Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

slidebite posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is Geforce Experience a thing to have? I always just install the basic drivers and really nothing else. Am I missing anything?

If you don't use Experience features, you're not missing anything. I do the same, get the driver pack and just load the required driver along with audio or PhysX. I don't stream games, I don't give a drat about fancy screenshots or any of that, I only want what makes my card function and allows me to tweak eye candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
News we already knew was coming, but JEDEC has officially certified HBM2:

http://techreport.com/news/29591/jedec-updates-hbm-standard-with-bigger-stacks-and-faster-speeds

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What games/benchmarks should I get to test out my new GTX 970 and its OC potential? :D

I already have GTA V, Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you jack up all the settings the tomb raider reboot will crash poo poo that little else will, it's my final stability test usually.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dogen posted:

If you jack up all the settings the tomb raider reboot will crash poo poo that little else will, it's my final stability test usually.

Huh, really? I'm surprised it'd be one of the most finicky with overclocks. Wonder if the sequel will push things even harder.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Dogen posted:

From what I've heard, that game is crash prone full stop, regardless of OCing...?

edit: when you say the Benchmarks, which ones? Is it still 3DMark 11 and Unigine?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 13, 2016

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

PirateBob posted:

What games/benchmarks should I get to test out my new GTX 970 and its OC potential? :D

Shadows of Mordor with Ultra Settings, the METRO Games and the Benchmarks should be able to penetrate your new toy :-)

edit: Just Cause 3 will stress your 970 as well.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 13, 2016

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

PirateBob posted:

From what I've heard, that game is crash prone full stop, regardless of OCing...?

I've been able to run it for hours without issue with the right clocks, it's usually just one bin (13mhz or whatever it is) below what's stable on everything else core. I'm less granular with memory clock since it doesn't do as much. 980ti and 780 have behaved similarly for me.

Slightly too high and it crashes in 10-20 minutes usually.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Heaven readily crashed on edge overclocks for me right when you see some shiny glass looking vial thing on the ship. Also artifacts seem far more obvious in Heaven to me. However, nothing beats regular game testing imo, but Heaven 4.0 + 3d mark will get you close enough.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
The 900 series seems to have been around forever now. Has anyone heard when we are likely to see new models?

edit: referring to nvidia cards.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Mat posted:

The 900 series seems to have been around forever now. Has anyone heard when we are likely to see new models?

Well, judging by the demo, Pascal's been around a good long while, just get a laptop :smuggo:.

Kind of thinking AMD might be first out of the door if NV's pulling shenanigans.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
AMD is next up, right? The 390 was a mild re-warming of the 290, a GPU that came out in 2013.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

AMD is next up, right? The 390 was a mild re-warming of the 290, a GPU that came out in 2013.

Hey they released most of a new chip last year!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PirateBob posted:

Just use heaven. Watch it closely to look for visual artifacts.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

My Asus 970 will be here tomorrow. Decided to go with it because of the price. Can't wait to see how it compares to my 660ti.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Whale Cancer posted:

My Asus 970 will be here tomorrow. Decided to go with it because of the price. Can't wait to see how it compares to my 660ti.

My 970 was faster than my 680. 970 >> 660ti.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Just use heaven. Watch it closely to look for visual artifacts.

I tried Unigine Heaven. One artifact seemed to be there all the time: a tile/brick going transparent near the dragon statue towards the end of the bench. :confused:

Overclocked from stock speeds of 1076/1752 mhz to 1300/1900 and got a hard freeze at the "shiny glass looking vial thing on the ship" that THE DOG HOUSE mentioned.

Took it down to 1280/1850 mhz and got 59 fps avg, 25 minimum on 1080p/ultra settings/extreme tesselation/8x AA. (i5 2500K). Pretty decent? :shobon:

I think I'll 'set it and forget it' at a permanent 1200/1840 mhz though, to avoid shortening the lifespan of the card and to avoid having to turn clock profiles on and off. 11% oc on the core, 5% oc on the mem - is that reasonable? Should I increase the power target for that modest OC?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 14, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the info on Geforce experience, I'll not bother installing it since screen shots and vids do nothing for me.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What the gently caress ever happened to Fury VR?

