Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Speaking of lids, what do you guys recommend for an Anova One circulator with a cambro? I've been using plastic wrap but it's sort of a pain and unsightly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Speaking of lids, what do you guys recommend for an Anova One circulator with a cambro? I've been using plastic wrap but it's sort of a pain and unsightly!

Get the lid for that particular cambro and dremel it

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

a foolish pianist posted:

If your container isn't covered, it's going to take a long time to get to high temps and a lot of energy to keep the water there. I use a cooler with a corner of the lid cut out for mine, and it works great, but in an open metal container, it's rather less great.

I just put some aluminum foil around my pot. Now the temp is nearly 167F and not going back down. I am failing at what is supposed to be the easiest method of cooking. :ohdear:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This dremel thingamajigger is distressingly expensive!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

This dremel thingamajigger is distressingly expensive!

Sorry I thought everyone owned a dremel. They probably should.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

If you get the white lid, it's soft enough that you can cut it with strong scissors. The sorta-clear lids are a slightly more brittle plastic that might shard in weird ways if you scissor it.

edit: me, being me, I want the clear lid so I waited until the dremel dropped in price on Amazon and now I'm waiting for it to arrive

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DARPA Dad posted:

Is my Anova faulty? Started with roughly 110F water, been waiting nearly an hour for it to get to 165F. It's 163F now so I only have a little bit longer to go, but then I still have an hour of cooking in front of me. I know the Anova One heats faster but this isn't normal, right? I don't have any windows open or other ways for super cold air to get into the room.

How much water?

Steve Yun posted:

If you get the white lid, it's soft enough that you can cut it with strong scissors. The sorta-clear lids are a slightly more brittle plastic that might shard in weird ways if you scissor it.

I cut the clear one with strong scissors, worked ok. I just did a square cut, though, nothing fancy.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

How much water?

Less water takes less time to heat, right? So I filled it up less than halfway to the max water line. I'd add more water if I were cooking, say, short ribs but I don't think chicken would give the water enough time to evaporate. I didn't measure exactly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mean, how big is the container? Heating a bathtub to the max line will take longer than if you have the circulator in a gallon pot.

Given the amount of water and how quickly it heated up, you can figure out if the unit is heating as quickly as it's supposed to.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Sorry I thought everyone owned a dremel. They probably should.
Dremel, RotoZip, die grinder, angle grinder, Sawzall....

But if you're not the sort of person who'll buy any tool they might need more than twice in life, you can cut the flexible plastic cambro lids with a box cutter/utility knife, and the hard poly ones with a hacksaw, either of which will run you less than :10bux:.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I used a hacksaw on my cooler lid, which I still maintain is a better container than a cambro.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I mean, how big is the container? Heating a bathtub to the max line will take longer than if you have the circulator in a gallon pot.

Given the amount of water and how quickly it heated up, you can figure out if the unit is heating as quickly as it's supposed to.

About two gallons but I didn't fill it all the way.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I used a hacksaw on my cooler lid, which I still maintain is a better container than a cambro.

Do you have a cooler you'd recommend for this? I'm getting a little annoyed with the pre-heating time on the random metal pots I've tried so far.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

M. Night Skymall posted:

Do you have a cooler you'd recommend for this? I'm getting a little annoyed with the pre-heating time on the random metal pots I've tried so far.

I've just got a regular hinged-lid coleman - I measured the walls to make sure my anova clamp would fit, then hacked the corned of the lid off so I could close it. It's worked great for two years now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

You can't watch your meats swim around like little fish in an aquarium, therefore inferior.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you're not using an insulated container, in addition to covering the top, put an insulating material (hot pad, dish towel) underneath it too. My Anova takes maybe 10 minutes to go 120->140 with 5L of water. Those numbers are total guesstimates, but I can guarantee you that even with 10L of water, it didn't take an hour to go 120-160 and it held 160 no sweat after dropping 8 pounds of refrigerated meat into it.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Was I supposed to transfer my cooked chicken legs to the fridge inside the ice bath? Because I just chilled them for a few minutes in the bath, then took the bags out and put in fridge. My plan is to sear them in my cast iron tonight for dinner but now I'm worried I either invited bacteria or it's safe but the flavor has been compromised.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DARPA Dad posted:

Was I supposed to transfer my cooked chicken legs to the fridge inside the ice bath? Because I just chilled them for a few minutes in the bath, then took the bags out and put in fridge. My plan is to sear them in my cast iron tonight for dinner but now I'm worried I either invited bacteria or it's safe but the flavor has been compromised.

You're fine. The ice bath is to rapidly bring the temperature down. Once that's done, you have no need for the ice bath.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

You're fine. The ice bath is to rapidly bring the temperature down. Once that's done, you have no need for the ice bath.

