Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Forum Joe posted:

I disagree. Young footy players are taught not to question club management. To disclose to the ASADA against the direct instructions of club management would cause a player to get 'rested' a bit. Plus it's too much to expect young players to step out on a limb and go against club culture when no one else is. That is, until a precedent has been set. I think that this case has set a precedent that will ensure in the future young players do take more responsibility for following "club culture".

That might be a good excuse for young players. What about the senior players going along with it all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
If Fev signs up for the Bombers I am buying a membership. You can toxx that.

EDIT:

Did some reading, apparently Crowley is not on Dodoro's shortlist of 50. But guess who is!

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 13, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If your club tells you not to reveal their supplements program to the Australian Sports Anti Doping Authority that should be a pretty big red flag.

Hey mate, mind carrying this package with you to Bali for me? Postage fees are a killer. If customs ask don't tell them about it.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Solemn Sloth posted:

If your club tells you not to reveal their supplements program to the Australian Sports Anti Doping Authority that should be a pretty big red flag.

Hey mate, mind carrying this package with you to Bali for me? Postage fees are a killer. If customs ask don't tell them about it.

Pretty much.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
RIP Pav

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-01-13/pavlich-to-relinquish-captaincy

bigis fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 13, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

quote:

"This club [Essendon], unlike the Crows, cooperated fully – they actually self-reported – they came to us," he said.
"From the chairman through to the coaching staff, through to the staff, through to every player, every individual at that club cooperated fully and openly with ASADA and the AFL and the investigation.
"That carries weight in sanctioning.
"I've got to tell you, when we dealt with Adelaide that didn't happen."

Andrew Demetriou. August 2013

Steaming poo poo on the face of football, Andrew Demetriou, explaining why the Crows breaking the third party payments rules was much worse than Essendon running a systematic doping program.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Solemn Sloth posted:

That is the one question I really want to know about - how the club convinced the players not to say anything. I absolutely cannot believe it was all some big conspiracy and that they all knew about it. I believe the players believed what was being done was ok. But how did they get 34 people to not say a word. Some loving voodoo poo poo there. It's baffling because, from the players point of view it seems, they were taking Thymosin, which they were told was legal (which would explain why when Crameri and his Mum looked at it they found the same thing). Of course they didn't know it was something else which hadn't even been used on humans before, so they thought it was legal. So ... I just don't get how the club sold it to them that even though it's legal, just, you know, don't tell anyone about it. Some serious Stockholm syndrome stuff must have been going on.

And the more and more I think about it, just, how the gently caress is Dank not in a prison cell? "Let's test it on some players", just ... gently caress that gently caress off.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

thepokey posted:

That is the one question I really want to know about - how the club convinced the players not to say anything. I absolutely cannot believe it was all some big conspiracy and that they all knew about it. I believe the players believed what was being done was ok. But how did they get 34 people to not say a word. Some loving voodoo poo poo there. It's baffling because, from the players point of view it seems, they were taking Thymosin, which they were told was legal (which would explain why when Crameri and his Mum looked at it they found the same thing). Of course they didn't know it was something else which hadn't even been used on humans before, so they thought it was legal. So ... I just don't get how the club sold it to them that even though it's legal, just, you know, don't tell anyone about it. Some serious Stockholm syndrome stuff must have been going on.

And the more and more I think about it, just, how the gently caress is Dank not in a prison cell? "Let's test it on some players", just ... gently caress that gently caress off.

More like 44 players considering they would all have known about it.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
DONS AND DON’TS
Restrictions and approved behaviour for the banned Essendon 34 in season 2016
CAN
Attend AFL and other football games
Talk to players and coaches from their teams on a social level
Train away from their clubs with other banned players
Work in the media at AFL games
CAN’T
Play football at any organised level
Enter club rooms at grounds on match day
Enter their club’s premises
Train under club-devised programs

Under strict World Anti-Doping Agency rules any violation would effectively take their 2016 season ban back to day one.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/es...fcfb731270007c5

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Well the Essendon Basketball Team looks like they're gonna have a good season.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

realbez posted:

CAN’T
Play football at any organised level

That's ok then, they can still play for us this year so long as they play like we did against St Kilda

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

realbez posted:

Talk to players and coaches from their teams on a social level

Train under club-devised programs

There is no way the a club devised training program doesn't filter it's way through to the players via social channels.

