Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Someone mentioned power armor?
Sorry, those are undergarments.
For fags.

This is power armor:

Its not armor if you can put it on by yourself...

I actually thought it would be cool to have boarding actually being done by dudes in Starship Troopers/Studio Nue/Masamune Shirow-style battlesuits, that would jump out of space craft to assault other spaceships, like the Orz space marines from Star Control 2. It's much cooler to be a humanoid space fighter, slightly larger than a man, zooming onto an enemy ship and delivering point-blank justice to the cockpit, or taking over a ship or station and dealing with security than landing or docking a Cutlass and having combat like it was a normal FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

I actually thought it would be cool to have boarding actually being done by dudes in Starship Troopers/Studio Nue/Masamune Shirow-style battlesuits, that would jump out of space craft to assault other spaceships, like the Orz space marines from Star Control 2. It's much cooler to be a humanoid space fighter, slightly larger than a man, zooming onto an enemy ship and delivering point-blank justice to the cockpit, or taking over a ship or station and dealing with security than landing or docking a Cutlass and having combat like it was a normal FPS.

Boarding torpedoes.
If you have to take over a ship, it should be done via boarding torpedoes.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gwaihir posted:

You can actually see this in the video where Roberts is looking at the physics bugs on the Retaliator, because he turns on the physics bounding boxes (briefly) in the editor while he's standing on the elevator to get in to the ship.

(This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165H_5jgE5g )
This is also the one where Chris himself takes credit for most of the physics code that they're still using, and says "Oh yea the retaliator is jerking around on the landing pad because the landing struts aren't actually level and aligned with each other. We'll get that fixed eventually!!!"

Setting aside the “eventually” for something that should take all of 3 seconds…

He takes credit for the physics code by pointing to something that the physics code should be able to handle and make a non-issue. Where are the spring forces that react to the mass of the ship and have it level out in accordance to the mass distribution among those struts? You're not just confusing simple collision detection between bounding boxes with a “physics engine”, right Chris?

spacetoaster posted:

Just a quick reminder of what an actual, competent, game company is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSuyagCDsY

Pff. Look how genuinely happy and excited they look. They're obviously just bad actors trying to pretend that they're game designers.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Sillybones posted:

Don't the boats in World of Warcraft have local physics grids?
Pretty sure the boats in Everquest had localized physics grids. And they were ahead of the game on falling through the bottom of ships as well.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I have to say the citizens took it better than what I'd have thought

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40wzp3/rockpapershotgun_article_september_12th_2016/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

Just a quick reminder of what an actual, competent, game company is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSuyagCDsY

Pay attention to how they deal with a controversy. I think a bunch of people were surprised in this thread when it came out that DU was being sold for $1 as part of that indie deal, and apparently the DU forums made an issue of it as well. So how do they handle it?

1. They explain the problem up front as part of their regular channel.
2. They don't bullshit about the circumstances. A charity asked them for games, they donated a bunch of licenses, and they didn't realize they'd be sold for $1.
3. They accept it for what it is and move on.

No bullshit forum posts, no handwaving, no ignoring the issue for months. Exactly how you handle a problem and respect your community.

EDIT: "Why even talk about it when we can show you." I love these guys.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pay attention to how they deal with a controversy.

Note, also, that the controversy arose because of their fundamental generosity and not out of hosed-up greed.

Losing Peterson really was the moment that things turned. Still salty about it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Oh, and while I was at the store looking at cheese, I came up with an analogy I'd like to try on you guys:

Carpenter Chris: Hey everyone! I've come up with this new thing that will revolutionise the industry: dowels and glue!
All the other carpenters: Ehm… we've had those for a while you know.
CC: …and also nails…
All: …and screws, yes, we know.
CC: It'll be great. But you know how wood can be a bit too heavy at times? Well, I found this thing called bakelite!
All: Yeeeeaaaah… we kind of moved on from that and prefer plastics and ceramics these days, you know? Also, bakelite and wood dowels? How are…
CC: It'll be the best castle I ever made!
All: Chris, buddy, sweetie, you are a carpenter, not a mason. Remember that last stone cabin you tried to build? The one that fell over? And sank in the swamp? And you're building a cupboard, not a castle… out of bakelite, for some reason?
CC: Polka dots!!
All: …
CC: Pink and green dots!
All: Stop huffing the paint Chris — in fact, put the paint away altogether. We've all seen your colouring sensibility.
CC: Glue works too.
All: Yes. Yes it does. Just stay away from the nails and wooden crosses.

