Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

happyhippy posted:

The first Aliens vs Predator game has a game mode that comes close.
Its called Survival, and you and your mates play Marines stuck in a bunker. And the objective is to survive for as long as possible against the AI Aliens.
gently caress it was amazing back in the day. Aliens could get through windows and there was so little room in the bunker itself, but if coordinated you could prevent them reaching you.

Oh, that was fantastic! We used to play that over 56k with buddies and loved it back in the day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dongattack posted:

i am still brought to tears on a daily basis because the warhamz 40k MMOFPS was cancelled and i was forced to waste my time with planetside 2 :negative:

Another cautionary tale of the dangers of founders, lifetime and pre-order 100$+ packs. Its a shame since the monetisation model of "Free2Orks" was a really nice idea.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Iglocska posted:

drat that looked good. 40k is just oozing with style.

Exactly. You can either love it or hate it, but you know 40K when you see it. And more importantly you can see when something distinctly isn't 40K because it doesn't fit with the already well established themes. The same can be said for most good universes. Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien, Battlestar Galactica, Mad Max, all of these universes have something about them that's distinct. The same goes for Elite and EVE. Star Citizen has none of that and it's entirely Chris's fault. The only defining feature about Star Citizen's art direction is how painfully derivative and generic it is. That's why every conversation starts with how something looks like something else (or looks like nothing at all). Unfortunately everything we've read says that CIG is so mismanaged that nobody really cares about the art assets anyway since they'll be pulled off to do something else six or seven times and even if they do finish something it will likely get un-approved later.

But hey, gently caress it. Glowy visors and pretty space jets. That's what's cool these days, right?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Warhammer seems really dumb and tryhard. Is it supposed to be a parody?

Originally yeah

It's super heavily influenced by Heavy Metal and 2000AD

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Tippis posted:

I need to replay AvP1 and 2. I seem to recall that they were pretty good (if you stayed away from the “P” portion), except for having somewhat unintuitive maps, even for their time.

By no means am I a super gamer, especially when it comes to FPS games, but drat I was good at playing the aliens in AvP2 multiplayer. In particular the predator alien who had some sort of powerful leap. I could leap across the board and pinpoint land on people's heads over and over like some kind of horrible giant bloodthirsty devil frog.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

Oh, that was fantastic! We used to play that over 56k with buddies and loved it back in the day!

Oh, I remember modem gaming. I used to call my friends' phones to make them disconnect when I was losing in Starcraft

Also my parents' rage over phone bills, and waiting half an hour for one mp3 to download

Ah, the halcyon days of my youth

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

It's basically everything a twelve year old would find awesome and is completely unashamed of it.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Tortolia posted:

I look forward to seeing the designs they put in The Expanse when they get to the second book. They already had some great looking Martian space marine armor in the show.

This is a post suggesting that folks in this thread might dig The Expanse, incidentally. It does Space Physics, Space Stations and Spaceships very well.

The books are very well done and well worth reading, and the show is doing a good job at following the books. The show should considering the show's producers are the writers of the books.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Back on the earlier announcement about Elite selling over 1.4m copies...

quote:

"As of 30th November 2015, Frontier had net cash of £8.6m. The company called it a "good financial position to support its continuing investment plans going forwards".
So Frontier has $12.4 million in the bank and did $15.7 million in revenue for the 6 month period ending 11/30/15. How weird is it going to be if/when Frontier ends up with more cash in reserve than Star Citizen in the near future?

Time Magazine even seemed surprised by Elite's success to date...

Also-- Frontier is slowing pushing their Thargoid narrative forward. Hope all this slow-motion foreshadowing has a badass payoff.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 14, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Iglocska posted:

What was wrong with the P portion? Slicing others in half with the disc was awesome.

It was even more unintuitive in its map design and had god mode. Having no sensible way to move ahead and no real enemies gets boring after a while.

