Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Sillybones posted:

Speaking of, are people joking when they say this is a cult, because I sure am not. It is terrifying. It is not a nice cult either. It is the bank account draining, friend and family alienating kind.

It was the mods that made it good for me. Try modded X3 today!

I've never played it with any mods! I'll try it this weekend, sounds good :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yep.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40v29l/monthly_report_rotating_planets_and_actual/

Read the first couple of comments. The move to 64-bit made rotating and daytime/nighttime modes possible. The level of delusion is off the charts.

WhatisthisIdonteven.

How does that even make the remotest shred of something that at a long distance could be very briefly construed as even the tiniest bit of sense?! Rotating a spherical body requires 64bit positioning now? You could use a sodding 32bit INT to track Jupiter's rotation at a centimetre-level precision.

HOW CAN THESE PEOPLE BE THIS loving STUPID!

ARRGHGHHH

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

WhatisthisIdonteven.

How does that even make the remotest shred of something that at a long distance could be very briefly construed as even the tiniest bit of sense?! Rotating a spherical body requires 64bit positioning now? You could use a sodding 32bit INT to track Jupiter's rotation at a centimetre-level precision.

ARRGHGHHH

I am sorry, it shows that you are clueless. With 32bit precision you can only rotate cubes.

Also, you can only rotate them clockwise, when viewing it from the center of space (earth).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Iglocska posted:

I am sorry, it shows that you are clueless. With 32bit precision you can only rotate cubes.

Also, you can only rotate them clockwise, when viewing it from the center of space (earth).

I repeat: ARRGHGHHH

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Alan rickman has died :rip: what the gently caress is going on?!

By Grabthars Hammer that's depressing :smith:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Tippis posted:

WhatisthisIdonteven.

ARRGHGHHH

Uhhm SCUSE ME you filthy pleb, how many vidjamagames have YOU designed?? HUh?! HUH?! :smuggo: THOUGHT SO :smuggo:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Don't the boats in World of Warcraft have local physics grids?

Maybe this is said enough, but Space Engineers already exists and has so much more of the promised functionality than Star Citizen ever will.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

I repeat: ARRGHGHHH

don't feel bad, you're just ignorant

you see, you're regular 32-bit int can at most track a polygon with 32 sides (a four-bit int can track a cube and so on .. pretty simpl.)

since grpahics cart are made for manipulating triangles, it means many ints for a CIRLCE (3.14159.... ints)

trackinga SPEHRE takes literally exponantialy more int's and so on

wiht 64-bit precision yuo need ONE graphics card instead of TWO so

RSI saved you like $500 ;)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fargin Icehole posted:

Alright, trying to find the actor's access page of her, I want to show my brother why something like Sandi acting with A-List actors, and comparing it to Joe Kucan directing and acting as Kane with actors in the Command and Conquer days is incomparable.

Yeah but Joe Kucan is freaking Marlon Brando compared to Sandi Roberts.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

you see, you're regular 32-bit int can at most track a polygon with 32 sides (a four-bit int can track a cube and so on .. pretty simpl.)

since grpahics cart are made for manipulating triangles, it means many ints for a CIRLCE (3.14159.... ints)

:golfclap:

Well played sir.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sillybones posted:

Maybe this is said enough, but Space Engineers already exists and has so much more of the promised functionality than Star Citizen ever will.

Plus regular weekly updates that add cool things and aren't multiple gigabytes

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Uhhm SCUSE ME you filthy pleb, how many vidjamagames have YOU designed?? HUh?! HUH?! :smuggo: THOUGHT SO :smuggo:

Funnily enough, asking CRobber that very same question yields a pretty lacklustre answer.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:golfclap: You should be a redditor — it would vastly improve the logic and reasoning of the place.

e: Sorry, that was uncalled for. You made a funny post and I thanked you by insulting you.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 14, 2016

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Is this too long for a thread title

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sillybones posted:

Yeah, they had to be coded in as at the start of WoW you could kill an enemy and his corpse would slide off the boat and be stuck out in the middle of the sea.
Which was death as your health would drain if you weren't on a boat that far out.

Nowadays each boat or flying public transport has its own mini instance as soon as you touch the floor. Hover above it and you are still part of the outer world.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

fuctifino posted:

For those with new Platinum accounts, please be aware that your account has to be at least 6 months old before you can see Platinum redacted messages. You can request being whitelisted by writing a thread in GBS and explaining why you feel the block should be lifted.