(It's a Christ analogy, see?)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Yolomon Wayne posted:

you think thats bad?

ugh

fwiw here's how i'd approach power armour:

The helmet is clear and allows you to move your whole head around to look about the place. The armour itself is some tough fabric material maybe with ceramic inserts or something over a frame that lets the wearer carry heavier stuff (you can see bits of this poking out under the hands and the back of and under the feet. There's a targeter built in on the shoulder so you don't have to aim down the barrel to hit things, it has a fly so you can take a piss and it has lots of straps so you can carry stuff or do space things. The valves and tubes are so your assistants can reload your weapons/power your suit/chill your tang/ recycle your urine. It has a jet pack so you can float real good in space. Again it'd be mostly silver (or white) to weaken laser beams or whatever is being fired at you.

Here is some generic sci fi armour i made a while ago

Silver metallic armour to deflect shots, the bulky pantaloons are stuffed with space silk or some other BS to absorb impacts and make it slightly harder to target the limbs. Probably could use a helmet and something over the chest because that's where you're gonna get shot but it's alien fashion, what are ya gonna do

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

Note, also, that the controversy arose because of their fundamental generosity and not out of hosed-up greed.

Losing Peterson really was the moment that things turned. Still salty about it.

MARKETING MOMENT! MARKETING MOMENT!

The contrast in joy and enthusiasm between Wingman's Hangar and ATV is incredible, even years later. Losing those guys was a terrible blow.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So something rather comical because I heard about the Sony "Let's Play" thing. Per the USPTO, CIG haven't trademarked any of their sub module names meaning a dev or studio could file the trademark and put out a game of their own that uses it.

Not sure if the USPTO would approve it mind you, due to the prior use, but it'd be funny if CIG had to change the name because they didn't file the name they want to use.

I'll also laugh if a Citizen reads this post and files the trademarks, because it'd help show a bit of the fanatical behavior some of them suffer from.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 14, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Today we get another AtV from the UK, what a treat

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tippis posted:

Setting aside the “eventually” for something that should take all of 3 seconds…

He takes credit for the physics code by pointing to something that the physics code should be able to handle and make a non-issue. Where are the spring forces that react to the mass of the ship and have it level out in accordance to the mass distribution among those struts? You're not just confusing simple collision detection between bounding boxes with a “physics engine”, right Chris?

Pff. Look how genuinely happy and excited they look. They're obviously just bad actors trying to pretend that they're game designers.

Yea, the joke of Chris taking credit for one of the most hosed and broken parts of their game is pretty much Star Citizen as gently caress.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tippis posted:

He probably still thinks he's got a sprite-based engine like the original Wing Commander.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Young Freud posted:

like the Orz space marines from Star Control 2.

My opinion in general is that if you can take an idea from Star Control 2, it's generally a good idea.

As the former CIG artists noted though, ideas are cheap. Crobber would inevitably screw it up in 59 different ways thanks to his own internal 'vision'.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tippis posted:

Yeah it's quite touching how happy they look having escaped the CIG gulag :unsmith:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Iglocska posted:

There are actually very few games that are immersive space games. Elite Dangerous starts out great until you realise that there is nothing to do - to me the best game in this genre in recent years is still X3 with its expansion packs.

I have seen X3 mentionned a few times around but i cant figure how to buy it.

Steam offer me 6 different games all named "X3: something" and i cant figure out what is DLC or expansion for what and wich one i should buy. Would you care to give us a quick rundown of the series and what package does what exactly ? Please ? Also i heard this thing had mods too so would you care to recommend a few ?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Unfunny Poster posted:

So something rather comical because I heard about the Sony "Let's Play" thing. Per the USPTO, CIG haven't trademarked any of their sub module names meaning a dev or studio could file the trademark and put out a game of their own that uses it.

Not sure if the USPTO would approve it mind you, due to the prior use, but it'd be funny if CIG had to change the name because they didn't file the name they want to use.

I'll also laugh if a Citizen reads this post and files the trademarks, because it'd help show a bit of the fanatical behavior some of them suffer from.
They filed the trademark in the appropriate class of goods back in 2012- and have been awarded the mark in the gaming class of goods.

They also filed for some other classes of goods which have yet to be awarded...