"Woosha has us doing X, Y & Z. Imagine what kinda nick you'd come back in if you were doing the same down the park with the boys"
*winks furiously*

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Got around to watching the special episode of 360 finally. Gerard Whateley, who is usually pretty down to earth, seemed to reckon the Bombers would be amazingly lucky to escape with as low as $17M in player settlements($500k per player), and should be expecting far far higher.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Got around to watching the special episode of 360 finally. Gerard Whateley, who is usually pretty down to earth, seemed to reckon the Bombers would be amazingly lucky to escape with as low as $17M in player settlements($500k per player), and should be expecting far far higher.

Yeah, if their insurance isn't good then the payouts could gently caress the club really hard. Until the AFL fronts them the money anyway.

Here's an article on possible top up players: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-14/which-topup-players-could-the-bombers-turn-to

quote:

big-bodied midfielders
Jonathan Simpkin (28)
AFL games: 37. Goals: 16
He is an ideal fit - big-bodied, experienced, durable and from quality clubs in Hawthorn and Geelong. He has expressed a willingness to entertain an offer from Essendon.

Mat Arnott (22)
Games: 9. Goals: 1
On the fringes at Richmond in the past two seasons and only managed to string together solid performances at VFL level late in the season.

Jaryd Cachia (24)
Games: 14. Goals: 1
Captain of Richmond's VFL team in 2015 and is a rock solid performer. Moved to South Australia to play with Norwood.

Jacob Ballard (21)
Games: 1. Goals: 0
Unlucky not to be rookie-listed, he is an inside midfielder who showed his talent with Peel Thunder.

Nick O'Brien (22)
Games: 14. Goals: 4
Finished fifth in the Bombers' VFL best and fairest after playing nine senior games late in season. Knows the club, can win the ball and just needs to improve his disposal.

James Polkinghorne (26)
Games: 94. Goals: 53
Essendon's VFL best and fairest in 2015 has to come into calculations. A hard nut in the midfield, he played all but one game last season and averaged 20 disposals. He knows the club and system.

Nick Rippon (21)
The ball magnet won the J.J.Liston Trophy but AFL clubs overlooked the 176cm midfielder. He needs to improve his ability when not in possession.

Jordie McKenzie (25)
Games: 79. Goals: 10
Three-time best clubman at the Demons shows his character. He is a tough ball winner who struggled with his disposal. Has moved to South Australia to play.

Daniel Cross (32)
Games: 249. Goals: 34
Cross played every game in 2015 but the Demons needed to find a spot for younger players. Has a job at the Demons but the football fanatic might not be able to resist the chance.

Running midfielders

Sam Dwyer (29)
Games: 39. Goals: 22
Respected former Magpie who was one of their best at VFL level but struggled to break into seniors. He is reliable and solid without being spectacular.

James Kelly (32)
Games: 273. Goals: 88
Has not played fewer than 17 games in a season since 2006. Had an inconsistent final year, either playing well or completely battling but he is an exceptional leader.

Sam Dunell (25)
Games: 12. Goals 1
Made the VFL team of the year and is son of former Essendon player Frank Dunell. Played well against Essendon VFL in 2015 and could be at home on a wing.

Tall/medium defenders
Tom Simpkin (25)
Games: 31. Goals: 2
Defender could grab a second chance and do the work required to maximise his potential as a key defender.

Clinton Young (29)
Games: 137. Goals: 69
Cards seemed marked at Collingwood after making a few crucial mistakes and battling injury. The long-kicking wingman would have a point to prove.

Matt Watson (23)
Games: 23 Goals: 10
If ever there was an unrealised talent it is Matt Watson. Despite a booming left-foot kick, his confidence deserted him at Carlton. Faith might be all he needs.

Mitch Golby (24)
Games: 56. Goals: 6
The running defender finished the season brilliantly in the NEAFL but was out of favour by then. He has plenty to offer a new club and was unlucky to not find a spot on a list for 2016, with Essendon understood to have met with him during the exchange period.

Scott McMahon (28)
Games: 124. Goals: 28
Somewhat underrated, the veteran defender has coaching aspirations. He works hard at his game and was a permanent fixture until 2013 with the Kangaroos.

Paul Duffield (30)
Games: 171. Goals: 33
Comes from a good system and had played no fewer than 20 games a season between 2009 and 2014 before playing 14 this year.

Medium/small forward
Mathew Stokes (31)
Games: 189. Goals: 203
Dual premiership player at Geelong who struggled for consistency after an ankle injury in 2014 but was brilliant before then. Definitely capable at AFL level and can kick goals.

Arryn Siposs (23)
Games: 28. Goals: 22
Has class but would need to prove he can do the work required to revive his career.

Kieran Harper (23)
Games: 40. Goals: 37
Another player who looked as though he could be anything early in his career but then dropped off.

