Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Batman was always about a "man who is like a bat and hits people".

Metroid, before Other M, was presumably not about a "whiny woman who justifies being burned alive because her boss that she respects oh so much didn't say she was allowed to not".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Adam literally shot Samus in the back and she was okay with it.

Samus literally turned into a crying baby girl upon seeing Ridley.

I am not using a hyperbolic form of "literally".

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

greatn posted:

The crazy thing about Zero Mission, it fully includes the original Metroid, but was paid by a full priced port of the original Metroid on GBA.

Does it? I didn't know that. Maybe I'll pick it up to play the original first with save states then after being very very pissed off appreciate the upgrades so much more.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

it's weird because in fusion she actively talks back to him and demonstrates limited agency

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

Shot her in the back AND the the game heroicizes him for it because rather than letting the player go into a den of Metroids and have really fast, dangerous, and quick game play having to run from the name-sake the dude blows himself up and you're supposed to go "what a hero!". I remember all the fan theories about how Samus and him had some sort of messed abusive relationship where she idolizes him because of battered housewife syndrome.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Mario struck me as kind of a dick in the first Mario vs. DK game. Totally ruined 3D World for me.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Looper posted:

it's weird because in fusion she actively talks back to him and demonstrates limited agency

Because That's not Adam, she knows it's just a simulation of an Adam based AI

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Silver Falcon posted:

Frankly, what I'm hoping for in the new Metroid is something like... it's revealed that the lady in Other M was not Samus at all, but a wannabe fangirl posing as her. Or it was a bad action movie based on Samus' adventures. Either of those scenarios would explain so much.
This would be bad, just ignore it. Movies/games/comic books have bad episodes all the time where their sequels ignore the bad parts.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Looper posted:

It's because Fusion isn't garbage written by trash, unlike Other M.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Fusion understood that the most dangerous thing in Samus's galaxy was her, so that's why the main villain was herself.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Houle posted:

Does it? I didn't know that. Maybe I'll pick it up to play the original first with save states then after being very very pissed off appreciate the upgrades so much more.

You have to unlock the original game by beating the game IIRC.

You wouldn't want to play the version included in Zero Mission anyway, it suffers from squished/stretched screen is sorta hard to look at because of it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Retro is actually making a Donkey Kong X Metroid

Curious Kong and the Chozo Suit

Diddy was a good little Kong and always very curious. He lived with his friend, the Woman in the Yellow Suit. One day, when the Woman was visiting a space station in her zero suit, Diddy saw the open Yellow suit sitting on the bridge. Diddy knew he was not supposed to touch the suit, but he was very curious.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

greatn posted:

Retro is actually making a Donkey Kong X Metroid

Curious Kong and the Chozo Suit

Diddy was a good little Kong and always very curious. He lived with his friend, the Woman in the Yellow Suit. One day, when the Woman was visiting a space station in her zero suit, Diddy saw the open Yellow suit sitting on the bridge. Diddy knew he was not supposed to touch the suit, but he was very curious.

And then they became pop stars.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's because Fusion isn't garbage written by trash, unlike Other M.

sakamoto was the head guy for both, i'm pretty sure

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The next Metroid game will be by Good-Feel and have a scrap metal aesthetic.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Looper posted:

They share a lot of ideas, Other M just does them way worse despite being more story-focused.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Saoshyant posted:

"The babies."

The baby

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Motto posted:

They share a lot of ideas, Other M just does them way worse despite being more story-focused.

yeah, even if you excised the story and gave it good controls, other m is still just a lifeless copy of fusion with half the sectors and twice the bloat

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

Fusion understood that the most dangerous thing in Samus's galaxy was her, so that's why the main villain was herself.

haha that's actually a cool way to look at it. Fusion def was the best legit attempt at a large-scale story. it's a shame it's the last one canonically because after the events of that game, she's a wanted renegade. I'd love to see the game where she has to fight off her former federation.

considering how poor the sales of metroid are compared to DK, Kirby, and other IPs, we're lucky we got what we did. in hindsight it's nothing short of astounding and miraculous that Fusion, Zero Mission, and the Primes all came out in short spaces of each other. it had been 8 years from Super till Fusion/Prime. Not counting Federation Force (because who would?) we're going on 6 years, so we have a while before we break the record for a drought in the series.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOA put some more games on sale but didn't list them because they're bad: http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers

Injustice: Gods Among Us (Wii U)
Badland: GOTY (Wii U eShop)
Race The Sun (Wii U eShop)
Punch-Out!! (Wii DL)
Sin & Punishment (Wii U VC)
Mega Man Battle Network (Wii U VC)
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (Wii U VC)
Ninja Gaiden (Wii U VC)

Starfox 3D (3DS)
LBX Little Battlers Xperience (3DS)
One Piece Unlimited World Red (3DS)
Retro City Rampage DX (3DS eShop)
Gunman Clive 2 (3DS eShop)
Siesta Fiesta (3DS eShop)
Mega Man Xtreme (3DS VC)
Mighty Final Fight (3DS VC)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Finally, a price at which I'd be willing to pay for Injustice.

