Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Bitter Beard posted:

This game just keeps giving on all entertainment avenues, this is the most fun I've had playing a Christ Robert's game since Privateer.

Yeah maybe ARG is his true calling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Alan rickman has died :rip: what the gently caress is going on?!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fuctifino posted:

For those with new Platinum accounts, please be aware that your account has to be at least 6 months old before you can see Platinum redacted messages. You can request being whitelisted by writing a thread in GBS and explaining why you feel the block should be lifted.

Holy gently caress

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The world is getting less and less colorful every day.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Holy gently caress

This is a thread where many people have spent hundreds of dollars on spaceship jpegs. Throwing down :10bux: for plat is nothing, and gullibility is a pre-existing condition.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Alright, trying to find the actor's access page of her, I want to show my brother why something like Sandi acting with A-List actors, and comparing it to Joe Kucan directing and acting as Kane with actors in the Command and Conquer days is incomparable.

Joe Kucan was already working as a producer with Westwood when C&C1 was made. He was tapped for the role of Kane as a guy with acting experience who could look menacing in front of a camera. The FMVs, of course, became one of the best and most fun parts of the C&C series and he went on to build an entire film studio inside Westwood's offices in Las Vegas but he still worked as a producer when the cameras were off.

Plus of course the C&C games were actually released, were greatly popular, and made vast amounts of money.

He runs a theatrical company now. He came out of retirement for the later C&Cs.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

:( 2016 isn't getting off to a good start. I want to throw it away and start over.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

fuzzknot posted:

:( 2016 isn't getting off to a good start. I want to throw it away and start over.

No kidding. Lemmy, Bowie and Alan Rickman in a few weeks.

Cancer, take a break, ok?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ramadu posted:

we already make our space helmets to come with coatings and poo poo that make them golden and not transparent like that. In a shocker, NASA isn't retarded about that kind of stuff.

I wasn't really talking about the coating. In the Halo game, the EVA helmet has a reputation of being a sniper magnet because of the gold coating. One of the things I was trying to point out is that, it's the future, you can make a visor that's going to be as transparent as glass but durable as the rest of the helmet.

Unfunny Poster posted:

The comedy is, aren't some of the Citizens professing the FPS poo poo in SC is going to kill COD?

I wanted to get with that earlier when we were talking about Star Marine. CRob is adamant about that holo-emitter being a real gamechanger, since he brought it up in that "COD killer" article as well as in the last Star Marine demo. The thing is that we've had stuff like that in games like Duke Nukem 3D before and you can see stuff similar in theory to it in games like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2 when players make decoy sprays of Spies and Snipers. poo poo, it looks like Halo 3 has had hologram drops. It's not that big of a deal

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's the same reason the track jackets had a declared value of $15.

Apparently that is "normal" for any goods shipped from china, at least that's what someone I know that runs a store selling all sorts of electronics tells me. You simply can't stop them from doing it.

Of course you could get more legit partners to manufacture your goods...

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

I wanted to get with that earlier when we were talking about Star Marine. CRob is adamant about that holo-emitter being a real gamechanger, since he brought it up in that "COD killer" article as well as in the last Star Marine demo. The thing is that we've had stuff like that in games like Duke Nukem 3D before and you can see stuff similar in theory to it in games like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2 when players make decoy sprays of Spies and Snipers. poo poo, it looks like Halo 3 has had hologram drops. It's not that big of a deal

I know we joke around about it, but it really does seem like it all comes down to CR not having played a game or even looked at one since his glory days. He comes up with these brilliant new features, not realizing that they have been around in games for years and years, or have been discarded as bad ideas already by the industry.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Young Freud posted:

I wasn't really talking about the coating. In the Halo game, the EVA helmet has a reputation of being a sniper magnet because of the gold coating. One of the things I was trying to point out is that, it's the future, you can make a visor that's going to be as transparent as glass but durable as the rest of the helmet.

