Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

The secret to Frontier's success: empty cockpits.

But you are not you controlling your space man who's controlling a joystick controlling a spaceship. Unless free will is an illusion then your space man is controlling you controlling your joystick controlling a spaceship oh god i'm having an existential crisis :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Variable 5 posted:

Working stylesheets are a Platinum 2.0 feature. You should look at upgrading.

Yeah, I dunno. I'm not sure that I'm ready to throw my wallet at the screen for just Platinum 2.0

Now if it came with LTI and a special badge, or even some physical goods like some kind of "You're a loving idiot" usb stick or a model of the burrito my money just bought Lowtax, THEN I might be interested.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was talking to my old-school business owner dad about Star Citizen's pricing model. He thought it was pretty smart as a psychological tactic. His company was discussing whether to raise how much they charge for services, with one option being to have a tiered model (from most to least expensive) with the idea to steer clients into the middle option.

He gave some examples from other businesses. The basic idea is that introducing an item at a very high price (like the complete Star Citizen $10k package) will greatly expand those who buy the mid-tier price items of a few hundred dollars. Cable companies pull rackets like this all the time. Most department stores have tiered choices like this, instead of only one of a particular item.

It's not a particularly original observation. But something about how to the human brain works. Most people who would not pay for a ship package costing several hundred (or low thousand) if that was all that was offered would be far more likely to if a high-price ($10k+) package was also available. And some people would pay for the high-price package, too.

Even if it's a total scam, the human brain is primed to look at the mid-tier package (which used to be prohibitive) as a "good deal."

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

KiddieGrinder posted:

It's especially funny that Crobberts thinks he's such an artiste that he couldn't simply let players look where they wanted to look during cutscenes, oh no that doesn't fit the vision. He's got such exciting revolutionary mind blowing photography and editing skills that you have to experience it the way it's meant to be experienced.

I mean just look at the amazing camera work in the :yarg: cutscene, you couldn't get that sense of actually being there and experience all those emotions and get goosebumps from the brilliantly written speech if you were allowed to just look around freely. Crobberts took you by the hand and guided you through his dream, his vision, he gave you a taste of his brilliance. :allears:

Looks like we are heading into the "Press [F] to pay respects" storytelling territory. That thing is going to be so generic and 90's it might as well be delivered in a bland yellow box.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

G0RF posted:

The USPTO.gov site is total shiite and direct links are a hassle because sessions expire but here's the registered mark search output for their live trademark...

... and their as-yet-unsecured expanded class of goods filing...

Oh, I was talking about stuff like Arena Commander, Star Marine, etc.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Omi-Polari posted:

I was talking to my old-school business owner dad about Star Citizen's pricing model. He thought it was pretty smart as a psychological tactic. His company was discussing whether to raise how much they charge for services, with one option being to have a tiered model (from most to least expensive) with the idea to steer clients into the middle option.

He gave some examples from other businesses. The basic idea is that introducing an item at a very high price (like the complete Star Citizen $10k package) will greatly expand those who buy the mid-tier price items of a few hundred dollars. Cable companies pull rackets like this all the time. Most department stores have tiered choices like this, instead of only one of a particular item.

It's not a particularly original observation. But something about how to the human brain works. Most people who would not pay for a ship package costing several hundred (or low thousand) if that was all that was offered would be far more likely to if a high-price ($10k+) package was also available. And some people would pay for the high-price package, too.

Even if it's a total scam, the human brain is primed to look at the mid-tier package (which used to be prohibitive) as a "good deal."

It creates a distortion of the total perceived value while allowing whales to blow a ton of money. If SC can somehow be 'valued' at 10k, then $100 seems reasonable and in our minds, practically a steal compared to $10,000.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

G0RF posted:

... and their as-yet-unsecured expanded class of goods filing...

Star Citizen roller skates confirmed.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, I dunno. I'm not sure that I'm ready to throw my wallet at the screen for just Platinum 2.0

Now if it came with LTI and a special badge, or even some physical goods like some kind of "You're a loving idiot" usb stick or a model of the burrito my money just bought Lowtax, THEN I might be interested.