God darnit cant they even find the correct forum section for these complaiments that guys should totally check the instructions that are located here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=212

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, they had to be coded in as at the start of WoW you could kill an enemy and his corpse would slide off the boat and be stuck out in the middle of the sea.
Which was death as your health would drain if you weren't on a boat that far out.

Nowadays each boat or flying public transport has its own mini instance as soon as you touch the floor. Hover above it and you are still part of the outer world.

Can you still mind control people off boats leaving them stranded in the middle of the ocean? Used to play a priest and enjoyed doing that to people who started poo poo.

Mind control was all around hilarious. Could make dudes jump off the huge towers in the outlands and take equipment damage rather than a no penalty PVP death.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

Funnily enough, asking CRobber that very same question yields a pretty lacklustre answer.

:golfclap: You should be a redditor — it would vastly improve the logic and reasoning of the place.

e: Sorry, that was uncalled for. You made a funny post and I thanked you by insulting you.

No, that's fair

The internet made me stupid

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Star Citizen killed Alan Rickman :mad:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

quote:

[–]FloDaddeltFreelancer 3 points 2 hours ago*

already in the game

Zyloh said on discord in december that they're aiming for something like this: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/10/science/An-Image-of-Earth-Every-Ten-Minutes.html?_r=3

(for weather effects from space)

It'll be interesting to see if they can use the double torus dynamics the two opposite poles of planets are creating: http://www.cosmometry.net/the-torus---dynamic-flow-process

Star Citizen: Now with double torus dynamics. I assume that was a stretch goal.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Dear Cancer,

Please kill no more cool dudes.

gently caress you,
Random Internet Person

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Hey is there a way to hide text within posts from people with less than rear admiral pledge status? I can only get it to work for hiding stuff from non-platinum users.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Berious posted:

Can you still mind control people off boats leaving them stranded in the middle of the ocean? Used to play a priest and enjoyed doing that to people who started poo poo.

Mind control was all around hilarious. Could make dudes jump off the huge towers in the outlands and take equipment damage rather than a no penalty PVP death.

Nah, you stop at the edge now. Also ships have crews that can attack you. Depends on the ship of course.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Hey is there a way to hide text within posts from people with less than rear admiral pledge status? I can only get it to work for hiding stuff from non-platinum users.

The cutoff is $1000 you non-concierge scum.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If the whales revolt, they are hosed. No way can they subsist on just random new backers for $40

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tippis posted:

Nature's harmonic 64-bit simultaneous 4-day rotational time sphere.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

WebDog posted:

Reading up about CryEngine vehicles is interesting.

It seems anything can be assigned as vehicle.
You build it in max/maya in segmented bits, import in and then assign a movement preset like tank or VTOL and then go into the in-game editor and assign the model's parts to be a wheel or light and so on.

Presumably alternate vehicle systems can be coded in. Which is where I think the majority of the problems could be stemming from, their attempt to make a flight engine that collides with the in-engine's physics rules which aren't much more than object has mass and density.

The game sees a vehicle as a rigid physics object on wheels. The game's internal physics engine will calculate the mass and density and then the vehicle engine takes over with it's own physics setup to drive the thing and add suspension and so forth.

In every vehicle are two major hitboxes that sit inside one another. One is for terrain collision and the other is for bullets. The game hints that if these two boxes cross over things will go wrong - like if a wheel intersects the bounding box. You also have to keep these hit boxes very low in poly count else the game will try to calculate every potential hit surface.

But on top of that you also have further refinements in the in-game vehicle editor where you can create bounding boxes for wheels and other triggers like sparks or weak-points.

You can see where I'm going when you combine this into what is effectively a segmented flying room that spins 360 and has detachable parts.
So now you are flying a quivering hulk of physics objects waiting for something to set it off and then a gun turret or errant bounding box clips as the game stutters from the lag and all goes to hell.

No doubt the guys at CryTek put together a working proof of concept which looks feasible but as they added more and more at Robert's whim, things got well out of hand and the engine's capabilities.

You can actually see this in the video where Roberts is looking at the physics bugs on the Retaliator, because he turns on the physics bounding boxes (briefly) in the editor while he's standing on the elevator to get in to the ship.

(This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165H_5jgE5g )
This is also the one where Chris himself takes credit for most of the physics code that they're still using, and says "Oh yea the retaliator is jerking around on the landing pad because the landing struts aren't actually level and aligned with each other. We'll get that fixed eventually!!!"

