Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

the game is hard-coded so as not to create a fire that burns down the whole game world.

I know you just said "hard-coded" but now all I want is a mod that changes this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I know you just said "hard-coded" but now all I want is a mod that changes this
The sad thing is that in development it wasn't, so in theory it's possible. Sadly, by all accounts the game's internals are just a hot mess.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

anilEhilated posted:

e: Oh, right, forgot why I came here. Endless Legend is kicking my rear end. I've read what's on the wiki here but I mostly got issues with combat, especially judging what I can and can't take on - my starting army of a hero/2 (usually) archers can usually wipe out a village and then get obliterated by the first wandering army it runs into. I know units heal slowly over time, but is there a way to make them rest faster? Just how much of an army (compared to focusing on sim city'ing) do I need to stay in the game?
I've played a ton of Civ 5 and GalCiv 2 but the early game seems to be much more cutthroat here - what are some early priorities, buildings/army size I should be aiming for?

Healing I think can be sped up by spending turns in areas you control and is faster on city tiles but I'm not sure. Broken Lords are slightly different; they don't heal over time but you can spend Dust to heal them back up.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Anyone have any newbie tips for Vernintide?

Get good at blocking, dodging, and effectively using power attacks. Having a lock on those skills makes dealing with nasty enemies - especially roger the rat ogre - much easier. In general, avoid taking unnecessary damage whenever possible.

The biggest trick I can think of is for health draughts (the healing potions). At first glance they appear to be strictly worse than medkits, but there's a trick to them that can make them equivalent - drinking one turns all the grey "temporary" health you get after being downed and then picked back up into regular health. If you drink one immediately after being downed you'll be at 80% HP, which is the same as medkits heal you for. This is especially useful as the bright wizard who can kill herself on command by overheating her fire magic.

anilEhilated posted:

e: Oh, right, forgot why I came here. Endless Legend is kicking my rear end. I've read what's on the wiki here but I mostly got issues with combat, especially judging what I can and can't take on - my starting army of a hero/2 (usually) archers can usually wipe out a village and then get obliterated by the first wandering army it runs into. I know units heal slowly over time, but is there a way to make them rest faster? Just how much of an army (compared to focusing on sim city'ing) do I need to stay in the game?
I've played a ton of Civ 5 and GalCiv 2 but the early game seems to be much more cutthroat here - what are some early priorities, buildings/army size I should be aiming for?

For the early game, it depends heavily on what faction you are. Necrophages can do pretty well with just their starting army, but Cultists and Wild Walkers might want to build an extra unit or two early on. You can also go into the unit options and tweak your units equipment - even without any armor/weapon techs you can give your units iron armor and maybe swap their weapon choices.

Something to keep in mind: Heroes attached to an army are functionally immortal as long as at least one unit other than themselves is alive at end of combat. If your combat hero gets killed but something else is alive, next turn he'll be up and kicking again. The hero will only actually "die" (and be sent back to the academy to be reassigned, you won't lose them) if the army they're attached to is completely wiped out. This can be very useful if the terrain in the combat area has a chokepoint and your non-hero units are archers - stick the hero in the chokepoint, have the archers behind them shooting. Even if you 'lose' the hero you haven't lost the other units and the hero comes back afterwards.

For expansion, keep an eye on when the civilization plan is coming up and if you're expanding try to have a settler ready to found a city immediately after you get one, as the cost increases whenever you found a city but you keep the same plan even if new cities would make your current plan too expensive for you. Always try to found your second city as soon after turn 20 as possible.

Also one of the first techs you should research is the one for the mill foundry, and early on all your citizens should probably be on industry production.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 14, 2016

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Goofballs posted:

I never modded the game but if you find one to turn down patrol respawns a bit that would be ideal. Its the major thing dragging the game down because you go through the same areas regularly and five minutes after you wipe out a checkpoint area they're back again.

The game doesn't bother mentioning it to you that much but there is limited fast travel from the central town areas. You go up to the bus stop and hit the corner of the map you want to go to. I'd recommend making use of that. The combat in the game is really fun but like if you take every fight the game offers you its going to take a million years to get anything done. The cars handle cross country pretty well so a lot of the time you can drive around some fights. You also get molested less by the mobs in a boat if I recall correctly.