Also, replacing the screen or repairing the dents costs almost as much as a Star Citizen ship. Got to be careful with those incidental costs.

KiddieGrinder posted:

It's especially funny that Crobberts thinks he's such an artiste that he couldn't simply let players look where they wanted to look during cutscenes, oh no that doesn't fit the vision. He's got such exciting revolutionary mind blowing photography and editing skills that you have to experience it the way it's meant to be experienced.

I mean just look at the amazing camera work in the :yarg: cutscene, you couldn't get that sense of actually being there and experience all those emotions and get goosebumps from the brilliantly written speech if you were allowed to just look around freely. Crobberts took you by the hand and guided you through his dream, his vision, he gave you a taste of his brilliance. :allears:
Yeah, that WH40k fan film from earlier is such a neat example (and contrast) of how you can use camera motion and actor theatrics to convey emotional content — all of which CRobber's direction fails to include or deliver on. Never mind the poor writing or the waste of a talented actor — he simply does not understand the visual medium.

I kind of wonder if and how much the experienced actors were questioning whatever instructions they were given. I can't imagine that they'd just stand there and do nothing, and not actually tell CRobber that it didn't seem right. So did they just shut up and take the money, or were their crazy vision-destroying ideas of imbuing the characters with some spirit shot down by his controlling impulses, or what?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 14, 2016

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Sarsapariller posted:

Those must be old pictures, because with the current debug camera you can see your pilot in the seat.

Other seats in the ship are still empty though.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah but that's hanging soon with multi crew and customizable avatars.

You just know that will piss the hell out of Chris. He's likely tasked the same group that did the PG video to generate a video of a prototype of their character creation tool-- with high-fidelity polycounts that will set your hair on fire. And your GPU.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
i like how in the letter of written by an ex-employee specifically states that Chris would constantly make changes to art assets by comparing them to other games

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Sarsapariller posted:

Ya that was funny for a while, they fixed it a while ago.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

LuiCypher posted:

It creates a distortion of the total perceived value while allowing whales to blow a ton of money. If SC can somehow be 'valued' at 10k, then $100 seems reasonable and in our minds, practically a steal compared to $10,000.

I think the caveat to add here is that these whales are deranged to begin with.

I, for instance, would not use that sort of logic because I have a functioning non-autistic brain.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

LuiCypher posted:

that doesn't even make sense

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Agrajag posted:

that doesn't even make sense

Welcome to modern retail pricing.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

Oh, I was talking about stuff like Arena Commander, Star Marine, etc.
Whoops- sorry, yes, those might not be filed yet, though they'll have the "first in use" claim to secure Arena Commander at least. Star Marine, well, it isn't really a discreet thing-- just a dumb couplet used to describe a former game module.

And whoops, the domain name redirects here and has been registered since 1999. That trademark may be a harder get, if CIG decides they want it.

Wait, just checked USPTO.GOV...

Looks like they're too late!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

illectro posted:

Those must be old pictures, because with the current debug camera you can see your pilot in the seat.

Other seats in the ship are still empty though.

1500 posted:

No sense of humor on you guys, I swear.

The important thing is that they didn't delay their whole game modeling and remodeling stupid flight suits- they pushed out what mattered and then added little details later.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Tippis posted:

Welcome to modern retail pricing.

it doesnt make sense in the context of the pricing of SC jpegs and what the general market price for other (real) games are

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

G0RF posted:

Whoops- sorry, yes, those might not be filed yet, though they'll have the "first in use" claim to secure Arena Commander at least. Star Marine, well, it isn't really a discreet thing-- just a dumb couplet used to describe a former game module.

And whoops, the domain name redirects here and has been registered since 1999. That trademark may be a harder get, if CIG decides they want it.

Wait, just checked USPTO.GOV...

Looks like they're too late!

:laffo:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

The important thing is that they didn't delay their whole game modeling and remodeling stupid flight suits- they pushed out what mattered and then added little details later.

