Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
INVESTIGATE THE HEAT SOURCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

This

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Take a smoke bath and go home

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

And try and figure out where this place is relative to us, the mine etc.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

This, but be cautious. Wouldn't want to be severed from our body and live our life as a specter of some sort.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Strike the Earth!

Like the ancient dwarves of yore, your floating consciousness burrows deep within the earth, penetrating stone and ore, following nothing but the sensation of your instincts. You pass hallways hewn from the mountain.
Passages, twisted and darkbeige, all alike.

As you near the only constant source of heat in these cramped quarters, your environment starts taking new shape. The walls become smoother, your vision less... hazy? You realize this as it happens, but the world has been lacking in subtle detail until now.
But the details grow denser still, and soon even the former dull sound of water dripping from the ceiling echoes into the roar of waterfalls.

But just as soon as it began, it stabilizes. The world takes on the hue of magma and fear creeps into the corner of your eyes.

Far below the surface, on a bed of gravel lies a man in chains and not. His form is sleeping, yet he is sitting up, awake. He looks to you, confused but alert. His voice is dark and quivering.

“What? Who are you? Am I dead?”

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You tell me. What's your name buddy?

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Not yet?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Outrail posted:

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Man in Chains

Wentley posted:

Not yet?

Outrail posted:

The man is quiet for a moment, then replies, his voice like a gnomish rapid fire hand-held arbalest. All short, forceful bursts, but at the same time jovial.

“Ragnar! Ragnar the Lucky! Except maybe not so lucky now. Haha.”
“I got captured, y'see. It's a joke.”

“Why are you transparent?”

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

magic

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Alchemy.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

“I got captured, y'see. It's a joke.”

Captured by whom, or by what? And how?

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

“Why are you transparent?”

Some sort of astral projection probably, but am not certain.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Conversations in the Deep

Wentley posted:

Alchemy.

Theantero posted:

Captured by whom, or by what? And how?

Some sort of astral projection probably, but am not certain.

"Huh. Really now? Well, I'll take your word for it, it's not as if I have any other choice, hahaha."

He takes a deep breath, straining against some wounds that may or may not exist upon his form, before continuing with his mile-a-minute storytime tale.

"I was jumped by tiny lizards! If you can imagine such a fate?!"
"I've been a mercenary for many years, wandering from job to job, when I happen upon a team of fresh-faced youngsters in need of some experience in a small community to the west of here!"
"They convinced me to join them on a little expedition! To this here silvermine that I currently find myself in."

"There where six of us, all in all. A good number for any small scale battle! Except not when the small scales outnumber you, ahahaha." "Another joke."
"We wandered into the mine full of good cheer, for we where certain no ill fate could befall us."

"Suddenly, Tobias (one of our fighters) stepped in one of those beartraps you see hunters carrying around sometimes, and before we could react a bunch of rocks fell from the ceiling, pummelling everyone into quiet the state!"
"Thus occupied by calamity, we didn't hear the scalies sneakin' up on us, not that we could see well in the darkness after having dropped half of our torches!"

"I smashed a good few, and so did everyone else (Except poor Tobias) but they just overwhelmed us at that point. I must have hammered down ten of the things before takin' one too many blows and falling down, crushing another one with my mighty bulk."
"Not really sure what happened after that, I think the others might be dead? Last I knew I was thrown into some crude prison, waiting for one of the scalies to pass their strange judgement upon me. Except I think the judge was one of the ones I killed! hahaha."

"Anyway, a little help would be appreciated, if you can manage it, Mr. Astral Projection?"

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

how much do you think your life is worth?

Activate accountant skill.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do you know if the creatures are in league with anyone?

Please don't ask the worth question, or at least ask about family and friends instead. The latter can give us an idea of worth without being blatant.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do we have any idea what 'tiny lizards in a mine' might be? Are these creatures we have heard about before, or something new?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

"Where is here"

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Do the kobolds have a leader?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Storytime with Ragnar, continued

Nyaa posted:

how much do you think your life is worth?

Activate accountant skill.

Questions with can be construed as hostile or seem out of character will need a majority of votes to pass. You can however, ask this of yourself or your own knowledge.
You aren't in a state where you can really sit down and crunch numbers, and you know precious little about the man before you.

Your current pool of recruits, however well they have performed in your service, are, with the possible exceptions of Kvelar and Khami, not professional soldiers.
They expect a modest fee of [01 wealth] per month to risk their lives for you. How much more would a mercenary with years of experience be worth to a start-up company such as yourselves?
Someone trained in weapons, tactics and with a knowledge of some of the foes you might face?

If what he says is true, that is a question you must ask yourself, but if such a recruit where to turn up to your drives, you would expect him to command a higher base pay, at the very least.

hollylolly posted:

Do we have any idea what 'tiny lizards in a mine' might be? Are these creatures we have heard about before, or something new?

Going by his description alone, Kobolds are a fair guess. You don't know much about them, being an accountant.
"Fecund" "Clever" and "Annoying" are the three words that you have heard the most, describing their nature.

Wentley posted:

Do the kobolds have a leader?

RandomPauI posted:

Do you know if the creatures are in league with anyone?

"The one I fell on at the end there had some sort of wooden hat, but it broke much like its master.
I can't really understand much of their language, it's all hisses and tiny yelps! But from what I've gathered I think they are mostly fighting about who gets to be the next boss!"

"They seem to be running around a lot, but I must confess I haven't got much of a vantage point, being locked up like this!"

Nettle Soup posted:

"Where is here"

"The Silver Mines of Grüw of course, in some chamber or other, an old storage room I think. I can hear goats nearby sometimes, they keep them for food for the times when they aren't eating eachother."