You could make no helmet at all and have the dude's head encased in an energy shield, the main thing is to make it look cool and not completely stupid. I like cheesy stuff but even if you wanted to be completely serious about it you could make literally anything work instead of making lame and bad space marine/dead space armour for the millionth time

christ the journeyman project II jumpsuit works better as heavy space armour than whatever that abomination is supposed to be

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Young Freud posted:

I somehow doubt that a developer known for making space sims has a finger on the pulse of competitive multiplayer FPS.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Can't beat the sheriff of Nottingham....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Young Freud posted:

It all seems to point to the same thing: CRoberts has not played any games in years, or he'd already know all this. He's trying to create a game to compete with the best the genre has to offer, with no knowledge of what's been done already, and how it fared. He has ideas for "new" stuff that came out in 1996. He thinks traveling through vents is the pinnacle of innovation, a trope so old I can't even find its first use in video gaming.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
The card sold for $10 (providing you spent $1000 lol), they have to process the order, arrange shipment, pay for postage and paid support has deal with nerds complaining about their precious limited edition bit of flat metal being bent.

$1 is about what they actually cost to buy one, stop being stupid.

The image is funny because someone spent at least $1010 to get a card and a valuation of $1.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

illectro posted:

It's a hilarious combination of many minor things. Truthfully as with many things in Star Citizen, it's really only a tiny slice of very vocal haters that make the noise, most people are much more reasonable. But here's a few things I've done that made people mad

* Mentioned Derek Smart without viciously attacking him, because, I'm actually a pretty polite person in general.
* Deleted referral codes from comments.
* Deleting organization advertisements from comments.
* Not reminding people on every video that Star Citizen is an alpha
* Not reminding people on every video that you don't actually have to spend $350 on a jpeg.
* Being a goon and winning Eve online
* being a fan of games that aren't star citizen
* using the word 'extreme' to describe ridiculous fanboy hate posts, which is apparently the same as calling the poster a terrorist.

I've also been accused of:
* only showing the buggy bits of the game (the reverse is true, it's easy to make compilations of SC glitches, hard to show things working as intended)
* faking my accent
* deliberately not disabling motion blur to make the game look bad
* spending hundreds of dollars on the game so I would have an excuse to attack it.
* being bad at the game to make the game look bad
* having a computer that's too slow and making SC look bad because of this (i7-6700K + 980TI + 32gigs).

All of these come from personal messages or comments on threads.

But every time I generate a 400 post thread on reddit with tons of random vitriol I get dozens of personal messages from far more reasonable individuals apologizing for the behaviour of their peers. There's plenty of reasonable people still out there.

Personally, I have a thick skin and I don't worry about any of this.

Haha, that's pretty extreme and quite funny. You showed/talked about KSP crashing and being buggy for literal years and that was a beta and that was okay, but this holy grail can't be tarnished with this blatant unedited and untampered footage.

illectro posted:

* having a computer that's too slow and making SC look bad because of this (i7-6700K + 980TI + 32gigs).

This is good computers specs tho isn't it? I don't know enough about specs, but i know 980TI is "new".

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Iglocska posted:

Apparently that is "normal" for any goods shipped from china, at least that's what someone I know that runs a store selling all sorts of electronics tells me. You simply can't stop them from doing it.

Of course you could get more legit partners to manufacture your goods...

As an Australian who buys poo poo overseas to save money, it's very common regardless of nationality. It's extra funny that we don't even pay import tax on anything under $1000.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Young Freud posted:

It really seems to be the standard pattern that, whenever CRobber says something on the theme of “this is all new” or “this will change everything,” what he actually means is “I remember seeing this thing in a game back when I was last in the business (i.e. 15–20 years ago).”

Erenthal posted:

I know we joke around about it, but it really does seem like it all comes down to CR not having played a game or even looked at one since his glory days. He comes up with these brilliant new features, not realizing that they have been around in games for years and years, or have been discarded as bad ideas already by the industry.