If only they would have added gameplay and fun instead...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Agrajag posted:

it doesnt make sense in the context of the pricing of SC jpegs and what the general market price for other (real) games are

Tell that to the whales who keep falling for it. :D

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

It was even more unintuitive in its map design and had god mode. Having no sensible way to move ahead and no real enemies gets boring after a while.

A well-run business with a reasonably popular product having a better cash position than an labyrinthine insane asylum of a movie-game-tax-dodge company with no product at all… doesn't seem all that weird.

e: Wtf is with my spelling today?!

One of the things that Frontier has done very well since their start was to design a clear path of development and put competent project managers in place to keep things moving along and within scope. From what I've read (and it's general good PM practice in all industry), if people come up with other ways to expand game play or to improve/add features, they take it under consideration for future development and continue on with the scope as is. Now we are starting to see a lot of these ideas that have come up during development start to get their own paths on the development tree and slowly coming to fruition, without slowing the core development of the game.

Compare and contrast that with SC and CRoberts - someone has an idea, Roberts make it his own and it's promised to the community without any movement on the development path. This actually slows down development because you have made the entire pathway completely vague and overfilled with vanity items and other features that just simply won't work in any context.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Colostomy Bag posted:

Solid conjecture about hosting costs.

I just wanna point something out here. Here's a Chris Roberts quote from November 2014 re Arena Commander server costs:

quote:

For the record we currently spend north of $80K a month on a combination of our servers and CDN (Content Delivery Network). This is all for early testing - it costs money for everyone to download the patches (yes we're working on making them smaller) and to have servers running 24/7. This doesn't include the Live Ops cost of people that maintain this - currently we have a 6 person team that focuses on this (this doesn't include the web team of Turbulent BTW). -Chris Roberts
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3818197/#Comment_3818197

Again, this was just for Arena Commander, in 2014. What do you think they're spending on AC + SM + Alpha 2.0 servers these days, considering they can't get past their inability to netcode and simply throw more servers at scalability problems?

Now imagine what the full game will cost per month.

Oh, hi pay to win!

Toops fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 14, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

YOUTUBE: "Around the Verse - Episode 2.14"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So they're showing off jpegs of a ship that was shown off a long time ago. Such development.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

god they have weaponized boredom

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Is Sandi "acting" in this intro, or is it me? Because she sounds like a floating wood block clomping against the pier.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

21 minutes of this video is a jpg commercial. Nice.

Edit : I feel bad for those guys, they sound so bored and defeated.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lime Tonics posted:

21 minutes of this video is a jpg commercial. Nice.

Edit : I feel bad for those guys, they sound so bored and defeated.

Serves them right, they had a perfect opportunity to do a door retrospective. What are doors? Do we need them? Are they high fidelity? What other uses are there for doors?

Curtains: more convenient than doors, or heresy?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Wait wait wait wait wait... Adidas tracksuits... in SPACE? This means that space is going to be colonized by Russians.

Sarsapariller posted:

It's almost like Frontier is a company that's run well or something. David Braben is Derek Smart! Derek Smart is David Braben! IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY! :tinfoil:

But seriously, Elite isn't perfect by any means (though I love it regardless), but, as a project, it has undeniably been run quite well.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 14, 2016

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Agrajag posted:

Space-sim games are a niche, 'underserved' market riven with nostalgia. Kickstarter proved that there are people out there willing to pay way, way more than the nominal retail price of your average game these days by catering to niche markets and capitalizing on nostalgia. Crobber basically marketed SC as "I'm the father of the genre, I know what you want, and I'm going to do everything better than the other guys because I'm Chris Roberts and I'm the father of the genre. Nobody knows it like I do! I can deliver your dream game. But I can't do it without as much money as humanly possible, so please give that to me."

Yes, it's a tautology. Deliberately. It reminds me more of Christian preachers asking for 'seed money', the idea that you will send your money off ahead and it will magically return to you 10x-1000x more than your initial 'investment'.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

well that's a real good use of everyone's time

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

woah dude you need beer

I read the first paragraph, skipped over the third, then skimmed down to the part where it read "Cinematics" and read through that because clearly that's the most important part. I tell ya, getting banned has absolutely nuked my tolerance for their poo poo. It's wonderful.