Justin Van Unen (25)
Mornington Peninsula goalkicker was close to being with Richmond after his TAC Cup career with Oakleigh Chargers. A freak in front of goal in recent seasons, he might be the mid-sized goalkicker the Bombers need.

Rohan Bail (27)
Games: 71. Goals: 28
A coaches' dream, he will give everything for the team. An exceptional runner who still has the desire to play AFL football.

Ahmed Saad (26)
Games: 33. Goals: 48
Hungry, quick and can kick goals. Served his time for anti-doping violation and can have an impact.

Hisham Kerbatieh (18)
A left-field option but unlucky to miss a spot on an AFL list. He is explosive and can kick goals.

Tall forwards
Ayce Cordy (25)
Games: 27. Goals: 15
Was given a chance last season but could not make an impression at AFL level.

Jordan Lisle (25)
Games: 23. Goals 16
Tall forward but didn't show enough at AFL level despite many opportunities.

Ruckmen

Mark Jamar (32)
Games: 155. Goals: 56
Did little wrong with the Demons under Paul Roos but they needed to blood Max Gawn. He is a big body who knows how to throw his weight around.

Darcy Cameron (20)
Big ruckman in the WAFL who was overlooked in the NAB AFL Drafts despite being a mobile prospect with good hands who has shown he can play forward.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

They just described James Kelly as a running mid lol

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

A good move, looks like Mundy or Cow Dude will get the job when the team votes.

I'd forgotten about Duffield (so did Lyon), he'd be a good pickup.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hiddenmovement posted:

They just described James Kelly as a running mid lol

Yeah, I'd imagine him for the backline, but sure as heck not a running mid

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jamar would be a really really good pickup for them if he's stayed in shape.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
apparently zaharakis was the only essendon player to opt out of the supplements program in 2012... because he doesnt like needles.

dodged a bullet there

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If the Dons pick up Tom Simpkin then I'll be annoyed because I was really hoping to see him kill people at Sandy this year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

apparently zaharakis was the only essendon player to opt out of the supplements program in 2012... because he doesnt like needles.

dodged a bullet there

Yeah I don't buy that excuse at all. I think that's what he came up with after the fact to avoid saying "I thought it was dodgy af" and thus implicating his teammates

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah I don't buy that excuse at all. I think that's what he came up with after the fact to avoid saying "I thought it was dodgy af" and thus implicating his teammates

My sister in law gets so anxious about needles she passes out, he could have totally opted out because of a fear of needles.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

dodged a bullet there

How is he not guilty of facilitating the program though? If the crux of the decision is that it was the intent to take peds and the coverup that followed then how is Zaharakis exempt if he knew details of the program and didnt tell?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Robodog posted:

My sister in law gets so anxious about needles she passes out, he could have totally opted out because of a fear of needles.

Wouldn't have made it this far if he was that averse to being jabbed.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

How is he not guilty of facilitating the program though? If the crux of the decision is that it was the intent to take peds and the coverup that followed then how is Zaharakis exempt if he knew details of the program and didnt tell?

It's about the individual, not the group. If you get an injection and fail to declare it, you are liable. Zaharakis had nothing to declare because he refused the injections. He's cool.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Wouldn't have made it this far if he was that averse to being jabbed.

To be fair, I have a huge aversion to needles to, to the point I've just neglected to get blood tests done which I probably should have. It's irrational but I can believe it would be enough to absolutely put your foot down and refuse to be part of it. Especially if you know it's going to be an ongoing thing as opposed to a once off.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

snaeksikn posted:

dodged a bullet there

Would've he been going through cancer treatment during that time?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

To be fair, I have a huge aversion to needles to, to the point I've just neglected to get blood tests done which I probably should have. It's irrational but I can believe it would be enough to absolutely put your foot down and refuse to be part of it. Especially if you know it's going to be an ongoing thing as opposed to a once off.

I get that. I have the same. My sister used to have the same, then she had a complicated pregnancy which necessitated lots and lots of needles and cannulae.

I just don't cop that a pro footballer today can make it that far while maintaining that level of aversion to needles unless they're a freak like Ablett who is so skilled that you put up with any demands he makes.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

Would've he been going through cancer treatment during that time?

I don't think Zaharakis had cancer?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Yeah, my sympathy for the players has lessened a little after knowing they lied to teh authorities.

True they are dumb arse footballers, (young ones at that), that are used to being told what to do by their club. But when the club says "Hey, don't tell anyone about what we are injecting you with, not even on the forms that you legally have to." it is a giant red flag. Add to that how insanely cartoonishly evil that Dank has turned out to be, ("let's just test some players" ... how in the name of gently caress is this man allowed near medicine?).