G0RF posted:

So Frontier has $12.4 million in the bank and did $15.7 million in revenue for the 6 month period ending 11/30/15. How weird is it going to be if/when Frontier ends up with more cash in reserve than Star Citizen in the near future?

A well-run business with a reasonably popular product having a better cash position than an labyrinthine insane asylum of a movie-game-tax-dodge company with no product at all… doesn't seem all that weird.

e: Wtf is with my spelling today?!

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 14, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Back in the day there were very obviously parody characters, including a Margaret Thatcher ork

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

It used to be self aware and a bit goofy but all the people that understood that left and now it's just a competition about who can be the most grimdark and heavy metal and takes itself 100% seriously. Bad times.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Like maybe I'm just lame but to me all the designs look more goofy than badass.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Also Elite is a great game but it has a lot of rough edges and definitely requires you to 'create your own fun' since there is no personal story or anything. I'm glad it's sold so well. Unlike a certain other game , Elite actually seems to have a really strong foundation that they are building on.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 14, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

That was kind of the point, originally

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

someone shoot me a pm when something funny happens, thanks

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gilganixon posted:

eh sometimes you gotta fit down a corridor and it's a hassle to get a gundam down there

or maybe you're broke or you're too cheap to buy your guys the good stuff

i dunno

It's possible to do both...
Masamune Shirow's power armor, including the Landmate from Appleseed.

Kow Yokoyama's Maschinenkrieger ZbV 3000...

Studio Nue "Powered Suit" a.k.a. the thing they made before they got the license to do a Starship Troopers anime...

Most of these are about as armored as an IFV and mostly under 3 meters tall. The Maschinenkrieger and Studio Nue stuff was made to be space-borne as well as ground combat.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

I would think that for the typical Star Citizen backer, the concept of reproduction would be enough to break immersion.

First time that the in game animation is shorter than my real life experiences.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

WH40k, you're an immortal god warrior that can destroy entire planets by wagging your eyebrows. But then you're killed by a walking beercan with a bandsaw welded to the side.

It's a good universe.

A friend showed me a picture of the latest re-re-re-re-re-iteration of SC's marine armor and told me that the next Dead Space game had been announced. It hurt. It was a hurtful thing for him to do.

e; The walking beercan can walk because it looks like it should probably be able to walk. Ork science.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Literally The Worst posted:

Back in the day there were very obviously parody characters, including a Margaret Thatcher ork

gently caress you Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau is the pinnacle of art.

My point exactly. To you the 40K style looks goofy. To me it looks over the top and awesome. In contrast Star Citizen is just :geno:.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

star citizen is a crap name by the way

it should be named something cool

like Horizon Vacuum

or Heat Death

The neverending wishlist

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Warriors of the future are supposed to look like this.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My point exactly. To you the 40K style looks goofy. To me it looks over the top and awesome. In contrast Star Citizen is just :geno:.

Just you wait until iconic characters such as "Admiral Bishop" and "Old Man" enter the cultural lexicon.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

star citizen is a crap name by the way

it should be named something cool

like Horizon Vacuum

or Heat Death

Ask Chris Roberts ask if he'll rename Star Citizen in 10ftc and he'll promise to do so after the game has been released.

Which is probably true.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Tippis posted:

A well-run business with a reasonably popular product having a better cash position that an labyrinthine insane asylum of a movie-game-tax-dodge company with no product at all… doesn't seem all that weird.
I'm not so cynical that I still can't be staggered by the scale of squandered opportunity on display here. I hope I never am.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Young Freud posted:

It's possible to do both...
Masamune Shirow's power armor, including the Landmate from Appleseed.

Kow Yokoyama's Maschinenkrieger ZbV 3000...

Studio Nue "Powered Suit" a.k.a. the thing they made before they got the license to do a Starship Troopers anime...

Most of these are about as armored as an IFV and mostly under 3 meters tall. The Maschinenkrieger and Studio Nue stuff was made to be space-borne as well as ground combat.

that stuff sort of reminds me of the power armour from The Forever War:

but I was raised on Terminators and the Brotherhood of Steel so I like me some armoured suits.