There's that too, sure, and all that is sad in its own way, but there's just this other weird undercurrent where he keeps trying to “(re)discover” ideas that he was around to see during his active period and pawn them off as new and amazing. The amount of not being aware of what was happening in the industry he was in while he was still in it is just staggering, and I'm not sure whether I prefer that level of ignorance as an explanation over him just lying through his teeth.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 14, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

no

not again :smith:

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Lemmy, Bowie, Rickman .... True talent.
And yet Lesnick still waddles the earth. Proof that God doesn't exist

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
How is Dick Cheney still loving alive?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tokamak posted:

As an Australian who buys poo poo overseas to save money, it's very common regardless of nationality. It's extra funny that we don't even pay import tax on anything under $1000.

$1000? As someone who lives in Norway and who has to pay import tax for anything over ~$30 I am envious as hell.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Avalanche posted:

Punishment for our sins.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Avalanche posted:

he's a lich, hth

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WebDog posted:

Reading up about CryEngine vehicles is interesting.

It seems anything can be assigned as vehicle.
You build it in max/maya in segmented bits, import in and then assign a movement preset like tank or VTOL and then go into the in-game editor and assign the model's parts to be a wheel or light and so on.

Presumably alternate vehicle systems can be coded in. Which is where I think the majority of the problems could be stemming from, their attempt to make a flight engine that collides with the in-engine's physics rules which aren't much more than object has mass and density.

The game sees a vehicle as a rigid physics object on wheels. The game's internal physics engine will calculate the mass and density and then the vehicle engine takes over with it's own physics setup to drive the thing and add suspension and so forth.

In every vehicle are two major hitboxes that sit inside one another. One is for terrain collision and the other is for bullets. The game hints that if these two boxes cross over things will go wrong - like if a wheel intersects the bounding box. You also have to keep these hit boxes very low in poly count else the game will try to calculate every potential hit surface.

But on top of that you also have further refinements in the in-game vehicle editor where you can create bounding boxes for wheels and other triggers like sparks or weak-points.

You can see where I'm going when you combine this into what is effectively a segmented flying room that spins 360 and has detachable parts.
So now you are flying a quivering hulk of physics objects waiting for something to set it off and then a gun turret or errant bounding box clips as the game stutters from the lag and all goes to hell.

No doubt the guys at CryTek put together a working proof of concept which looks feasible but as they added more and more at Robert's whim, things got well out of hand and the engine's capabilities.

Contrast this with Unity 3D, where you can create a main body object, attach 4 wheel objects, plop a controller and camera into the main body, then assign a mesh to all five of the components (presumably a car body mesh and wheels) and have a functional vehicle.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 14, 2016

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Scruffpuff posted:

It all seems to point to the same thing: CRoberts has not played any games in years, or he'd already know all this. He's trying to create a game to compete with the best the genre has to offer, with no knowledge of what's been done already, and how it fared. He has ideas for "new" stuff that came out in 1996. He thinks traveling through vents is the pinnacle of innovation, a trope so old I can't even find its first use in video gaming.

I think that you nailed this on the head. I wonder if other developers find this laughable, when Croberts is going on and on about revolutionizing the video game industry by doing things that were accomplished in the 90's?

Actually I wonder if a lot of backers fall into this category - guys that haven't even really played video games since Wing Commander and Privateer - it could go a long way to explaining why they are so amazed about everything SC related.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

Joe Kucan was already working as a producer with Westwood when C&C1 was made. He was tapped for the role of Kane as a guy with acting experience who could look menacing in front of a camera. The FMVs, of course, became one of the best and most fun parts of the C&C series and he went on to build an entire film studio inside Westwood's offices in Las Vegas but he still worked as a producer when the cameras were off.

Plus of course the C&C games were actually released, were greatly popular, and made vast amounts of money.

He runs a theatrical company now. He came out of retirement for the later C&Cs.

It takes some skill to straddle the fine line between enjoyable cheese and outright badness and the C&C cutscenes nailed it. Joe Kucan owned that role. From what we've seen of Sandi she lacks even a fraction of his talent and if the Oldman speech is any indication the writing in Squadron 42 is going to be dire.