USPTO.GOV posted:

"IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Toys, namely, toy action figures and action figure accessories, namely, positionable toy figures, music box toys, inflatable toys, paper dolls, articulated and non-articulated dolls, puppets, toy balloons, toy action balls, toy banks, toy building blocks, toy construction playsets, toy mobiles, toy vehicles, toy spaceships, toy coins, yo-yos; hand-held units for playing electronic games and video games for use with an external monitor; electronic toys in the nature of a virtual person, namely, toy action figures and action figure accessories with an electronic power source; video game systems comprising hand-held units for playing video games and associated game cartridges sold as a unit; action skill games; hand-held unit with a viewing function for playing electronic games; promotional game cards; stand alone video game machines; hand-held electric and non-electric pinball games; manipulative puzzles; skates, namely, in-line skates, roller skates; skateboards; jigsaw puzzles; jump ropes; kites; games, namely, parlor games and role playing games; snow boards; snow skis; sports balls; amusement machines, namely, computer game consoles adapted for use with television receivers"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Fidelity.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

G0RF posted:

They filed the trademark in the appropriate class of goods back in 2012- and have been awarded the mark in the gaming class of goods.

They also filed for some other classes of goods which have yet to be awarded...

What? No Star Citizen-branded inlines or party balloons? Outrageous.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

aleksendr posted:

Steam offer me 6 different games all named "X3: something" and i cant figure out what is DLC or expansion for what and wich one i should buy. Would you care to give us a quick rundown of the series and what package does what exactly ? Please ? Also i heard this thing had mods too so would you care to recommend a few ?

I have only played X3 and then later on the expansion terran conflict, both completely unmodded when they came out, so I am definitely not the right person to ask.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

What? No Star Citizen-branded inlines or party balloons? Outrageous.

quote:

hand-held units for playing electronic games and video games for use with an external monitor; video game systems comprising hand-held units for playing video games and associated game cartridges sold as a unit
:can: Star citizen for consoles confirmed :can:

WLMortis
Sep 28, 2001
Nebulosis Defunctus
Slippery Tilde
I bought Euro Truck Simulator 2 and both of the map expansions for it thanks to this thread.

I'm really enjoying it so far, and now I'm worried that I might be autistic. :spergin:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

aleksendr posted:

First there was X³: Reunion. Then they released a continuation/sequel that was the same storyline and (mostly) the same core engine in the form of X³: Terran Conflict — it's more like X3.5, really. Then they released DLC for X³TC in the form of Albion Prelude, which also included some gameplay and engine enhancements.

What you you want is Terran Conflict + Albion Prelude, and then you want to mod it. Steam offers both as a package in the form of the X³ Terran War Pack.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

aleksendr posted:

Get X3:TC and X3:AP which is an expansion for TC. Then hit up their forums for some sweet mods.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

aleksendr posted:

There are three you want to consider:

1. X3: Reunion - First standalone X3 game released in 2005. Only buy it if you want the story (which isn't what X games are about, btw). $9.99 on steam
2. X3: Terran Conflict - Second X3 Standalone game released in 2008. Includes the same systems as X3R, but also includes the Terran system (Earth, Mars, etc). Different story. Released in 2008. $15.99 on steam
DLC: X3: Albion Prelude - Sort of a tie in between X3:TC and X Rebirth. I never saw it really, but it did add better trade mechanics, more systems, and cooler enemies. Worth the DLC. $9.99 on steam
3. X Rebirth - New version thats supposed to be FPS. A huge departure from the previous X games, so it has pretty bad reviews. It was also pretty crappy at release, but most Egosoft games are. Only buy it if you're a space whale that has to have all the X games. like me. $39.99 on Steam, with a bunch of DLC.

Get this: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12588/

There's a SA Thread about X too

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 14, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

G0RF posted:

Fidelity.

I will never stop being astonished by the way they bother to render a high fidelity tongue inside of a closed mouth the whole time you're flying a spaceship around.

You see a space ship on your screen. Inside it is a cabin that you can just make out, all rendered in high definition. Inside that is a space suit that you can't see, also rendered in high definition. Inside of that is a spaceman's head, that you can't see, still rendered in high definition. Inside that is a tongue, also rendered in high definition with bump mapping and full environmental reflections.

Think of this every time you wonder why that space ship flying across your screen is rendering at 10fps and marvel at the vision of Chris Roberts.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 14, 2016

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

aleksendr posted:

The X-Superbox goes on sale regularly for $10. Just wait for that. If you can't, there are 3 X3 games, get X3: TC as it has the best story line, X3: AP is mostly a sandbox version, and X3: R no one talks about.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6330/

1500 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 14, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/40uas9/ds_plans_to_attend_gg_convention_that_was_delayed/cyxtyse?context=3

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Got an anonymous message from Reddit that they said I could share:

quote:

Hello Beer,

i am fellow, ex citizen (got the full refund just in time last year), and i possibly have found some information that thanks to yours links and capacity may be you can validate. Is reserved only to European citizen as it uses a EU procedure https://e-justice.europa.eu/dynform_intro_member_state_action.do?StartForm&msCodeSelection=28&idTaxonomy=177

The principle is that as the Chris Roberts has opened a company in Uk to not pay taxes and use European citizen money to make more money (making them to pay vat for him to not pay taxes) so as paying vat for SC project, the expense can not be calculated as donation.