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Someone mentioned power armor?
Sorry, those are undergarments.
For fags.

This is power armor:

Its not armor if you can put it on by yourself...

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 14, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Someone mentioned power armor?
Sorry, those are undergarments.
For fags.

This is power armor:

god drat space marines look ridiculous in the buff, no wonder they wander around in hundreds of kilos of armour

e: I'm the filthy loincloth that functions both as underwear and outerwear

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

poo poo, have we just confirmed that Yggdrasil is running on 64bit?

(oldschool anime based joke)

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just a quick reminder of what an actual, competent, game company is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSuyagCDsY

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 14, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ah reddit...from here https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40v4ms/frankfurt_guys_are_really_fast_they_started/

quote:

[–]ChiggenWingz 38 points 13 hours ago

I've worked int he game industry for a number of years, and not to diminish what the Frankfurt team have done, which is good, but what you'll find even though initial tech was fast, integration into the game will likely take far longer.

Basically coming up with a new feature is normally pretty easy when you hack and slash your way through code to make a proof of concept. But its the integration with the rest of the game which then slows things down. Its less about typing out heaps of lines of code, and more working out what systems the new feature affects and in what way. Then also needing to take into account how all the use cases affect the system. Then getting all those systems to play happily together.

In most cases what you'll likely find is a feature will appear on the surface as 4/5ths done in a short period of time, only for that last 1/5th to take 80% of full development time.

So lets say it took them 4 months to get what we see today. Times that by 5 and then we'll likely see that tech ready to go for prime time. 5x4 = 20. So 20 months from Septempter puts us at April 2017 when we see could estimate the procedural planet tech being in a state where it feels solid, it is feature rich and it blends well in the game.

We may likely get it available for us to dive into much sooner than that, but we'll likely watch it progress bit by bit over the next few months slowly. :)

So basically someone with common sense on how things operate in the real world.

But fortunately there are those more experienced:

quote:

[–]MittenFacedLad 1 point 10 hours ago

I don't think it'll take 20 months, at least when it comes to the first in-game implementation we'll see. It will take time though, and the more advanced procedural stuff will be further down the road certainly, I think.

permalinkparent

[–]AjBlue7 1 point an hour ago

I'm with you, I think he was acting crazy when he stated 20months. Procedural generation of a barren planet is child's play for experienced coders. The real issues crop up when you are spawning trees/lakes/planets/animals onto the world. Obviously they probably won't start work on this tech until years from now, but they do plan to build it as CR has said that you will be able to hunt animals on planets.

I'm not saying that he is wrong about the polishing part taking much longer than initial implementation, this is true. But I think initial implementation took about a weeks time, and the following months have been them combining the code for the PU and bug fixing multiplayer issues that crop up. The PU in general was pretty unstable until recently, which is probably why they only did a singleplayer demo of the tech.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Gilganixon posted:

god drat space marines look ridiculous in the buff, no wonder they wander around in hundreds of kilos of armour

e: I'm the filthy loincloth that functions both as underwear and outerwear

you think thats bad?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Colostomy Bag posted:

But fortunately there are those more experienced:

Oh, it is already done! These masterminds of the tech industry, who are paid below industry standards, just belted it out in no time. I think we will see the PU (pee-yew is a sound you make when something stinks?) finished in the next few months.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Dongattack posted:

This is good computers specs tho isn't it? I don't know enough about specs, but i know 980TI is "new".

It's actually the best GPU on the market :science:

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
There's no way this game is not going to get utterly beat the gently caress to market assuming development isn't completely shut down a few months from now. If it's not Elite, it will probably be some other unannounced space plane game made by a competent dev studio backed by a meaty publisher.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Hey, maybe we should get this woman in contact with Dickwulfe...

https://www.facebook.com/NYPost/videos/10157019406270206/

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

quote:

The PU in general was pretty unstable until recently, which is probably why they only did a singleplayer demo of the tech.

Yes citizen.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Hmmm I wonder what Del boys up to? May have had to take Legal for a walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

fuctifino posted:

For those with new Platinum accounts, please be aware that your account has to be at least 6 months old before you can see Platinum redacted messages. You can request being whitelisted by writing a thread in GBS and explaining why you feel the block should be lifted.

We're not making fun of you, reddit dude. Just the insanely stupid PM you sent.

Also, Star Marine is Dead Space now, or something.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40uw7p/new_uee_marine_uniform_is_gorgeous/

• Locked thread