Maybe they're just waiting for HBM2 so we can have 2x8 GB cards?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

What the gently caress ever happened to Fury VR?

Maybe they're just waiting for HBM2 so we can have 2x8 GB cards?

It was officially delayed to "better align with VR headset launches"

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9874/amd-dual-fiji-gemini-video-card-delayed-to-2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

It was officially delayed to "better align with VR headset launches"

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9874/amd-dual-fiji-gemini-video-card-delayed-to-2016

"Asetek is all over our poo poo and there's no way this is going to work without a liquid cooler or a die shrink."

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Whale Cancer posted:

I did the exact same upgrade last week. I doubled my FPS/performance according to Dirt 3 and FF14 benchmark tests.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SlayVus posted:

My 970 was faster than my 680. 970 >> 660ti.

The 970 is about the same speed as a 780 Ti, so yeah, faster than a 680 let alone a 660 Ti.

Man, it's such a shame that NVIDIA is absolutely skinflint with the VRAM, because a 680 would still be a fantastic card right now if it had 3 GB VRAM. Same for the 780 Ti and 4 GB VRAM. Well, off to buy another NVIDIA card!

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 14, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

"Asetek is all over our poo poo and there's no way this is going to work without a liquid cooler or a die shrink."

You know what *wouldn't* be a bad idea? Getting EK on the horn and asking them if they'd put together a Predator-type kit for the Gemini board as OEM. Maybe even throw in a QDC so it can be integrated into an existing 360.

I imagine most people who would get a dual-Fiji board would probably slap a water block on there anyways. This would just take one step further in that direction.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You know what *wouldn't* be a bad idea? Getting EK on the horn and asking them if they'd put together a Predator-type kit for the Gemini board as OEM.

Maybe wait until EK is done with the complete recall of all Predator kits.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 970 is about the same speed as a 780 Ti, so yeah, faster than a 680 let alone a 660 Ti.

Man, it's such a shame that NVIDIA is absolutely skinflint with the VRAM, because a 680 would still be a fantastic card right now if it had 3 GB VRAM. Same for the 780 Ti and 4 GB VRAM. Well, off to buy another NVIDIA card!

My 680 was only a 2gb model, so no matter how you look at it. It was a compete upgrade.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You know what *wouldn't* be a bad idea? Getting EK on the horn and asking them if they'd put together a Predator-type kit for the Gemini board as OEM. Maybe even throw in a QDC so it can be integrated into an existing 360.

I imagine most people who would get a dual-Fiji board would probably slap a water block on there anyways. This would just take one step further in that direction.

Yes, what AMD needs is even more production costs since they can charge whatever they want and people will buy them over nvidia.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe wait until EK is done with the complete recall of all Predator kits.

Hrm. Did not hear about that. Good to know.

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, what AMD needs is even more production costs since they can charge whatever they want and people will buy them over nvidia.

I'd spin it as, "AMD cares about the enthusiast. If you get one of these, you were probably already going to slap a waterblock on it, here, use the OEM-certified one. So what has Nvidia done for the enthusiast lately?"

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Slim Mat posted:

Q2 or Q3

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dunno about a waterblock but you're absolutely going to need a liquid cooler of some kind. The 295x2 was a fantastic card, for what it was. It's way, way more efficient than a pair of 290X's (>100W) and it was way cheaper than going custom-loop.

Don Lapre posted:

I disagree. Those are sunk costs for a 600W-class card. The extra disconnect connector costs you approximately nothing in bulk. Jumping to a 240mm or a 680mm is probably another $5 or $10 manufacturing cost in bulk.