Code of Princess is also on sale for $10.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NOA put some more games on sale but didn't list them because they're bad: http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers

Race The Sun (Wii U eShop)
Sin & Punishment (Wii U VC)

Starfox 3D (3DS)
Gunman Clive 2 (3DS eShop)

I assume you mean because NOA is bad at marketing, these above titles are excellent to my personal knowledge/opinion

In particular, everybody should have Race the Sun.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Race The Sun was a PS+ freebie on PS4 sometime last year. It's not terrible, but I'd watch some videos before paying for it.

Speaking of PS4, used copies of Injustice have been like $10-12 for a while now, if you have a PS4 and are interested. It's not bad; it's Mortal Kombat X with DC characters and less violence.

This post brought to you by the Nintendo PlaiiStation 4 U.

Edit: nevermind, I didn't think Nintendo would have Injustice for sale so low. Was expecting like "$29.99 what a deal!"

enojy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 15, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Injustice Wii U didn't get all the DLC characters, just so you know.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh well.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Looper posted:

Yeah, he directed Super Metroid, Fusion, Zero Mission, and .. Other M. He says he's done with traditional games though, and has been doing things like Wario Ware, Rhythm Heaven, and Tomodachi Life. I haven't played Tomodachi Life but Wario Ware and Rhythm Heaven are pretty sweet.

I think Other M might have been a fluke, I dunno

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nothing to do with Wii U but who cares: Toki Tori 2: Idiot Casual Baby Label is coming to PS4 next month, both digital and retail, but there's still no word on whether they'll be ruining the other versions of the game to bring it in line with the PS4 port.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Directors don't mean as much as you might think they do, not when like a hundred different people and 10 different studios are working on one game, and the people working on them are in fact flawed human beings subject to change over time.
The fact is that with Other M pretty much none of those 10 different studios were equipped properly to deliver a decent Metroid game

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Fix posted:

Finally, a price at which I'd be willing to pay for Injustice.

I was looking at that, and even though I am a very casual fighting-game player I was going to get it until I realised this:

I'm not proud of myself.

Not a Children posted:

Every Direct I pray for a new Metroid announcement, and at this point I am totally convinced that a new one will be announced and the trailer released while I am literally on my deathbed

For those of good heart who achieve the Light of Heaven, all Nintendo hardware - past, present and future - is perfectly emulated. So sayeth the Book of Iwata-san, may he watch over us always.

If you were bad, you spend eternity with a Virtual Boy stapled to your eyes, and your hands glued to a broken Game & Watch with sharp edges that shouts profanity at you for all time.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 15, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

Directors don't mean as much as you might think they do, not when like a hundred different people and 10 different studios are working on one game, and the people working on them are in fact flawed human beings subject to change over time.
The fact is that with Other M pretty much none of those 10 different studios were equipped properly to deliver a decent Metroid game

Except that it's well-known that Nintendo has very hands-on Directors overseeing their projects, unlike most studios where it all gets filtered down through middle-management.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
It is also well known that the wiimote sideways was forced upon the team. As well as the story itself. And if I recall correctly as were the cutscenes. Basically it was everyone fighting against a common enemy every step of the way but didn't want to say anything that would get them in any sort of bad broodiness with Nintendo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat mother brain.

And the game kept going :stare:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm pretty sure Sakamoto was just a classic example of the George Lucas phenomenon. He had good ideas and bad ideas and earlier on in his career he worked with people who filtered out the bad ones.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Amppelix posted:

I'm pretty sure Sakamoto was just a classic example of the George Lucas phenomenon. He had good ideas and bad ideas and earlier on in his career he worked with people who filtered out the bad ones.

I think he just tried his hand at something he wasn't good at (writing).

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Only the first MMBN is on sale? :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

From Nintendo's JP blog, another perk of the Nintendo Account: if your Nintendo Account & NNID are linked and you have email notifications turned on, you'll be given unspecified (and probably trivial) software discounts on the month of your birthday.

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/b583f367-b59b-11e5-8b9c-0a6d14145cb1.html

Update: these are the discounted games for January (30% off):

Splatoon
Mario Maker
Xenoblade X
Yoshi's Woolly World
Mario Party 10
Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer
Fire Emblem Fates
Rhythm Heaven The Best Plus
Girls Mode (Style Savvy) 3
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fix posted:

Code of Princess is also on sale for $10.

How does that even work? It's not available on the eshop, and their page is just like "go check other retailers" but the other retailers have it for the same price they've always had it for.

e: oh lmao whoops I'm dumb, it IS available on the eshop and I misunderstood what it was saying on the site lol nevermind

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 15, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

everyone should own Punch Out for wii

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Motto posted:

I think he just tried his hand at something he wasn't good at (writing).

But again it was fine in fusion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The difference between Fusion and Other M (or at least a difference) is that Sakamoto was directly involved in the localisation process for Other M and made specific mandates on the use of words and phrases (including "the baby") despite having little command of English, whereas Fusion was just Treehouse doing what Treehouse usually does.