Omi-Polari posted:

On top of that they specifically keep things as subjective and indistinct as possible so that people will fill in the blanks with their own idealized vision of how the game will be. I think it's the combination that's killer. The prices hook you in by established a skewed perception of value, and your brain struggles to justify it. Then Chris goes on and on about dreams and immersion and all the other bullshit he spouts and suddenly your brain has something to latch on to justify the expense. That's why when I first saw this game I thought it would be an awesome EVE-like opportunity for us to royally gently caress with pubbies. The best part is that once that baseline is established your brain actively fights against new information that will damage the reality its set, particularly when the sunk cost fallacy has deeply embedded your own personal valuation into things. A normal person reads Chris's rant and thinks "holy poo poo this company is run by idiots who will waste an entire day on frivolous bullshit!" Backers read that rant and think "Derek Smart is our enemy and he's going to ruin the game if we don't stop him!" It's amazing, and Sandi couldn't be prouder of her achievement.

Of course there's minor detail of actually having to release something that meets those expectations, but I'm sure they've considered that and are fully prepared to deliver on everything that was promised.

1500 posted:

Look at that poo poo game design with all that visibility. What the gently caress is wrong with Elite? Don't they know that limited visibility is fantastic for what the ship is?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

Tell that to the whales who keep falling for it. :D
I don't care enough to delve that deeply into it, but yeah. Google "Star Citizen" and "bargain" and you'll see whales argue that $350 for a JPEG is a bargain compared to other, more expensive ones. (Now is the time to buy!) It's perhaps less an outright scam than a racket; since they just pegged certain items at ridiculously high prices to sucker people into paying horribly inflated "bargain" prices for the other things.

An example would be a retail store that has a shelf selling a really expensive coffee machine. They do inventory at the end of the year, and realize that no customers bought any. The next year, they add a still-overpriced but comparatively less expensive coffee machine, and suddenly the new model is the best-selling item in the store. Customers are still overspending, but their brains were primed to do it because they saw a choice.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 14, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gonkish posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait... Adidas tracksuits... in SPACE? This means that space is going to be colonized by Russians.

Was there ever any doubt? Do you even know anything about scifi? :smuggo:
Space Russians win at everything, at least in the CoDominium universe.

LuiCypher posted:

Space-sim games are a niche, 'underserved' market riven with nostalgia. Kickstarter proved that there are people out there willing to pay way, way more than the nominal retail price of your average game these days by catering to niche markets and capitalizing on nostalgia. Crobber basically marketed SC as "I'm the father of the genre, I know what you want, and I'm going to do everything better than the other guys because I'm Chris Roberts and I'm the father of the genre. Nobody knows it like I do! I can deliver your dream game. But I can't do it without as much money as humanly possible, so please give that to me."

Yes, it's a tautology. Deliberately. It reminds me more of Christian preachers asking for 'seed money', the idea that you will send your money off ahead and it will magically return to you 10x-1000x more than your initial 'investment'.

This is a very good description of what's going on and why. I'm going to steal it the next time the issue comes up.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I read the first paragraph, skipped over the third, then skimmed down to the part where it read "Cinematics" and read through that because clearly that's the most important part. I tell ya, getting banned has absolutely nuked my tolerance for their poo poo. It's wonderful.

Yeah that sounded snarky, sorry about that

I maintain that immersing oneself in the 'verse requires an equal immersion in beer though

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i love waking up and seeing another 300 posts of SC hate and warhammer 40k universe adoration in this thread

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Man, CIG really does love the idea of quantity over quality don't they?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are they calling it Episode 2.14?

Is it the 2nd season for a show that literally is to just talking about the development (I know, I know) of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

duck monster posted:

Rebel galaxy is the best space truck game, because you can shoot cunts while listening to country music in space

It's got some issues, but I've really enjoyed just cruising around the universe trading goods and blowing the crap out of people who want to take said goods.

• Locked thread