That's actually a fantastic idea and I would love to see that.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 14, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

I disagree. Those are sunk costs for a 600W-class card. The extra disconnect connector costs you approximately nothing in bulk. Jumping to a 240mm or a 680mm is probably another $5 or $10 manufacturing cost in bulk.

That's actually a fantastic idea and I would love to see that.

I have to imagine a super mass produced asetek design is way way cheaper than the pump and res on a rad by a much smaller ek.

They obviously chose CM cause they undercut Asetek on price. I cant imagine they want to pay more than both of those for EK

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don Lapre posted:

I have to imagine a super mass produced asetek design is way way cheaper than the pump and res on a rad by a much smaller ek.

They obviously chose CM cause they undercut Asetek on price. I cant imagine they want to pay more than both of those for EK

You need the pump either way, I doubt it matters whether you integrate the pump with the block or on the reservoir - please make a specific claim as to why that would matter. Especially against the actual manufacturing cost of a "much larger" radiator, which is the most critical and difficult-to-manufacture thing in a cooling loop.

Asetek was probably pumping the price because they were sure they'd win (which they did, on an overbroad and obvious patent, because our patent system sucks).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 14, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Whale Cancer posted:

I went from a 670 to a 970 and was blown away by the performance. In your case, probably like going from a Honda Civic to a Lamborghini.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

PirateBob posted:

I think I'll 'set it and forget it' at a permanent 1200/1840 mhz though, to avoid shortening the lifespan of the card and to avoid having to turn clock profiles on and off. 11% oc on the core, 5% oc on the mem - is that reasonable? Should I increase the power target for that modest OC?

Always raise the power target, without modding or a ridiculous OCer card it's usually locked to 110% which is pretty tame but can be limiting.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Verizian posted:

i5 2500k's can regularly hit 5Ghz with water cooling. I had mine on 4.5Ghz with an EVO 212 and I could have gone higher but I needed to repaste the TIM and I just bought a new 6700k rig.
Just to be clear, when you guys are citing OC numbers, you're allowing that to be the highest multiplier when at 100% load on Prime95 or something, but most of the time the CPU is still running at like 1.8GHz or something, right?

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
drat, Q2/Q3 is so far away. It means that mid range cards are more towards the end of the year and I'm hoping to get something with more vram; 2GB just isn't enough anymore.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Just to be clear, when you guys are citing OC numbers, you're allowing that to be the highest multiplier when at 100% load on Prime95 or something, but most of the time the CPU is still running at like 1.8GHz or something, right?

Depends - some folks keep the features enabled that automatically clock the CPU down when it's not being used heavily. Others disable the power save states to keep things humming 24/7 at overclock speeds. My i5 4670K rig is 24/7 at 4.3, but I left the sleep stuff enabled on my dad's since he likes to game and does some everyday work on his PC (i5 2500K @ 4.4). People usually cite the shorter lifespan of a 24/7 overclocked CPU but usually by the time it's ready to die, you've already built (or at least planned out) a new system anyhow.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes, surely Nvidia could have engineered 3 GB ram on 256-bit bus or 4 GB ram on 384-bit bus. Last time that was engineered we got GTX 970 and its 3.5 GB. Granted if someone can pull off mismatched memory buses and memory sizes, Nvidia can (worked well with GTX 660/660Ti) but there would be gnashing of teeth and pickaxe sharpening if they were to do it in enthusiast cards.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah. My 2500K idles at 1.6GHz. You can disable those features, but it seems pointless to do so, as any even slightly heavy load pegs it at the full turbo.

I'd imagine most people leave speedstep on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
When playing Assassin's Creed Syndicate my PC suddenly restarted (or tried to, it reached BIOS then reset again). That's not a GPU issue, right? Or could it be a lack of power to the GPU? I was running a moderate OC with only +105% power.

edit: What's the best OC util for a 970? I'm using Zotac Firestorm because I got a Zotac, but I should be able to use any other, right?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 14, 2016