minigame that wastes this resource when you get it wrong? For every research item? Fuuuuuck that.

Turn on cheats to give yourself a couple thousand of every kind of research point

The research thing is good at giving you direction within the mod (a fully unlocked Thaumbook is really intimidating and bewildering if you're new to the mod) but having to scrounge up research points is atrociously bad. The TC5 system definitely sounds a lot better - each research note comes with its own set value of points you can use on it and functions as an actual puzzle

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 13, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Having played it for a while it's way better, yeah. I'm a little uncertain about the remaining vestige of the scanning system (apparently unlocking Golemancy, for example, requires finding and scanning a vanilla Iron Golem), but the actual research stuff is vastly improved

It could use a little QoL work, though: it'd be nice to start with 0 of every compound aspect in the research table, instead of blanks in those slots, so you could shift-click stuff up (with the proper research)

I'm also looking forward to what is apparently pipe-free AND golem-free essentia distillation??? That sounds fuckin' rad

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also not having to run around looking for loving aura nodes to fill your wand owns owns owns, it does wonders for my sanity not having to fast-track a CV system

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Keep us informed Ciaphas, pictures of your setups and the trouble you get into would be appreciated too!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ciaphas posted:

Also not having to run around looking for loving aura nodes to fill your wand owns owns owns, it does wonders for my sanity not having to fast-track a CV system
Now I'm tempted to try it. Are you using a specific modpack or just a barebones TC5 setup?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

Now I'm tempted to try it. Are you using a specific modpack or just a barebones TC5 setup?

I homerolled TC5, JEI, JEIAddons, Iron Chests, WAILA, InventoryTweaks, VeinMiner. If there's anything else I can't think of it offhand (I'm at work so I can't check my folder)

No crashes so far, from WAILA or otherwise, about three hours of gameplay yesterday

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 14, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

(apparently unlocking Golemancy, for example, requires finding and scanning a vanilla Iron Golem),

can you not just like, make your own iron golem with iron blocks and a pumpkin and have it count

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

can you not just like, make your own iron golem with iron blocks and a pumpkin and have it count

Probably, I'm just skeevy because how would I have known to do that (and whatever other stuff is locked by said) without DW20's spotlight? (Answer: I likely wouldn't have until someone else found out and I asked :v:)

This is of course stuff that a wiki will someday solve

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So hey, I'm having a bitch and a half of a time getting OPIS to work on my server. Apparently MobiusCore just doesn't wanna work with all the mods I have. I already have Clearlag, but it only helps to show what chunks are lagging the server, which isn't helpful when the chunk happens to contain a giant tower of stuff that could be the problem. Is there anything else out there that has the sort of organisation of OPIS, where it shows me exactly which blocks are causing lag, as well as info on entities and other interesting things? I don't need a map or anything fancy, I just want it to work for 1.7.10, and for all the modded crap I have.

EDIT: Also, what's the recommended map renderer for when I wanna show people what my overworld currently looks like?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Post logs and remove ClearLag. Nothing else does what opis does.

Dynmap is the best server map mod, but you need cauldron to run it.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, quick question. How do I put fluids on a TE filter/servo/retriever list?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

Hey, quick question. How do I put fluids on a TE filter/servo/retriever list?

use a bucket of it or some other liquid container on the slots.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Taffer posted:

Post logs and remove ClearLag. Nothing else does what opis does.

Why would we want to remove Clearlag? It's obviously not essential, but it does seem to help us out in some situations. We don't really have logs of anything specific that I know how to pull, just things like random slow-downs, periodic block and chat lag, and the like. We auto-restart the server twice a day, and for the most part, we're pretty much completely lag free, it's just these weird random spikes we get a couple times a day, that we'd like to pin down.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

Why would we want to remove Clearlag? It's obviously not essential, but it does seem to help us out in some situations. We don't really have logs of anything specific that I know how to pull, just things like random slow-downs, periodic block and chat lag, and the like. We auto-restart the server twice a day, and for the most part, we're pretty much completely lag free, it's just these weird random spikes we get a couple times a day, that we'd like to pin down.