Okay great. Am I right in thinking I should put the legs under the broiler to crisp up the skin or stick with the cast iron? Also do I need to do any reheating with my Anova or don't bother? I'm assuming that would defeat the point of the ice bath but I saw some people in this thread doing that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DARPA Dad posted:

Okay great. Am I right in thinking I should put the legs under the broiler to crisp up the skin or stick with the cast iron? Also do I need to do any reheating with my Anova or don't bother? I'm assuming that would defeat the point of the ice bath but I saw some people in this thread doing that.

If you just stick them under the broiler they will be cold in the middle, unless you leave them long enough to cook them all the way through. I would reheat in the annova at a slightly lower temp than what you did originally, then take them out and toss them under the broiler.

For chicken legs I'd probably go with the broiler because you're not dealing with a flat surface.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
OK, I cooked them at 165F for 1 1/2 hours. So, something like 160F for 30 mins should be good, yeah? And then just toss under the broiler for a minute or two?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DARPA Dad posted:

OK, I cooked them at 165F for 1 1/2 hours. So, something like 160F for 30 mins should be good, yeah? And then just toss under the broiler for a minute or two?

Even 140 or 150 would probably be fine. Just want to make sure you get them to serving temp.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah don't be me and toss things in the pan straight from the fridge. Had the most disappointing steak like that as one of my first sous vide adventures. :smith:

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Huh, I wonder why Kenji's recipe says to sear right after taking the chicken out of the fridge.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 14, 2016

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

DARPA Dad posted:

Huh, I wonder why Kenji's recipe says to sear right after taking the chicken out of the fridge.

Chicken thighs are really thin and will reheat through in the time it takes to fry the skin crisp.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Jan posted:

Chicken thighs are really thin and will reheat through in the time it takes to fry the skin crisp.

What about drumsticks without the thighs attached?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

DARPA Dad posted:

What about drumsticks without the thighs attached?

Oh, by "legs", you meant drumsticks. Yeah, my gut feeling is I'd reheat them a bit, they're often a bit thicker than the thighs they come from.

Or better yet -- do science, and try some with reheating, some without reheating, and see which comes out best! :science:

Jan fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 14, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Any advice for cow tongue? I've had lengua tacos before where the tongue was incredibly tender, like a really fine-grained meatloaf, that's what I'm going for.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I received a wifi Anova, Searzall and one of those hand pump ziplock vacuum bag setups for my birthday. I would love some recommendations for my first couple recipes while I stumble through learning this new method. I was thinking I would start with some thick rib cut steaks for my first meal but I'm open to anything that is difficult to screw up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Steaks or the best poached eggs you'll ever have are good starters.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

My first few attempts at sous vide were steaks and chicken (thighs and breasts). poo poo is good.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Just got mine last week and made pulled pork first. Turned out really well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Salmon is also good, because it's so hard to get perfect fish any other way. I like the "mi-cuit" style.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
The drumsticks turned out amazing flavor and texture wise. But they were pretty dang red in the center where the meat met the bone. Am I gonna die? I viddled them at 165F for 1 1/2 hours then chilled in ice bath and transferred to fridge overnight. viddled them again at 145F for 45 mins then seared in cast iron to crisp up the skin. Also I only ate three of the five drumsticks and I put the remaining two in the fridge without chilling in an ice bath. I should not eat those, right?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Eat all the drumsticks

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Eat all the drumsticks

If you mean immediately, I'm full. :(

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

SubG posted:

Dremel, RotoZip, die grinder, angle grinder, Sawzall....

But if you're not the sort of person who'll buy any tool they might need more than twice in life, you can cut the flexible plastic cambro lids with a box cutter/utility knife, and the hard poly ones with a hacksaw, either of which will run you less than :10bux:.

Hole saw (another :10bux: assuming you already own a drill. Everyone should own a drill.) plus hacksaw makes the perfect fit. I don't know why anyone would try to use a dremel, what a PITA.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

DARPA Dad posted:

The drumsticks turned out amazing flavor and texture wise. But they were pretty dang red in the center where the meat met the bone. Am I gonna die? I viddled them at 165F for 1 1/2 hours then chilled in ice bath and transferred to fridge overnight. viddled them again at 145F for 45 mins then seared in cast iron to crisp up the skin. Also I only ate three of the five drumsticks and I put the remaining two in the fridge without chilling in an ice bath. I should not eat those, right?

You won't die but any dark meat on bone should be done for much longer. At least 3-4 hours depending on the size, better at 6-8 hours for texture and flavor.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm... maybe I should sell mine for $1000 right now and buy that swing bucket centrifuge I keep pining for.

edit: okay, I put my used one up for $1000, let's see if there's a restaurant that accidentally breaks one and is desperate to replace it

I've never seen them on Amazon at any price OTHER than $75

how are you supposed to replace these screens? I think I might have f'ed up and touched a food item w/ mine. I've got a little quarter-sized bulge just off center...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Instructions on replacing the screen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wwkg686vys0uee/Searzall_Instructions_Gen2.3.pdf?dl=0

I think a bulge is fine though.