The punishment is harsh for the players, but it kinda has to be. Nobody wants a repeat of this saga, or of any parts of it, ever again. I can't see any club or any player repeating the mistakes that have been made.

The club has been punished, both officially and unofficially by having it's name dragged through the mud for the last 3 years. The players have been punished, (harshly perhaps, but they are somewhat liable).

But there is, and should be light at the end of the tunnel, clubs have bounced back from worse, and a lot of the people responsible are no longer there. So soon enough we will all be able to get back to hating Essendon for the right reasons.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

One thing which struck me watching 360, is Robinson and even McLachlan talking about how the culture of footy clubs is that players are expected not to question authority, but there was no suggestion that hey, maybe that's something we need to look at changing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

I don't think Zaharakis had cancer?

Ah poo poo, got him confused with Adam Ramanauskas

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

One thing which struck me watching 360, is Robinson and even McLachlan talking about how the culture of footy clubs is that players are expected not to question authority, but there was no suggestion that hey, maybe that's something we need to look at changing.

The main thing that struck me from that interview is just how bad Robbo is at asking questions in interviews. He's so bad I have no idea why they let him do it. I love watching Gerrard as Robbo attempts to ask a question.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Periphery posted:

The main thing that struck me from that interview is just how bad Robbo is at asking questions in interviews. He's so bad I have no idea why they let him do it. I love watching Gerrard as Robbo attempts to ask a question.

It's like he gets a few words into a question and then just sort of drops his head and slurs his words and mumbles a bit and then goes "ugh god I dunno" and then tries to salvage the question. I agree with a lot of his sentiments, but his application of being able to put his point forward and to ask questions is just far below what the standard of a journalist should be. Then again, Herald Sun made him their chief footy journalist so go figure.

And I guess with Zaka, I feel i have little choice but to believe him because I just know if I were told of a proposed outline of needing X number of needles this yearn I would absolutely refuse. Unless getting a needle is in some way unavoidable I'd go to extreme lengths to avoid it. I remember ripping up vaccination consent forms from school so my parents never saw them and then telling the school that my parents never signed it as they were having me immunised privately so that neither party knew. I assume he got this far because he had the needles which were absolutely necessary but I think they all knew this wasn't life or death having them so anyone with that level of fear would absolutely not do it. But yeah, he dodged a massive bullet.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Guess I picked a good few days to be out of internet range. Oh well. I'm torn between buying a membership to help out the club or just forget about footy for 12 months (apart from when a bunch of kids and VFL top-ups overruns Carlton).

Hopefully all our listed players decide to come back to the Bombers in 2017.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BrigadierSensible posted:

But when the club says "Hey, don't tell anyone about what we are injecting you with, not even on the forms that you legally have to."

They probably said something closer to "Nah you don't have to declare those, they're fine."

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

They probably said something closer to "Nah you don't have to declare those, they're fine."

If only ASADA ran annual compulsory seminars where they detail their processes, like what is to be put on these forms.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

thepokey posted:

Yeah I basically have a panic attack when confronted with needles. I don't think it's outrageous that a guy who's freaked out by needles would shy away from a series of injections.

thepokey posted:

It's like he gets a few words into a question and then just sort of drops his head and slurs his words and mumbles a bit and then goes "ugh god I dunno" and then tries to salvage the question. I agree with a lot of his sentiments, but his application of being able to put his point forward and to ask questions is just far below what the standard of a journalist should be. Then again, Herald Sun made him their chief footy journalist so go figure.
Robbo's best quality as a journo is that he's a good bloke who's relatable (seriously). It means he develops good relationships with his sources and gets decent mail, and his feature articles are actually pretty good. The stuff he wrote on Phil Walsh before he died was really good. He's also passionate and remains relatively non-jaded by the industry. The guy just loving loves footy.

You Am I posted:

Ah poo poo, got him confused with Adam Ramanauskas
Come on mate. Lift please.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

It's about the individual, not the group. If you get an injection and fail to declare it, you are liable. Zaharakis had nothing to declare because he refused the injections. He's cool.

This really goes to show that the WADA code is woefully inadequate to policing team based issues. The ones actually running it will basically get off.

glasnost toyboy posted:

If only ASADA ran annual compulsory seminars where they detail their processes, like what is to be put on these forms.

Im begining to think that the information provided and presented might be woefully inadequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nutsngum posted:

Im begining to think that the information provided and presented might be woefully inadequate.

Other athletes don't seem to have any trouble with it. Footballers get more support for this, and other things, via their union than most other Australian athletes could ever dream of receiving.

• Locked thread