This is very correct - it didn't take long for me to go almost entirely to water travel in the game. The roads are just too packed with endlessly respawning mooks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I did this and got systematically dismantled by a yeti :( This game has a great combat system but I am really not used to how it controls yet.

anilEhilated posted:

That yeti is actually a bit of a dick move. He's an optional boss that will eventually move away - you can come back and fight him any time (IIRC) before you depart for the town to the left. If you let him change location, he'll be in a later area and you'll lose access to one shop. It's better to kill him early because he drops an item that's used to make a weapon, but it's best to wait a couple levels.

Yeti is indeed a dick move, but he's actually doable immediately, even on hard. The core of Valdis Story's boss fights is pattern and telegraph recognition, so practice for those S-ranks, son. There's a quick restart fight option on the menu when you fight bosses that they put in just for this reason.

Fair warning: if that's not your poo poo, Valdis Story may also, in fact, not be your poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kenny Logins posted:

The sad thing is that in development it wasn't, so in theory it's possible. Sadly, by all accounts the game's internals are just a hot mess.

And what's really sad is that Farcry 3 and 4 have even less fire burning than FC2.

So much for modern technology!

I can understand not letting you burn the entire game map down, but even in FC2 the idea was you could use fire as like area denial, but it never seemed to last long enough to be great for that. I wanna throw down big walls of fire that burn for a couple minutes at least.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

Yeti is indeed a dick move, but he's actually doable immediately, even on hard. The core of Valdis Story's boss fights is pattern and telegraph recognition, so practice for those S-ranks, son. There's a quick restart fight option on the menu when you fight bosses that they put in just for this reason.

Fair warning: if that's not your poo poo, Valdis Story may also, in fact, not be your poo poo.
Eh, it's not my poo poo, I never S-ranked a boss in that game and still enjoyed it immensely.

Anyhow, thanks for the Endless Legend advice - to expand a bit, since the factions seem vastly different: I tried out the Wild Walkers and Vaulters (on hearing these two play the most civ-like) and didn't really like either, now I'm eyeballing the giant lizards. Any tips for those?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I just resigned myself to not S-ranking anything on my first runthrough, since I'm still familiarizing myself with the game (and also because I'm running a magic build Wyatt which, uh...is kinda Not Very Good so far). Mostly I'm able to get A ranks after a few restarts--I didn't realize you could quit to the main menu and then retry the fight, that was not at all obvious--though a few bosses have taken more than "a few" restarts. (HORRIBLE loving POISON rear end in a top hat AAAAAGH)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh yeah that poison one is just so mean. You literally have a split second window to cancel the spore attack, and if you hit too early, it also doesn't count :shepicide:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Ok thread, what should I know/has anyone got any tips for Hard West? Thank you in advance.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Ok thread, what should I know/has anyone got any tips for Hard West? Thank you in advance.

Don't play on Iron Man. It serves no purpose except to randomly flush hours of progress down the pan by making you restart campaigns.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Chibi Robo (GameCube)?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kenny Logins posted:

I don't think there are any mods because the codebase is a mess.

There are actually some mods despite that. Though there doesn't seem to be a vanilla "fan patch" amongst them.

The big one that gets brought up a lot is Dylan's Mod which from what I can tell (and have heard of) it kind of cranks up the FarCry 2-ness and turns the game into something closer to the Stalker games. It (along with a handful of similar mods) does reduce some of the bullshit with the checkpoints, but it also comes with much more realistic combat and a greater emphasis on stealth tactics. Sounds great if you're into that sort of thing, but if you're not...

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

anilEhilated posted:

Eh, it's not my poo poo, I never S-ranked a boss in that game and still enjoyed it immensely.

Anyhow, thanks for the Endless Legend advice - to expand a bit, since the factions seem vastly different: I tried out the Wild Walkers and Vaulters (on hearing these two play the most civ-like) and didn't really like either, now I'm eyeballing the giant lizards. Any tips for those?

Walkers and the Vaulters are probably closest to Civ, yes. Two more things:

1. For Vaulters, the way they word the stuff about the 'holy resource' (one strategic resource you can use like a luxury) makes it sound like once you pick it you're stuck with it. This is not the case, you can only have one running at a time but once it's done you can switch to whatever you like.