Actually come to think of it the early C&C titles might be the only games where I never skipped the cutscenes on a replay because they were so fun.

Can't beat the sheriff of Nottingham....

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Scruffpuff posted:

He thinks traveling through vents is the pinnacle of innovation, a trope so old I can't even find its first use in video gaming.
Alien on C64 had the Alien move through them when it felt like it.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
I hate the fact that I'm finding out about these deaths through the SC thread. First David Bowie, and now Alan Rickman? Can we get a mulligan on this year? Because it sucks.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

imperialparadox posted:

I think that you nailed this on the head. I wonder if other developers find this laughable, when Croberts is going on and on about revolutionizing the video game industry by doing things that were accomplished in the 90's?

Actually I wonder if a lot of backers fall into this category - guys that haven't even really played video games since Wing Commander and Privateer - it could go a long way to explaining why they are so amazed about everything SC related.

I am certain it is the case that the backers are just in the same boat. Or more cognitive dissonance and doublethink. They are really good at that.

What bothers me about it is these are people that are meant to love space games but haven't really bothered to actually play the multitudes of them that are available. Recently there is a crazy number of them released and coming.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i remember going into the vents in Space Assassin, which was a fighting fantasy gamebook from 1985

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sillybones posted:

I am certain it is the case that the backers are just in the same boat. Or more cognitive dissonance and doublethink. They are really good at that.

What bothers me about it is these are people that are meant to love space games but haven't really bothered to actually play the multitudes of them that are available. Recently there is a crazy number of them released and coming.

It's really, really weird. The best thing to come out of this thread for me personally was a renewed interest in Elite Dangerous, which I'm finally starting to learn the ropes of. It really seems to indicate that it isn't space games per se that these people care about. People have pinned it on escapism, but that doesn't hold up in my view, because there are too many immersive (real immersion, not unskippable animations) games out there that more than fulfill that role. It has to be something else. They've managed to tap into some primal poo poo in these backers. I think it's a combination of:

- Nostalgia
- Hype
- Opposing critical thinking
- Isolating members and penalizing them for leaving
- Seeking inappropriate loyalty to their leaders

Oh wait a minute, that looks familiar.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
What Chris Roberts is actually trying to do is create a youtube game in the vein of Goat Simulator and early access DayZ clones. The glitchy physics are all on purpose, because that's what kids like these days!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

It's really, really weird. The best thing to come out of this thread for me personally was a renewed interest in Elite Dangerous, which I'm finally starting to learn the ropes of. It really seems to indicate that it isn't space games per se that these people care about. People have pinned it on escapism, but that doesn't hold up in my view, because there are too many immersive (real immersion, not unskippable animations) games out there that more than fulfill that role. It has to be something else. They've managed to tap into some primal poo poo in these backers. I think it's a combination of:

- Nostalgia
- Hype

Yep.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40v29l/monthly_report_rotating_planets_and_actual/

Read the first couple of comments. The move to 64-bit made rotating and daytime/nighttime modes possible. The level of delusion is off the charts.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Nation posted:

That card is worth $1 if anyone thinks it costs more than that you are stupid

Marxist!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

- Nostalgia
- Hype

There are actually very few games that are immersive space games. Elite Dangerous starts out great until you realise that there is nothing to do - to me the best game in this genre in recent years is still X3 with its expansion packs.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Scruffpuff posted:

Speaking of, are people joking when they say this is a cult, because I sure am not. It is terrifying. It is not a nice cult either. It is the bank account draining, friend and family alienating kind.

Iglocska posted:

There are actually very few games that are immersive space games. Elite Dangerous starts out great until you realise that there is nothing to do - to me the best game in this genre in recent years is still X3 with its expansion packs.

It was the mods that made it good for me. Try modded X3 today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fuctifino posted:

For those with new Platinum accounts, please be aware that your account has to be at least 6 months old before you can see Platinum redacted messages. You can request being whitelisted by writing a thread in GBS and explaining why you feel the block should be lifted.

lmao

• Locked thread