If this is correct the EU citizen, if it has not received a refund, can apply to the European Small Claims Procedure that seeks to improve and simplify procedures in civil and commercial matters where the value of a claim does not exceed 2000 €. The court should be in Uk were CIG European branch is based. As they have not delivered the product and they are continuously shaving and removing features from the project.

if what i guess is true than that would be a nice tool for the EU ones that want to bail out. And if CIG have to do it for them.... USA and other citizens have more bullets to get the refunds

I don't know poo poo about EU stuff but maybe some Eurogoons can have fun with this.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

G0RF posted:

Fidelity.

pre:
...##........##..........#####...######..######.........        
..##.....##..##..........##..##....##......##...........        
.#####...######..........#####.....##......##...........        
.##..##......##..........##..##....##......##...........        
..####.......##..........#####...######....##...........        
.######..######..#####...######..##......######..######..##..##.
.##........##....##..##..##......##........##......##.....####..
.####......##....##..##..####....##........##......##......##...
.##........##....##..##..##......##........##......##......##...
.##......######..#####...######..######..######....##......##...

________________$$$$ SPACESHIPS
______________$$____$$
______________$$____$$
______________$$____$$
______________$$____$$
______________$$____$$
__________$$$$$$____$$$$$$
________$$____$$____$$____$$$$
________$$____$$____$$____$$__$$
$$$$$$__$$____$$____$$____$$____$$
$$____$$$$________________$$____$$
$$______$$______________________$$
__$$____$$______________________$$
___$$$__$$______________________$$
____$$__________________________$$
_____$$$________________________$$
______$$______________________$$$
_______$$$____________________$$
________$$____________________$$
_________$$$________________$$$
__________$$________________$$
__________$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:can: Star citizen for consoles confirmed :can:

I can't wait until Star Citizen released for Nintendo DS. I'm gonna play the poo poo out of it!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
RE: X3 modding, the best advice i can give new players is just to start out playing vanilla, play until something annoys you and then find a mod that fixes it. 99% certainly there will be a mod for it.

edit: also Elite is good you cunts, if you want Euro Truck Simulator in space cause that's what it is. i love it in short bursts

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I really wonder how many years he expects people to wait before the "benefit of the doubt" no longer applies.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Mustache Ride posted:

There are three you want to consider:

1. X3: Reunion - First standalone X3 game released in 2005. Only buy it if you want the story (which isn't what X games are about, btw). $9.99 on steam
2. X3: Terran Conflict - Second X3 Standalone game released in 2008. Includes the same systems as X3R, but also includes the Terran system (Earth, Mars, etc). Different story. Released in 2008. $15.99 on steam
DLC: X3: Albion Prelude - Sort of a tie in between X3:TC and X Rebirth. I never saw it really, but it did add better trade mechanics, more systems, and cooler enemies. Worth the DLC. $9.99 on steam
3. X Rebirth - New version thats supposed to be FPS. A huge departure from the previous X games, so it has pretty bad reviews. It was also pretty crappy at release, but most Egosoft games are. Only buy it if you're a space whale that has to have all the X games. like me. $39.99 on Steam, with a bunch of DLC.

Get this: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12588/

There's a SA Thread about X too

Thanks to everyone who answered. Flagged the war box and waiting for it to go on sale.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Dongattack posted:

RE: X3 modding, the best advice i can give new players is just to start out playing vanilla, play until something annoys you and then find a mod that fixes it. 99% certainly there will be a mod for it.

edit: also Elite is good you cunts, if you want Euro Truck Simulator in space cause that's what it is. i love it in short bursts

Rebel galaxy is the best space truck game, because you can shoot cunts while listening to country music in space

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

duck monster posted:

Rebel galaxy is the best space truck game, because you can shoot cunts while listening to country music in space

too simplistic... casual game for filthy casuals..... star citizen...... i need you.... help,,,,,,,

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

If any SC cultists are reading this I have one question to ask you: Why do you get so upset about being called a cult?

You call SA a cult and we don't care because we know it's a dumb thing to say. Why don't you feel the same when it's used to describe SC? Could it be that... deep down... you think it might not be a dumb thing to say? That there might be more to it? Maybe there might be some truth in there?

Grasp at that sliver of self awareness, see where it leads you.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Another spaceship game that should launch before star citizen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOW-NCdKgj4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Yet again, while excitedly gushing to my friend about Alpha 2.0, he summarized what it's like every time I talk about the game, with this simple infographic.

• Locked thread