2. Laying out districts in cities to maximize level bonuses is critical for expansion. Whenever you're building a district it comes with a -5 approval (happiness) penalty; the most obvious thing to do with districts is to snake out your city and grab all the anomalies, but that's dumb. What you want to do is build small concentrated cities; if a district has at least 4 of the 6 spaces around it containing other districts it'll evolve, which increases all its yields and turns the -5 approval into +10. The best city designs with that in mind are either a 2-wide "stick" or a triangle.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

President Ark posted:

2. Laying out districts in cities to maximize level bonuses is critical for expansion. Whenever you're building a district it comes with a -5 approval (happiness) penalty; the most obvious thing to do with districts is to snake out your city and grab all the anomalies, but that's dumb. What you want to do is build small concentrated cities; if a district has at least 4 of the 6 spaces around it containing other districts it'll evolve, which increases all its yields and turns the -5 approval into +10. The best city designs with that in mind are either a 2-wide "stick" or a triangle.

While the approval penalty can stack up pretty quickly it can also be pretty readily fixed with luxury resources and an approval building or two. Of course you need to be producing enough luxuries to refresh them each time they run out but it's something to consider if you do want to snake a city out a bit. You're advice still stands though. Also very good to do with the legendary buildings one of the expansions introduced as it doubles their already very good bonus.

As for the lizards your shtick is diplomacy so try focusing on the techs that generate that and force everyone into binding agreements to not attack you and whatnot.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Diablo 3?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Press Space to skip dialogue

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone explain the math behind stats in GTA V to me?

edit: Specifically things like what the hell does the driving stat do.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 15, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Get the expansion if you don't have it, play seasons with goons, get lots of shiny loot and get mad when it's not shiny enough.

And stick an emerald in your weapon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

There's two monster posts on Diablo 3 just 2 pages back, one by myself. I'd quote them but they're huge so you can just hit the back button twice :)

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

There's two monster posts on Diablo 3 just 2 pages back, one by myself. I'd quote them but they're huge so you can just hit the back button twice :)

:blush:

Thanks!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Overminty posted:

While the approval penalty can stack up pretty quickly it can also be pretty readily fixed with luxury resources and an approval building or two. Of course you need to be producing enough luxuries to refresh them each time they run out but it's something to consider if you do want to snake a city out a bit. You're advice still stands though. Also very good to do with the legendary buildings one of the expansions introduced as it doubles their already very good bonus.

As for the lizards your shtick is diplomacy so try focusing on the techs that generate that and force everyone into binding agreements to not attack you and whatnot.

Some anomalies also provide a happiness bonus so can be worth expanding to ( or settling near)

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Quick question regarding Persona 4:

I'm in the second dungeon and I'm running into a lot of enemies that aren't weak to any of the 4 basic elements or physical. Should I be having light/dark already or am I just unlucky?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Chibi Robo (GameCube)?

its been too long for me to remember anything specific but have fun its such a cute game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Foxhound posted:

I'm in the second dungeon and I'm running into a lot of enemies that aren't weak to any of the 4 basic elements or physical. Should I be having light/dark already or am I just unlucky?

You could have light/dark death spells by that point but it's all based on the kind of persona you're building. I wouldn't stress over it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

al-azad posted:

You could have light/dark death spells by that point but it's all based on the kind of persona you're building. I wouldn't stress over it.
To supplement this: Instant death spells are a mixed blessing. Yeah, if an enemy's weak to them, it can save you some resources, but they cost a fuckton of SP, and bosses are always immune to them (or even bounce them back).

This is the primary reason why it's an uphill battle to use a party member you'll get later who specializes in them. Not impossible, but not worth it unless you really like the character.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

To supplement this: Instant death spells are a mixed blessing. Yeah, if an enemy's weak to them, it can save you some resources, but they cost a fuckton of SP, and bosses are always immune to them (or even bounce them back).

This is the primary reason why it's an uphill battle to use a party member you'll get later who specializes in them. Not impossible, but not worth it unless you really like the character.

You should totally always use said character though because they're the only other character with the megi line and nothing is strong against that.