---

You feel your crumbs running out. You have time for one more question or one more action.
What do you do?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
edit: I asked a question, but he already answered it above, nevermind.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm not close by, how long do you think you can hold out?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Let's see if we can interact with the world.
Ok Ragnor, I'm going to try something. I'll send word you're down here.

Try and muck about with the chains on him.

VV: Anyone who hasn't read Tuckers Kobolds should do so in preparation. http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/

Outrail fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 15, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Great. So we are dealing with Tucker's Kobolds.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Scout devious kobold traps and map the locale so that we'll be prepared when we eventually get here.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah don't just wander off, tell him we're coming back with help.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 15, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Stuck in a Kobold factory, send help!

“Hold tight.” You say. “Rescue is on it's way.”

He nods, smiling, as his sitting form slowly fades into his sleeping form. The tug of your cord increases, becomes irresistible. The last of your crumbs fall to the floor.
The damp sepia corridors of the mine blur before you, shifting into the red as you find yourself dragged back at incredible speeds towards Grüw.

You awake with a start, your head firmly planted on the hard-wood table (itself an artifact of better times), feeling woozy and exhausted. You fight back the urge to vomit. A mild feeling of dread permeating your form.
You look around you, a few more customers have trickled down into the tavern when you where out. They give you knowing, smirking glances as you come to. They too need drink to get through the working day.

You order some Bad Duck Rice™ and another piece of goat meat just to get some balance back in life whilst you wait for your crew to trickle down into the dining hall, to join you for the days Excitement.

The other group has failed. Yet the monsters of the mine where dealt a decisive blow, at least if your astral escapades are any indication. Now would seem a good time to strike, but there are also the Yetis to deal with.
You have much to consider. Perhaps first of all if you should tell your companions about what happened? The hostage situation is of course Important Tactical Information, but even you would question its veracity, had you not been the one to obtain it yourself.

1:
Do you tell your group about what happened? If so, what do you say?
Write-in.

2:
No matter what you say to them, you still have new information on which to act. As the leader of ITEC, you decide where the company goes and when, so it comes to you once more to pick your destination.

The Yetis live somewhere un between squares [b2 → b5 and c2 → c5]
You know [b4] to be the Silver Mines of Grüw.

Traversing a square takes one hour per height of row, meaning that going from D1 to D2 would take one hour, but going the same distance, F3 to F4 would take four hours in total. Climbing a row takes the longer period. Descending a row takes the shorter.
When you are ready to head out, the time is somewhen around ten in the morning.

Where do you go?
Write-in.

[ITEC Summary]
Morale is steady. The current mood is content.
Your crew is healthy and well fed. You feel woozy.
Your rations are well-stocked.
Your Owlbear cubs are adequately cared for.
Your have enough horses and supplies to cover most minor eventualities and to travel without penalties.
You have [00] bottles of FOOF remaining in your pack, with [05] back at headquarters.
You have [01] Ethereal RimRose Cupcakes remaining in your pack, with [09] back at headquarters.
Your equipment is lacking, putting one fighter out of commission, [Konnie] and leaving another without armour. [Abigail]
Konnie is not available right now, having been sent out on an errand.

You have [011 Wealth] to your name and owe [013 Wealth] in salaries and upkeep by the end of the month. The date is currently month 2, week three, day five meaning you have one week and two days until the deadline.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Do we have a listed reward for clearing the mines?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
On Earnings

Toughy posted:

Do we have a listed reward for clearing the mines?

The loss of an entire shipment of silver, never mind the workings of the silvermine as a whole, is a harsh blow to Grüw. A city whose economy rests squarely on its day to day operation. The situation is essentially a State of Emergency.
They want this dealt with ASAP, yet the Imperial Army has done nothing to help. So it goes to reason that whoever clears the mine of monster(s) would be 'well rewarded indeed'.
This is a pretty vague term, admittedly, but you can expect to earn even more than you did for finding Flopsy, if you pull through.

As a reminder, you obtained [07] wealth for finding the beast in question. The payout here could well be the double.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 16, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The yetis can wait, let's go invade the mine and punt some kobolds

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

1. "Guys, We're going to clear the mines. Those wierd gnomish cupcakes allowed me to scout out the place in an astral projection: Expect kobolds and traps everywhere

2. Head straight north, to the mines

How many torches, other sources of underground lighting do we have? Enough for an extended period underground?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
On expenses, continued

nothing to seehere posted:

How many torches, other sources of underground lighting do we have? Enough for an extended period underground?

Torches and other such basic adventuring gear are included in the monthly upkeep. That you had to purchase new ones here in Grüw is because you lost a significant portion of them in the Owlbear raid (including a horse, which was the biggest expense.)
Still, for now you have everything you need.

You have nothing more exotic than oil-lanterns and torches, though. Even your FOOF is back at headquarters, even if using it in the mine would probably collapse the whole thing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1. "Guys, We're going to clear the mines. Those wierd gnomish cupcakes allowed me to scout out the place in an astral projection: Expect kobolds and traps everywhere

Going with this + Mention there could be extra loot involved if we're lucky

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

do our kobold homework and get down there and make the money

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Toughy posted:

Yep. Also wistfully think about how great it would be if we had more foof.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Toughy posted:

Yes to both of these.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah let's go kill us some Kobolds.

We really ought to pick up our mate and get the dude a better knife before we go, just spend +3 or something to get him what he wants, it'll be worth it in the long term.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Mines first, then yetis. Maybe the kobolds had something to do with agitating the yetis.

Also yes, lets pick up Konnie first.