Because

neogeo0823 posted:

it only helps to show what chunks are lagging the server, which isn't helpful when the chunk happens to contain a giant tower of stuff that could be the problem.

Are you using KCauldron? Depending on the version, MobiusCore is known to have problems running under it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Because it does nothing that opis doesn't do, and does it way less helpfully, and could very well be the conflict that's keeping opis from working. Again, post logs.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

So hey, I'm having a bitch and a half of a time getting OPIS to work on my server. Apparently MobiusCore just doesn't wanna work with all the mods I have. I already have Clearlag, but it only helps to show what chunks are lagging the server, which isn't helpful when the chunk happens to contain a giant tower of stuff that could be the problem. Is there anything else out there that has the sort of organisation of OPIS, where it shows me exactly which blocks are causing lag, as well as info on entities and other interesting things? I don't need a map or anything fancy, I just want it to work for 1.7.10, and for all the modded crap I have.

EDIT: Also, what's the recommended map renderer for when I wanna show people what my overworld currently looks like?

Clearlag is the players worst nightmare,

Clearlag removes the following every time it runs

AE2 Seeds in the pools
Mekanism Robots
Possibly Turtles
Mobs in your carefully collected mob farm (Cows pigs chickens etc)

and I am sure it breaks other stuff as well.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

TheresaJayne posted:

Clearlag is the players worst nightmare,

Clearlag removes the following every time it runs

AE2 Seeds in the pools
Mekanism Robots
Possibly Turtles
Mobs in your carefully collected mob farm (Cows pigs chickens etc)

and I am sure it breaks other stuff as well.

And minecarts and locomotives and what have you, but our great admins edited the config file so we stuff like that don't disappear. :D

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

There's Sampler (linked in the FastCraft section under "Extra tweaks/tips, Sampler 1.58") which works best when both the client and server have the mod. Similar to Opis, but not as good.

Did you use the MobiusCore-1.2.5-KC3.jar that StealthArcher posted in your Disasterpiece Theater thread? I've used an older Opis/MobiusCore on the Modderation: Permabanned/FYAD servers and while I eventually time out when using Opis, I can get some data out of it. It works best when you have a less latent and faster connection (e.g. LAN instead of WAN) to the server.

For server maps, I believe almost everyone uses Dynmap for Forge. I have it directly host the servers from the Minecraft server itself, but you can also use nginx/apache/whatever to host the files elsewhere as long as you can sync the web data.

EDIT: Also CoFH has commands that can help track down issues, such as cofh tps to see what dimensions (say if you're using Mystcraft or RFTools) are using up the most ticks.

I have some notes I posted for Modderation (and NST before that) which can help your server and your players, if you want. The Java flags seem to help my clients and servers, but I never did gather any formal metrics to prove it. ;) Don't give your Java instance (server or client) too much memory as then Java's Garbage Collection (GC) just has more work to do, more often, which causes latency spikes. More memory on your server itself is good for file caching. Having drives with fast write IOP/s is good, especially when generating chunks; Minecraft loves to write data. Often.

lolmer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 14, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Has anyone ever heard of any way to do interdimensional rail lines? I think a cart ride that pops you between multiple dimensions would be kickin rad

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Magres posted:

Has anyone ever heard of any way to do interdimensional rail lines? I think a cart ride that pops you between multiple dimensions would be kickin rad
You can use Mystcraft portals for that.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Magres posted:

I've never used them myself but Ender IO has an Ender Rail that does this, I think.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

well finding a silverwood tree is still as much of an irritating pain in the rear end in TC5 as it is in TC4

/gamemode c

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

but the result of air-transferred essentia loving rules

https://gfycat.com/CharmingRectangularCusimanse

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

man this thread is freaking me out, it says there's a reply at 2233 but every time i click theres nothing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah there's some weird outstanding forum bug where posts can disappear into the ether until someone else posts, as you have now discovered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

thank mr postal