In fact, pray for a fusion accident because you'll probably get Decarabia 20 levels early and he's amazing. And by then every other shuffle time will have the skill upgrade card.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That's fair. Nothing says "gently caress this random encounter" quite like two Megidolaons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Foxhound posted:

Just a side-note to be aware of, Chie's gonna stop learning Ice spells past Bufula and start picking up straight Phys moves instead. You'll get a replacement ice-caster around the time it happens though, but Chie's worth keeping for just straight king-hitting poo poo all the way into endgame.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Chie's super crit kill move is also the best in the game just for entertainment value.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Foxhound posted:

Don't forget ailment skills! If an enemy isn't weak to anything else, it's probably vulnerable to status effects. Yosuke learns Tenterafoo, which confuses all enemies. If you manage to fuse anything that has fear attacks, those are good too.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just a side-note to be aware of, Chie's gonna stop learning Ice spells past Bufula and start picking up straight Phys moves instead. You'll get a replacement ice-caster around the time it happens though, but Chie's worth keeping for just straight king-hitting poo poo all the way into endgame.

If you're playing Golden, I think she only gets the first two ice skills, they tossed Bufula/Ice Boost for some passive physical skills.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 16, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

YggiDee posted:

Don't forget ailment skills! If an enemy isn't weak to anything else, it's probably vulnerable to status effects. Yosuke learns Tenterafoo, which confuses all enemies. If you manage to fuse anything that has fear attacks, those are good too.

Yosuke's worth holding onto rather than who you get in the second dungeon, just because it's much easier to get Persona with Electrical spells than it is to get Wind ones. Plus he's got a great range of invaluable secondary skills like Dekunda and Dekaja

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I'm trying to play XCOM: Enemy Unknown again. What kind of tech/weapons should I be building first? I seem to always mess up my research order and work myself into a corner.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Foxhound posted:

Bribed Fuzz, Tranquil Idol, and Pursuing Pesce are weak to instant death, the first two to dark and the Pesce to light. Thing is, the character that gets instant death is the last one to join.

Nizam Beasts, Wonderous Magi, and Grave Beetles just do not have weaknesses, full stop.

Hama and Mudo should have appeared in a few places by now: the level 17 Hermit persona Ippon-Datara starts with Mudo, for example. The problem with instant death spells is that they're unreliable as heck actually. Even with a weakness Mudo can still miss, and it's a while until you can get Mamudoon and Mahamaon with their boosts, and even then they're still SP-intensive.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Plan Z posted:

I'm trying to play XCOM: Enemy Unknown again. What kind of tech/weapons should I be building first? I seem to always mess up my research order and work myself into a corner.

A lot of your build order super sperg strats are dependent on your base layout and starting country but if you're playing unknown (vanilla) and not within (exp) you have less stuff to worry about.

Standard stuff that applies to either is like this: no steam on 1st or 2nd level or in the 4th farthest slot = restart. Try to use as few explosives as possible first 3 months. Your priorities otherwise are extra satellite the 1st month (make sure to move one of your 2 ships to it as well. Second month build satellite array and try for 2 more. Third month should be hydroplant (getting lucky with drops can let you do it on second month, you can sell most alien bodies since they're not as immediately important as in the expansion. Research wise I don't recall the exact order but you'll want to finish up getting carapace armor and laser weapons before the end of the third month or you risk facing chrysalid invasion mission in default stuff which is basically a free wipe on all your dudes so far and a really ugly setback. If you get past that you've got the momentum to get through the rest of the game, provided you get the next tier of stuff before the third enemy set rolls in 8~ months in IIRC.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Vahlen posted:

Try to use as few explosives as possible first 3 months.

This is quite wrong for rookies. Getting characters leveled up is really important, and grenades are the best way to do that early game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GuavaMoment posted:

This is quite wrong for rookies. Getting characters leveled up is really important, and grenades are the best way to do that early game.

Except that they destroy salvagable gear, so don't do it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Having dudes rank up into actual classes is more important than salvaging an alien weapon or two, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It's far more important to get a decent roster of characters with skills than it is to collect the early salvageable gear. Your soldiers are fragile enough at the beginning of the game that going AWOL with grenades is a really good strategy that will save you a lot of frustration. Later on you should try and use them more to weaken enemies than kill them, but resources are not quite sparse enough that you should be sacrificing soldiers or taking hits just to keep from blowing enemies up.

As far as research goes, I generally tend to go for armor first because getting out of the default armor massively increases your survival rate. But it's also perfectly viable to go straight for laser weapons as well, just don't really bother with autopsy reports at first unless you have the South America nation bonus. Don't beeline for the alien capture stuff either despite the game really pushing it, capturing aliens can be tricky and you want to make your soldiers a fair bit more survivable than they start before doing that.

Other than that you want to build an Officer Training School as soon as possible as it has some great bonuses, and do make sure you start with some steam vents because they really do help.