E: but not the sq42 ones because those are sad and lame

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

G0RF posted:

I'm not so cynical that I still can't be staggered by the scale of squandered opportunity on display here. I hope I never am.

Cynicism is just reality on a finer scale.
Or was that paranoia? :v:

Ooh, now I have to re-watch that movie too.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Depend on who is writing for it. The early years are your regular space fantasy with some humour and parody element but the IP "mid life crisis" around its 3rd edition was a turn to full on grimderp, with things like rounding errors in a document causing the death of billions or loosing a hundred super tanks (each one the size of large houses) due to shipping errors.

The recent Games about have tried to be more just "Metal" and forget about things like the Penitent engine, Sisters repentina and Nemesis Dreadknight (A power armor for your power armor)

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

quote:

CIG felt that having more stretch goals would risk prolonging development time, and instead chose to focus on finishing the core game mechanics before adding more features to their plate
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40xwv3/been_out_of_the_loop_for_a_while_what_happened_to/cyxxz92

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

And it only took them $40 million in stretch goals to realize it!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

happyhippy posted:

The first Aliens vs Predator game has a game mode that comes close.
Its called Survival, and you and your mates play Marines stuck in a bunker. And the objective is to survive for as long as possible against the AI Aliens.
gently caress it was amazing back in the day. Aliens could get through windows and there was so little room in the bunker itself, but if coordinated you could prevent them reaching you.
Playing that mode with a regular pulse rifle made me better at other shooters because the aliens moved so quickly and could walk on walls and ceilings. Shooting slow dudes in Counter-Strike was pretty easy by comparison.

Alien Tag was also dope as hell.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dusty Lens posted:

Ask Chris Roberts ask if he'll rename Star Citizen in 10ftc and he'll promise to do so after the game has been released.

Which is probably true.
Dear Chairman,

I was wondering, will there be a so-called "prequel" of Squadron 42, starring the previous 41 Squadrons?

I need their lengthy stories told in detail for ~immersion~ also can I sex the fempilot and who else can i sex and do u hav pixx plz

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Warriors of the future are supposed to look like this.

Battletech? Battletech.

Everyone knows that if your battle armor doesn't come with a set of bitchin' built in speakers it's just not worth having

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 14, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sly Marbo

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

e: holy poo poo, go gently caress yourself My Internet.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Iglocska posted:

drat that looked good. 40k is just oozing with style.

The other funny thing to keep in mind is that the guy that did that short, Erasmus Brosdau, used to work for CIG. It was also done in Cryengine :v:

(He quit a while ago iirc though).

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

EightAce posted:

Lemmy, Bowie, Rickman .... True talent.
And yet Lesnick still waddles the earth. Proof that God doesn't exist

God is dead.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Elite Dangerous has announced that it has sold 1.4 million copies.

I hope Chris looses his poo poo over that.

Does anybody know how many copies of SC/SQ42 have been pre-sold?

iron buns posted:

Why go with a power armor at all when you could go with an awesome space mecha? None of those soft and easily shot parts, plenty of pew pew and dakka.

I would absolutely play a high fidelity CryEngine (StarEngine???) Space Gundam game.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

woah

Chris posted:

Starting with $66 million, I want to start focusing everyone on the level of detail and immersion that everyone’s support is enabling

it reads like a cry for help

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

mrking posted:

I would absolutely play a high fidelity CryEngine (StarEngine???) Space Gundam game.

It's not high-fidelity at all, but Strike Suit Zero was pretty dope if you're jonesing for some Macross Missile Massacre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gilganixon posted:

that stuff sort of reminds me of the power armour from The Forever War:

Where's this from? I'm familiar with The Forever War, but the only designs I remember was the spacesuit from the dutch comic adaptation.

It's a nice touch to have the fragile heating fins clearly visible.

They haven't changed a bit since there's a whole series of adventures involving a pirate captain named Haarlock.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 14, 2016

• Locked thread